What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

On 11/4/2017 at 3:20 PM, Lau said:

I found Basilio's fight against Walhart to be heartbreaking. Like, I know he and Robin had planned everything out beforehand, but did Flavia know? I don't think she did, meaning she genuinely thought that Basilio was dead. When she shouts his name, like holy crap man.

Well, she did join with him, so at some point she was clearly brought in on it.

9 hours ago, Ren_Ambrose said:

I dunno man, stamina has never really been an issue for me...

Screenshot_20171105-114619.png

Only 70 potions? They give those things out like candy these days.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Arthur97 said:

Only 70 potions? They give those things out like candy these days.

Well I have used like 50 or so grinding with auto battle in the training tower while i'm at work...

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

I've legit heard the "Treehouse sucks" complaint so many times that i don't take any of them seriously anymore. There are some valid criticisms, yes, but most of them are just blown out of proportion and seen as worse then they actually are. When you use "Treehouse should be chopped down", that's a sign that people should stop taking you seriously.

For once, this is something I agree with you. ;)

But to get into topic, I honestly imo don't get where people are bashing at Lyn being thrash. Sure, her bases are shaky but its not like she still isn't worth using in the long run. Idk. Rutger also has low def and res and has a lower strength growth compared to Lyn and yet he for some reason, people value him better but I can get with that due to his reliability being a blessing though.

But I guess my favoritism towards her is what is bugging me about her utility issues so I suppose I have to grow up and face the fact that she sucks.

12 hours ago, Lucario666 said:

Xenoblade X, Bravely Second, that one DBZ 3DS game, TMS #FE, Fatal Frame 5, and all the exclusive games Europe got that we didn't get all say hi.

Splatoon, its sequel, and Paper Mario: Color Splash (focusing on the latter's localization, not the gameplay) say hello back. I may be missing a few games, too. And the others explained the Europe localizing thing.

Edited by NoirCore

6 hours ago, Harvey said:

For once, this is something I agree with you. ;)

But to get into topic, I honestly imo don't get where people are bashing at Lyn being thrash. Sure, her bases are shaky but its not like she still isn't worth using in the long run. Idk. Rutger also has low def and res and has a lower strength growth compared to Lyn and yet he for some reason, people value him better but I can get with that due to his reliability being a blessing though.

But I guess my favoritism towards her is what is bugging me about her utility issues so I suppose I have to grow up and face the fact that she sucks.

At least she's still better than Eliwood.

Okay so here we go:

Soren is my least favorite FE character of all time

Micaiah is actually a very good character that suffers from poor screentime

As much as I love Ike, he did not need that huge of a spotlight in 10, he had his game

I didn't mind Phoenix mode

Weapon durability sucks and needs to never come back

I'm not a big fan of flier type characters (exception being Haar)

Light magic needs to come back, like immediately xD

5 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

At least she's still better than Eliwood.

Thanks for the positive note! :) Also...just noticed that her stats are almost comparable to that of Fir even....

Edited by Harvey

2 hours ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

Okay so here we go:

Soren is my least favorite FE character of all time

Micaiah is actually a very good character that suffers from poor screentime

I didn't mind Phoenix mode

Weapon durability sucks and needs to never come back

Light magic needs to come back, like immediately xD

OMG, I agree with you on these points, this is exactly what I was going to say.

1. The removal of the magic triangle was stupid and imbalanced magic for all of the games (bishops seriously had no point in awakening)

2. Soren is an idiot and almost all of his advice would have gotten Ike killed if Ike had listened to it

Soren: we should immediately surrender to Daein (Daein immediately kills them to remove any witnesses)

Soren: We can't trust these beastmen and we shouldn't trust them (Daein ambushes the group and slaughters them)

3. I don't care that there's a difficulty I'm never going to use anyway.

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

Thanks for the positive note! :) Also...just noticed that her stats are almost comparable to that of Fir even....

From what I observed playing Blazing Blade, the thing about Eliwood is that he doesn't stand out well enough in any area and thus ends up mediocre in comparison to the other two Lords.

Hector manages to have solid enough Strength and Defense to be the overall best of the three Lords at fighting.

Lyn has a similarly bad start to Eliwood, but at least when trained well and promoted she can make a semi-competent dodgetank.

From this video....

There are a lot of things that I disagree with.

1. I don't understand how they tend to bash both Wil and Rebecca and yet give high praises for Louise. Archers in Blazing Blade are 2 ranged locked so they are obviously not going to be used in frontlines unless when it comes to fliers in which case, none of them will be able to one round then unless the archers are given enough investment. I can understand why they don't want to use either of the archers but saying that Louise is better than both combined is just downright wrong and unfair.

2. Raven getting a low rating is odd unless you're talking about his character. His bases are really good even without hard mode and he can also get access to axes making him a 1-2 range killing machine. That low luck doesn't mean much to him in the long run because enemies don't have enough luck to crit him except the ones with killing edges.

3. The other thing that I don't get is how Lyn gets horrible ratings when Florina, Fiora get higher ratings than her when both of them have horrible bases at their join time.

4.  Renault may not be a good unit in terms of combat but he is certainly one good staff bot as he is the only way to get the fortify staff which is very useful especially towards the endgame.

5. Saying that the Assasin class being the worst and then saying that Jaffar is ok because of his bases is just downright pitiful. If Jaffar has good bases, he's got good bases and being an assasin has nothing to do with his bases. 

1 - I haven't watched the full video, but you are aware that the 5/5 rating is a joke? Anyways, one of Louise's perks is that she has decent damage output right from the start, especially since she starts with the rank to use Silver. She basically skips the part where Wil and Rebecca deal like 3 damage per shot, don't double anything (on HHM), and need constant pampering to stay become relevant. Not god-tier for sure, but decent.

2 - Base crit rate is skill/2 and not dependent of one's luck, so Raven will probably face low% crits quite a lot. Note that Mekkah found Mangs' rating too low as well, at least for promoted Raven, since his offensive parameters are really good.

3 - They can fly. Seriously, that's huge.

4 - People usually don't count the base inventory as a point in a unit's favour. And Renault really comes at a point where he's not relevant anymore. I can't remember how many units you can take to the chapters after he joins, but I don't think there's really room for him at that point.

5 - I'm not sure what you mean, tbh. Jaffar's an OK unit, but his class (i.e. swordlock, no horse) is a point against him.

4 hours ago, Harvey said:

1. I don't understand how they tend to bash both Wil and Rebecca and yet give high praises for Louise.  Archers in Blazing Blade are 2 ranged locked so they are obviously not going to be used in frontlines unless when it comes to fliers in which case, none of them will be able to one round then unless the archers are given enough investment. I can understand why they don't want to use either of the archers but saying that Louise is better than both combined is just downright wrong and unfair.

2. Raven getting a low rating is odd unless you're talking about his character. His bases are really good even without hard mode and he can also get access to axes making him a 1-2 range killing machine. That low luck doesn't mean much to him in the long run because enemies don't have enough luck to crit him except the ones with killing edges.

3. The other thing that I don't get is how Lyn gets horrible ratings when Florina, Fiora get higher ratings than her when both of them have horrible bases at their join time.

4.  Renault may not be a good unit in terms of combat but he is certainly one good staff bot as he is the only way to get the fortify staff which is very useful especially towards the endgame.

5. Saying that the Assasin class being the worst and then saying that Jaffar is ok because of his bases is just downright pitiful. If Jaffar has good bases, he's got good bases and being an assasin has nothing to do with his bases.

1. This is a Mangs video.  Of course they're going to be biased towards Louise.
  2. I agree with this.  The rating he got seems based more on his short-term performance before promotion.  He should at the very least have a higher rating than Guy.
  3. Florina and Fiora probably got higher ratings than Lyn because they have mounted/flying utility whereas Lyn doesn't.  This tends to be more important for ranked runs (like the one that this video is based around).
  4. Being the guy who happens to carry the Fortify staff is rather irrelevant if we're talking about overall performance as a unit.  It's nice that he's rather durable compared to your other magic users, but Athos still outclasses him.
  5. Here I'm starting to struggle seeing what point you're trying to make.

17 hours ago, dragonlordsd said:

2. Soren is an idiot and almost all of his advice would have gotten Ike killed if Ike had listened to it

Soren: we should immediately surrender to Daein (Daein immediately kills them to remove any witnesses)

Soren's advice was sound. Their options were to harbor a fugitive for no real gain or to fight the Daein army that was handily winning the war. It doesn't work out that way because the soldiers were planning to ambush them anyway.

1 hour ago, NekoKnight said:

Soren's advice was sound. Their options were to harbor a fugitive for no real gain or to fight the Daein army that was handily winning the war. It doesn't work out that way because the soldiers were planning to ambush them anyway.

Lol, I don't want to start an argument because

A. This is a thread for unpopular opinions anyway

B. 90% of this is hypothetical

But the gist of it regards how stupid the advice actually is when taken in context of everything going on:

1. Greil is a former Daein general who is guilty of desertion, which is punishable by death

2. Oscar and Titania are both former Crimean knights and would likely be executed by Daein

3. Mist has Lehran's Medallion, which Ashnard is searching for, and would obviously kill her over.

4. Daein's goal in the war is to create as much chaos as possible. They have no actual intention of subjugating Crimea, since Ashnard basically wants to destroy the world anyway.

5. Since the princess's identity is a secret, Daein would need to eliminate anyone who knew about her to keep rumors from spreading.

6. By the time Soren has given this advice, they have already killed over a dozen Daein soldiers, and their comrades are unlikely to forgive that.

I mean, a lot of that Soren couldn't have known, but some of it he definitely should have. It's just funny how egregiously stupid his advice actually is.

Plus, shouldn't he have realized Daein was planning to ambush them? They'd already attacked without waiting for explanation only one chapter before hand. I mean, what did Soren think, they were just going to say "Oh, no problem that you killed a bunch of our comrades, we'll totally let that slide." 

Edited by dragonlordsd

19 hours ago, Armagon said:

Is that an unpopular opinion though? I think everyone wants Light Magic back.

I've seen a surprising amount of people saying that magic being all 1 type is for the better, and that it should stay that way.

And at that point, bringing back light magic would be for purely aesthetic reasons.

Edited by Slumber

Just now, dragonlordsd said:
Spoiler

Lol, I don't want to start an argument because

A. This is a thread for unpopular opinions anyway

B. 90% of this is hypothetical

But the gist of it regards how stupid the advice actually is when taken in context of everything going on:

1. Greil is a former Daein general who is guilty of desertion, which is punishable by death

2. Oscar and Titania are both former Crimean knights and would likely be executed by Daein

3. Mist has Lehran's Medallion, which Ashnard is searching for, and would obviously kill her over.

4. Daein's goal in the war is to create as much chaos as possible. They have no actual intention of subjugating Crimea, since Ashnard basically wants to destroy the world anyway.

5. Since the princess's identity is a secret, Daein would need to eliminate anyone who knew about her to keep rumors from spreading.

I mean, a lot of that Soren couldn't have known, but some of it he definitely should have. It's just funny how egregiously stupid his advice actually is.

Plus, shouldn't he have realized Daein was planning to ambush them? They'd already attacked without waiting for explanation only one chapter before hand. I mean, what did Soren think, they were just going to say "Oh, no problem that you killed a bunch of our comrades, we'll totally let that slide." 

I'll put this in spoilers so people can scroll past it if they like.

Spoiler

1. I don't think Greil's identity is well known. Petrine doesn't recognize him at all and she's a high ranking general. Does Soren know Greil's real identity?
2. They're mercenaries now. Daein isn't the Spanish Inquisition, they're just here to conquer Crimea and defeat their army. I don't know why they'd look into the backgrounds of Oscar and Titania.
3. Does Soren know Ashnard is after Mist's medallion?
4. Again, does Soren know this?
5. Rumors of what? Why do they need to keep her existence a secret? My understanding is they just wanted to kill her.

Last point, they were attacked on the road last time because they were armed and the Daein solders were convinced they were Crimean soldiers. The Daein approached them at the fort and gave them the option of surrendering the princess and leaving or dying. As far as Soren could know, they wouldn't have a reason to fight if they got what they came for. I don't think there were any survivors of the last battle. If there were, do you think Greil would even discuss their options, knowing Daein would be out for blood?

You're saying Soren is an idiot for not knowing things he couldn't possibly know. His advice was the most pragmatic, albeit cold and indifferent.

Oh, I haven't posted in this one.

• I really don't like Hector at all, he's my least favorite lord in the series, discounting maybe some of the avatar characters. I guess I can see the appeal to some, but I really don't like him at all.
  • The series is horrible at writing romance and romantic supports, I can count on one hand the ones I actually buy as working out.
  • I don't mind Robin as an avatar character at all. I find them to be the best of any game we've gotten, I enjoy them in general.
  • I think Corrin's character and how they act make sense for the most part, although they definitely shouldn't be the main character.
  • It's not necessary for weapon durability to come back, long as everything is balanced around it.
  • Magic triangle really does not need to come back.
  • Dismount is a horrible mechanic.
  • I don't think much should change if an FE4 remake were to happen.
  • FE7's story is horrendous, if Fates didn't exist I would still call it the worst of the series by a landslide.
  • I don't like Ephraim.
  • Eirika is not stupid for her controversial decision, it fits in her character and a lot of people would have done something similar if in the same situation.
  • Likewise, I don't think Celica's makes any sense at all.
  • I adore Micaiah and I don't like FE10 Ike at all.

I believe most of these are unpopular, apologies if some aren't.
Edited by Sophie

21 hours ago, Armagon said:

Is that an unpopular opinion though? I think everyone wants Light Magic back.

Eh, as long as they don't call Lightning a light magic tome. Seriously, just because it has light in the name, doesn't mean it makes sense.

2 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

I'll put this in spoilers so people can scroll past it if they like.

Whoops, thanks.

But again, this is not the thread for these arguments. I've stated what I think.

If you want to argue this out, we'll have to do so somewhere else.

• I was never a fan of weapon durability, i know it adds a strategic element, but whenever i go back to play the OG games i hack myself 99 durability etc.
  • Pegasus knights are lame, and i hate training them. They don't feel great until pretty much the end of the game, only in echoes did they feel good the whole game
  • Sword lords are my least favorite lords. Favorite lords being Hector, Ephraim etc
  • Baby making and super romantic supports are lame
  • Time traveling kid stuff is stupid, should of done it like FE4 did it. If it's not really integrated into the story it's retarded
  • Never played PoR or RD, but they seemed relatively uninteresting.
  • Continuing on the above point, laguz are lame

4 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:
  1. Here I'm starting to struggle seeing what point you're trying to make.

The issue is the class Jaffar is stuck in. Like what does his class have anything to do with him being just meh? And that is what I don't get. Saying that he is meh because he's an assassin is really an odd reason especially when you consider that he's the best assassin in the entire game because he doesn't need much of investment. 

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

The issue is the class Jaffar is stuck in. Like what does his class have anything to do with him being just meh? And that is what I don't get. Saying that he is meh because he's an assassin is really an odd reason especially when you consider that he's the best assassin in the entire game because he doesn't need much of investment. 

From what I can tell, the reason Mangs thinks Jaffar is only meh is because he's in a class with only 6 Movement that's locked to 1-Range fighting.  From this perspective, being the best in a subpar class is not particularly impressive.

I'm not saying this is the right way to think, I'm just trying to help you understand.