What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

Probably alone with this one, but I actually don't have much of a problem with Cantors in Shadows of Valentia. I find they add a fun element of tension to some battles, and sniping them with an archer from afar and having a bunch of Terrors instantly disappear is immensely satisfying.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, Funky Tim said:

Probably alone with this one, but I actually don't have much of a problem with Cantors in Shadows of Valentia. I find they add a fun element of tension to some battles, and sniping them with an archer from afar and having a bunch of Terrors instantly disappear is immensely satisfying.

Nope, not alone :)

They’re also pretty useful for level grinding if you let them keep summoning terrors.

7 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

Also, I'm pretty sure Eirika is comfortably more popular than Micaiah. 

Yeah, I double checked CYL results and I think it's Lyn > Lucina > Celica > Eirika > Micaiah.

I assumed she scored a lot better the second time around because I have seen a lot more positive talk about her on her and the reddit sub.

2 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

Yeah, I double checked CYL results and I think it's Lyn > Lucina > Celica > Eirika > Micaiah.

I assumed she scored a lot better the second time around because I have seen a lot more positive talk about her on her and the reddit sub.

I think Eirika could have scored even higher and won second place but she received an alt two days into CYL2. CYL polls aren't true popularity polls but I guess it's the best we have since internet forum polls have a narrower sampling space and much more skew. I think Eirika is pretty much guaranteed to win CYL3 since she's pretty much the same character as Celica so I see most Celica fans voting for the other naive princess which combined with the preexisting Eirika supporters, will make it hard to top her. 

3 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

I think Eirika could have scored even higher and won second place but she received an alt two days into CYL2. CYL polls aren't true popularity polls but I guess it's the best we have since internet forum polls have a narrower sampling space and much more skew. I think Eirika is pretty much guaranteed to win CYL3 since she's pretty much the same character as Celica so I see most Celica fans voting for the other naive princess which combined with the preexisting Eirika supporters, will make it hard to top her. 

Assuming that by the time CYL3 happens we don't get another Tharja/Camilla (meaning an extremely popular character) you're probably right. You're right that CYL results aren't too reliable but I make an exception for Celica because she wasn't available in the first CYL and yet she still managed to get a lot of votes.

50 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

You're right...I just happened to completely forgot her.

Just argue that Lucina isn't a proper lord character, despite the class name.

53 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

Assuming that by the time CYL3 happens we don't get another Tharja/Camilla (meaning an extremely popular character) you're probably right. You're right that CYL results aren't too reliable but I make an exception for Celica because she wasn't available in the first CYL and yet she still managed to get a lot of votes.

History Lesson Time!

Celica was in the first CYL - Shadows of Valentia is a remake of Fire Emblem Gaiden, the second game, and she can be found under the list of characters in Gaiden in the first CYL. It's just that the people who knew about Gaiden at the time of the first CYL realized that pretty much nobody from Gaiden stood a ghost of a chance due to the game being so old(it's on the original Famicom if memory serves, meaning the Japanese version of the original Nintendo, long before they even considered internationalizing the series five games and one Smash Bros later) and so she was ranked FAAAR lower(118th, between Rebecca from Blazing Sword and Forrest from Fates). Even then, 118th is pretty impressive, and I credit at least some small part of her popularity also coming from her appearances as an Einherjar in Awakening(once in the Spotpass Einherjar and once in the DLC Einherjar).

Edited by SoulWeaver
accidental early post

On 4/26/2018 at 1:45 PM, Icelerate said:

She probably will win considering a lot of people stopped voting for her because of her first alt being revealed (before anyone knew alts on new banners were going to become the new regular and Eirika wasn't unique in this regard). Still, I think OCs are just going to get more popular. Veronica and Loki both ranked highly and I could see the other Muspell girls fighting for the top ranks (Laegjarn please). Not all Heroes players played Sacred Stones, but all have played Heroes.

On 4/26/2018 at 12:32 AM, Hecatia Lapislazuli said:

FE5 is the Revolution in FE regarding game mechanics for me and way more modern than anything past FE10.

I, being a huge FE5 fan boy, obviously agree. 

Barring the now traditional support system that FE6 added, I don't feel like any game besides FE10 since FE5 has really meaningfully built off of it. There have been plenty of new features since, but... I can't say I exactly like them, or feel like they meaningfully add to the "core" FE experience. The most I've liked FE since 10(Which would be 10 and Conquest), I like for having polished/well executed features that were present in 5, while virtually everything else in those games... Well, again, I'll say I'm not a fan. 

Echoes is the one exception, but it is such an anomaly as far as FE games go that it kind of just stands on its own. 

On 26.4.2018 at 3:04 AM, Funky Tim said:

Nope, you're not alone.
I myself wonder why people consider them annoying. I mean, their summons are basically free EXP, so what gives?

On 26/04/2018 at 12:53 AM, Hekselka said:

Well I wasn't taking into account FE16 characters just yet because for all we know, the game gets delayed. 

On 28/04/2018 at 11:15 AM, NekoKnight said:

She probably will win considering a lot of people stopped voting for her because of her first alt being revealed (before anyone knew alts on new banners were going to become the new regular and Eirika wasn't unique in this regard). Still, I think OCs are just going to get more popular. Veronica and Loki both ranked highly and I could see the other Muspell girls fighting for the top ranks (Laegjarn please). Not all Heroes players played Sacred Stones, but all have played Heroes.

Now that Veronica is out of the picture, I can see Loki winning since a lot of people might just do it as a joke vote and think her winning would be funny. Maybe by CYL4, Micaiah can get a shot at winning. 

On 26/4/2018 at 12:32 AM, Hecatia Lapislazuli said:

FE5 is the Revolution in FE regarding game mechanics for me and way more modern than anything past FE10.

I agree, FE5 and FE10 are some of my favorite games, and the games between them are mostly simplifations of the things these games did/would do (but I still love FE6 for creating the Suppor Conversations and having a Solid Map Design).

12 hours ago, Icelerate said:

Well I wasn't taking into account FE16 characters just yet because for all we know, the game gets delayed.

You don't  have to delay a game if you never talk about it

4 hours ago, Martin said:

Fire Emblem should stick to Hero's class system, where there are no classes. 

That's definitely not one I've heard before. Out of curiosity, what about the lack of a Class system appeals to you?

Heroes basically has classes, though (sword infantry, sword cavalry, etc.), although it does get rid of some of the pointless first-tier duplicate classes like combining myrmidon and mercenary, or fighter and barbarian.