What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

15 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

While I personally think the 3DS games have very strong music, I think the Tellius games have a lot of very underrated gems. A shame not all of PoR's music is extended on YouTube.

Genealogy also stands out, though whether in good or bad might depend on the person's tastes.

I think the Tellius games have a lot of good tracks in them. power hungry fool, on black wings, caineghis theme,  Elincia/pelleas theme, etc.

But my unpopular opinion is that I found the battle music in the tellius game to be lacking. I always found it loud and lacking in a coolness/catchyness factor that other Fire emblem games had.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/8/2018 at 3:50 AM, Slumber said:

Then again, aside from a few tunes here and there, I think the FE franchise has had pretty unremarkable music as a whole.

I'm the opposite here. Pretty much every song I heard is pretty epic. The only ones that I was least bothered are the ones from Fates because Fates ost was just bland with minor exceptions.

As for my unpopular opinion, I can see where people are complaining with the issues that holy war has to which I say ok. But Its still a solid game and considering that its one of the few dark Nintendo games out there, I think people will value it for that reason.

Don’t know unpopular this is but

Offensive proc skills that don’t have a really good proc rates aren’t good. Skills like Luna and Lethality for example. It’s not a negative, but they’re extremely unreliable, and if I can’t count on a skill procing, it might as well not be there. Skills like Sol and Astra (fates) can get away with it since they’re defensive skills, and they improve durability when facing large enemy phases. It’s far better to rely on a skill like sol than a skill like Luna because if you need sol you have enough opportunities to activate it to where it could, depending on the situation, be a reliable way of increasing durability while Luna is never going to be reliable enough to count on it increasing offense.

1 hour ago, Aut said:

Offensive proc skills that don’t have a really good proc rates aren’t good. Skills like Luna and Lethality for example. 

Luna not being good is mildly unpopular, it depends on the game.

Lethality being unreliable is mostly agreed on in the communities I've seen.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

On 5/12/2018 at 3:06 AM, Emperor Hardin said:

Lethality being unreliable is mostly agreed on in the communities I've seen.

Really though..why is it even a skill? Even if a boss were to have it, having someone with high skill and luck ensures that the boss would hardly activate it.

4 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Really though..why is it even a skill? Even if a boss were to have it, having someone with high skill and luck ensures that the boss would hardly activate it.

Easy.  Because they thought it would be cool.

22 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Easy.  Because they thought it would be cool.

Well it is cool admittedly..its just not useful in theory.

Edited by Harvey

Playable generic units. We should have them! (and not just in DLC)

It would be nice to just have some throw away units that the game would give you in some cases such as fog wars for baiting/rushing or GTFO chapters for rushing/stalling. How they would be handled when the chapter ends is something I'm not too sure about, but playable generic units could be pretty sweet to have on some chapters here and there. 

42 minutes ago, Martin said:

It would be nice to just have some throw away units that the game would give you in some cases such as fog wars for baiting/rushing or GTFO chapters for rushing/stalling. How they would be handled when the chapter ends is something I'm not too sure about, but playable generic units could be pretty sweet to have on some chapters here and there. 

That could work. Or we could give some particularly famous generic units, such as Mr. 3-13, actual personalities.

Edited by Zawisza Czarny

1 hour ago, Martin said:

Fates gives you these if you use Capture. You can convince mooks to fight for you and can control them. 

2 hours ago, Martin said:

The DS Archanea games do this!  But you have to kill off a chunk of your roster for them to show up.

9 hours ago, eclipse said:

The DS Archanea games do this!  But you have to kill off a chunk of your roster for them to show up.

And that's why, nobody would WANT to do it in the first place. I mean..the idea of keeping characters alive is the main strategy of fire emblem so why waste that element with generics?

Also...doesn't Echoes/Gaiden technically do this as well? I believe you can summon generics that while you can't play as them, you can heal them and you get some whom are quite durable.

so I haven't fully completed all the GBA games or PoR so I have no clue how much weight this opinion holds. However i would prefer too many supports over too little because at least with too many supports there's more opportunity to see different sides to these characters even if there ends up being plenty of dull supports.   

44 minutes ago, Otts486 said:

so I haven't fully completed all the GBA games or PoR so I have no clue how much weight this opinion holds. However i would prefer too many supports over too little because at least with too many supports there's more opportunity to see different sides to these characters even if there ends up being plenty of dull supports.   

That's kind of my problem with the "more is better" approach to supports in recent games. There are so many and they can't all be winners and since the writers have to make so many the quality goes down resulting in a ton of bad or boring or pointless one overshadowing the good ones that actually add to the characters. Gimmick characters are way more prominent in Awakening and Fates because it was easier to write gimmicks than characters who added to the story or the world. Maybe this is my unpopular opinion but I would rather see 3 or 4 meaningful supports rather that 20 bits of fluff that do nothing for the characters or the world.

2 hours ago, Modamy said:

Maybe this is my unpopular opinion but I would rather see 3 or 4 meaningful supports rather that 20 bits of fluff that do nothing for the characters or the world.

Oh, I'm with you here.  Fates's Support system left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth and it would be nice to see some more quality over quantity in the next game.

57 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Oh, I'm with you here.  Fates's Support system left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth and it would be nice to see some more quality over quantity in the next game.

I actually saw Fates as a bit if a step up in that regard. Still really, really bad, but the amount of supports where people said absolutely nothing of substance felt cut down compared to Awakening. Well, for characters that weren't reprehensible. 

It was like, 90% fluff and filler compared to 95% fluff and filler. 

Edited by Slumber

6 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I actually saw Fates as a bit if a step up in that regard. Still really, really bad, but the amount of supports where people said absolutely nothing of substance felt cut down compared to Awakening. Well, for characters that weren't reprehensible. 

It was like, 90% fluff and filler compared to 95% fluff and filler. 

My main issue with Fates was "everyone supporting everyone" for the sake of people into weird crackships resulting in characters who have no business talking to one another having Supports they don't need (Nyx x Subaki, for example) and characters who SHOULD have Supports with each other (Ryoma x Scarlet, Jakob x Flora) not getting them.

I don't know if Awakening had this to the same extent, since it's been years since I've played it as a result of losing my copy on a trip somewhere.

12 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

I don't find anything wrong with most of the gimmick characters 

I don't really hate gimmick characters. My problem is that I hate the amount of gimmick characters. Path of Radiance has Gatrie, Makalov and Mia who I all love because of how stupidly hilarious they are, but the difference there is that there are comparatively more characters with actual depth.

26 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I don't know if Awakening had this to the same extent, since it's been years since I've played it as a result of losing my copy on a trip somewhere.

I think Awakening mainly had that as an issue for Basilio, Flavia and the spotpass character who could only support with Robin even though all of them had preexisting relationships with other characters that would have made for interesting supports.

Ex. Chrom with Emmeryn (his freakin' sister doesn't get a support with him), Gangrel or Walhart, Basilio with Lon'qu and Olivia, Yen'fay with Say'ri, Aversa with Gangrel, Emmeryn with Lissa (yet again her sister), or Walhart with Virion.

4 minutes ago, Rose482 said:

I found Fates and Awakening supports to be better than Echoes's supports.

You're not alone here. I liked echoes supports, but I enjoyed Fateswakening supports more

On 5/22/2018 at 4:52 AM, Harvey said:

And that's why, nobody would WANT to do it in the first place. I mean..the idea of keeping characters alive is the main strategy of fire emblem so why waste that element with generics?

It's incredibly helpful for drafts.  The generics also come with iron weapons, which can either be used or sold.

On 5/22/2018 at 7:52 AM, Harvey said:

Actually the main idea of FE casts (and why they used to be so gigantic) was that they were effectively replacements if people died. That was the older mentality anyways.

Also the generics tend to have funny stats and people use them for challenge/goofy runs.