What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

2 hours ago, henrymidfields said:

For a future title, I would like to see a late-Renaissance/early-Industrial setting with early gunpowder units and weapons. And deconstruct the tropes associated with medieval warfare, as armies try to master the newly invented technology to one-up each other.

That sounds fucking awesome I'm with you on that 

Maybe we could have magic imparted into the bullets or something??

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Maybe we could have magic imparted into the bullets or something??

Nah, they haven't actually figured out gunpowder all the way, so only mages can use guns because they use Wind and Fire Magic to launch the bullets.

14 hours ago, henrymidfields said:

For a future title, I would like to see a late-Renaissance/early-Industrial setting with early gunpowder units and weapons. And deconstruct the tropes associated with medieval warfare, as armies try to master the newly invented technology to one-up each other.

I think that would be pretty cool. They should show a evolution of war as antiquated methods of combat (like bow and arrows) are phased out compared to firearms. One country could fall to another because of their inability to adapt.

15 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

I think that would be pretty cool. They should show a evolution of war as antiquated methods of combat (like bow and arrows) are phased out compared to firearms. One country could fall to another because of their inability to adapt.

And by "inability to adapt", that would to some extent almost assuredly mean "hasn't built a superweapon of immensely destructive power". Behold the Megido Cannon! With this Fire Emblem I stole, I shall blast the capital of Valkurisis off the map! 

Less cliches and more serious, the mixed gunpowder-conventional era of warfare would be quite interesting for IS to try their hands at. Fire lances certainly couldn't replace and overpower swords and thunder magic, nor flintlocks necessarily.

44 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Less cliches and more serious, the mixed gunpowder-conventional era of warfare would be quite interesting for IS to try their hands at. Fire lances certainly couldn't replace and overpower swords and thunder magic, nor flintlocks necessarily.

Magic definitely adds a new dimension to the balance of power. One of the biggest advantages of guns is the relative ease of training and lack of strength required. One could make a setting where magic still outperforms firearms in most respects but the number of people who can effectively use magic is much less than firearms.

1 hour ago, NekoKnight said:

Magic definitely adds a new dimension to the balance of power. One of the biggest advantages of guns is the relative ease of training and lack of strength required. One could make a setting where magic still outperforms firearms in most respects but the number of people who can effectively use magic is much less than firearms.

...Looks like my opinion wasn't THAT unpopular after all... :P

On a more serious note, I've been reading one of the books from Oxford Univ Press's Very Short Introduction series, aptly titled Military Strategy. In one passage, the major reason why the Japanese lost in World War 2 was due to how much more difficult replacing downed fighter planes and pilots compared to American ones, due to both lack of population and resources. Maybe we could have a end-of-an-era story where a former empire was long the center of magic learning, and how its magicians were the best in the world. The empire however, became complacent while the smaller nations sought ways to overcome their strategic disadvantage. The art of magic eventually collapses as it and conventional weapons gradually became antiquated forms of warfare. While the empire had the initial advantage due to their strong military and magic tradition and training, she finds herself unable to overcome the mass swathes of rapidly produced and trained rifle soldiers overwhelming her elite sages. The empire falls, and a new federation becomes the superpower. Amidst this, there are also sub-stories from individual characters vary in their responses to the technological changes. Some characters embrace the change, while others actively resist, and some others stay in denial, all which are discussed in support conversations.

1 minute ago, Slumber said:

I don't think that one is unpopular. 

Yeah I think a lot of people didn't want the children 

16 minutes ago, cellimen45 said:
  • I  hate Owain.
  • Myrmidon is the best class.
  • We don't need casual mode.
  • Kids should not have been in Fates.

how dare you insult best awakening child!

Myrmidons are awesome, they always end up as some of my best units

care to explain on why you don't think we need causal mode?

6 hours ago, cellimen45 said:
  • I  hate Owain.
  • Myrmidon is the best class.
  • We don't need casual mode.
  • Kids should not have been in Fates.

I mean, casual mode just exists. You can pretend it's not there pretty easily. But don't speak for others.

7 hours ago, cellimen45 said:

We don't need casual mode.

What mean we, Kimosabe? Are you suggesting we just pick between Normal and Phoenix? I actually enjoy being able to just play for the Story while still having some risk.

I can't say I like casual mode since Fire Emblem isn't balanced around it. In most cases your units are significantly more powerful than the enemy and so the danger is never about your units getting overpowered in single combat but about them being swarmed to death by multiple opponents. If Units don't stay dead then there's nothing stopping a player from ignoring all risks and throw stronger units at the enemy until they are all died.

But I don't exactly mind casual mode either as long as its easy to ignore which it has always been. 

Phoenix mode is another matter since I don't see the point of it. I understand that perma dead is perhaps a bit too stressful for people and that being able to avoid it makes the series more accessible. But if perma death can already be disabled and if a casual mode run provides zero risks than what's the audience for phoenix mode? The enemy winning in casual mode because they rout your entire party seems an incredibly unlikely, if not negligible outcome. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

4 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

But if perma death can already be disabled and if a casual mode run provides zero risks than what's the audience for phoenix mode?

To sell Heirs of Fate, clearly - so long as nobody dies on the very last turn you can lose basically everyone you want and still get that Breaker Scroll.

On 7/11/2018 at 3:07 AM, henrymidfields said:

In one passage, the major reason why the Japanese lost in World War 2 was due to how much more difficult replacing downed fighter planes and pilots compared to American ones, due to both lack of population and resources.

Didn't Japan lose fighter pilots more regularly than the United States as well? They didn't make particularly well armored planes.

Firearms might be neat, I guess. I think it would be good to focus on one a more transitional period, maybe base things off of one of the so-called "Gunpowder Empires," have people trading for these new weapons, etc.

I like Makalov, he's one of my favorite Tellius characters.

Myrmidons are kinda lame and swordmasters are super overrated.

Fire Emblem has always been an anime game and that has always been a bad thing.

1 minute ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Didn't Japan lose fighter pilots more regularly than the United States as well? They didn't make particularly well armored planes.

Many of which were lost owing to pilot inexperience before they even got to the battlefront. Japanese pilots had to make long flights from island to island over open water with increasingly less experience, they couldn't just be shipped over in a boat. Decreasing plane performance with pilots who navigate less effectively, and in some cases, you'd be lucky if 1 in 10 pilots and their planes made to the final destination where they then got shot down in battle.

For more, read How the War was Won: Air-Sea Power and Allied Victory in World War II (2015), it's a fun, readable book. The primary argument isn't perfectly sound: air and sea power making up a majority of the budget has not necessarily anything to do with their importance as their higher cost; and the air and sea wars exist to support the land conquest. But this faults aside, I really loved it and it is a solid work.

- Awakening's soundtrack is underwhelming.

I know this is highly subjectiv, but with how many people I've heard hyping it up, it ought to be mentioned. None of the tracks stood out to me in any way. It felt like all the songs were the same understated melody. I honestly can't remember a single tracks name aside from Id - purpose, because that's usually what people say is the best one. It sounds like standard battle music to me, not a climatic one.

Again, this is just my taste in music differing, but Awakening's soundtrack left me with no actual impression or fondness for it.

9 hours ago, Nanima said:

- Awakening's soundtrack is underwhelming.

I know this is highly subjectiv, but with how many people I've heard hyping it up, it ought to be mentioned. None of the tracks stood out to me in any way. It felt like all the songs were the same understated melody. I honestly can't remember a single tracks name aside from Id - purpose, because that's usually what people say is the best one. It sounds like standard battle music to me, not a climatic one.

Again, this is just my taste in music differing, but Awakening's soundtrack left me with no actual impression or fondness for it.

For the most part I kind of agree, but I did find three tracks that I loved: The track from Chapter 10(can't remember the name, it's some reference to Emmeryn's sacrifice or something), Divine Decree, and...I think it's Destiny, I tend to get it and Conquest mixed up in my head sometimes. Other than these three, though, none of it really stood out.

On 7/13/2018 at 12:50 AM, NoirCore said:

I mean, casual mode just exists. You can pretend it's not there pretty easily. But don't speak for others.

This is the unpopular opinion thread. I'm not speaking for others I'm just stating my opinion. I feel it makes the game incredibly easy because I feel it's rather hard to lose your whole team in a single fight. It also breaks the immersion oh I got beat up but despite them trying to kill me I and all my teammates will always escape without dying. I know the chance of it being removed is low and I don't care if it is there or not. 

On 7/13/2018 at 1:06 AM, SoulWeaver said:

What mean we, Kimosabe? Are you suggesting we just pick between Normal and Phoenix? I actually enjoy being able to just play for the Story while still having some risk.

I forgot about the existence of Phoenix mode but that I also believe is unnecessary.

23 hours ago, cellimen45 said:

This is the unpopular opinion thread. I'm not speaking for others I'm just stating my opinion. I feel it makes the game incredibly easy because I feel it's rather hard to lose your whole team in a single fight. It also breaks the immersion oh I got beat up but despite them trying to kill me I and all my teammates will always escape without dying. I know the chance of it being removed is low and I don't care if it is there or not. 

I forgot about the existence of Phoenix mode but that I also believe is unnecessary.

If you're not speaking for others, don't say "we don't need it". You're welcome to say you don't need it, but you stepped beyond "just stating my opinion".

• Donnel isn't that hard to train on Normal difficulty, and it is possible to use him on Hard (haven't played lunatic, but the demo told me enough). Even without grinding, you can get him to a high enough level if you force him into every chapter early on, and take advantage of Kellam's high defense bonus. He can surprisingly hold his own very well.
  • Kellam's gimmick is nowhere near as prevalent as some people make it out to be.
  • Cavalier is the best option for Kliff.
  • Early access to Excalibur doesn't automatically make Tobin a good mage.
  • Outside of story dialogue and supports, Nomah has some of the funnier lines in the game (or at least, the delivery is funny).
  • IS needs to stop giving Jeigans powerful weapons early on, as it defeats the purpose of them weakening enemies so others can take the kill.
  • Speaking of Jeigans, they should be optional, and not just in the "then don't use them" way. Give the player the choice of whether or not they'll take the jeigan unit for the whole adventure, or if they want an average unit or a trainee instead.
  • The combat animations for Three Houses look like a downgrade from what we saw in Shadows of Valentia. Granted, the game still has some time before it releases, so I'm willing to forgive several of the unpolished visuals. Still, it didn't make the greatest of first impressions for the in-game presentation.
Edited by Hawkwing

18 hours ago, NoirCore said:

If you're not speaking for others, don't say "we don't need it". You're welcome to say you don't need it, but you stepped beyond "just stating my opinion".

true I apologize for not wording correctly I meant fire emblem does not need casual mode.

On 7/13/2018 at 8:14 AM, Etrurian emperor said:

I can't say I like casual mode since Fire Emblem isn't balanced around it. In most cases your units are significantly more powerful than the enemy and so the danger is never about your units getting overpowered in single combat but about them being swarmed to death by multiple opponents. If Units don't stay dead then there's nothing stopping a player from ignoring all risks and throw stronger units at the enemy until they are all died.

Phoenix mode is another matter since I don't see the point of it. I understand that perma dead is perhaps a bit too stressful for people and that being able to avoid it makes the series more accessible. But if perma death can already be disabled and if a casual mode run provides zero risks than what's the audience for phoenix mode? The enemy winning in casual mode because they rout your entire party seems an incredibly unlikely, if not negligible outcome. 

The recent games sure have been though to some degree, for better or worse. At least, in regard to the side chapters in FE13/14 that, if said unit dies before they reach an S-Support, tough luck. As far as the main campaign strictly, sure though

Some people find Conquest to be too difficult for them that this is the best way for them to actually enjoy it. And it's not like having the crutch means the player's just going to say "fuck strategy" and charge in-guns-blazing just because they can. As for Casual mode If a character falls, they lose all Exp and support points(?) gained in that battle, making for said unit to potentially fall behind, which in a game with limited exp, will make that unit useless, unless you invest resources to make up for it (which are also limited in Conquest). 

5 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

Early access to Excalibur doesn't automatically make Tobin a good mage.

finally someone else who agrees with me on this! Thank you! Archer Tobin every day!

anyway 

I liked Echoes map design 

10 hours ago, Hawkwing said:
  • Early access to Excalibur doesn't automatically make Tobin a good mage.
  • Outside of story dialogue and supports, Nomah has some of the funnier lines in the game (or at least, the delivery is funny).
  • IS needs to stop giving Jeigans powerful weapons early on, as it defeats the purpose of them weakening enemies so others can take the kill.

Agreed with all of these

4 hours ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

I liked Echoes map design 

This, too.

---

• Adding to the Jeigan stuff: I hate it when Fire Emblem just hands you a unit that is overpowered from the word 'go' and makes every other unit obsolete just by existing. This is especially glaring since FE is a franchise about building an army (as in, more than one person) and trusting nobody
  • Another one about Jeigans: With the exception of Titania, Frederick and maybe Gunter (wow, that's a weird thing to say), every Jeigan, at least from the games I've played, is so generic and one-dimensional, it hurts.
  • Ilyana is better than Soren, both in FE9 and FE10
  • FE Warriors' story is not bad. Basic, yes, but not bad
  • Conquest has some of the shittiest map design I have ever seen
  • Shadow Dragon's writing was excellent
  • You can like a character without wanting to... you know, do the thingies with them.
  • Magvel is one of the most boring and underdeveloped continents, second only to *drumroll* Fateslandia

I don't like Ike and I don't like how he's praised as the "strongest" hero. And don't give that slaying a god thing. Some of the others probably could have done that too with the right backup that Ike got. To put it into context, he probably couldn't beat several of the final bosses in the series because he lacks a dragon killing weapon.

Edited by Arthur97