What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

21 hours ago, The Dread Pirate Roberts said:

I personally think the roster for Fire Emblem Warriors was poorly planned.

I don't really think that is an unpopular opinion, due to all the complaints when FEW was released about lacking much Pre-3DS representation

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FE1 is well worth playing and not the worst FE game
  • FE4's mechanics are all fun and the map design is amazing
  • FE5 has the most relatable cast
  • FE6 is hot garbage
  • FE7 is the most boringly average FE game
  • FE8 has the highest quantity of best girls in the series
  • FE9 looks better than FE10
  • Every Laguz character bar Tibarn is awful, and even then Tibarn only barely scrapes by
  • FE9 had the best voice acting in the series  I jest, FE10 had the best voice acting in the series
  • FE11 is also hot garbage 
  • FE13 has the worst implementation of child units
  • The snow map in Revelations was actually fun
  • Most maps in Revelations were actually good
  • Alm is the best lord in the series
  • Lyn is overrated, both in terms of unit and character. Although she has an amazing design
  • The Fates royals are all good characters (bar Hinoka)
  • Warrior's roster was pretty good
  • TMS's localization censorship made sense and wasn't a detriment to the game

5 hours ago, DiogoJorge said:

Marcus from Blazing Sword is not good beyond early game. Been telling people that a lot, but they don't get it.

But he can KILL THINGS.....who cares if his growths suck, he can carry the early game on his OWN, who cares if the rest of the units get screwed over if you did that though....

Just kidding, I agree with you, he's NOT better than Lyn.

36 minutes ago, DarthR0xas said:
  • FE5 has the most relatable cast
  • FE9 looks better than FE10

The top one is ...interesting.  Please explain.

I can wholeheartedly agree with the bottom statement.  Radiant Dawn's artstyle looks a little too polished (shiny?) for my tastes.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

46 minutes ago, Rose482 said:

who cares if the rest of the units get screwed over if you did that though....

I leveled up Marcus to 20 and he reached that in VoD and still killed enemies and survived well enough. My other units were also 20/20 so oh  I don't know, obviously funneling all exp into him is a bad idea, just a bad idea as funneling all into one unit, but if you use him like a regular unit then that's how he should be used in a non-LTC playthrough.

Also Lyn just needs too many good level ups before being good she doesn't dodgetank until all my other units are tanking and doing more damage than her and doubling things in which she loses her purpose for having no utility besides her lackluster combat.

Another unpopular opinion I have, Lyn is not that beautiful

9 hours ago, Critical Sniper said:

I leveled up Marcus to 20 and he reached that in VoD and still killed enemies and survived well enough. My other units were also 20/20 so oh  I don't know, obviously funneling all exp into him is a bad idea, just a bad idea as funneling all into one unit, but if you use him like a regular unit then that's how he should be used in a non-LTC playthrough.

Also Lyn just needs too many good level ups before being good she doesn't dodgetank until all my other units are tanking and doing more damage than her and doubling things in which she loses her purpose for having no utility besides her lackluster combat.

Another unpopular opinion I have, Lyn is not that beautiful

Considering that she's good already by lv 9-10, by the time she rejoins.... I don't see the issue. But I won't argue on that matter further here. Same for her not being beautifull.

14 hours ago, Critical Sniper said:

Well....good thing it IS easy to give Lyn level ups : ) And what's best is that you don't have to worry about other units not giving exp in return by doing so.

And stop spreading lies about Lyn not being good, that's a lie and I'm over hearing it again and again around this place, like Diogo said, once she rejoins, she will easily be better than Hector and Eliwood, and even once they catch up to her, if she was still being used, she should still be pretty good, and I won't say she can't get growth screwed in some areas, but her chances of getting screwed are much less than Marcus chances : )

Back with a vengeance.

1. Axes are the best weapon type.

2. Radiant Dawn is the worst game I have ever played in my life and is by far the worst FE game.

3. Lyn is bad in every aspect, including design.

4. Fire Emblem Thracia 776 has the best character designs in the franchise.

5. Heroes is bad. (Though I don't know if this is unpopular at this point.)

6. SoV is the best FE game.

7. Leif, Eliwood, and Alm are the best FE lords.

8. Peri isn't the worst FE character, but she's not a good one either.

9. Hicks is the greatest Fire Emblem character of all time.

2 hours ago, Rose482 said:

Well....good thing it IS easy to give Lyn level ups : ) And what's best is that you don't have to worry about other units not giving exp in return by doing so.

And stop spreading lies about Lyn not being good, that's a lie and I'm over hearing it again and again around this place, like Diogo said, once she rejoins, she will easily be better than Hector and Eliwood, and even once they catch up to her, if she was still being used, she should still be pretty good, and I won't say she can't get growth screwed in some areas, but her chances of getting screwed are much less than Marcus chances : )

.... Hector is the best unit in the game, how the heck is she supposed to better than him?

21 minutes ago, DiogoJorge said:

.... Hector is the best unit in the game, how the heck is she supposed to better than him?

Um? I meant when she rejoins, she will be at a higher level than him, which would for the most part means she has better stats, but once he catch up to her level wish, that might not be the case anymore.

52 minutes ago, Rose482 said:

Um? I meant when she rejoins, she will be at a higher level than him, which would for the most part means she has better stats, but once he catch up to her level wish, that might not be the case anymore.

That's a bit unlikely, because Hector is usually only 1-2 levels behind Lyn by then and he has considerably  more DEF and STR than most of your units. I won't argue this matter further however, since this topic isn't about unit viability. 

16 minutes ago, DiogoJorge said:

That's a bit unlikely, because Hector is usually only 1-2 levels behind Lyn by then and he has considerably  more DEF and STR than most of your units. I won't argue this matter further however, since this topic isn't about unit viability. 

???????????

He won't be a level or two behind her if you played Lyn's story, which was what I meant, but okay.

8 minutes ago, Rose482 said:

???????????

He won't be a level or two behind her if you played Lyn's story, which was what I meant, but okay.

This assumes you use Lyn in Lyn's mode rather than dump all the exp in Sain, Kent, etc.

40 minutes ago, Tuvy2 said:

This assumes you use Lyn in Lyn's mode rather than dump all the exp in Sain, Kent, etc.

Which you should, but that's not the point. Hector is usually lv 8 by then, that's why he's usually only 2 levels or 1 behind Lyn.

20 hours ago, Rose482 said:

But he can KILL THINGS.....who cares if his growths suck, he can carry the early game on his OWN, who cares if the rest of the units get screwed over if you did that though....

Just kidding, I agree with you, he's NOT better than Lyn.

To risk this turning into a Lyn vs Marcus thread, he most certainly is. Early game, way better than her. Mid-game, way better than her. Late-game, worse than her in most regards, although still more than usable.

For one, it doesn't matter if the units early game get screwed, since you get so many powerful prepromotes to supplement them that it doesn't matter. Harken, Hawkeye, Isadora, Louise, PENT. Does Marcus fall off, yes, but that's only after chapter 23-ish, and even then he is still immensely useful for rescuing. He has all three weapon types, enough speed to double anyone for a long time, straight into endgame, at base. His growths aren't even that bad, a respectable 65% HP, and a 50% skill growth standing out as actually pretty good. His speed growth means that at level 15, which for a prepromote is a very easy level amount to reach, he'll have around 15-ish speed, which is basically all you'll ever need unless you're facing a swordmaster, since enemies weight themselves down with steel weapons (freaking steel lance pegasi). He has a mount, which I don't need to explain the benefits of, and a beard. Well, it's a goatee, but I'll take what I can get at this point.

Lyn on the other hand has swords, and freaking bows. Bows are worthless in FE7. This isn't like FE6 where it's flier central, there aren't very many fliers in FE7, and the ones that are here are so bad that any unit can take them no problem. And they're also her only two-ranged option, that leaves her open to getting annihilated on enemy phase. In a game as enemy phase focused as FE7, having bows as your only two-ranged option is pitiful, and, you know what, you've probably heard these arguments a million times. I'm not going to change your mind, you aren't going to change mine, I'll just leave this as is without diving headfirst into Lyn's multitude of issues.

20 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

The top one is ...interesting.  Please explain.

I can wholeheartedly agree with the bottom statement.  Radiant Dawn's artstyle looks a little too polished (shiny?) for my tastes.

My viewpoint is that most of the characters in FE5 are pretty common folk, or go through hardships that cause them to remain lower than they otherwise would be. Leif is the one FE lord I can see actually existing in real life, partially since he has a normal hair color, but also because he is actively held back in the game by a force of nature, or at least that's what the empire seems like. That's probably another thing, unlike a lot of FE games, the empire in Thracia 776 actually feels like a legit threat that you can't fight head on, and when you do you'll get bodied. Leif is forced to go harder routes, or fight through a ton of bandits, or raid tiny bases to make the smallest of headway. Until a full translation patch is released (that's actually good) though, I kinda think Leif has a bit of Roy syndrome, which is to say that an earlier patch doesn't give him as much character as he otherwise would have.

And to clarify on the bottom statement, imo it's less the polish and more the environments. Like, RD is either dark, gray, and dingy, or way too saturated. The only maps that look good are 3-F, 2-1, and 1-F. The rest are utter garbage, in terms of how they look.

40 minutes ago, DarthR0xas said:

Bows are worthless in FE7. This isn't like FE6 where it's flier central, there aren't very many fliers in FE7, and the ones that are here are so bad that any unit can take them no problem.

Don't forget glorious x2 effectiveness, either. Against Wyverns (in ch.26), a Steel Bow is only 0-2 points stronger than a Thunder tome thanks to the Def/Res gap (11-12 Def, 1-3 Res). In the earlygame, Bartre hits enemy pegasi harder than Rebecca does (18 vs. 16 Atk).

---

Marcus x Hand Axe is my favourite Fire Emblem ship.

11 hours ago, Rose482 said:

No it's not? She has enemy phase but she doesn't have durability or 1-2 range. And EXP is not so scarce that it really affects you that badly to give Marcus the bosskills, your other units won't be so terrible if you use Marcus. And EXP doesn't vanish when you use him so he isn't "stealing" any experience.

Pfft, yeah right. Let's pop up some math.
Level 10 Lyn (A bit too high though, I usually get her to 8 so other units can also have levels)
HP 22
Str 7
Skl 12 = 24 hit
Spd 14 = 28 Avo
Luck 9 = 4 hit and 9 avoid.
Def 3
Res 2
She won't survive anything and 37 avoid? HAH unless she is on a forest lance units will kick her ass, only until level 16-18 does she start dodging more and it's not only till 20/5 where she dodges almost everything. Also god bless you if you don't use the mani katti because that strength is so low, and giving her higher might swords decreases her amazing speed. Talking about speed, it's not in such high demand, getting 17 speed is usually enough for the game, althugh obviously almost no one has a endgame speed of that.

OH but overrated waifu, means she is good.

6 hours ago, Critical Sniper said:

No it's not? She has enemy phase but she doesn't have durability or 1-2 range. And EXP is not so scarce that it really affects you that badly to give Marcus the bosskills, your other units won't be so terrible if you use Marcus. And EXP doesn't vanish when you use him so he isn't "stealing" any experience.

Pfft, yeah right. Let's pop up some math.
Level 10 Lyn (A bit too high though, I usually get her to 8 so other units can also have levels)
HP 22
Str 7
Skl 12 = 24 hit
Spd 14 = 28 Avo
Luck 9 = 4 hit and 9 avoid.
Def 3
Res 2
She won't survive anything and 37 avoid? HAH unless she is on a forest lance units will kick her ass, only until level 16-18 does she start dodging more and it's not only till 20/5 where she dodges almost everything. Also god bless you if you don't use the mani katti because that strength is so low, and giving her higher might swords decreases her amazing speed. Talking about speed, it's not in such high demand, getting 17 speed is usually enough for the game, althugh obviously almost no one has a endgame speed of that.

OH but overrated waifu, means she is good.

I'm pretty sure I said we shouldn't argue unit viability here, but how exactly is this bad again? Those stats are good to me at that point.

Also, my playthrough says otherwise, STR blessed aside, she has little trouble dodge tanking and was pretty much key to get the killer weapons on chapter 26.

Her STR isn't low though. 40% growth and upon promotion receives a 3 point boost. She's not Matthew, Lowen or Isadora.

Actually, it's a bad idea to not use Mani Katti in her mode, since it provides her with faster weapon experience, resulting in her being able to use Silver Swords soon after chapter 16 or 17. When you get your first one.  In the other modes, she should use Mani Katti, but only against effective targets, or targets that really need to die and you can't afford to rely on the steel sword or silver sword for some reason.

If one calls her top tier, that is true, but if one calls her a good unit, they are absolutely right.

Now, how about we drop this before it turns into a typical flame war?

Edited by DiogoJorge

Fire Emblem storytelling always followed trends of fantasy anime of the times: Jugdral was like that because Berserk was the big thing of Fantasy anime back then. Awakening and Fates are like that because we live in the era defined by SAO and similar light novels. 

Camilla is annoying and easy to hate, but not a bad character. Even the fanservice make sense if we remember that she was raised in an harem during a concubine wars and was likely surronded by seductresses all day long.

Camuses are the worst villain type and incarnate everything wrong whit the DnD-style lawful stupid paladin. Ishtar is the only one that i consider good because she has both a personal connection whit the big bad and a legittimate reason to want the protagonist dead.

Radiant Dawn is not a worthy sequel of Path of Radiance and suffer from the same overall problem of Conquest.They try to pit playable characters againist each other, but don't want to paint anyone in a bad light, so they use some a bad plot device to force one of the faction to reluctantly fight.

Edited by Flere210

3 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I don't really get the hype around Selkie. I see her being one of the top requested characters in Heroes, being much popular than the more important Laguz and I really find myself wondering why. I never disliked Selkie but I certainly never saw much reason for that kind of hype.

Same.  Actually I found her a little grating.

41 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I don't really get the hype around Selkie. I see her being one of the top requested characters in Heroes, being much popular than the more important Laguz and I really find myself wondering why. I never disliked Selkie but I certainly never saw much reason for that kind of hype.

I, too, am a little surprised it was her out of anyone else.

Anyways, I guess I can start with Triangle Adept on a Weapon (Titania, Alfonse, Palla) in Heroes is not a bad thing. The only reason some units w/o Triangle Adept are countering the color they are weak against is hard-hitting specials.