What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

Repeating a lot of the points I made over in the other thread? It's more likely 

-Ike is my least favorite lord after Corrin. Even in PoR I have issues with how he was written, and how him being the first lord not of royal blood was basically irrelevant to him and the story. RD Ike is worse, because at least Ike was allowed to make mistakes in PoR, but in RD he's pretty much perfect. The worst thing about Ike is that he is able to, just by being oh so badass and tolerant, bridge racial divides that have existed for centuries if not millenia which is just incredibly stupid (but then again Tellius's anti-racism moral is clumsy and stupid at the best of times).
-Related, but Ike never should have been made protagonist again in RD. Elincia and Micaiah had far more interesting plotlines and needed the screentime more.
-The Black Knight is a terrible villain with unsympathetic motives. That we're supposed to find his ultimate death tragic even though he was a pretty thoroughly awful person is baffling.
-Camuses need to go away or be better written already. While Xander was arguably the nadir, most of them are selfish, short-sighted hypocrites regardless.
-Ephraim is overrated but otherwise not awful. If there had been more focus on him being taken down a peg and growing into a better ruler I think Sacred Stones would have been better for it.
-It was a mistake to remove weapon durability. If it does come back, Genealogy had the best method for dealing with it and should be how it's handled going forward.
-Constitution and con growth should also come back.
-Limited supports should return in some capacity. It won't get rid of bad supports entirely but it will limit them a good deal, since a lot of the bad supports are due to characters with no common ground and no chemistry being forced to interact.
-The bow/hidden/magic triangle was garbage and should never be used in future games.
-I don't think Conquest's map/level design is anything better than competent at best. While it doesn't reach the levels of Revelation a lot of its maps are gimmicky as heck, and its difficulty in general is inconsistent across the board.
-I don't find the Nohr siblings all that interesting or sympathetic.
-Shadow Dragon was a perfectly fine remake aside from the stupid method of unlocking gaiden chapters.
-Of the cavaliers/paladins in FE7, I prefer Isadora. Sain, Kent and Lowen always turn out garbage for me as of late, and having someone with decent speed and Silver Lance access helps a lot.
-Availability is, with a few exceptions, the least important factor in whether or not a unit is good. The biggest exception is RD, where there are characters who spend long stretches of the game out of the player's hands.

4 hours ago, Jave said:

- Tokyo Mirage Sessions has a better plot and characters than ANY mainline FE, mainly because the condensed cast allows for better interaction and development. I feel that if more people would look at the game in detail rather than just the surface, it would have a lot more fans. It doesn't help that a lot of the haters of that game haven't even played it.

While I don't necessarily fully agree with this (mostly because Itsuki and Tsubasa are boring characters with a metric ton of wasted potential, as I was reminded of while replaying TMS recently), I do agree that TMS is way better than people give it credit for, and that a lot of the lingering resentment for it is based on something that was never promised.

Edited by AzureSen
note to self: be more careful with the mouse when posting

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mildly disliking Ike and Ephraim doesn’t seem to be an unpopular opinion anymore, so I won’t dwell on those two.

Guess my unpopular opinion is that the three modern “avatars” (Kris, Robin, Corrin) are, in fact, no avatars at all. The trio is—with exception of their name and appearance—all fixed characters, with their own personalities (often differing between genders) and preset roles in the plot. They do not fulfil player insertion in no way. Thus I refuse regarding them as “avatars” and consider them ordinary fixed story characters, with their merits and drawbacks.

Kris does not “ruin” Marth’s character in favour of a player’s self-insert, because there is no self-insert. Kris’ plotline in New Mystery is a personal, inside view on an official, mythologised version as presented in Mystery, and this is neither good nor bad. It is.

Oh, and I can’t not drop a few words about Shadow Dragon after mentioning its fellow remake. Shadow Dragon doesn’t deserve all the hate it gets for a faithful remake. Even the gaiden characters, technically, aren’t denied to a deathless player: these characters weren’t there in the original Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light. 

Edited by Vaximillian

12 minutes ago, AzureSen said:

I have no problem with the first part, but the second part...even if, and that's a pretty big if, that was true, why do you care?

Because it bothers me when people have double-standards about writing quality. 

Btw, AzureSen, I thought you were going to post more thoughts to my story discussion thread. Did you lose interest?

Just now, NekoKnight said:

Because it bothers me when people have double-standards about writing quality. 

Btw, AzureSen, I thought you were going to post more thoughts to my story discussion thread. Did you lose interest?

I'm surprised you managed to catch that considering how quickly I edited it out. I realized as soon as I accidentally posted that post that "whelp, this is a mistake" and deleted it, because it was me being indigent and snippy to you due to my own past associations. None of which is your fault, and I should have responded in the more measured way that I usually try to, so I apologize.

I didn't lose interest so much as I got distracted working on responses to things that were post after your analysis. I should actually get back to the thing I was working on while the thread's still active, thanks for the reminder.

• I'm on the bandwagon too; Ike is the worst lord in the series and is protected from being called out ever all the time because "he's Ike from Smash Bros." isn't he, as well as "he's Ike the bara beefy muscled badass with a golden-sword", right? 

• Lucia is the most underrated female character in the Tellius series, let alone in Fire Emblem and no, that is NOT my bias talking. She's trapped in the very wrong game series with Elincia and because she is, she's over-shadowed not only by Ike, but by the likes of Mia, Nephenee and Titania among others. It's all the more why I'm utterly saddened that she did not get the supports she needed and deserved in both games, as well as the availability as a unit. Worst of all; her shining moment is overshadowed by THAT cutscene (sighs wistfully). She is so over-shadowed by literally everything and anything, let alone cast of as another boring loyal knight BECAUSE she didn't get more than what she deserved in the games; it's just so depressing...

• Strip away Makalov and RD Astrid is actually a really good character; I know this because I read her boss conversations in the Part 4 Endgame tower and she has REALLY good convos, as well as great moments that make her shine. 

• Selena from FE8 is also a very underrated character and I will forever be angry at the localisation people for missing that she exists. 

• Chapter 9: Emmeryn is a complete rip off of Part 2 Endgame without the character development or emotional weight behind it. Horribly executed as well (all of a sudden risen out of nowhere killing Phila who btw, was a wonderful character). I did not feel one bit sad about that chapter or cry for Emmeryn or any of it.

• Guinevere from FE6 is yet another very underrated female character. If you love Elincia; you'll definitely love Guinevere; and I really, really hope if FE6 is remade, she shines like a beacon to everyone. 

• Ryoma, Xander, Camilla, Tharja, Takumi and Cordelia do NOT deserve the popularity they have. At all. 

• Actually notice most of my qualms are with characters if not almost all of Fire Emblem? IntSys has way more problems with characters than they could ever even realise. All the good characters are overshadowed by the bad ones who don't deserve what they have. 

• FE7 is an over-rated story, big time. Eliwood's story for me was a long snoozefest especially. 

That's...all I can think of at the moment. I'm sure there's more but, that's all I got. 

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

Personal expirience (which is pretty influential when it comes to forming opinions in anything). My Sophia always turned out better than my Raigh (and Niime). It got to the point where i just benched Raigh and never used him again. I would use Niime occasionally though, mainly as an extra staff bot if i need it.

Your Raigh must have been really cursed, considering, on average, Raigh has around 1-2 more HP, 1 less magic, 5 more skill, 3 more speed, the same luck, 1 more Def, and 8 less res than Sophia.  

When evaluating units, the rule of thumb on this site is personal experience means nothing.  Aside from Sophia's Res Lead, Raigh will usually turn out out almost identical or in the case of Skill and Speed better for a fraction of the blood, sweat, and tears, owing to him joining earlier and stronger.  

Meanwhile, Niime comes with A staves (which Sophia and Raigh will never get ever because staff ranks are extremely slow to grow in FE6) and pretrained, her raw stats may not be as impressive as them when they're trained, but the raw utility she offers for literally no cost means she's better too.  

This isn't actually a matter of opinion.  Looking at the FE6 Shamans from a completely objective standpoint, Sophia is easily the worst of the three due to a combination of the resources/effort she needs to work and the fact the result is barely better than this other unit you get earlier with more stats.

3 minutes ago, Azzurohr said:
  • Worst of all; her shining moment is overshadowed by THAT cutscene (sighs wistfully).

Greil Mercenaries fan-service at its finest (pukes).

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

Oh yeah, i just remembered another unpopular opinion i have: i would much rather promote ASAP instead of waiting until level 20 to promote.

That's also another reason why Geneaolgy of the Holy War is my least favorite FE, along with Thracia 776. The minimum requirment for promotion is Lv.20 and i'm a bit impatient when it comes to level ups (likely a result of Pokemon Gen 4. I love Gen 4, but the slow as fuck level ups were the one thing i hated about Gen 4).

At least Thracia doesn't force you to wait until Lv.20 (though that game throws so much bullshit at you, i'm actually surprised it's kind enough when it comes to promotion).

Have you ever played Thracia? After Gaiden/SoV, it's the game that encourages early promotions the MOST. 

35 minutes ago, AzureSen said:

I'm surprised you managed to catch that considering how quickly I edited it out. I realized as soon as I accidentally posted that post that "whelp, this is a mistake" and deleted it, because it was me being indigent and snippy to you due to my own past associations. None of which is your fault, and I should have responded in the more measured way that I usually try to, so I apologize.

I didn't lose interest so much as I got distracted working on responses to things that were post after your analysis. I should actually get back to the thing I was working on while the thread's still active, thanks for the reminder.

Naw. don't worry about it. My post was a bit aggressive in tone and made it seem like I was discrediting people that liked SoV (it does have a lot of positive elements). I just wanted to say that I think people would be more critical of SoV if it wasn't preceded by an even worse story.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing your thoughts later.

12 hours ago, Randoman said:

For an "unpopular" opinion, I sure see it posted way too often, even outside of threads like these (especially in TMS and Fire Emblem Warrior boards online).  

Generally speaking such complaints are met with the rationalizations about Marth world's legacy, its popularity in Japan and its good sales. And that's fair but it does indicate that the Archanean bias is either accepted, understood or tolerated rather then disliked. 

From my experience the criticism of the warriors roster tends to shift more to the Fates and Awakening casts rather then the Archaneans.

1 hour ago, Glaceon Sage said:

Your Raigh must have been really cursed, considering, on average, Raigh has around 1-2 more HP, 1 less magic, 5 more skill, 3 more speed, the same luck, 1 more Def, and 8 less res than Sophia.  

When evaluating units, the rule of thumb on this site is personal experience means nothing.  Aside from Sophia's Res Lead, Raigh will usually turn out out almost identical or in the case of Skill and Speed better for a fraction of the blood, sweat, and tears, owing to him joining earlier and stronger.  

Meanwhile, Niime comes with A staves (which Sophia and Raigh will never get ever because staff ranks are extremely slow to grow in FE6) and pretrained, her raw stats may not be as impressive as them when they're trained, but the raw utility she offers for literally no cost means she's better too.  

This isn't actually a matter of opinion.  Looking at the FE6 Shamans from a completely objective standpoint, Sophia is easily the worst of the three due to a combination of the resources/effort she needs to work and the fact the result is barely better than this other unit you get earlier with more stats.

I wasn't evaluating anything though. 

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

Have you ever played Thracia? After Gaiden/SoV, it's the game that encourages early promotions the MOST. 

I have, though i stopped playing a few chapters in, mainly because Fatigue was stressing me out and i had a bullshit miss with a heal.

I had plans to return to Thracia but then i heard horror stories of Ch.24x and i was like "yeah, no thanks". And since that day, Thracia is the one FE game i've played but never beaten. 

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

I wasn't evaluating anything though. 

In claiming Sophia is better than Raigh, unit-wise, in your original post, you were evaluating her compared to Raigh based solely on personal experience and not actual numbers.  Unless you really value Resistance so much that you'd go out of your way to baby Sophia for it and it alone, such a statement isn't an opinion, it's just incorrect.

Another unpopular opinion of mine is that I think Nergal is one of the better villains while Zephiel falls flat as a character to me. From what I hear its the opposite for most people, with them finding Zephiel rather complex while blaming Nergal for not killing the heroes sooner. 

2 hours ago, Azzurohr said:

Horribly executed as well (all of a sudden risen out of nowhere killing Phila who btw, was a wonderful character).

Why didn't she get a Spotpass Paralogue!?! If pretty much everyone else does- why not her? May we call her death Revelation-esque? Having her triangle attack with Cordelia and Sumia would have been nice.

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

Why didn't she get a Spotpass Paralogue!?! If pretty much everyone else does- why not her? May we call her death Revelation-esque? Having her triangle attack with Cordelia and Sumia would have been nice.

Her and Pheros both. Pheros really should've got something she was actually a good character in a very large pool of weak ones. Would've loved if it explored Phila and Emmeryn's friendship too.

3 hours ago, AzureSen said:

-Limited supports should return in some capacity. It won't get rid of bad supports entirely but it will limit them a good deal, since a lot of the bad supports are due to characters with no common ground and no chemistry being forced to interact.

Do you mean you want there to be a limited amount as in only able to have 5 or so support convos like in the GBA games, or do you mean to have less people that characters can support with like in SoV (though probably not THAT few).

22 minutes ago, familyplayer said:

Do you mean you want there to be a limited amount as in only able to have 5 or so support convos like in the GBA games, or do you mean to have less people that characters can support with like in SoV (though probably not THAT few).

Usually when people say stuff like that, it's a bit of both. More so the latter. As in, people shouldn't be able to support with like, 15 people. There's only so much you can do with a character in games like these.

It really only makes sense if people support with people who make sense for them. There's really no reason for 90%(And I feel like I'm being generous by saying 10% of supports in those games are meaningful) of the supports in Awakening and Fates beyond "Well, these two characters need to have babies. Who cares if this dialogue is awful and there's no world building or character development?" A lot of people, myself included, would rather have more consistent world building and character development, which is a bit more typical of the games where characters could only support with maybe 4-5 characters at most(With some characters getting a few more).

Edited by Slumber

17 minutes ago, familyplayer said:

The latter. I actually like not having a cap on how many support ranks a character can get, since in the GBA games especially there are a lot of really good supports no one got to see because they were between characters who had statistically better support options. Meanwhile, in Awakening and Fates, we got absolutely terrible supports like Donnel/Panne and Hinoka/Saizo because everyone has to support everyone.

Oh, and here's another unpopular opinion about Awakening: I don't like Nah, and I find her to be the worst of the kids personality-wise. Her supports with Laurent and Inigo are the worst, but even then she spends plenty of supports being a brat and then getting mad when the other kids treat her like a child.

Edited by AzureSen

46 minutes ago, Glaceon Sage said:

In claiming Sophia is better than Raigh, unit-wise, in your original post, you were evaluating her compared to Raigh based solely on personal experience and not actual numbers.  Unless you really value Resistance so much that you'd go out of your way to baby Sophia for it and it alone, such a statement isn't an opinion, it's just incorrect.

Alright but it wasn't my intention to evaluate. Look, if it bothers you that much, i'll change my original post to be more clear.

4 hours ago, Luchi said:

Greil Mercenaries fan-service at its finest (pukes).

I got criticized for making posts like these, so please don't do them. What if I went and said "Lucia ugh *pukes*" huh? You wouldn't like it, would you?

Also, what's wrong with the Greil Mercenaries going in and doing their fucking job? They were hired to help, and they helped. It's not fanservice, it's part of the story. You want unnecessary fanservice, look at Camilla in Fates.

I'm on the bandwagon too; Ike is the worst lord in the series and is protected from being called out ever all the time because "he's Ike from Smash Bros." isn't he, as well as "he's Ike the bara beefy muscled badass with a golden-sword", right? 

And stupid statements like these are what I was talking about before. You don't like Ike, fine, but you DO realize that his first game came out LONG before he was added to Smash, don't you? PoR came out in 2005, Brawl in 2008. Not to mention RD was released at the same time as Smash, so both were in development at the same time. Smash is NOT the reason Ike gets this so-called "special treatment." Also, he DOES get called out for his mistakes. Soren and Titania called him out for almost getting them killed in Begnion, Mist accuses him of being reckless in Goldoa, and Nailah in RD yells at him for trying to tell Rafiel how to act. And Shinon HATES him. Micaiah also trash-talks him for awhile.

By the way, I'm starting to want to hate Lucia because of how much you two shove her around and bash Ike on the forum. You're lucky I don't wish to hate characters simply because of the actions of one or two fans.

Edited by Anacybele

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I got criticized for making posts like these, so please don't do them. What if I went and said "Lucia ugh *pukes*" huh? You wouldn't like it, would you?

Also, what's wrong with the Greil Mercenaries going in and doing their fucking job? They were hired to help, and they helped. It's not fanservice, it's part of the story. You want unnecessary fanservice, look at Camilla in Fates.

You're being a bit of a hypocrite for bringing up Camilla, please stop, as Camilla has a really nice design <3

Another unpopular opinion is that Ike has a god awful design, especially in RD.

Just now, Lautsuu said:

You're being a bit of a hypocrite for bringing up Camilla, please stop, as Camilla has a really nice design <3

I can think she has a terrible design if I want, thanks. And it's fact that she's fanservice.

You're the one being a hypocrite by telling me to stop insulting Camilla's design and then turning around and saying Ike has a bad design.

Just now, Anacybele said:

I can think she has a terrible design if I want, thanks. And it's fact that she's fanservice.

You're the one being a hypocrite by telling me to stop insulting Camilla's design and then turning around and saying Ike has a bad design.

Ah, you see, I was responding to the thread, you were responding to someone else. If you had worded it as if you were responding to the thread, then fine. I still take offense to you insulting Camilla, who is one of my favourite characters, just like you took offense to me saying that Ike has a bad design, so, y'know.

Just now, Lautsuu said:

Ah, you see, I was responding to the thread, you were responding to someone else. If you had worded it as if you were responding to the thread, then fine. I still take offense to you insulting Camilla, who is one of my favourite characters, just like you took offense to me saying that Ike has a bad design, so, y'know.

I don't care if you're offended because I don't like Camilla's design. I can still keep disliking it.

I'm not offended that you don't like Ike's design. Again, I don't care that you don't like it. I'm telling you that it's hypocritical to tell someone not to dislike something about a character and then go and say you dislike the same thing about another character. It doesn't matter if it's Ike or the Flying Purple People Eater, it's hypocritical to do this.

15 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Also, he DOES get called out for his mistakes. Soren and Titania called him out for almost getting them killed in Begnion, Mist accuses him of being reckless in Goldoa, and Nailah in RD yells at him for trying to tell Rafiel how to act. And Shinon HATES him. Micaiah also trash-talks him for awhile.

Like it matters in the plot. Because it doesn’t.

“Trash-talks”, heh. Not biased at all.