What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

10 hours ago, Greencapps said:

Well I've seen people arguing otherwise. Even going as far to say he's better than every 3DS villain, including SoV, combined. Which is just ridiculous. 

That does not have to be especially high praise for Nergal. It can just as easily be that person stating that the 3DS villains are just that bad which they are.

I do think there's something to say for Nergal being deep or not. The story being told doesn't require him to be particularly deep, it requires him to be a Gharnef with bigger presence. I'd say his backstory gives him some depth though, especially the part where he's so far gone that neither he or his children are capable of recognizing the other.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

That does not have to be especially high praise for Nergal. It can just as easily be that person stating that the 3DS villains are just that bad which they are.

I do think there's something to say for Nergal being deep or not. The story being told doesn't require him to be particularly deep, it requires him to be a Gharnef with bigger presence. I'd say his backstory gives him some depth though, especially the part where he's so far gone that neither he or his children are capable of recognizing the other.

It was more someone trying to say that Berkut is trash and pulling in the rest of the 3DS villains to prove a point.

While Berkut might not be the most groundbreaking villain we've ever had he was at least entertaining which is honestly more than I can say for Nergal. 

On the backstory thing yea it sucks for him and his kids in theory I just don't care cause I never saw him be a good guy at first, I was just told. I think Nergal could be cool they just didn't give him time to make me hate him.

On the not recognizing each other thing one thing that confused me was when

Spoiler

Ninian and Nils are talking about coming through the portal they say they heard the voice of an old friend. What does that mean? Did they recognize Nergal's voice or did he use some voice altering magic or what?

2 hours ago, Greencapps said:

It was more someone trying to say that Berkut is trash and pulling in the rest of the 3DS villains to prove a point.

While Berkut might not be the most groundbreaking villain we've ever had he was at least entertaining which is honestly more than I can say for Nergal. 

On the backstory thing yea it sucks for him and his kids in theory I just don't care cause I never saw him be a good guy at first, I was just told. I think Nergal could be cool they just didn't give him time to make me hate him.

On the not recognizing each other thing one thing that confused me was when

Nergal's tragic backstory is given a very hidden and very fragmentary reveal. We don't actually see the moment he fell into despair, we have to infer a lot without really anything to go on. He is in principle a tragic character, but because we don't see the tragedy in emotional detail, he's fails to be an effective one. All we really see of him is the mad husk of a human being he has become. Gharnef is the same way, once a normal human being, envy and the Darksphere rotted him from within and left him a husk, and we never see the good Gharnef of the past.

As for your spoiler:

Spoiler

I'm guessing Ninian and Nils could sense their father's presence- which is why they in particular were drawn to the Gate, otherwise you'd expect other dragons to follow if it was a generic alluring voice. Why doesn't either of them realize he's their dad? Well it's been nearly 1000 years since the end of the Scouring, which is the time when Nergal's family was happy, united and alive. They very reasonably assumed their mortal human dad was dead, and Nergal gave off no fatherly vibes in person, only evil ones.

Nergal didn't recognize them at all as his children as either grief or the corrupting power of darkness took from him his memories of his children as well as wife.

4 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

E:SoV didn’t sell low, it sold exactly how they were expecting it to sell. This is an important distinction.

But did they stated it that they expected it as much or is it just speculation?

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

Implying Xenoblade is a big as FE.

Keep in mind that Xenoblade is part of the Xeno series or atleast a spiritual successor to it. The xeno brand itself when combined made a whole lot of profit for Monolith soft except a few games.

7 minutes ago, Harvey said:

The xeno brand itself when combined made a whole lot of profit for Monolith soft except a few games.

Gears did soooooo well that they decided not to bother making the other four parts. And Saga was incredible, so very incredible, that for fear of overwhelming people with any more majesty and depleting their wallets, they cut the Episode number from an intended 6 to 3.

That's 4 out of the 7 Xeno games that didn't sell well so far (barring a few petit spinoffs of Saga and 20 Kos-Mos cameo/crossover appearances).

5 hours ago, Greencapps said:

I think Nergal could be cool they just didn't give him time to make me hate him.

In retrospect hate was probably a poor choice of words. Feel bad for him would have been more apt.

9 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

It sold most of its initial shipment with ease.  So yes, it did exactly as they expected it to.

Just because it did that doesn't mean it meets their expectations. Again, where in any of the interviews did they state themselves that they were pleased with its reception in terms of sales? Yeah people admired the game and they are happy with that but what about sales wise? The fact that they didn't even reveal the sales figures yet in the western territories is itself an oddball if you ask me.

But ok fine, let's just assume that it did sell over a million..heck even three million at that. Then that would cause another problem because the minute FE becomes popular on par with that of Metroid levels or even Zelda, Nintendo will do whatever they can to do takedowns for Fire Emblem fan hacks, do takedowns of sites that reveal the formulas for each and every game(which is Serenes btw) and will probably start taking down let's plays of the main games that are Japanese exclusive.

So in that sense, I just have a feeling that FE can't reach around three million at this point.

Edited by Harvey

Three million, shree million, does it matter?

I like DSFE's artstyle. The games take place on a war-torn land, and the muted, dull colours reflect this. It also makes the characters look dirty, and when you're at war, you probably aren't at your cleanest. Though, NMotE!Marth's portrait is a big step up from SD.

Tobin is one of the best characters in the series. He's your average guy who just wants to support his parents, yet he has what seems to be an inferiority complex towards Alm and Gray, yet he doesn't become spiteful, he just jokes about it. It's a breath of fresh air.

Flavia and Basilio are some of Awakening's strongest characters, and they both have really nice designs.

4 hours ago, Harvey said:

Just because it did that doesn't mean it meets their expectations. Again, where in any of the interviews did they state themselves that they were pleased with its reception in terms of sales? Yeah people admired the game and they are happy with that but what about sales wise? The fact that they didn't even reveal the sales figures yet in the western territories is itself an oddball if you ask me.

But ok fine, let's just assume that it did sell over a million..heck even three million at that. Then that would cause another problem because the minute FE becomes popular on par with that of Metroid levels or even Zelda, Nintendo will do whatever they can to do takedowns for Fire Emblem fan hacks, do takedowns of sites that reveal the formulas for each and every game(which is Serenes btw) and will probably start taking down let's plays of the main games that are Japanese exclusive.

So in that sense, I just have a feeling that FE can't reach around three million at this point.

I never said it sold over a million?  I said it sold through it's initial shipment, you know, the amount they thought it would sell.  They sold what they expected to sell in the initial shipment, they weren't expecting it to do as well as FE13/14.

FE being popular doesn't really warrant guide sites like SF being taken down, I'm fairly certain sites like SF are not breaking copyright. 

Nintendo can already take down hacks, but most FE hacks are pretty low key compared to the stuff that gets taken down (the Pokémon Company is more picky about this anyway). 

I don't see why Japan exclusivity is grounds to take down LPs, or how sales/popularity would suddenly give them that power or encourage them to use it if it was always there.

I don't see what any of this has to do with selling 3 m units.

2 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

I said it sold through it's initial shipment, you know, the amount they thought it would sell.

Again, where is it stated that it meet their expectations?

FE being popular doesn't really warrant guide sites like SF being taken down, I'm fairly certain sites like SF are not breaking copyright. 

SF from what I can see leaks out how each and every FE game works such as formulas, growth rates etc. Nintendo is very sensitive about stuff like this happening so they can turn them down if they want to if they think such information ruins the experience of FE.

Nintendo can already take down hacks, but most FE hacks are pretty low key compared to the stuff that gets taken down (the Pokémon Company is more picky about this anyway). 

Nintendo has pretty much been strict on videos being uploaded. Last I remember, they will take down any game that has speedruns which uses tool assisting.

I don't see why Japan exclusivity is grounds to take down LPs, or how sales/popularity would suddenly give them that power or encourage them to use it if it was always there.

Considering that FE is RPG, I wouldn't be surprised that at somepoint, Nintendo will eventually do takedown of these videos once FE becomes popular enough.

I don't see what any of this has to do with selling 3 m units.

Because all what I mentioned previously is bound to happen if it does end up doing that.

39 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Again, where is it stated that it meet their expectations?

A basic understanding of economics would suggest that it did meet their expectations. Look at it this way: you have 10 pizzas. You manage to sell 9 of them. You sold most of your supply, which means that, by default, you were able to sell what you expected.

42 minutes ago, Harvey said:

SF from what I can see leaks out how each and every FE game works such as formulas, growth rates etc. Nintendo is very sensitive about stuff like this happening so they can turn them down if they want to if they think such information ruins the experience of FE.

If they do that, then they'd also have to shut down SmashBoards and GameFaqs and Reddit and literally every other forum site where this stuff is available (i use SmashBoards here because, while it's not Fire Emblem, it's Smash, one of Nintendo's bigger franchises). They'd also have to go and shut down literally every wiki, from Bulbapedia, to the Smash Wiki, to the Fire Emblem Wiki. It's way too much of a hassle and shutting down wikis is basically the equivalent of censorship. If fucking Game Freak, which is too overprotective of Pokemon (see the Pokemon costumes in Mario Maker) can allow Bulbapedia, then Nintendo can allow Serenes. And yes Harvey, Bulbapedia has it's own forums and yes, Serenes has it's own Wiki, so don't tell me that the two things are different.

46 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Nintendo has pretty much been strict on videos being uploaded. Last I remember, they will take down any game that has speedruns which uses tool assisting.

Nintendo and YouTube have been weird since forever. That's nothing new. It's also not as bad as you make it out to be. 

47 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Considering that FE is RPG, I wouldn't be surprised that at somepoint, Nintendo will eventually do takedown of these videos once FE becomes popular enough.

The most that will happen is that those videos will be demonitzed (though they probably already are due to the adpocalypse, which affects everyone, not just Nintendo channels).

48 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Because all what I mentioned previously is bound to happen if it does end up doing that.

No it won't.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

A basic understanding of economics would suggest that it did meet their expectations. Look at it this way: you have 10 pizzas. You manage to sell 9 of them. You sold most of your supply, which means that, by default, you were able to sell what you expected.

If it did so well as expected, then answer me this:

• Why didn't Nintendo reveal its sales figures when given the chance to do so instead of just doing PR talk that it is a popular title?
  • Can you honestly see the Echoes series becoming a thing? Like Echoes: Binding Blade or Echoes: Blazing Blade?

If they do that, then they'd also have to shut down SmashBoards and GameFaqs and Reddit and literally every other forum site where this stuff is available (i use SmashBoards here because, while it's not Fire Emblem, it's Smash, one of Nintendo's bigger franchises). They'd also have to go and shut down literally every wiki, from Bulbapedia, to the Smash Wiki, to the Fire Emblem Wiki. It's way too much of a hassle and shutting down wikis is basically the equivalent of censorship. If fucking Game Freak, which is too overprotective of Pokemon (see the Pokemon costumes in Mario Maker) can allow Bulbapedia, then Nintendo can allow Serenes. And yes Harvey, Bulbapedia has it's own forums and yes, Serenes has it's own Wiki, so don't tell me that the two things are different.

The problem with those sites and this site is that those sites don't venture much into hacks and fan made things unlike Serenes. Even Bulbapedia doesn't do much about that. So shutting them down is all the more redundant than shutting something down like here.

I don't mean bad for Serenes btw. I'm just saying that Nintendo can do it if they want to considering that fan hacks are quite a thing here.

Nintendo and YouTube have been weird since forever. That's nothing new. It's also not as bad as you make it out to be. 

Hey, I don't get it either. Everyone else thinks of it as bad ethics for some reason....

Edited by Harvey

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

Why didn't Nintendo reveal its sales figures when given the chance to do so instead of just doing PR talk that it is a popular title?

Because they don't have to???

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

Can you honestly see the Echoes series becoming a thing? Like Echoes: Binding Blade or Echoes: Blazing Blade?

Yes actually. Whether they use "Echoes" as a subtitle or not is irrelevant, but i can totally see them during more remakes. Heck, the director straight up said that he'd like to do a Binding Blade remake (not that that confirms anything but it's worth noting).

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

The problem with those sites and this site is that those sites don't venture much into hacks and fan made things unlike Serenes. Even Bulbapedia doesn't do much about that. So shutting them down is all the more redundant than shutting something down like here.

Boom! I just proved you wrong.

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

I don't mean bad for Serenes btw. I'm just saying that Nintendo can do it if they want to considering that fan hacks are quite a thing here.

The only way Nintendo would target us is if Serenes starts hosting ROMs of the actual games. And there's a rule against that. In order to even play fan-made FE games, you need to patch it to an existing ROM of a compatible FE. You won't find those ROMs here, ever.

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Because they don't have to???

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

What logic is that? That's like saying that they don't have to reveal the sales for Breadth of the Wild when they just did. That's like saying its not worth knowing Super Mario Oddessey sales when it comes out. 

If sales weren't that important, then why even bother to reveal them in the first place?

As for the rest, not gonna bother.

3 minutes ago, Harvey said:

That's like saying that they don't have to reveal the sales for Breadth of the Wild when they just did.

You're right. They don't have to, but they did.

3 minutes ago, Harvey said:

That's like saying its not worth knowing Super Mario Oddessey sales when it comes out. 

Tbh, it really isn't. Everyone knows Odyssey is gonna sell like hotcakes anyway. The amount of hype for that game is real.

4 minutes ago, Harvey said:

If sales weren't that important, then why even bother to reveal them in the first place?

Because they wanted to? You do realize not every game developer reveals the sales of every game, right?

15 minutes ago, Harvey said:

What logic is that? That's like saying that they don't have to reveal the sales for Breadth of the Wild when they just did. That's like saying its not worth knowing Super Mario Oddessey sales when it comes out. 

As for the rest, not gonna bother.

Look at it this way - they didn't even have to mention SoV's sales. The fact that they went out of their way to say, yeah, it's selling as expected, suggests that it's reached their target.

I fully believe that we will see more remakes, IS isn't dumb, they know that the fans are clamouring for the older games, especially with recent controversies like the Warriors roster.

So now can you guys take this to PM please? Thanks in advance :)

1 hour ago, Lau said:

Look at it this way - they didn't even have to mention SoV's sales. The fact that they went out of their way to say, yeah, it's selling as expected, suggests that it's reached their target.

I fully believe that we will see more remakes, IS isn't dumb, they know that the fans are clamouring for the older games, especially with recent controversies like the Warriors roster.

Watch them give a remake for something like Genealogy (which I still think would work the best with modern Fire Emblem mechanics).

Unpopular opinions ? Oh boy... this is interesting. So :

- Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon is actually a very solid game. Anyone who wishes to start his own "FE journey" should play this game first, as you get to know what Fire Emblem is about (a challeging RPG with a simple story, plus a fantastic medieval-style writing. And the map desing is pretty cool. And don't forget its incredibly underrated soundtrack). SD may not have proper character development or support convos, but it's got the very basics of what makes a Fire Emblem game... well... an FE game. Speaking of that, we needed a "back to basics" game after Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn

- Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones is not that great. I find it to be the least memorable of the 3 FE on GBA (maybe because of the game's diffculty).

- Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade on the other hand, is the best GBA FE (I'm super biased on this one). Yes, I said it. Again, a fresh "back to basics" following the 2 Jugdral games, with an interesting plot which reminds me of the 5th Gen Pokémon : an idelology conflict. So if you would take the time to see the story through Zephiel's eyes, Roy would be the enemy, the bad boy, the one who opposes us to bring peace on Elibe. So, what if we could lead Bern's army to stop the Lycian invasion ? I'm going a bit too far, am I not ?

- FE6 Eliwood  > FE7 Eliwood. Don't ask me why, I don't know either (well... I'm probably biased again by the Hasha no Tsurugi manga).

- FE6 OST > FE7's. I'm sorry. Blazing Blade got many remixes from Binding Blade (When the Rush Comes, Winning Road, Triumph...) , but I feel like the originals were better. Although I have to say, "Distant Utopia" and "The Kingdom of Bern" sound so good in Blazing Blade. FE7's got some fantastic brand new musics too, but Binding Blade is my game of choice, so...

- I like Clive (FE Echoes: SoV) and Wolt (FE: The Binding Blade). Wolt has one of the coolest, yet simple design ever.

- Roy is amazing. I certainly won't write an essay on why he's so fantastic, many people already explained it on this very topic I believe.

- Lilina is amazing. Who cares about her low defense ? Just make sure she's protected by a tanky unit in front of her, and give her a dracoshield or two ! Who cares about her questionable Speed growth ? It doesn't even matter when you can one-shot enemies with a basic Fire Tome. And don't forget about the crazy bonuses Lilina gets when Roy is standing nearby. Lilina is just a super fun / rewarding unit to use, a charater with such a cute design and adorable personality... and she's Hector's beloved daughter. No wonder why Lilina is my favourite FE character so far.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I'd love to have some opinions on other FE, but... I have yet to play the Tellius games (why are they SO EXPENSIVE !?), but also (New) Mystery of the Emblem, Thracia 776. I'm currently stuck at Ch.3 of Genealogy of the Holy War. And I don't want to play neither Awakening nor Fates, especially Fates. I wouldn't want to criticize without even knowing what I'm talking about.   

Edited by Fast

8 hours ago, Lau said:

I suggested they find a room earlier in the thread. They apparently ignored it :(

7 hours ago, Arthur97 said:

Watch them give a remake for something like Genealogy (which I still think would work the best with modern Fire Emblem mechanics).

Genealogy should keep everything that makes it Genealogy and get a new coat of paint, just like Shadow Dragon and Gaiden were handled, not repurposed into Path of Jugdral: Conquest’s Awakening.

1 hour ago, Vaximillian said:

Genealogy should keep everything that makes it Genealogy and get a new coat of paint, just like Shadow Dragon and Gaiden were handled, not repurposed into Path of Jugdral: Conquest’s Awakening.

Because Shadow Dragon did so well.

7 hours ago, Fast said:

- Roy is amazing. I certainly won't write an essay on why he's so fantastic, many people already explained it on this very topic I believe.

YOU FOOL!!!

In all seriousness, though, it's nice to see another RoyBoy©.