What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

Just now, Jave said:

You told me to "go online and do vs matches" implying you were talking only about Smash 4. You're just moving the goalposts now.

Except I'm pretty sure Brawl had an online mode where you can play random people? If not, well, I had a lot of people on my friends list at the time and none used the characters I mentioned. How about that?

I've found lots of Ike fans on DA, and even Pokemon and Zelda websites.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Except I'm pretty sure Brawl had an online mode where you can play random people? If not, well, I had a lot of people on my friends list at the time and none used the characters I mentioned. How about that?

I've found lots of Ike fans on DA, and even Pokemon and Zelda websites.

I see you're moving the goalposts again. Now you're talking about an online mode that's been dead for three years despite telling me to "Go online and do Vs. Matches". Yeah, I remember playing Brawl online, I ran into tons of people who used the Ice Climbers, as well as ROB and G&W. Heck, I mained ROB myself in Brawl.

I've also met tons of people who love those characters in places like DA, SerebiiForums, GameFAQs, the Gaming groups I'm a part of on Facebook, ToonZone, and probably a gazillion other sites I visit on occasion. The point I'm trying to make is that you can name isolated incidents about any characters but in the end it's just personal experience. It doesn't mean much and I certainly don't think it should be used as "evidence" of anything.

5 minutes ago, Jave said:

I see you're moving the goalposts again. Now you're talking about an online mode that's been dead for three years despite telling me to "Go online and do Vs. Matches". Yeah, I remember playing Brawl online, I ran into tons of people who used the Ice Climbers, as well as ROB and G&W. Heck, I mained ROB myself in Brawl.

I've also met tons of people who love those characters in places like DA, SerebiiForums, GameFAQs, the Gaming groups I'm a part of on Facebook, ToonZone, and probably a gazillion other sites I visit on occasion. The point I'm trying to make is that you can name isolated incidents about any characters but in the end it's just personal experience. It doesn't mean much and I certainly don't think it should be used as "evidence" of anything.

I admit, I forgot about online being dead for the Wii now. But there's no "moving the goalposts" whatever the hell you mean by that. And also, I never actually did say these characters had NO fans, did I? I said ALMOST no one talks about them or plays them. You just happened to have met those few fans.

Edited by Anacybele

While the many homages to the series as a whole were much appreciated, Awakening would have been better had it been more original with its setting. Chrom being related to, and wielding Marth's same blade for example just isnt cool, considering how different the two are

To contrast Xander's "Camus" role, Ryoma should have been a "Michalis". I saw much potential with this which could have been delved on, had the game explored and defined his relationship to Sumeragi, much like they did Xander's to Garon. Actually, better yet, Fates as a whole could have done better had they utilized more archetypes

Hoshido > Nohr. Granted, most of this is due to presentation for it being so different from FE norm

I prefer the more simpler aspects of Fire Emblem, which because of this, don't mind and even enjoy the so-called "blandness" of the Archanea series. Complex =/= good. 

Related to the former, because of things like pair up and unit skills being re-introduced from Awakening onward, I really cannot bring myself to play classic mode at all anymore. Too many variables to worry about that I simply don't have the time nor energy for.

While Phoneix mode is generally a taboo, its the only way that I can actually enjoy playing through Conquest, once reaching CH10. A welcome addition

Xane is the true hero of Fire Emblem

Alm's a protag. He has no business having THAT MUCH badass with the Conqueror Overclass.

After lurking on this thread some more I am even more firmly of the opinion that this entire fanbase needs to calm the fuck down and agree to disagree on like 90% of all topics. 

It annoys me that Lucina imitated Marth. It annoys me even more when people compare the two.

I wish that berries were a food item in Echoes,

Rhys needs more love, and I felt like they could've done more with his illness.

Greil was a bad father.

Ryoma is awful. (Funnily enough, my main Heroes team consists of two characters I hate)

Ninian is better than Lyn.

Marth doesn't deserve any hate he gets in terms of blandness.

Leo should've been the main character of Fates. Overprotective Xander and Camilla give me life.

Reyson should've sung more.

Nailah and Rafiel deserve more development.

Rudolf would've been a great you-know-what if circumstances were different.

I don't like Gray x Clair

Vika had a lot of potential.

Maribelle is a fantastic character.

Midori is the only good 2nd Gen from Fates.

Xander is genuinely a good older brother.

Male Corrin is better than Female Corrin despite me hating Corrin.

Kris had so much potential to be a good avatar as Marth's personal guard, but the amount of spotlight he took ruined it all.

Xane and Bantu should've appeared in Awakening.

59 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I admit, I forgot about online being dead for the Wii now. But there's no "moving the goalposts" whatever the hell you mean by that. And also, I never actually did say these characters had NO fans, did I? I said ALMOST no one talks about them or plays them. You just happened to have met those few fans.

Honestly, Ana, I'm done with this. You move the goalposts with pretty much every post you make making it impossible to have any sort of mature discussion with you. Sometimes you can make a good point, but the childish attitude you adopt most of the time really ruins any kind of argument that may happen.

So yeah, I'm done. You win. I don't care. I'm not contributing to derailing this thread any more. I'll make an on-topic post later on but I'm not replying to you anymore. This discussion is clearly going nowhere.

1 minute ago, Jave said:

Honestly, Ana, I'm done with this. You move the goalposts with pretty much every post you make making it impossible to have any sort of mature discussion with you. Sometimes you can make a good point, but the childish attitude you adopt most of the time really ruins any kind of argument that may happen.

So yeah, I'm done. You win. I don't care. I'm not contributing to derailing this thread any more. I'll make an on-topic post later on but I'm not replying to you anymore. This discussion is clearly going nowhere.

And you still refuse to tell me what the hell you're talking about. I'm done too then and you're right, it's going nowhere anyway. I'm not childish, btw, and I don't appreciate being insulted like that.

Edited by Anacybele

Alrighty then, let's get riiiiiight into the news.

• Pretty much every single royal in Fates aside from Takumi, Leo, Corrin, and Xander were middling.  They weren't all that great, nor were they all that terrible.  The closest one that breaks the mold for me is Sakura if only for my own personal preferences, but even then, she has an inexcusable lack of presence in the story like the other sisters.
  • Genealogy doesn't seem all that great, from what little of it I've played.  I like Sigurd's introduction and it seems like it did a lot of stuff that helped innovate the series at the time, but beyond that it doesn't really impress me, which is sort of why I'm hoping it'll get the Echoes treatment.
  • After Binding Blade, FE's main appeal has been the supports, with tactics being secondary.  This is because while tactics are nice and keep you thinking, supports have that melding of gameplay and narrative that not very many games have.  It's actually a fairly brilliant system, and I hope IS will continue to find ways to improve upon it.  [I say this is unpopular because everyone on this forum seems to think gameplay is the only thing FE has going for it, when that's not true at all]
  • I guess now this is an unpopular opinion... but Jeigans are really useful units, if not the most useful units in a lot of games.  Yes, even old-school Jeigans.  And I say this because early game is probably the toughest part of various FE's, and in most games they're almost mandatory.  Though at the same time, I do think Jeigan himself is almost entirely useless because his stats are barely higher than the rest of the team.
  • Echoes doesn't have a good story.  And to go even further, hardly any FE has had a good story.  In fact, Gaiden/Echoes probably has one of the best stories only because of a plot-twist antagonist who actually is your ally sort of.  But even then, it's pretty much the same washed out story of big ugly kings and cultists working for a big bad dragon with hardly anything interesting done with them.  The best we've got is probably Tellius because an evil dragon isn't pulling the strings (as far as I know, anyway).
  • Most of the female protagonists are simultaneously the best and worst protagonists in the series.  They are great because they actually make mistakes and are even made to suffer for those mistakes instead of being forgiven like just about every male protagonist in the series; they're bad because those mistakes are often really stupid or horrible (symptom of the devs' misogyny, I won't even sugarcoat it) and serve mostly to give their male counterparts an excuse to come save them or otherwise steal the spotlight by being the perfect little Gary Stu's they are.
  • Fates and Awakening have the most interesting and appealing casts.  Not sure if it's an unpopular opinion in general, but I know it's unpopular on this forum.  Some are just bland, over-played gimmicks sure; I don't think anyone can deny that.  But vets love to cherry pick the worst of the new games and compare them the best of the old games while simultaneously forgetting the utter trite a lot of older characters are.
  • Birthright's cast is slightly better than Conquest's cast.  At least the royals are only middling at worst, while Fates has the ever-so-flawed Xander whose inconsistencies make Conquest's story all the more insufferable.  The supporting cast of CQ has an edge in having a few more interesting characters than BR, but BR has Oboro and angry vengeful ninja man, and Scarlet actually gets to survive.  Oh, and Shiro's one of the few shonen protagonist-esque characters that's actually good.
  • On that topic, Conquest's gameplay designs do not outweigh the trite quality of the story for me.  I actually prefer to use Revelation to experience the CQ cast's supports, while I can still play BR.  I suppose it's also because of the morals behind playing CQ combined with the fact that I'm fighting and killing two of my favorite characters in this game in CQ.  This all in combination just urks me from playing the game.
  • Oboro is the best written character in Fates, not Xander or even Takumi.  Maybe not as unpopular an opinion, but I'm sure there are lots of people who'd disagree still simply by virtue of her not being a main character.  Takumi is close, but Oboro has a bit more of an explanation for her xenophobia and her other "gimmicks", so she slightly edges him out.  Also, she manages to break the mold in spite of having almost no story involvement, which is a pretty big deal.
  • Lyn is okay.  Not the worst character ever, but not all that great either.  Definitely not deserving of a number one place on the popularity poll of CYL, and I think the sole reason she got there is because of some older fans not wanting Lucina to get the top spot instead, and she was the easiest because she was the first FE bae for the west.
  • Not unpopular in general but fairly unpopular here, Lucina's one of the best lord characters in the series.  Though then again, most lords are little more than shonen protagonists and naive princesses, so having a strong female lead who actually stirs emotions in me (emotions that don't make me want to punch her, that is) is a refreshing change of pace.  And it's so satisfying when she actually gets to be the main hero in Future Past.
  • Shadow Dragon was actually decent.  Perfect recreation of the original game with better balancing and difficulty levels to challenge old school fans.  It only could've been better if it was New Mystery minus Kris or something like Echoes.
  • Do people hate me yet?
  • Also, doubt this is an unpopular opinion, but I just wanted to ask; does anyone else think Yuri Lowenthal is the perfect voice for Marth and that the next Smash game should officially cast him as such?
17 minutes ago, DarkLordIvy said:

After lurking on this thread some more I am even more firmly of the opinion that this entire fanbase needs to calm the fuck down and agree to disagree on like 90% of all topics. 

Is this an unpopular opinion as well?

In all seriousness I agree, though in this thread it's just, like, three or four people arguing.

17 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

doubt this is an unpopular opinion, but I just wanted to ask; does anyone else think Yuri Lowenthal is the perfect voice for Marth and that the next Smash game should officially cast him as such?

Hmm...I think he does a good Marth, but sometimes it's a little too soft. I'd prefer it if he added a little more power to it, but it's not bad. Better thank Spencer's voice for him. As for casting him in Smash...maybe, but there'd be a massive uproar. Dual audio would work, but I don't want to add too much pressure on Sakurai. Can they at least update his Japanese lines? They've been the same clips since Melee.

8 hours ago, Azzurohr said:
  • Lucia is the most underrated female character in the Tellius series, let alone in Fire Emblem and no, that is NOT my bias talking. She's trapped in the very wrong game series with Elincia and because she is, she's over-shadowed not only by Ike, but by the likes of Mia, Nephenee and Titania among others. It's all the more why I'm utterly saddened that she did not get the supports she needed and deserved in both games, as well as the availability as a unit. Worst of all; her shining moment is overshadowed by THAT cutscene (sighs wistfully). She is so over-shadowed by literally everything and anything, let alone cast of as another boring loyal knight BECAUSE she didn't get more than what she deserved in the games; it's just so depressing...

I agree with this. Her and Geoffrey could have been far better characters if they had just been giving the screen time that they deserved. Even Elincia should have gotten more as well, especially in RD. She barely does anything in PoR and her part in RD is 5 fucking chapters long, and after that, (with the exception of chapter 10 part 3 where she does have a rather good moment to shine), she barely does anything after that, WTF! They ALL deserved more than what they got, and it is infuriating knowing that my favorite characters in these games are barely present. I mean all 3 of them are playable for less than 5 chapters in RD, outside of the endgame. Elincia and Geoffrey get 4 and Lucia only gets 3, like what the shit, ugh! 

1 hour ago, Elincia said:

[Anyone] could have been far better characters if they had just been giving the screen time that they deserved.

RD in a nutshell. Is meh if you don't care about the main plot at any given moment because that's where 99% of the game's focus went. Don't care about Sephiran? Too bad, here's another flashback.

One opinion that I have is that most of the music in Fire Emblem Fates was rather mediocre for me, although I liked some of it such as Vanity judge I didn't like as much of the soundtrack as I did for other games such as Awakening, Sacred Stones and Blazing Sword.

copying the post I made on reddit

I feel like Xander gets way too much hate-- I think he's one of the better written characters in Fates. ...and as a whole, I prefer the Nohr siblings much more over the Hoshido siblings.

I disliked Conquest's story the least.

Obviously apart from how she treats Noire and Robin, I don't find Tharja to be that bad of a character(in fact, she's one of my favorites of the Awakening cast). Also, I rather like Rhajat and she is one of my favorite Fates kids. Really, my problem with her is that Treehouse completely got rid of her unique Support with F!Corrin, which I thought was really good and cute.

TMS#FE is a fun, enjoyable game.

I prefer Awakening and Fates over Echoes.

While I have my complaints with how Treehouse handled the localization (as one was previously mentioned), as a whole I do not consider it to be the worst thing ever, and I find people are much too harsh towards it.

I do not have a problem with Celica wanting to give up her soul out of a desire to protect Alm and to free Mila, given her love for the former and her reliance on the Gods due to her upbringing. What I do have a problem with is that it eventually causes her to become a damsel in distress later, however.

I liked Lyn's story.

2 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Most of the female protagonists are simultaneously the best and worst protagonists in the series.  They are great because they actually make mistakes and are even made to suffer for those mistakes instead of being forgiven like just about every male protagonist in the series; they're bad because those mistakes are often really stupid or horrible (symptom of the devs' misogyny, I won't even sugarcoat it) and serve mostly to give their male counterparts an excuse to come save them or otherwise steal the spotlight by being the perfect little Gary Stu's they are.

^
also, this.

I'm sure, out of all unpopular opinions here, mine are the most unpopular

Edited by spiderbrush

Not sure if this is an unpopular opinion, but I find that FE7's soundtrack is the worst in the series. It's pretty bland and there aren't many standout pieces.

I actually really like Alm's character in SoV but I think he's in the wrong story. I wish he was a bit more aggressive to fit the themes of the story better.

Conquest had the best story of the Fates trilogy but that's because it was more enjoyable than the other two.

FE8 is a really weak entry in the series. What were they smoking when they made the last two chapters? What were they smoking when they added Seth? Where the hell is the balance? Don't get me wrong I like steamrolling chapters with my overpowered units every now and then but that doesn't excuse the flaws the game has.

Edited by Pixelman

2 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Is this an unpopular opinion as well?

In all seriousness I agree, though in this thread it's just, like, three or four people arguing.

Ha! I do think that there are probably some people who believe that their opinions are infallible and agreeing to disagree would be just "the worst"

To the Ike argument people though, you all need to accept that if people like Ike, you aren't going to change their opinion with petty complaints. And if you don't like Ike you aren't going to change anyone's opinions with your petty complaints. Seriously chill! Have a snickers.

2 hours ago, Lautsuu said:

Hmm...I think he does a good Marth, but sometimes it's a little too soft. I'd prefer it if he added a little more power to it, but it's not bad. Better thank Spencer's voice for him. As for casting him in Smash...maybe, but there'd be a massive uproar. Dual audio would work, but I don't want to add too much pressure on Sakurai. Can they at least update his Japanese lines? They've been the same clips since Melee.

honestly, I really didn't like his voice for marth

like, I was pretty excited about heroes giving voices to characters who didn't have any before, and around when they added the path of radiance characters, I started playing path of radiance again and there were very few times when I couldn't imagine ike, soren, titania, and mist sounding like that. i was already pretty impressed by how the voices fit, and i was even happier with them after looking at their old dialogue again.

but with yuri lowenthal and marth, I just can't really see it in the same way. like, the performance isn't bad? but I can't really read any of marth's lines from shadow dragon and imagine him sounding like that. he definitely does sound too soft, and I feel like that's a big issue for a character like marth. like, marth was really kind and forgiving a lot of the time, but another big thing about him was that he was really determined to get revenge on the dudes who killed his family.  it's okay for most of his lines in heroes, but I can't really picture marth having that voice for things like 

“Your concern for me is more than enough, Nyna. One day, I will get your family’s treasures back and use them to crush Doluna. I swear it on this emblem of fire!”

i guess maybe it's based more on his appearance in... pretty much all the other games marth was in, since he had a lot less personality beyond just being nice in FE1 and 3, and kinda went back to that in FE12, but when I think of marth, I usually think of this marth, and it just doesn't work for me because of that. it's fine for most of the lines he has, but it's not what I would want marth to sound like. but at this point, there's not really any going back on that, so I guess i've gotta get used to it.

18 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Were these really necessary?

Nope. I just get too much fun out of trolling for my own good, so feel free to ignore me(this also applies to at least 85% of anything I say that isn't about Cordelia or the Whitewings).

4 hours ago, Elincia said:

I agree with this. Her and Geoffrey could have been far better characters if they had just been giving the screen time that they deserved. Even Elincia should have gotten more as well, especially in RD. She barely does anything in PoR and her part in RD is 5 fucking chapters long, and after that, (with the exception of chapter 10 part 3 where she does have a rather good moment to shine), she barely does anything after that, WTF! They ALL deserved more than what they got, and it is infuriating knowing that my favorite characters in these games are barely present. I mean all 3 of them are playable for less than 5 chapters in RD, outside of the endgame. Elincia and Geoffrey get 4 and Lucia only gets 3, like what the shit, ugh! 

Suck it up, buttercup. Not all characters can have a buttload of screen time. Kieran is one of my favorite characters in the series, but he gets even less than those you mentioned. You don't see me crying about it. :P

Though I do agree that part 2 should've been a little longer, because yeah, you can barely use Geoffrey or Lucia otherwise. No wonder they're considered so bad unit-wise.

@SoulWeaver Oh, well, okay then. xP

Edited by Anacybele

11 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Generally speaking such complaints are met with the rationalizations about Marth world's legacy, its popularity in Japan and its good sales. And that's fair but it does indicate that the Archanean bias is either accepted, understood or tolerated rather then disliked. 

Hmm, fair enough. I never really thought about those rationalizations as what's considered a popular opinion.

I'm not a fan of Yuri Lowenthal as Marth. However, that could be because I'm not a fan of him in general, given how often I hear his voice in video games. Not to say he's bad, but I don't prefer him.

• Nephenee is not that great of a character or a unit. Aran is superior. Too bad he has, like, no backstory (just like most of the Dawn Brigade unfortunately).

Mine:

-Thracia 776 is a more fun game than Genealogy of the Holy War

-Actually, while the Jugdral games have a ton of great ideas, I find that the later games executed them better

-Axes are the most fun weapon type

-Evasion-oriented units are a pain in the tail to use in most games

-Defense-oriented units are the most enjoyable to use because they're less reliant on luck-of-the-RNG than evasion-oriented ones

3 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

-Actually, while the Jugdral games have a ton of great ideas, I find that the later games executed them better

This is why they need a remake that has the quality of Echoes. So much amazing potential.