What do the people eat in Pokemon?

Dragoncat

Simple question. But we're talking about a world where just about every animal can be an intelligent partner/pet. Would you seriously be able to look at a tepig and think "Mmm bacon" after you've won a gym badge with said tepig on your team? Do you think everyone's vegan, or...this?

feeder_pokemon__combusken_by_blueharuka-

Blue Haruka on Deviant Art has some great ideas, this being one of them. The pokemon based on animals we eat have two "breeds", one being the smaller "feeder" breed that lacks the intelligence of the standard. The standard breeds are still completely edible, but with the feeder breeds, who in their right mind would cook and eat a standard? 

In my Pokemon fics I've described peas, carrots, bananas, orange juice, maple oatmeal, cheese, cheesy poofs, burgers, and fries. I headcanon that the berries aren't something that humans eat. You could probably pop an oran berry into your mouth and chew it up and swallow it without any ill effects but it wouldn't taste good. Only pokemon like the taste of berries. So basically I think the food situation is pretty close to our world's. That burger was made from a feeder tauros, the cheese was made from the milk of a dairy/feeder miltank. 

Discuss!

Pokemon. Slowpoke tails are a delicacy, and people would have already been open to the idea about eating Pokemon to even think to put a Slowpoke tail in their mouth.

Plus, Pokemon eat other Pokemon, so it's not like Pokemon aren't a source of food in the world.

Given that Gen IV mentions straight-up eating Pokemon and a black market for Slowpoke tail exists, there probably isn't a taboo against eating the less sapient ones. Then again, the games have also been pretty inconsistent as to whether or not real world animals exist in the Pokemon world, so...

Slowpoke tails are only a Team Rocket thing. Just about everyone else looked down upon them for doing such a thing.

Pokemon eating other Pokemon is different. People treat Pokemon as partners, generally, not as food.

And I could swear that some berries were used in recipes for food that both people and Pokemon ate...

Edited by Anacybele

According to Meowth's experiences, Magikarp aren't edible despite looking like sushi material.

Tropius are a source of bananas, I guess.

Edited by Cerberus87

I'm fairly certain Pokemon are eaten. Pokemon are probably just a substitute for real animals in that universe.

Just because they can be domesticated doesn't mean they can't be eaten.

EDIT: There are mentions of real animals in both the games and anime, but I guess you just never see them in-game. I still think they eat 'mons, though.

Edited by saisymbolic
clarification

23 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Slowpoke tails are only a Team Rocket thing. Just about everyone else looked down upon them for doing such a thing.

Pokemon eating other Pokemon is different. People treat Pokemon as partners, generally, not as food.

And I could swear that some berries were used in recipes for food that both people and Pokemon ate...

These things are true, but it's also one of the only examples of food in the Pokemon world. I mean, there are things like the Rage Candybar, but I don't think people subsist on candy in Pokemon.

I do believe you're right about the berry food thing, but I never got the idea that that was some staple food.

Edited by Slumber

3 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I do believe you're right about the berry food thing, but I never got the idea that that was some staple food.

Yeah, I remember now, Dawn said that her mom used to give her mashed fruit when she was sick. And when Dawn tried to do the same for her Pachirisu when something was going on with it, it was berries that she mashed. So it can be assumed the berries were what Dawn's mom used too.

I don't think this is the only example of people eating berries though. I really want to say there were more.

Edited by Anacybele

We have canon proof of some food in the Pokémon games. Berries, as @Anacybele said, but also Moomoo Milk and the regional delicacies such as Lava Cookie, Old Gateau and Casteliacone. Those are eaten and drank by humans and Pokémon alike.

Lumiose City in Kalos is full of restaurants as well.

Edited by Cerberus87

I had completely forgotten about slowpoke tails. Well, remember the dude that was selling one for an outrageous price? That leads me to believe it's a delicacy somewhere and not just a Team Rocket thing. Team Rocket was cutting the tails off of the slowpokes that were sacred to Azalea's inhabitants to sell them to someone who would eat them...somewhere.

29 minutes ago, Cerberus87 said:

Tropius are a source of bananas, I guess.

I bet bananas are easier to get from actual banana trees and the tropius bananas...I'm picturing something exactly like the real world poaching of elephants for their ivory.

Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Sun and Moon confirm that people eat Pokemon. If you examine one of the shelves on the Thrifty Megamart, you will find meat for sale. If real animals don't exist in the Pokemon world than people eat the Pokemon themselves. And the DPPt games, the are books in the Canalave library that confirm that people eat Pokemon.

Spoiler

Image result for pokemon jelly donuts

Jelly filled donuts obviously, duh.

But in all seriousness, I would imagine some pokemon are edible, I mean pokemon eat other pokemon and I'm sure some pokemon would eat a human, so I wouldn't put it past people to eat pokemon.

Other than that their are non-meats and stuff.

19 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

And the DPPt games, the are books in the Canalave library that confirm that people eat Pokemon.

Forgot about this! The feeder breed theory is looking more and more CONFIRMED.

@Azz Omg, dat anime translation... -_-

Yeah, I would say the people in Pokemon would be eating berries, all the dessert goodies, and Pokemon themselves.  Honestly, it's not too out there considering in our world we eat animals, even some that we have domesticated so...yeah.

Little kid me in the late nineties and all had no idea what the hell those were. I never recalled the anime calling them anything. But if "jelly filled donut" was what it said at some point, then yeah, wow... :/

I do remember some episodes having replaced them with sandwiches in the west. This is understandable to me though, because again, I had no idea what the hell the "white and brown things" were and I obviously know what a sandwich is. It isn't unreasonable to think other kids at the time had the same mindset.

Edited by Anacybele

POKEMON ARE FRIENDS NOT FOOD

It's hard to tell when there's no confirmation if real animals exist or not.  All we really know is that at one point people did eat Pokemon.  However, if it was still a widely accepted practice, you'd expect more NPC's outside of shady fucks to mention it at some point.  It's still possible, but I don't think it's secretly confirmed.

1 hour ago, Azz said:
  Hide contents

Image result for pokemon jelly donuts

Jelly filled donuts obviously, duh.

But in all seriousness, I would imagine some pokemon are edible, I mean pokemon eat other pokemon and I'm sure some pokemon would eat a human, so I wouldn't put it past people to eat pokemon.

Other than that their are non-meats and stuff.

The irony is that I'm pretty sure we translated it correctly despite getting the same censored 4kids version as everyone else in the West.

Edited by Cerberus87

Well, there's definitely pokemon byproducts being eaten, such as Slowpoketails (as unethical as it's considered) and Moomoo milk.

And of course Pokemon were eaten. Well, we're not sure as to nowadays, but Son/Moon may have clinched it with a random reference to meat, in a world which never alluded to normal animals (unlike the anime for a few episodes). However, Farfetch'd was noted as rare because it was being hunted and cooked up in meals as well (with it's stick and all). So Farfetch'd certainly are still being eaten at least as far back as RBGY.

Also, Pidegot certainly have been confirmed eating Magikarp in Pokedex entries (Reliable as those are.....) all the way back in Gen 1 as well. So Pokemon being vegetarian and Magikarp being inedible has been disputable too.

This is a good question. Pokemon are so commonly touted as partners that it's reasonable to assume that vegetarianism is the standard in the pokemon world. There are clearly fruits and berries, and some pokemon like miltank can be milked, but that's still a huge deficiency in protein needed to survive. My guess is that the people in this universe are okay with eating pokemon eggs.

I've always thought of Pokémon like far'fetched, various fish pokemon, and Tauros being eaten, as they closely resemble animals we eat for food, and rarer/more elusive Pokémon like Arcanine, Starters, etc... are not eaten due to their rareness or the legends surrounding them, similar to how we have made hunting endangered species illegal. 

According to the anime, they eat snow.

Gen V also confirm Pokémon being eaten, if I remember it correctly. Given they're the only animals in the world (early installment wierdness aside), some of them are definitely eaten. Not the family Meowth, Rockruff, or your starter, since they're your companion, but definitely Fishes, and some other (Hvaing Miltank bred for Food instead of Milk, just like IRL, isn't too much of a stretch. Farftched is here to be eaten, and lot of Grass type Pokémon can produce different juice (Shuckle's Berry Juice is also a delicacy, actually.)

I have pretty strong Excel Saga vibes here, with Menchi (the dog that serves as emergency food.), but that would make kinda sense.

Yeah, Kalos and Alola games have restaurants and stuff with food made from berries, but I still say berries are more like...wild stuff that can be safe to eat, but not really fit for human consumption. Just replace whatever berry's in said dish with the fruit it's based on. So "tamato pasta" would be "tomato pasta". 

Also the Sushi High Roller in Alola mentions "steamed vegetables". Food for thought, pun completely intended. Pay close attention to how the food is described next time you're there for your 4 heart scales, and you'll see that not a single berry is mentioned.

Maybe some berries like pechas can be eaten? Pecha berries are supposed to taste sweet. Idk.