Is there any advantages in choosing to shiny hunt in past games over later titles?

Fryer

I know shiny hunting is a popular pastime for some Pokemon fans, but is there any advantages in hunting within Gens 3, 4, etc. over Gen VII? Also to those of you who shiny hunt using older titles, do you leave your found shinies in the generation you found it in, or do you transfer it to S/M?

I transferred a shiny Aggron from Emerald all the way to X, so yeah, I do transfer my shiny Pokemon sometimes. I plan to transfer the shinies I found in Diamond and Platinum recently too (Fearow in Diamond, and a Pidgey that's now a Pidgeot in Platinum. Yeah, I dunno what's with me and shiny Kanto birds lately. :P).

I'd say the only advantage to actually shiny hunting in previous generations are simply that they're a little more valuable, because shinies are rarer pre gen 6.

Edited by Anacybele

It's more difficult to shiny hunt in older gens from what I've gathered (I don't shiny hunt myself, but I watch some shiny hunts).  I think it was more popularized with Gen V because of the shiny charm though.

1 minute ago, MediocreLee said:

It's more difficult to shiny hunt in older gens from what I've gathered (I don't shiny hunt myself, but I watch some shiny hunts).  I think it was more popularized with Gen V because of the shiny charm though.

Game Freak does change the odds of encountering shiny Pokemon between generations so I guess shinies in older games have more value. Is it possible to shiny hunt in RSE if your internal battery is dry?

Gen 3 is flat rate of 1/8192, with no Masuda Method or other ways of raising shiny rate.

Gen 4 has Masuda Method, as well as Poke Radar in DPPt. Both make shinies easier to find, but Masuda isn't too big of a change, and Poke Radar is very tough to get used to.

Gen 5 only has Masuda Method, but it's odds are more than Gen 4's. Shiny Charm is also therein B2W2, but it's a big undertaking to get.

Gen 6 doubled shiny chance, making it easier to get shinies over all. There's also Poke Radar in XY, which works similarly to DPPt's, but is a little easier to manage. Chain fishing also got introduced, and it can increase odds incredibly. There's also Friend Safari, which increases odds to 1/512, and Shiny Charm doesn't affect this. It's a very safe way to get some shinies. ORAS gave us Dexnav, which also increases odds as well. Masuda is still there too.

Gen 7 has Masuda, SoS Battles, and a Shiny Charm that's MUCH easier to obtain. SoS battles are pretty easy to hunt in, but aren't particularly efficient with it.

The primary advantage, outside of instances of potentially easier encounters, is movesets. Some gens have tutors or TMs to teach moves to pokemon that other gens don't have. But unless it's a move you really like, that's not worth too much unless you play competitively or are going for some absolutely ruthless postgame tower thing run and wanna use your favorites.

41 minutes ago, MediocreLee said:

It depends on what you're hunting.  If it's for the starters, I think you'll be fine.  Anything beyond that will most likely not be a good time.

Why starters though? Does it have to do with the frames each shiny can be encountered in? I need to be clarified with this.

2 minutes ago, Fryer said:

Why starters though? Does it have to do with the frames each shiny can be encountered in? I need to be clarified with this.

After some research, you should be fine since I thought for GBA games with the battery dried it won't save.  So my bad.  Furthermore, you should still be able to shiny hunt with a dry battery.

I initially said starters though, if you couldn't keep your save or whatnot, is because it would've been easier to get starters because all you have to do is reset the game.