SNES Classic Includes never released Starfox 2 9/29

Jedi

Oh boy here we go again. 

This time we're including a game that hasn't actually ever been released but Star Fox fans like myself have sought after for years.

From what i've seen this is the collection 

Contra III: The Alien Wars™
Donkey Kong Country™
EarthBound™
Final Fantasy III
F-ZERO™
Kirby™ Super Star
Kirby’s Dream Course™
The Legend of Zelda™: A Link to the Past™
Mega Man® X
Secret of Mana
Star Fox™
Star Fox™ 2
Street Fighter® II Turbo: Hyper Fighting Super
Castlevania IV™
Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts®
Super Mario Kart™
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars™
Super Mario World™
Super Metroid™
Super Punch-Out!! ™
Yoshi’s Island™

Edited by Jedi

Holy Shit!

Nintendo never even rereleased the original Starfox. I didn't dare to imagine they would actually ever release Starfox 2, a game that would surely have been mindblowing to audiences if it had been released back then. This is fantastic.

Not to mention that they version of the game that is out on the web as a rom is not actually the final build of Starfox 2. So this version could be pretty interesting.

Edited by BrightBow

I'm hyped beyond believe for this set. NES Classic aside, this is my childhood, and I will obtain this.

3 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Holy Shit!

Nintendo never even rereleased the original Starfox. I didn't dare to imagine they would actually ever release Starfox 2, a game that would surely have been mindblowing to audiences if it had been released back then. This is fantastic.

Not to mention that they version of the game that is out on the web as a rom is not actually the final build of Starfox 2. So this version could be pretty interesting.

Lets hope we can get a good look at it ourselves huh? I want this.

I thought Starfox 2 wasn't actually finished and that's why they didn't release it.

In any case, this is incredible news! I may have to get my hands on one of these.

EDIT: no chrono trigger what the fuck

Edited by Darros
what WHY

Just now, Darros said:

I thought Starfox 2 wasn't actually finished and that's why they didn't release it.

In any case, this is incredible news! I may have to get my hands on one of these.

Nah it wasn't released due to the N64 coming out soon with Star Fox 64 if I recall the story. 

Just now, Jedi said:

Nah it wasn't released due to the N64 coming out soon with Star Fox 64 if I recall the story. 

Yeah I had heard that, I thought that's why they stopped development. But I guess this is before the days of big leaks so it really doesn't matter. We got it now!

I really hope they don't have shortages again since I really want to play Star Fox 2. I live in a small town and I don't think we ever really got a restock on the NES classic here at all, or if it was even stocked in the first place.

36 minutes ago, Darros said:

idk why they didnt but theyve said before that they have a basically complete version that will probably never be released

and now it will be, I guess

Wow. Nintendo did something nobody expected- release a game that landed on the cutting room floor decades ago and which few actually knew or cared about.

Also, I hope that they consider VCing it when the SNES Classic dies down/is prematurely taken off the market.

Secret of Mana is nice too. I got the game on iOS b/c it wasn't on the Wii U eShop- the controls are being more of a pain than I hoped for.

Unfortunately, they didn't give us everything we could ask for- just like with the NES Classic: no DKC/MMX 2 or 3, KDL3 or FFII. Nor Pilotwings which Ninty liked advertising in SSB4. But what we do have is still excellent and worth buying.

1 minute ago, Captain Karnage said:

I'm looking forward to getting one, if I can actually get one this time around

kinda think it's a little pricy, I think $60 would have been a better price

Pretty much any cart of one of those games would go for $60 at absolute minimum. This thing's a steal with all the high end games on it.

I'd buy the $80 emulation machine if it was the original Super Famicom design (Super Nintendo OTOH is very muted and looks kind of ugly).  As it is, I'm probably not going to go out of my way to buy one when I already one around 40% of the games on it.

Great selection of games, though, and releasing Star Fox 2 on it was genius.  I'm hyped for the Gameboy Advance one! =)

Well, time to take a day off work from Target just to spend it waiting outside the door of Target. Probably should try getting there really early. My Target's probably going to get like, four of these things on launch and then never get any again.

1 hour ago, Darros said:

That's a weird one to skip,

But this seems pretty good. Especially since games like Earthbound are like $10 on the eshop, so with that logic, that would be 8 eshop games as opposed to 21 for $80.

The list seems pretty good even though I never owned a SNES and the only game I have played on this list is Final Fantasy 6, but I am interested in several of these games

2 hours ago, Darros said:

Sounds like Square Enix being Square Enix tbh.  They always seem to be iffy with their licenses in general considering they allowed Secret of Mana but not Chrono Trigger.

But one would argue, they're still selling Chrono Trigger DS but at the same time it's on the Wii VC so idk.

Edited by kingddd

3 hours ago, BrightBow said:

Which levels from Star Fox 2 wasn't actually finished in the beta version? I am extremely surprised to see that they managed to get Star Fox 2 in the SNES Classic Edition.

I must have this console!!!!

I couldn't get my hand on the NES Classic but I need this.

Also, I may sound needy but I wish they released Mystery of the Emblem on here.

22 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

Which levels from Star Fox 2 wasn't actually finished in the beta version? I am extremely surprised to see that they managed to get Star Fox 2 in the SNES Classic Edition.

There is nothing that's blatantly unfinished in the Beta. Well, other then the Pepper coins not doing anything. It's not hard to imagine that this version with the debug mode disabled, Corneria's lifebar activated and a few bugs squished could be the final version of the game.

But according to Beta64, referencing an Nintendolife interview with developer Dylan Cuthbert, that man possesses the final build of the game and according to him it's still quite a bit different from those other builds floating across the web.

And it looks like Nintendolife just republished that article, so I suppose I can quote the relevant part:

In a neat twist, it would be during the production of Star Fox Command that Cuthbert was re-acquainted with his past, ill-fated project. "During development we received a copy of the mastered Star Fox 2 ROM to play, and it was quite a blast." This ROM would have been the final game, complete with QA tweaks and ready for a release that never happened. Cuthbert is keen to point out that this version is far superior to the numerous leaked prototype ROMs which are currently doing the rounds on the web - the leaking of which has been erroneously attributed to himself. "There are a few ROMs on the net in various conditions," he states. "But the ones I checked out are all old and they don't have the randomizing Rogue-like stuff working or all the encounters in place, so you don't really get the feel of the game we were making."

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/06/feature_the_full_story_behind_star_fox_2_nintendos_most_famous_cancellation

Edited by BrightBow

Just saying, the Japanese version is coming out on October 5th for 7980 yen and has four extra games that the international release isn't getting, Panel De Pon, Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem, Legend of the Mystical Ninja and Super Formation Soccer.

I would be very willing to buy the JP version solely so I can have Mystery of the Emblem not on an emulator.

1 hour ago, Azz said:

Just saying, the Japanese version is coming out on October 5th for 7980 yen and has four extra games that the international release isn't getting, Panel De Pon, Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem, Legend of the Mystical Ninja and Super Formation Soccer.

I would be very willing to buy the JP version solely so I can have Mystery of the Emblem not on an emulator.

For the record, Japanese version is also 21 games, so the trade-off is that it's not getting Super Punch-Out, Super Castlevania IV, Earthbound, and Kirby's Dream Course. It also has Super Street Fighter II instead of Street Fighter II Turbo.

1 hour ago, Azz said:

Panel De Pon, Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem, Legend of the Mystical Ninja

I was wondering if Japan threw an FE into it. And so they did. Have no idea about the soccer game, but Goemon is/was popular in Japan, and Panel de Pon it'd make sense they'd drop it from an international version.

And Kirby's Dream Course as one of the replacements (I'm guessing for Panel de Pon)? Kinda weak- not that KDL3 is that good, but better than a golf spinoff? Quite possibly. Super Castlevania IV was likely chosen to replace Mystical Ninja- given they're both platformers. Super Punch Out probably replaces the soccer game- both are sports, and that means Mystery of the Emblem, an SRPG, was replaced by a pure RPG in Earthbound.

And why would Japan get Super Street Fighter II over the Turbo edition? Isn't Turbo better? (What is the premiere pre-modern edition of SSFII by the way?)

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I was wondering if Japan threw an FE into it. And so they did. Have no idea about the soccer game, but Goemon is/was popular in Japan, and Panel de Pon it'd make sense they'd drop it from an international version.

And Kirby's Dream Course as one of the replacements (I'm guessing for Panel de Pon)? Kinda weak- not that KDL3 is that good, but better than a golf spinoff? Quite possibly. Super Castlevania IV was likely chosen to replace Mystical Ninja- given they're both platformers. Super Punch Out probably replaces the soccer game- both are sports, and that means Mystery of the Emblem, an SRPG, was replaced by a pure RPG in Earthbound.

And why would Japan get Super Street Fighter II over the Turbo edition? Isn't Turbo better? (What is the premiere pre-modern edition of SSFII by the way?)

Super has more characters, I personally consider that the superior version. 

It's funny how such an amazing lineup can still be this underwhelming, but that's only because the SNES was one of a kind when it comes to quality games. :D

Speaking of Street Fighter, I believe Turbo might be the preferred version to newcomers because from what I can recall it's a bit faster and thus closer to the speed of the modern game. SSFII is quite slow and, despite having more characters, I find its soundtrack largely inferior to the one from vanilla SFII.

I must say we're getting the better games than the Japanese. No FE kinda sucks but they wouldn't localize FE3 just for this release, sadly.

This one might actually be worth the price since the Raspberry Pi is terrible at emulating almost anything requiring a supplementary chip. In this lineup there's Star Fox 1 and 2 and Super Mario RPG which are quite hard to emulate with inaccurate emulators. There's also Super Mario Kart but anything runs that anyway.

Edited by Cerberus87