Fate/Grand Order General

Caster

One full summon and eleven tickets later, and the best thing I got was the Jeweled Sword.  Lancelot doesn't want to share me, it seems!

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Jingle Jangle said:
  Hide contents

unknown.png

unknown.png

An animation update for Bryn and the next banner is coming out in 15 minutes.

so ikemen sigurd and idk who the fuck the girl is.

I get this feel for an original character due to the eyes.

1 hour ago, Mister Rogers said:

so ikemen sigurd and idk who the fuck the girl is.

I get this feel for an original character due to the eyes.

Spoiler

The other girl is Valkyrie.  More or less a servant that represents all the unnamed valkyries that serve Odin.  They are essentially what Bryn was before encountering Sigurd.

Each ascension is apparently a different valkyrie.

On that note, Bryn's animation update looks nice.

37 minutes ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:
  Hide contents

The other girl is Valkyrie.  More or less a servant that represents all the unnamed valkyries that serve Odin.  They are essentially what Bryn was before encountering Sigurd.

Each ascension is apparently a different valkyrie.

On that note, Bryn's animation update looks nice.

huh that's cool

Spoiler

on that note, I do hope we see some references to other named valkyries like Sigrun and Reginleif.

9 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:
  Hide contents

1531926512218.png

Saber Illya? Interesting 

DW sure has wallet-breaker equipped in its B slot.

Regarding the new JP stuff...

Spoiler

Valkyrie looks all right. Currently I'm partial to the first ascension artwork as it seems there are "three servants in one" deal for her. The final ascension has all three present.

Sigurd looks like something out of Xenoblade Chronicles X or Metal Gear Rising, but his 3rd ascension forms looks all right. He seems interesting enough. Apparently, he is a limited servant.

"Saber Illya" looks interesting and I want to know how she ties into the story and the like.

Regarding the Caster!Scathach person...

Spoiler

Apparently it is Skaldi possessing Scathach's body or something. The name seems to be "Scathach=Skadi."

The NP is straight up support and called "Gate of Sky." Although, this was the enemy using the NP, so it may be different if/when fielded by the player.

Bryn's animation update looks amazing, although I don't know what her animations originally looked like.

5 minutes ago, Sire said:

Regarding the new JP stuff...

Hide contents

Valkyrie looks all right. Currently I'm partial to the first ascension artwork as it seems there are "three servants in one" deal for her. The final ascension has all three present.

Sigurd looks like something out of Xenoblade Chronicles X or Metal Gear Rising, but his 3rd ascension forms looks all right. He seems interesting enough. Apparently, he is a limited servant.

"Saber Illya" looks interesting and I want to know how she ties into the story and the like.

Regarding the Caster!Scathach person...

Hide contents

Apparently it is Skaldi possessing Scathach's body or something. The name seems to be "Scathach=Skadi."

The NP is straight up support and called "Gate of Sky." Although, this was the enemy using the NP, so it may be different if/when fielded by the player.

Bryn's animation update looks amazing, although I don't know what her animations originally looked like.

Spoiler

that's actually fitting since there's speculation that Scatach evolved from Skadi from the norse invading ireland and melding their mythologies together.

I mean it's probably gonna be a trend of scatach faces since we also have uatach and aife to go through.

but Skadi is more of a mountain/warrior goddess, not a caster type to my knowledge. I'm curious to see how that will turn out.

Sigurd's design is kinda disappointing tbh. I was expecting something more metal, not a pretty boy with glasses.

5 minutes ago, Mister Rogers said:

Sigurd's design is kinda disappointing tbh. I was expecting something more metal, not a pretty boy with glasses.

Sigurd was always going to have glasses.  Bryn's Valentine's chocolate is a model of them (which is mentioned in the CE description).

So many men lately.   I approve of this trend.  Does that mean we'll get Saber Diarmuid soon?  Please?

In other news, I rolled on the Lartoria banner, got Marie.  So many AoE Riders between the Iskandars, Martha, this Marie, eventual summer Ishtar, and eventual rolling for Achilles/Astolfo.  

I decided to use the tickets in the Lartoria banner to see if I could get Gawain. Only notable things I got were my 4th Projection and the Volumen Hydrargyrum who can spell this without using Google?. That CE seems quite powerful so I'm happy with that.

On other good news, I finally got enough Medals to ascend Saberlot. His skills are going to be stuck at 4/4/4 for a good while but now I can get him to FA so that's very good! Now, to farm Chaos Claws to get Euryale to 10/10/10.

I didn't see anyone post Caster Scathach's skills/NP, so I'll just do it in case someone here hasn't seen it. This is based on the boss fight for the record.

1: Quick Up + Crit Damage up on Quick Cards (Possibly targetable, hard to tell since I believe she only uses it on herself in the boss fight)

2: AOE Stun

3: AOE Def + Stargen down

NP:
Crit Damage up
1-Hit Dodge
Instant-Death Immunity
Damage Cut (Overcharge)

Edited by Phillius the Crestfallen

Skadi looks okay. Apparently her deck is QQAAB.

I’m holding off on saying things like “Caster Sca best quick support” since making a strong support for quick is inherently difficult, due to the playstyle.

The Takeuchi criticism is overblown. His artwork is good, and he has done a great deal of art for servants both in F/GO and out of it. His style is very distinct so occasionally you’ll find similarities between otherwise different characters. Saberface are a thing because he didn’t want to draw a different face each time.

But going to extremes like “accusing” him of tracing his past work is beyond stupid. Who cares? By that logic, every artist who has contributed artwork for a servant in this game is a fraud who traces their work. They draw the same pose three times for ascension artwork. Unless their name is I-IV.

Not sure how I feel about the new servants. Valkyrie plays very similar to Parvati, but Parvati is both a servant I like much more and one with stronger buffs. Sigurd may very well have the highest potential NP damage in the game using just the skills from his kit, but he seems like a servant who would have been much stronger if released earlier in the game’s life. I think I’ll have to skip yet again.

11 hours ago, MrSmokestack said:

Sigurd may very well have the highest potential NP damage in the game using just the skills from his kit, but he seems like a servant who would have been much stronger if released earlier in the game’s life.

What do you mean by that?

13 hours ago, MrSmokestack said:

I’m holding off on saying things like “Caster Sca best quick support” since making a strong support for quick is inherently difficult, due to the playstyle.

I mean, if her Quick Up is targetable she is going to be. The only other Quick Supports really are Osakabe, Atalanta, Wu Zetian, and maybe Alexander if you wanna be generous, all of whom she'll blow out of the water. She's obviously no Merlin, but I'd definitely put her on about the same level as Tamamo.

I'm also not sure what you mean by quick having a difficult playstyle to make a support for, but eh.

3 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

What do you mean by that?

Sigurd has the highest Atk and HP of all Sabers in the game, tied with Arthur Prototype. However, what really sets his damage apart is having a single-target NP backed by Mana Burst that also gets a SE modifier vs dragons. Siegfried’s damage comes very close due to having three incredibly strong self buffs in his on top of NP interlude and SE modifier. Against single enemies and most non-dragons, though, Sigurd well outpaces him.

In short, Sigurd hits hard. Very hard.

However, his kit seems a bit dated by this point in JP. His burst is very spaced out and he has very little in the way of utility and sustain, unlike fellow ST Saber Musashi. The cooldown on his mana burst being 2 turns longer than usual isn’t helping things either. He is in a situation to Berserker Kintoki in NA; incredibly powerful early on when enemies don’t have very much health or any gimmicks to complicate fighting them, but lose value when those things are in play.

He’s far from bad, though.

2 hours ago, Phillius the Crestfallen said:

I mean, if her Quick Up is targetable she is going to be. The only other Quick Supports really are Osakabe, Atalanta, Wu Zetian, and maybe Alexander if you wanna be generous, all of whom she'll blow out of the water. She's obviously no Merlin, but I'd definitely put her on about the same level as Tamamo.

We don’t know very much about the scaling on her skills or their CDs. It’s just too early to tell for being an enemy-only servant at the moment. It’s also worth noting that the crit damage buff seems to only affect Quick cards, if you look closely. Yuck.

I’m surprised you didn’t mention Tristan. He has a team dodge, buff removal, and utility NP he can charge with some planning.

Caster Skadi isn’t lowering CDs nor is anything in her kit anywhere near as unique. Definitely not on par with Tamamo right now unless we get some new information about her. Assuming she gets a release soon. She probably will, but like I said before, there’s no way to tell at the moment.

I'm also not sure what you mean by quick having a difficult playstyle to make a support for, but eh.

Quick has always been the worst card type, both before and after 2030. Quick relies on the same supports that are better taken advantage of by Buster and Arts. Many of the best quick units are locked behind limited SR and SSR, with the only notable ones in the general pool that are very strong on a team being Hessian Lobo and Atalante Alter. Quicks tend to lack survivability and they have issues with damage and NP gain due to the nature of the quick card (relative to the other two card types). Star generation isn’t even in their favor as it is often overkill and stars per turn is readily available on other servants and CEs. Nobody wants to crit on a quick card. It’s a waste of an action. They want to buster crit for obscene damage or arts crit for fueling constant NPs.

Many of quick’s most popular servants—namely Okita, Jack, and Rider Kintoki—are powerful because they function well completely by themselves. Or rather, they are at their best when a team isn’t behind them. Not exactly friendly for any CQs they can’t solo.

If quicks were just as easy to run on a team as buster and arts, we would probably see more of them. But this is clearly not the case. People would rather buffstack an Arts DPS, plugsuit into suicide Caster Gil, then watch three turns of retarded burst. Most quick runs I’ve seen in JP are meme runs with something ridiculous like Jack and double Osakabehime trivializing the Death Jail Summer CQ. Demonstrations with competent quick-centric teams are noticeably rare.

EDIT: I should probably add this to really hit the point home. Other than generic supports like Hans or Mash, budget support options for a quick team are nonexistent. Contrast this with Mozart and Shakespeare for Arts and Buster respectively. If you really wanted to scrape the barrel, you also have Boudica and Romulus. Do we see anything like this for quick other than Alexander? No. Many of their dedicated supports have a shiny gold border that makes building teams using them very expensive. Almost prohibitively so for people who can’t roll often. That in my opinion hurts quick the most.

Edited by MrSmokestack

1 hour ago, MrSmokestack said:

Quick has always been the worst card type, both before and after 2030. Quick relies on the same supports that are better taken advantage of by Buster and Arts.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I always thought that this happenned because quick supports like the DEF side of the support role. Like arts got the off AND def side covered - be it through heals/def up/dmg cut - or with card buffs / atk buffs and all that things.

On free quest hell: cleared all the quests I had left -from London to Camelot. Then I installed myself in Bountifull Sea until this half AP ends... I need all the damn SEEDs I can get :P

6 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

We don’t know very much about the scaling on her skills or their CDs. It’s just too early to tell for being an enemy-only servant at the moment. It’s also worth noting that the crit damage buff seems to only affect Quick cards, if you look closely. Yuck.

True enough. It's also worth mentioning that the Stun only happens on HP break, so that might not actually be a skill of hers. She also has full NP charge on break, but so did Valkyrie and Sigurd in their boss fights so I feel like I can safely rule that one out.

I did mention the crit up only affecting Quick cards, but I don't mind it to much. Especially considering that she has 50% Crit up on NP.

9 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

I’m surprised you didn’t mention Tristan. He has a team dodge, buff removal, and utility NP he can charge with some planning.

I was mostly sticking to people who can give Quick up to other people. Tristan is more of a general support who happens to have a Quick NP.

11 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

Caster Skadi isn’t lowering CDs nor is anything in her kit anywhere near as unique. Definitely not on par with Tamamo right now unless we get some new information about her. Assuming she gets a release soon. She probably will, but like I said before, there’s no way to tell at the moment.

Fair enough.

12 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

Quick has always been the worst card type, both before and after 2030. Quick relies on the same supports that are better taken advantage of by Buster and Arts.

Only because Quick has been lacking in support options for three years at this point, whilst Merlin has been out for a year and Tamamo even longer.

13 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

Many of the best quick units are locked behind limited SR and SSR, with the only notable ones in the general pool that are very strong on a team being Hessian Lobo and Atalante Alter.

I would argue that this is the big problem; the barrier to entry.

Spoiler

Buster Always Available:
Artoria, Altera, Drake, Mordred, Arjuna, Karna, Nightingale, Xuanzang, Ozymandias, Enkidu, Siegfried, Emiya, Liz, Martha, Stheno, Carmilla, Herc, Beowulf, Rama, Ibaraki, Vlad Extra

Buster Story-Locked:
Salter, Cascu, Bluebeard, Nero, Tesla, Lalter, Cu Alter, Medb, LArtoria, Gawain, Bedivere, Quetzalcoatl, Gorgon, Jaguar Man, Columbus, Danzo

Buster Limited:
Gilgamesh, Kintoki, Brynhildr, Amakusa, Jalter, Iskandar, Raiko, Tamamo Lancer, Illya, Cleopatra, Ishtar, Musashi, King Hassan, Moriarty, Arthur, Hijikata, Caster Nero, Abigail, Ereshkigal, Semiramis, Ivan, Okita Alter, Sigurd, Summer Kiyo, Summer Martha, Summer Anne and Mary, Passionlip, Summer Nobu, Summer Raikou, Fujino

Arts Always Available:
Vlad, Jeanne, Orion, D’Eon, Nursery Rhyme, Fionn, Helena, Nitocris, Saberlot, Caster Gil

Arts Story-Locked:
Medusa Lily, Li Shuwen, Emiya Alter, Munenori, Sheba, Salieri

Arts Limited:
Nero Bride, Saber Shiki, Shuten, Da Vinci, Archuria, Kiara, Sherlock, Hokusai, Summer Antoinette, Summer Mordred, Summer Nitocris, Summer Helena, Okada

Quick Always Available:
Jack, Atalanta, Zerkerlot, Tamamo Cat, Fran, Astolfo, Lobo, Yan Qing

Quick Story-Locked:
Tristian

Quick Limited:
Okita, Scathach, MHX, Dantes, MHX Alter, Meltlilith, Summer Salter, Summer Fran

The complaints about playstyle I don't think really matter due to the fact that this game has no PVP function, not to mention that the PVE in this game rarely ever needs an 'optimal' playstyle. I care only minimally about the inherent weakness of Quick cards because that sort of thing only matters in like 0.01% of the situations you could actually run into in this game. When I say 'I want a proper Quick support', it's not because I'm obsessed with Quick becoming as viable as Buster or Arts (not that I'd be opposed to or support some QoL changes), it's because my two favourite servants, amongst many others I like, are Quick-based and I want to be able to use them without feeling like I'm handicapping myself to do it, and this is coming from an unashamed tier-whore.

49 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

Many of quick’s most popular servants—namely Okita, Jack, and Rider Kintoki—are powerful because they function well completely by themselves. Or rather, they are at their best when a team isn’t behind them. Not exactly friendly for any CQs they can’t solo.

I mean, that's sort of true. I won't deny that a lot of Quick supports in the current meta are defined by being self-reliant, but I'd also argue that a lot of Quick Servants suffer from having outdated kits. To continue with Okita as an example, your description of Sigurd describes her perfectly as well; capable of murdering almost anything but:

-Lopsided and overly-bursty damage output
-Minimal sustain hampered by being tied to DPS skills
-Minimal to non-existent team utility
-Falls off hard against enemies with added gimmicks and additional health bars

I'd argue that the 'dated kit' label applies to most Quick-based servants except Jack, Kintoki, and maybe Scathach and Atalanta Alter, but it doesn't change the fact that while Arts and Buster get a wide variety in their attackers, almost every prominent Quick-based attacker deals solely in huge, 1-turn NPCritCrit chains with little to non-existent team utility.

59 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

Demonstrations with competent quick-centric teams are noticeably rare.

Again, I'd put that down less to Quick cards being weak compared to the other two, because as I've said I don't think that really matters, and more because Quick teams haven't been given adequate support by DW.

Lets use Arts as an example:
-Tamamo as the primary support (NP Drain, Heal on Skill and NP, 50% Arts up for 3 turns, a hefty, party-wide NP charge refund on NP, skill cooldown-reduction, Shapeshift for sustainability)

-Jeanne as the Queen of Stall as a secondary support (Crit stars per turn, Stun, Invinsibility, Defense increase, and HP regen on a somewhat spammable NP, ungodly sustain thanks to highest HP in the game combined with Ruler resistance)

-Nero Bride (Targetable NP gen up, attack up, star gen up, HP recover, def up, and burn + def and critical damage reduction on NP) and Sherlock (NP seal, gain stars, def reduction + party wide ignore invincibility and def on NP) who are capable of fulfilling a supporting role whilst being viable attacks in their own rights.

-For huge burst attackers, you've got Artemis (Absolutely shreds male enemies + attack reduction and chance to reduce NP charge on NP), Vlad (NP drain, sustainability in Def increase and guts, gain stars on NP, near-universal attacker due to being a berserker), and Da Vinci (NP Damage up, Guts, Def increase, Debuff immunity, HP recovery, Charge up per turn, Ignore Invuln, Gain Stars)

-For attackers with more utility, you have Kiara (Arts resistance down, Debuff resistance down, NP gauge down, reduce def, effectiveness against Rulers, improved def against humanoid enemies, invuln pierce and ignore def buffs on NP), Archura (party-wide def boost, HP recovery, party-wide atk up, increase star gen for male allies, change for NP gauge down on NP), Houkasai (debuff resistance down, def reduction to enemies hit by arts cards, 2 stars every turn from passive)

That's a lot of options for team-building, and what about Buster?
-The best support in the game (Merlin)

-A good secondary support with godly team sustain who can also put out good damage (Nightingale)

-The best burst-attackers in the game (Gilgamesh, JAlter, Quetzalcoatl, Musashi)

-The best wave-clearer in the game (Raikou)

-Attackers that also have amazing utility and team support (Amakusa, Ozymandias, Ivan, Ereshkigal, Semiramis, Brynhildr)

-Attackers that have the best survivability in the game (Cu Alter, King Hassan)

Comparably what does Quick have?
-Osakabehime, who whilst I think has potential as a secondary support, is nowhere near good enough to carry an entire team by herself like Tamamo or Merlin

-No primary support as of time of writing

-A lot units specialising in one-turn burst with minimal or non-existent team utility/sustainability (Okita, MHX and MHX Alter)

-Some attackers that do have utility, but still specialise in one-turn busting and/or are held back by other problems with their kit (Scathach, Jack, Meltlilith)

-A mediocre AOE attacker (Dantes) and an AOE attacker who has some good team utility (Achilles)

And this is looking at 5*s only, if I were to expand it to 4*s the disparity would become even worse.

My overall point being that yes, Quick cards do have inherent disadvantages when compared to the other ones, but the gameplay of FGO as a whole means that those disadvantages in the vast majority of situations don't matter at all; the reason Quick is regarded so poorly by the fanbase has more to do with the fact that DW hung it out to dry and gave it almost no tools to work with, especially compared to Buster, the card type I would go so far as to argue DW is bias towards and deliberately pumps up because they know people are more likely to whale for Buster units because of the Dick Wizard.

26 minutes ago, QKumber said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I always thought that this happenned because quick supports like the DEF side of the support role. Like arts got the off AND def side covered - be it through heals/def up/dmg cut - or with card buffs / atk buffs and all that things.

In a world without passive star generation, many of quick’s best damage dealers—like Jack, Okita, and Kintoki—would bring high star generation to the table. But 2030 and Innocent Monster make their star generation seem almost excessive, redundant even.

The quick card itself is also inherently bad, or at least not well designed. Nothing makes this more clear than comparing the first card bonus. A single, strong quick card in the back always makes more stars than a chain with a quick card in the front, unlike Arts followed by a Buster for NP gain, for example. Ten critical stars is also an underwhelming effect outside of solo situation compared to a 20% team battery or a stacked damage boost. In short, Quick was in a questionable position already by release, and 2030 simply obsoleted its greatest advantage.

@Phillius the Crestfallen I pretty much agree with everything you said. I do need to point out that I edited my post to include a note on budget supports at the end though.

I definitely don’t think Quick is so bad that a strategy revolving around it is unplayable. It is just a weaker strategy compared to Arts and Buster. F/GO is casual enough that there are many approaches to the same problems.

However, the comparison is still needed because of availability issues. While we normally have to assume that we are actually employing the strategy in question when evaluating something, in this case I think making an exception is appropriate. It’s hard to build dedicated Quick strategies when so many of its tools vary wildly in effectiveness and are effectively locked behind lots of quartz rolls. I agree that this holds Quick back more than anything.

Edited by MrSmokestack

1 hour ago, QKumber said:

On free quest hell: cleared all the quests I had left -from London to Camelot. Then I installed myself in Bountifull Sea until this half AP ends... I need all the damn SEEDs I can get :P

Its a mix of things also tagging @Phillius the Crestfallen and @MrSmokestack

Looking back at Casca made me realize something - her NP is literally Luminose Estelle

So it makes one thing very notable - the main flaw of Quick that make it unworkable as a team is - Arts Gain is too fucking broken and the game is already balanced around it.

Think about it this way - Buster team is just Arts with Buster NP whereas Arts Team is Arts Team. What makes Quick "unique" over Arts and Buster is Star Gen, the idea being you can get constant flow of stars to catch up with other cards in term of NP gen and damage. This works well in solo because this quick assumption is EVERY SINGLE TURN but not so much in team when unit average 1-2 cards

Now, even ignoring 2030, 1015, and 780.76, even ignoring that Quick card that isn't at least 2.7-3.0 is shit, even ignoring that Okita's Quick card is about as good as 1.6(read: average) arts without Arts lead, this doesn't work for the same reason NP fill is better than NP gain - it took 2 turn for them to come in play to Arts 1. Throw in the subject of Card Order regarding NP gen and the problem quickly become apparent

Add passive star gen and Buster and Arts now have everything Quick can do, on top of whatever they had before(Buster starter's +50% card type boost and Arts NP gain acceleration, and fluid team chain)

Basically Quick RELIES on Crit to reach their intended power level. Arts and Buster have a solid power already, and got way better with crits. This is why the only Quick servant who ever shine in the history of the game's life have Quick card that is a better arts card(Jack/Okita), and a force of nature who have everything for some reason so he's just Arts and Buster in Quick costume(Kintoki Rider). With Scathach being only ever good because turns out SSR ST with Interlude is busted

And then Arts produced lolguysiproduce35starsonaburstisn'titbalanced so Buster was like "but can we technology more" leading into Cock Wizard

Based on this, its possible to make "perfect quick support". Its just extremely specific. The servant need to have Passive star gen to make up if you want to do non quick chain, defensive utility, and sadly, Divine Words clone to refine their NP timing. And sadly, their NP can't be that overpowered because of this because plz everyone knows how cancer Rapid DIvine Words backed Luminouse Estelle could be(and LE is already a cancer NP)

The release timing is also fucking sad. Theres only 10 Quick servant SSR in the entire damn game. I can bet you i could name 10 Buster SSR without reffering to wiki off how many there are in the game

Edited by JSND Alter Dragon Boner

i honestly think a quick version of mozart would be a good quick budget supporter.

but maybe swap out the NPs effects and toss in a targetable quick buff ala foxes wedding from tamamo does for arts.