Fate/Grand Order General

Caster

My inventory is starting to get full of EXP cards and it'll be better if I start planning on leveling someone in case Musashi doesn't come home please come home, I'll get you to 10/10/10 level 100 in a flash and you'll get 3 mega sized plates of udon a day! but I just can't decide on someone right now so I ask which of these servants is the better investment (there's no favoritism for these guys so it'd be just for gameplay):

Spoiler
  • NP1 Atalanta
  • NP1 Vlad Extra
  • NP1 Marie
  • NP5 Santa Alter
  • NP5 Liz caster
  • NP1 Nitocris
  • NP2 Nursery Rhyme
  • NP1 Fran
  • NP1 Gorgon
  • NP5 Medea

Edited by Alexmender

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

My inventory is starting to get full of EXP cards and it'll be better if I start planning on leveling someone in case Musashi doesn't come home please come home, I'll get you to 10/10/10 level 100 in a flash and you'll get 3 mega sized plates of udon a day! but I just can't decide on someone right now so I ask which of these servants is the better investment (there's no favoritism for these guys so it'd be just for gameplay):

Reveal hidden contents
  • NP1 Atalanta
  • NP1 Vlad Extra
  • NP1 Marie
  • NP5 Santa Alter
  • NP5 Liz caster
  • NP1 Nitocris
  • NP2 Nursery Rhyme
  • NP1 Fran
  • NP1 Gorgon
  • NP5 Medea

Maybe others here will have more insight, but the best I can tell you is to look up unit reviews for those servants (Rabbit Review on Gamefaqs, G&A Reviews on Youtube, FGO gamepress) to better understand the niche these servants fill and what are their strength and weaknesses. Then you'll be able to look at the units you currently have and see which of the units you listed fits your current line-up the best. 

Aside from that, the only units in that list that I have used are Nitocris and Santa Alter, so there the only one I have true experience using. 

Nitocris is amazing for farming nodes filled with bronze and silver mooks since she can reliably proc instant death with her NP and her skill set can allow her to NP two turns in a row with minimal support. 

And I haven't leveled mine, but I did use Santa Alter and she's great for wiping one screen of enemy since it does an absurd amount of damage for an AoE NP, but she can't do it repeatedly since her NP gain is pretty average.

1 hour ago, Alexmender said:

Hide contents
  • NP1 Atalanta
  • NP1 Vlad Extra
  • NP1 Marie
  • NP5 Santa Alter
  • NP5 Liz caster
  • NP1 Nitocris
  • NP2 Nursery Rhyme
  • NP1 Fran
  • NP1 Gorgon
  • NP5 Medea

Im just doing quick review

Atalanta: Her primary niche is her NP is AOE, had decent damage and produces stars. She's being super neat later with Skadi, but for now she's for all intent and purpose Lancelot but Archer with AAQQB deck

Vlad Extra: His skillset is fairly strong in that Protection of Faith into Innocent Monster is a great combo, Mill Tac sucks, but it does makes his NP hits hard. His skillset is boring but works kind basically. His NP is what push him to be very strong due to its Evil Damage bonus. On top of this his cards are very solid(3.0 Quick mainly)

Marie: Her NP gain is a trainwreck. Basically her issue is her 3rd is an extention to her 1st and her 1st is a 7 CD Charm. The fact that her 2nd is essentially PfA(an extremely overpowered skill) doesn't do much. Mediocre anchor since she does so little damage, due to steroidless AOE NP and her NP gain is shit anyway. She later gets an interlude that makes her NP give small crit buff but again, her NP gain is shit so its largely for farming bump.

Santa Alter: her 2 other skills can be neat but ignorable, but she have Mana Burst, and an NP5 on an interlude standard NP. Her NP damage rivals SSR so she can nuke down wave 3 like it was nothing. Very solid farmer in that regards, and arguably only below specialized set ups servant and NP2 Drake. Her value improve slightly because Rider SR doesn't fucking exists

CasLiz: AOE Caster with Mana Burst. Later on we had a lot of better options for that, but she works if you need one. One important thing is she produces stars really well, on average shes arguably the third best of all stargenner just below Quetz Ruler and Saber Lancelot

Rhyme: In theory she have solid skillset and self mod. In practice putting that on Caster means she need an optimized set up to really shine

Fran: The strongest AOE NP in the game but her damage is focused to 1 target. Great for farming

Gorgon: She have one of the best mana burst, and Avenger Passives are fairly amazing in its own rights. But her critical damage booster is tied on 7 turn Guts(this is a common trend). Basically for her to "work" she need shit tons of stars or a star weight CE. After which she become an AOE NP with fantastic damage(one of the strongest AOE NP damage in fact) who fills your NP gauge when she NPs. Kind of like a mini Ozy in that regards

Medea:  Not much to say, she can cleanse debuff, she can instant NP, and her NP deletes buff. She's considered one of, if not the most important R for a reason, since she's amazing in many CQ and pretty game changing in Lost Belt 3 for 2 Boss. Also Assassin boss is a *****. Even with Shuten Caster later on she's still very good

Edited by JSND Alter Dragon Boner

4 hours ago, LuxSpes said:

Maybe others here will have more insight, but the best I can tell you is to look up unit reviews for those servants (Rabbit Review on Gamefaqs, G&A Reviews on Youtube, FGO gamepress)

Of those resources, I can only recommend Rabbit’s Reviews. G&A has more or less become a meme at this point with his advice, and Gampress...is Gamepress.

Anyway @Alexmender

Spoiler

I can’t make a recommendation unless I know what other servants you use. Each servant you have listed fills a niche that is pretty useful, but having multiples won’t help you much. I can still narrow it down to just a few, I hope:

I wouldn’t bother with Marie, Caster Liz, or Gorgon for now. If you’re willing to put in the effort, Atalante, Vlad Extra, and Nursery Rhyme are quite strong.

Santa Alter, Nitocris, and Fran are farming servants. If you need one, raise one. The best of these for general use is going to be Fran, especially if she picks up an NP level or two. She has a higher NP modifier than usual that’s further boosted by an interlude, and she’s a Berserker to boot. Very useful for farming but little else.

Medea is someone to keep in mind for a challenge quest coming in May, but right now she isn’t gonna be of much use.

Hope this helps.

6 hours ago, Alexmender said:

Hide contents
  • NP1 Atalanta
  • NP1 Vlad Extra
  • NP1 Marie
  • NP5 Santa Alter
  • NP5 Liz caster
  • NP1 Nitocris
  • NP2 Nursery Rhyme
  • NP1 Fran
  • NP1 Gorgon
  • NP5 Medea

In all honesty, I would raise either whoever you like more OR the class you actually have issues.

See what you lack on your roster and go from there. The more generalist among those are probably Fran and Nitocris, both are AoE farmers - Fran a 1time deal and Nito can clear 2 waves with some shenanigans

@LuxSpes @JSND Alter Dragon Boner @QKumber @MrSmokestack

Thanks! From my current roster I think Fran offers more because my only other AoE zerker is Kiyohime and she tends to falter a bit when it comes to stuff with higher Hp than hands. 

A few have competition, even if not directly. Atalante (Ishtar/Arjuna for general AoE archer needs/farming high Hp stuff, but I want her more for the NP star bomb and the huge team wide Quick buff), Vlad (Tamalancer, although Vlad's broader NP bonus and being more of a generalist makes him enticing), Medea (Rider Martha, Medea's buff removal is more spammable but in the end both do the same thing and Martha's debuff removal being party wide is what makes me hesitate so much on Medea, not to mention Sanzang is there for bashing assassin's faces). 

For the others I didn't had a good grasp on what they did so I really appreciate the insight. Santa Alter sounds good considering Medusa/Martha are very weak outside of hand/door clearing so I'll probably level her next after I finish with Fran. I'm still on the fence about NR, like she's built to crit but her low Atk is very off putting.

@AlexmenderOof. I saw your message. And from what I remember lurking a while ago and there was mention of you saving up quartz for Musashi. Feels bad man. Did you at least get something out of it? Any SSRs or SRs?

4 hours ago, Alexmender said:

@LuxSpes @JSND Alter Dragon Boner @QKumber @MrSmokestack

Thanks! From my current roster I think Fran offers more because my only other AoE zerker is Kiyohime and she tends to falter a bit when it comes to stuff with higher Hp than hands. 

A few have competition, even if not directly. Atalante (Ishtar/Arjuna for general AoE archer needs/farming high Hp stuff, but I want her more for the NP star bomb and the huge team wide Quick buff), Vlad (Tamalancer, although Vlad's broader NP bonus and being more of a generalist makes him enticing), Medea (Rider Martha, Medea's buff removal is more spammable but in the end both do the same thing and Martha's debuff removal being party wide is what makes me hesitate so much on Medea, not to mention Sanzang is there for bashing assassin's faces). 

For the others I didn't had a good grasp on what they did so I really appreciate the insight. Santa Alter sounds good considering Medusa/Martha are very weak outside of hand/door clearing so I'll probably level her next after I finish with Fran. I'm still on the fence about NR, like she's built to crit but her low Atk is very off putting.

Oh yeah im making one change on my review

Marie actually have refill rivalling Lancelot and Atalanta, which, to say, means she's a possible Skadi partner for some farming set ups. In general you can check this on units by multiplying their base NP gain when attacking x NP hitcount. Skadi partners tend to have around 4.0 or 5.0 total

Medea niche also comes from Assassin classcounter, theres a fight later on in Part 2 in particular where a buff cleansing caster is particularly good

so hows Eirika

14 hours ago, Silverly said:

When are supposed to get a Caster rate up by any chance?

Late March, I think

@AlexmenderI'm not sure if you are already familiar with rabbit, but here are all of their servant reviews starting from the beginning 

If we're talking about reliable reviews on Servants (how did I become a reddit promoter):

1. The earlier ones with author "A" are pretty bad. Unfortunately all of the Servants till KnK event are covered by that person so if you're looking for older Servants you're out of luck.
2. These reviews mostly cover the Servants when they are released. He doesn't revisit his reviews either so some don't really apply anymore because of Interludes, Rank-Up Quests or general gameplay changes.

The Gilgamesh one is worth reading if you're a new player who wants to have an overview of the finer mechanics in FGO.

4 hours ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

so hows Eirika

You know, I think I'm setting shop here.
*displays a sign saying "Black Keys for sale to throw at bullies". *

@redlight Actually, Marie came from that disaster...I also managed to MLB the 4* CE and get like 2 copies of the 5* one but overall it was a salt fest. My last chance is during the second Musashi rotation where I'll get the 20 log in SQ and the two tickets from New Years. I don't expect a lot from that but one never knows...

Thanks for showing me to rabbit's reviews, I don't frequent Gamefaqs a lot because most boards are filled with trolls but his insight is very good. I'll keep it in mind if I get another case of having problems deciding what kind of servant I need to level first. 

@Magus of Memery I've seen quite a few reviews from MMM, but like you said they tend to falter a bit when taking strenghtening quests into account. They're pretty nice for immediate use and for servants that don't really change. 

I'll buy 50

Ishtar's up again, so of course I have to give it another try. 3 Tickets and my leftover 49 Quartz did not grant me an Ishtar, but I did get 2 First Sunrise CEs (+15% Buster, 40% Starting NP Charge). Starry Nights in December of this year is probably better, but it's something.

I'm gonna keep track of how many tries it takes for me to summon Ishtar. This also counts my attempts at summoning her before Babylonia.

Sire's Summoning Ishtar Attempts: 124 (~28 Tickets, ~ 259 Quartz)
I'm probably going to be Quartz-drained in January trying to get Ishtar and King Hassan. February I may try a 10-roll or two for MHX (Alter), but after that I need to start saving Quartz for Ishtar in May. Should that fail, I'm probably screwed since there's plenty of desired Servants coming in the 2nd half of the year.

Watch as I roll Ishtar somehow before her banner expires by doing Interludes and Rank Up Quests.

* * * * * Edit * * * * *

Welp, it's official. I'm gonna have to play the long game and try to save up Quartz. All currently available f2P Quartz (Interludes, Rank Ups, and Free Quests) have been spent. I think Ishtar has been the most draining for me, and it still sorta sucks that I haven't summoned her.

At least there's another chance later in the year. However, I'll likely be running on empty due to King Hassan appearing soon. March and April will likely be the only safe months before May as I would like to try for MHX Alter. Maybe by then fortune will smile upon me and I be able to whale and obtain all the Mapo Tofus. Spend responsibility, folks!

[Updated] Sire's Summoning Ishtar Attempts: 128 (~28 Tickets, ~ 271 Quartz)

Edited by Sire
update thingy

http://www.siliconera.com/2019/01/03/fate-series-writer-kinoko-nasu-talks-about-the-current-state-and-future-of-fate-grand-order/

I find it interesting that he admits that in order to improve the gameplay it's going to require a overhaul of the entire structure. After the Lostbelt is over, I think the game will be in the hands of a different writer, or have a different premise.

Hmm. I wonder if they'll end the game for a sequel and allow your account data to carry over.

I'm curious what the "second" Fate mobile game will be inspired by. FGO was by Chrono Trigger, hence time travel elements

Edited by redlight

I know older games end up requiring to move to a newer engine in order to make more improvements. One can only optimize and improve on so much with outdated tech. I know Path of Exile is planning a massive overhaul that will compete with a "theoretical Diablo 4," which involves reworking all the player character models and all of the equipment. PoE will remain the same (no PoE 2), and is planned to continue updating for years into the future.

If/When an overhaul takes place for FGO, I hope they simply continue the baseline game and transfer everything over. FGO can continue to serve as a service platform, and we get to keep our progress! As for an estimate when this will happen, I'll bet it will be after Part II is over. Should FGO continue, we may get an EoR style "Arc 2.5" to tide players over while major work is done on the overhaul. The character arcs may be finished and the grand adventure concluded, but surely Chaldea continues to exist as an organization and new adventures await. They may not necessarily be on the level of humanity's extinction, but an adventure nonetheless.

However, if they end up changing the core gameplay mechanics or want to adapt a different style, a sequel may be better. Starting all over again is probably going to suck though. I also wonder how a sequel will affect the whales who invested so much into the base game...

In the end I couldn't get Musashi (Saberlot spook almost gave me a heart attack, though). Well, time to move on and save for Melt. 

It's funny, though. In FEH I get pissed when I don't get the unit I want but here I just take it as it comes and wait for the next chance. Guess a pro of having such low rates is that you never expect anything and every single surprise is that much more dear.

2 hours ago, MrSmokestack said:

I recently finished my tier list. Pinging @redlight

This is mainly for JP. Anybody else with input feel free to respond.

Oh. I already saw it earlier today. Anyways, thanks for the explanations. I can somewhat better gauge servant's abilties

3 hours ago, MrSmokestack said:

Reveal hidden contents

Pretty nice stuff, a couple points I have for now:

• I feel you are underselling Lancer Alter. While like you said is an offensive monster, saying that there is no team utility with her is bit of a stretch. Charisma E is not that strong of a buff, but still helps the team. And Protection of World's End can be used to generate critical star when needed to.
  • Thomas Edison is a bit too high for me. While he is an interesting support, his low attack, combined with Concept Improvement A+ being a very techincal skill to use holds him back.
  • Can you separate Mash from her Arc 1 and Lostbelt self? Or at least make a note of it?
  • Jeanne should be lowered to B. While she is very hard to take down, her skill set needs a major update.
  • I'm not sure about Illyasviel being in a in the same tier as Sanzang. It's a difference of high power np that's inconsistent to high attack overall.

32 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:
  • I'm not sure about Illyasviel being in a in the same tier as Sanzang. It's a difference of high power np that's inconsistent to high attack overall.

Illya has an Interlude on JP that adds +20% NP gain to her after the NP, helping her to NP again faster, which helps to make her damage more consistent.  Xuanzang's Strengthening only gave her Def ignore by comparison, which means Illya gained more from her buff than Xuanzang did.

Edited by YotsuMaboroshi

Just now, YotsuMaboroshi said:

Illya has an Interlude on JP that adds +20% NP gain to her after the NP, helping her to NP again faster, which helps to make her damage more consistent.

Didn't knew that. It's hard to look at a tier list that is several years from English FGO. I'm unfamiliar with all of the non English servants, or know what exactly got buffed/nerfed.  

9 hours ago, MrSmokestack said:

Reveal hidden contents

You know, sorting by classes would be good for visibility.

Comments on the SR list:

Spoiler

Stheno
You can move her up to B. While she is purely Support she is really good at it now, covering multiple important niches like buff removal, NP drain and a huge offensive buff. This kit becomes outstanding once you face male Servants where she provides double charm locks. The lack of offensive capabilites isn't that much of a deal if she can be splashed into any teams having Divine Servants.

Medea Lily
Honestly she is not that much better than Irisviel and should even join her at E-Tier. There is simply no need for a Servant that purely heals, especially since she lacks a different form of sustain to protect the team from Crits, Instant Death or NPs. Team-wide Debuff removal is nice but that alone doesn't make her viable and imo I would take the team-wide Guts over it when I really want a "healer".

Ibaraki & Penthesilea
Both have gorilla decks, a way to combat debuffs and good buffs for their party. While Ibaraki's NP has the better effects she has much more trouble to use it because of her inconsistent NP gain. Morph while a good Def buff doesn't make Ibaraki that much more durable compared to her peers by itself and always requires another Def buff to fully offset her Berserker status.
Meanwhile the amazon reliably gets NP gauge on her own and beats up enemies to paste. Penthesilea has nothing for longevity but her consistent use of her NP gives her far better damage potential than Ibaraki can ever boast with the 1-2 turns she stays around longer.
You should probably place both at the same tier. I rather see Ibaraki dropping since A-Tier is loaded and her kit overall is pretty average. Berserker themselves aren't just good enough if they aren't Herc or Cu Alter.

Siegfried
Compared to other 4* Saber I don't see how he stands out besides Anti-Dragon damage to warrant A-Tier placement. His skills are pretty garbage (besides Dragon Slayer) and even with Georgios supporting him he is a one-trick damage dealer. He is entirely selfish and while he potentially has a higher ceiling than the other 4* Sabers his effective scope is very narrow.
Considering the description of B-Tier he seems more suited there.

Saberlot
Not S. *insert doubt meme here*

Atalante
Eh, even taking Skadi in account, she isn't great outside of farming. While she produces excessive amounts of stars her lack of Crit buffs leaves her damage output very much to be desired, both NP and regular card-wise. She should drop a tier.

Hessian Lobo
Loaded skills doesn't have to equal good. Like Lobo's skills aren't bad per se but they aren't outstanding either. Monstrous Strength is a very mediocre damage buff and his 1st skill is hard to take advantage of at the same time. His 3rd skill is very good but that's kinda it.
There is also the thing that he isn't that great at dealing damage. QQAAB isn't the best deck for punching enemies with his big Atk stat and his NP is pretty vanilla.
He is functional for sure but he absolutely doesn't compare to the rest of the S-Tier Servants. He is more A-Tier material.

------

And the world despairs as 2 old Assassins take away their wallets.
Even JP doesn't know how to chill.

Thanks for the input guys. I have a thread on Gfaqs with some traction if you are interesting in following the discussion. Beware of vitriol

Going through these one at a time:

@Jingle Jangle

Spoiler

-Neither Lancer Alter’s B or C skills are “team-oriented”, though. Protection of World’s End is pretty much always going to be used on her burst turns, since it also comes with a massive crit buff. Using it to give stars to allies is not a good idea. And while Charisma is technically a team buff, any buff value below 20% might as well not exist, in terms of overall impact.

-Edison is a weird one, definitely. He’s niche as far as support Casters go, but his ideal comp is quite strong. Completely negating card damage every few turns and supplying crit stars is great, especially in more recent content. Enemies are far more dangerous on non-NP turns now than they were before.

-Rating Ortenaus Mash is definitely something I will do for a future list. I chose not to evaluate her here because she’s guaranteed to exist at 10/10/10 if you leveled OG Mash. If anything, they’d share the EX spot simply because they are the same unit and you can just choose one or the other.

-Jeanne Ruler? I see the argument for it because her NP gain is bad and she doesn’t do much outside of Arts-chaining into NP every few turns. However, the difference between her and Amakusa (who is in B) is that team invuln is much more valuable than enemy buff removal. She in theory is applicable to more situations because she works based on your team. In contrast, Amakusa is completely dependent on the enemy compositon. He’ll either be amazing or mediocre. Jeanne doesn’t change much through many situations.

@Magus of Memery

Spoiler

It’s been suggested that I split the list based on roles (ST / AOE DPS and support) which fits better with my intentions. Class I find is too arbitrary, especially when servants from the same class can do completely different things.

-I agree on Stheno.

-You noted it already, but debuff clear and excellent NP gain (don’t need to pick her cards) put her a step above Iri, for me. Being good at an underutilized niche beats being bad at everything you do. Sure there isn’t much of a reason to bring either, but if I was so inclined to have some healing (like with plugsuit Poster Girl, for example), I’d readily take Lily over Iri, because I know the former is actually good at what they do. Iri is too gimmicky and using her Guts puts the entire party at risk.

-Penth is actually not consistent at using her NP. She’s very frail for a Berserker (most at least have Guts or Dodge) and a stray crit will just blick her out of existence. Golden Rule is up half the time so she needs a lot of babying to leverage her defensive NP gain to fire off Outrage Amazon often. Overall, Penth is a strong servant with a team built around her, but she is not as low-maintenance as the banana.

-I agree on Siegfried, but I’ve been meaning to try him myself (Lv 1 NP2 on JP oof) so I can get a better feel for him.

-I’m not sure if you’re being sarcastic because of JSND or if you disagree with Lancelot not being placed there. In any case I’ll respond: he has no team utility or survivability whatsoever. He crits hard, and often, but that’s all he does. Among Sabers, Yagyu is generally considered better, and when compared to Kuro and Kintoki he lacks NP5 and busted NP gain.

-Atalante is one of the top refund farmers, and for AOE quests she has both the ideal deck for Skadi (QQAAB) and the buffs she needs to loop reliably. Oh yeah, and she craps stars like nobody’s business. Basically a heavy-hitter like Lancelot, but it’s a role she doesn’t have much competition in. Save for freaks like Parvati of course.

-I’ve seen some skepticism for Lobo’s placement so I can see him dropping.

On 1/7/2019 at 11:59 AM, Alexmender said:

In the end I couldn't get Musashi (Saberlot spook almost gave me a heart attack, though). Well, time to move on and save for Melt. 

It's funny, though. In FEH I get pissed when I don't get the unit I want but here I just take it as it comes and wait for the next chance. Guess a pro of having such low rates is that you never expect anything and every single surprise is that much more dear.

My condolences

But man, even Saberlot spook? my revenge hex hits hard

@MrSmokestack

I would pity you but you played yourself. Enjoy your stay in hell. ~

Spoiler

AoE Guts has actual uses against some CQ gimmicks (like Instant Death). Regardless it doesn't warrant a gap of 2 tiers between her and Irisviel.
And honestly the whole healing gimmick doesn't do anything in CQ or anywhere else in the first place so she should drop to E on that reasoning alone.

Stray crits will kill Ibaraki, too, and pretty much every other Berserker that isn't Herc or Cu so that doesn't say much.
Penthesilea's NP gain is consistent. She basically gains 10% NP for free each turn except it's better because it is front-loaded on the first 3 turns. She has by far the best NP gain among the Berserkers because of that skill and let's not forget she even has a (narrow) trait bonus.
Yes, she needs more babysitting but she has a far higher damage ceiling that Ibaraki can ever lay claim to. And quite frankly Ibaraki not requiring babysitting doesn't matter that much if she is just hitting things most of the time (where as others cosplay as Saitama).

I was half kidding.
I give you Chloe but Kintoki also lacks any relevant sustain (Natural Body doesn't do much) and while his internal stats are better his skills are pretty simple as a whole.
Compared to Lancelot who practially guarantees to crit everytime with his cards they come close as damage dealers even with the guaranteed NP5 on Kintoki.
Not to mention you gave Raikou a free pass despite having the same problems as Saberlot so yeaaaaah.