Fate/Grand Order General

Caster

1 hour ago, redlight said:

Nero was annoying to deal with. She hit really hard for some reason in both versions.

While I had a mostly easy time, Nero’s Guts ability was really annoying.

As for an offensive Caster I was thinking of getting CasGil from the free 4 star event. He’s a offense/supporter hybrid isn’t he?

Changing the subject, I’m leveling Passionlip, and damn her skill set is good! And it has great synergy! 

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

As for an offensive Caster I was thinking of getting CasGil from the free 4 star event. He’s a offense/supporter hybrid isn’t he?

Changing the subject, I’m leveling Passionlip, and damn her skill set is good! And it has great synergy! 

He's really more like support who also happens to benefit from his own buffs, but his attack is rather low. And his NP gets a strengthening later tho he really isn't known for damage.

She gets even better. NP interlude and taunt strengthening tho that skill is confusing for me

Edited by redlight

On the Caster dmg dealer thing, how often do we actually need one dedicated caster dps? Most of the time a good berserker can do the job just fine.

Even CasLiz can clear not so big waves. Unless we talk about many big assassins and/or soul eaters, a good ST zerk usually works okay.

My point being, pulling a caster to fill a hole is ok, but don`t go out of your way if you do not really like them I guess

1 hour ago, QKumber said:

On the Caster dmg dealer thing, how often do we actually need one dedicated caster dps? Most of the time a good berserker can do the job just fine.

The problem with Berserkers in my experience is unless their name is Cu Alter or Hercules they tend to evaporate in a blink of an eye. Hell, on a really bad day, my berserkers don’t make it past the first wave thanks to the mobs ganging up on them and/or throwing in a stray crit. They either have to be self sufficient enough (like the ones I mentioned earlier) to not worry about Murphy’s law striking or be heavily babied by other servants. I pretty much go with the former. I was very apprehensive about using berserkers starting out, and still am to a degree, but I fell in love with a friend’s Cu because he was one the few that could actually make it to the end of the fight.

Casters are no juggernauts, but I find their disadvantage a bit overblown. Some of them are geared towards offense but have no business in that role (I’m looking at you Paracelsus and Babbage), but when done correctly I’d take one over a Berserker any day. I tend to prefer hard counters as opposed to a glass cannon that could blow up in my face if RNGsus decides to be a bitch. 

That being said, @Water Mage I wouldn’t recommend Caster Gil if you’re looking for offense. He can deal it, but it’s not entirely his job per se, as others mentioned. In fact, I’d suggest you pick someone that’s storylocked since you can’t pull those ever unless they get a rate up. Some like Nero, Li Shuwen, and Salter get them once in a while, but then theres the likes of Medea lily, Lancer Salter, and Gorgon who almost never get rate ups so it’d be ideal to snatch someone very rare if you want them. Of course, if there’s someone specific in mind that’s a personal favorite regardless of how often they could appear, then by all means pick them. It’s not like SRs grow on trees.

Ibaraki and Nightingale are actually fairly durable team play Berserkers as well (though Nightingale's defenses are weaker against most non-Servant enemies).  CAlter can work well as an anchor or with a team, but Bond 10 Herc is only really a standout as an anchor, and non-Bond 10 Herc isn't really that durable.

1 hour ago, Silverly said:

Casters are no juggernauts, but I find their disadvantage a bit overblown

With this I agree 100%

The problem is not the caster 0,9 multiplier per se, the problem is that GOOD offensive casters are only available on SR+ rarity. Sure, Babbagge and Geronimo can dish some dmg and clear like mid lvl waves but that is about it most of the time.

on a really bad day, my berserkers don’t make it past the first wave thanks to the mobs ganging up on them and/or throwing in a stray crit.

Yeah, been there aswell! It is part of the deal with zergs really.

At least in my exp, you usually create a comp that allows a single unit to shine, so in most berserkers cases you provide them with the means to survive the initial stages OR you simple provide AoE clears and bring the main DD to the final wave.

Playing with zergs do require a different kinda of finesse, assuming you are past the point of pressing red cards blindly and just facerolling the stages :P

The problem with casters is that they have low base Atk on top of the .9 multiplier, having one or the other is simple enough to fix, but having both means that Beserkers will just out damage them versus Assassins in general.

2 * .9 = 1.9, and 1.1 * 1.5 = 1.65, which looks caster favored until you remember Beserkers have tons of base Atk.

(I don't have a problem with Beserkers dying when I'm just rushing through a map because my back line is just more Beserkers. So I actually dislike Cu Alter, since he has 0 offensive buffs---Herc's still great, though.)

That said, the SSR offensive casters pretty much all come with insane NP Gauge skills, which makes them very nice to use even in comparison with SSR Beserkers. But it's hard to find those to use since most people have support casters in the caster slot, so you'd need to pick them up yourself.

Edited by DehNutCase

1 hour ago, DehNutCase said:

The problem with casters is that they have low base Atk on top of the .9 multiplier, having one or the other is simple enough to fix, but having both means that Beserkers will just out damage them versus Assassins in general.

2 * .9 = 1.9, and 1.1 * 1.5 = 1.65, which looks caster favored until you remember Beserkers have tons of base Atk.

(I don't have a problem with Beserkers dying when I'm just rushing through a map because my back line is just more Beserkers. So I actually dislike Cu Alter, since he has 0 offensive buffs---Herc's still great, though.)

That said, the SSR offensive casters pretty much all come with insane NP Gauge skills, which makes them very nice to use even in comparison with SSR Beserkers. But it's hard to find those to use since most people have support casters in the caster slot, so you'd need to pick them up yourself.

2*0.9 is 1.8

*runs in corner

Doesn't help that ST DPS caster is fairly rare so it took CasShu before an accesible one comes into play although shes nice due to her ridiculously high NP damage

1 hour ago, DehNutCase said:

CAlter has a pre-damage, 1 turn Atk buff on his NP, so he does have an offensive buff if he gets an NP Brave chain.  Not so good if you're just relying on card damage over NP though.

Edited by YotsuMaboroshi

37 minutes ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:

CAlter has a pre-damage, 1 turn Atk buff on his NP, so he does have an offensive buff if he gets an NP Brave chain.  Not so good if you're just relying on card damage over NP though.

Main issue with the buff being stapled to his NP is that you don't get to use it reliably---the only reliable part is that his NP hits a little harder, you can't guarantee that he has the cards for the rest of his chain. Hence why I didn't count it as a buff. (It's only marginally better than an NP that gives NP damage up before damage, if we ignore the defense up.)

It's fine if you're using him in the slow-roll team like he wants to be in, but waiting for cards isn't something a Beserker rush team wants to be doing. Cu Alter's good, but he doesn't do what I bring Beserkers to do.

8 hours ago, Silverly said:

That being said, @Water Mage I wouldn’t recommend Caster Gil if you’re looking for offense. He can deal it, but it’s not entirely his job per se, as others mentioned. In fact, I’d suggest you pick someone that’s storylocked since you can’t pull those ever unless they get a rate up. Some like Nero, Li Shuwen, and Salter get them once in a while, but then theres the likes of Medea lily, Lancer Salter, and Gorgon who almost never get rate ups so it’d be ideal to snatch someone very rare if you want them. Of course, if there’s someone specific in mind that’s a personal favorite regardless of how often they could appear, then by all means pick them. It’s not like SRs grow on trees.

Bear in mind that some SR servants especially the story locked ones are not so good or garbage. Sure, if you want to collect characters or like a particular one go right ahead, but some are really not worth that ticket.

@Water MageGuess ill throw in my thoughts on some of the servants mentioned. Nero gets a decent buff in a few years in the form of a 5CD battery and a area trigger arts buff, but she still has a few issues like damage and IP. Nothing that Ozy or Lanling can't cover up though. Very specific that those two, but I strongly recommend saving for Lanling. Top tier SR Saber. Otherwise, would get Nero next year as a free SR as that's a bit before her strengthening, but then you'll have an even bigger competition on who to pick.

Li Shuwen is rather good. Burst damage and a recent NP upgrade in JP.

Salter is rather meh right now in JP. She has high attack as well as her NP doing more damage than the usual buster AoE. You're gonna have to wait and see when they buff her Instinct. Good for farming at least.

Medea lily is cute, but pretty garbo. Still, you can maybe find a place for her in stall teams if you want.

Lancer Salter is pretty decent. A good burst Lancer if you're lacking one. Her star absorb skill is pretty nuts.

Gorgon... She has issues. 1 turn attack buff, crit damage up on a guts (7 CD ?), lack of star absorption especially on the Avenger class as that's bad if you look at her crit skill. Her NP at least gives the part +10 NP charge. Would avoid. If you're looking for an SR Avenger go for Lobo. Monstrous strength is pretty much a fallen behind skill, but that's really the only issue I have with him. Plus that NP interlude in JP

2 hours ago, redlight said:

Bear in mind that some SR servants especially the story locked ones are not so good or garbage. Sure, if you want to collect characters or like a particular one go right ahead, but some are really not worth that ticket.

I wasn’t suggesting the servants I brought up specifically, rather the fact they’re so rare (at least the latter three) should one want them. You want Medea lily? Gotta wait almost two years for the Prisma rerun. Lancer Salter? Aside from the 10 mil download campaign and the Garden of Sinners rate up, she’s nowhere to be seen. Gorgon? After the 9 mil campaign, she’s awol.

That’s also why I omitted Gawain, Tristan, Thomas Edison, and Emiyalter because they all get rate ups fairly often, or at least in comparison to those three in particular. I’m perfectly aware they’re not worldbeaters (I feel Medea lily is underrated by some though that’s neither here nor there), but I feel stressing the fact that how uncommon their rate ups are is necessary for those who potentially want them.

(JP Raid spoilers)

Spoiler

Goddammit Barbatos-kun don't kill the server pls.

And don't lengthen my skill cooldowns and prevent me from using Luvia's Crit skill/NP Battery!

On the bright side though, you're still Barbatos and are therefore still a great way to get mats... which means you killing server was kinda inevitable.

At least it's back up now?

I wasn’t suggesting the servants I brought up specifically, rather the fact they’re so rare (at least the latter three) should one want them. You want Medea lily? Gotta wait almost two years for the Prisma rerun. Lancer Salter? Aside from the 10 mil download campaign and the Garden of Sinners rate up, she’s nowhere to be seen. Gorgon? After the 9 mil campaign, she’s awol.

That’s also why I omitted Gawain, Tristan, Thomas Edison, and Emiyalter because they all get rate ups fairly often, or at least in comparison to those three in particular. I’m perfectly aware they’re not worldbeaters (I feel Medea lily is underrated by some though that’s neither here nor there), but I feel stressing the fact that how uncommon their rate ups are is necessary for those who potentially want them.

I was just offering some insight into the rare servants. That's all. But I understand what you mean. It's like the whole Luke situation

Thanks for advice guys, but I actually already have Li and at max level too! Got him on the Chaldea Boys banner.

My problem with Berserker is that I don’t have a good one! My only SR Berserker is Chacha. I got SSR and SR Servants of almost all classes except Caster and Berserker, though Hans fills the Caster spot nicely most of the time, for Assassin enemies I decided to use Passionlip.

I’m actually thinking of picking either Heracles or Helena for the free 4 Star. Maybe Beowulf, because apparently he gets a really good buff later on.

Good thing we get Mecha Liz later this year, right?

@Water Mage just save for Caster Nero if you need an offensive Caster specifically. She’s much more useful for farming, and for AOE content in general next year.

And for the SR ticket, either make a servant you already own NP2+ or pick a support unit. Caster Gil and Helena are good to have as one-ofs, for Challenge Quests and farming respectively.

Edited by MrSmokestack

Ugh. Spent the last 3 hours doing the Shiki fight. Gonna go and buy some veggie chips. I deserve something after this bullshit?

Grailing BB to 90 already paid off. She managed to outstall 0kp Kiara with the help of Mash, support Tamamo and my 3 Leo CEs it took almost 100 turns tho, now I just need to make a plan for 15kp because stall isn't going to work when Kiara has an actual NP.

Finished 0 KP Kiara in 55 turns. BB MVP.

After that, finished Whip Kiara with only the “No NP Drain” debuff purchased. Took 29 turns. Jeanne Alter and Lv 100 Black Grail coming through.

Finally back to the game. 

Took me a few months since my phone's battery died and had to transfer it to my new tablet. The loading times became even longer than formerly which slows down things quite a bit. 

Unfortunately I have no access to the current event, but oh well. 

At least I pulled two Passionlip in my two summoning circles. She looks really cute and is a new class for me. 

Edited by Rosalina

@Rosalina Welcome back! At least your new device doesn’t crash constantly thanks to the damn event, unlike a certain someone’s...

For anyone who has open space on their friend list, I currently have a good number of inactives that I can cut, so if you’re willing to send a request it’ll be greatly appreciated! My ID is 897,617,159. 

2 hours ago, Rosalina said:

Finally back to the game. 

Took me a few months since my phone's battery died and had to transfer it to my new tablet. The loading times became even longer than formerly which slows down things quite a bit. 

At least I pulled two Passionlip in my two summoning circles. She looks really cute and is a new class for me. 

At least you have another chance in about 1.5 years time. We're also getting summer Ishter, Elimech and Saltera as welfares this year. All of them good SRs. Not top-tier, but definitely good. So you're still getting good welfares at least.

2 hours ago, Silverly said:

For anyone who has open space on their friend list, I currently have a good number of inactives that I can cut, so if you’re willing to send a request it’ll be greatly appreciated! My ID is 897,617,159

Lies, you're capped.

5 hours ago, Rosalina said:

For this event it is required to clear the first story arc. I don't think you're that far into Part 1 judging on your support list and CCC is pretty difficult without properly leveled Servants. Either way I don't think you would have come far.

At least you don't have to worry about story progress for most of the future events this year. May is pretty empty for the most part though I suggest you get your roster leveled till June because you probably want to clear Onigashima for a certain golden boi.

-------

Cleared all the missions, done with the shop (no need for Scales, Shells and Prisms) now it's time to go back farming Dust and Proofs. I will farm EXP next week (if we get it, that is).

Spoiler

This event is essentially a EoR chapter, just disguised as a event. I liked it more than Shinjuku because all of the references to CCC and it captivates the ... unique flair of that game (you know what I mean). I still wouldn't put it over Camelot or Babylonia but it's a solid 3rd place for me.

Difficulty-wise it's pretty hard. Even the normal nodes have enemies that have so much health behind them and it can become a slog if you want to run a full bonus setup (which is obviously not optimized). Thankfully if you have a decent Meltryllis/Passionlip (either your own or Support) this becomes less on an issue as every mob bar the bots are weak against her.
Not to mention the bosses. The Wanted: X Quests are straightforward but both Alter Egos and Suzuka Gozen have gimmicks that can make them pretty challenging. Obviously Kiara offers the greatest challenge between her two forms, especially the whip ver. without using any of the KP items can cost you the victory with the smallest of mistakes.
That being said the BB fights were easy in comparison. You just face some Shadow Servants and both BBs are pushovers. Kinda disappointing for being the "mastermind" of this event.

Small PSA: If you need feathers this event does offer a fairly decent droprate for them in either Weakness Ear or Spinal Coaster. Considering we get the Prisma re-run in 2 years at earliest you might consider farming those for the last 10 days.

Personally I haven't had an issue with the generic farming Nodes.

But then, I also have a level 100 Drake and a Bride Nero, so yeah. (Nero isn't that much worse than Waver for supporting if you're just farming, and Drake is Drake.)

Btw. since we're likely getting Rank-Up Part Sei next week-ish I'm probably going to update my F2P list (after leaving it to rot for 6 months) with these changes.

Spoiler

Euryale A -> S
@MrSmokestack you happy now?
After the long discussion about internals (possibly) carrying Servants I re-evaluated Euryale's placement. Besides being unparalled against males she sports some really good internals for a 3*. With that in mind I think she can join S-tier.

Fuuma Kotaro A -> B
I still think Fuuma's an excellent choice for a low-rarity Assassin and until CA Hassan gets his Strengthening he is the best among them if you need a star generator. Added with his targetable Evade there is much to like but aside from these 2 strengths he is lacking in damage or in a more general support role. Once his NP upgrade drops I will move him up again.

Arash B -> A
1. His NP damage is outright silly. He ties with NP1 Ishtar, a SSR. That should tell you hi
2. What motivated this change for me is the fact that he enables some strategies that you can't get otherwise like triple stacking. The ability to remove oneself from the front row is very useful and with point 1 I think Arash should move up to A.

Boudica C -> B
Her NP strengthening gives her some much needed grit to her purely defensive NP, making her more suitable as a Support Servant. She is still a Rider and that's not preferable at all for her role but it's still more what the majority of C-tier does.

Sanson D -> C
After his NP strengthening I can see some use in him. While his Human trait bonus is worthless, the Evil one can be applied quite often and his NP damage against them is respectable compared to the other Assassins. The added Def debuff is pretty massive, too.
It's a very niche thing and it doesn't compensate his awful internals but the NP is at least something and coupled with his targetable Heal + Debuff cleanse makes him imo not bad enough to warrant D-tier placement anymore.

Edited by Magus of Memery