Fate/Grand Order General

Caster

This is probably a bit of a stupid beginner question, but are Servant levels really important for the main story mode?

I ran into a bit of a problem as I lack the materials for ascensions, so my Servants can’t level up. I just started the London Sigularity and my Servants are are around level 45-50. Should I wait to grind ascension materials or is it okay to move on?

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Water Mage said:

This is probably a bit of a stupid beginner question, but are Servant levels really important for the main story mode?

I ran into a bit of a problem as I lack the materials for ascensions, so my Servants can’t level up. I just started the London Sigularity and my Servants are are around level 45-50. Should I wait to grind ascension materials or is it okay to move on?

depend on how much you are willing to cheese. i can confirm it took LB1 before you need a levelled servant and even then you can CS. LB2 had situations that force a leveled servant, and LB3 is too harsh not to have a semi full team

im not sure about epic of remnants, but they are optional. So you can go to the end of part 1 without worrying about your servant level as a whole

21 minutes ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

depend on how much you are willing to cheese. i can confirm it took LB1 before you need a levelled servant and even then you can CS. LB2 had situations that force a leveled servant, and LB3 is too harsh not to have a semi full team

im not sure about epic of remnants, but they are optional. So you can go to the end of part 1 without worrying about your servant level as a whole

So Lost Belt is when you really need leveled team. So I think I will be fine unitl the last singularity. Camelot might give me trouble though from I what I’ve heard, but by then I’m gonna be hopefully prepared.

7 hours ago, Water Mage said:

So Lost Belt is when you really need leveled team. So I think I will be fine unitl the last singularity. Camelot might give me trouble though from I what I’ve heard, but by then I’m gonna be hopefully prepared.

Like JSND said, EoR is not required for anything except the memorial quests next year.

If Camelot is what you are worried about, all of those fights can be soloed pretty easily. Gawain probably less so, but if you want someone for the other fights feel free to send me a request.

12 hours ago, MrSmokestack said:

Like JSND said, EoR is not required for anything except the memorial quests next year.

If Camelot is what you are worried about, all of those fights can be soloed pretty easily. Gawain probably less so, but if you want someone for the other fights feel free to send me a request.

Thanks! Can I send the request later today?

Also, it really does seem like levels really don’t matter in Part 1. The only issues I’m having is surviving NPs. Feels like every Servant battle is more of a race, as in kill the Servant before they use the NP.

7 hours ago, Water Mage said:

Feels like every Servant battle is more of a race, as in kill the Servant before they use the NP.

Yup that is how most fights work in this game, at least until the end of part1

I`ve heard, and by what I`ve played so far I believe this to be true, but most of the fights CAN be cleared with a well picked support servant + a couple of decent easy to acquire units at lowish lvls - like Mash / David / Georgios to draw aggro and such

But in all honesty, there is NO need to rush through the story at the moment, I would say take your time and try to defeat the monsters by yourself if you enjoy that kind of challenge! Otherwise, Heracles / CuZilla and Altria Archer are probably your best friends :D

The only thing you should make sure of is to unlock all skills on your Servants (aka reach 3rd Ascension). This is the point where they become fully functional and it's definetly better for your mental sanity to do a bit of grinding for the necessary Ascension materials. Most of the 3rd Ascension requirements are a bit more demanding but
The Final Ascension is basically only stats (and the FA art) which isn't that necessary for progressing in the game (until EoR and Part 2 which you are probably far away from).

--------

Shinjuku is ... something.

Spoiler

So first off that Bond bonus is too good to pass up, so instead of my usual approach of using only 3-stars and support in story battles I filled my team with "Evil" Servants, namely Vlad, Saber Alter, Li Shuwen, Medea and Fuuma. Getting almost 4000 bond points for each fight is absolutely divine and Saber even got to max bond.

But people weren't kidding about the difficulty. Screw Lobo, that mutt legimately pisses me off in every encounter. The one with his free Evade costed me my CS usage. To be fair I really didn't use an optimal team (because I want that bond bonus) so that's one thing that probably contributed to my repeated failure. On the other hand Lobo just insta-kills every single time he uses his NP which is infuriating.

Yet once I reached the 2nd Moriarty fight I switched to my premium Arts team of Vlad, Tamamo and Support Waver (Li Shuwen, Medea and Fuuma in the backrow, the latter two for bond farming) just because I kept losing that fight. It's a shame because Tamamo has max. bond so that's a waste of 4000 bond points.

Still I think with EoR FGO picked up the pace gameplay-wise. It's far more interesting now between the break gauges, unique buffs/debuffs and other gimmicks.

About the EoR servants:

Spoiler

All of them feel off to use.

• Moriarty wants to be a team player and have selfish skills that the same time. It's odd  having a skill that requires 10 stars.
  • Lobo is he's decent at everything but not good at anything. The dog want to be offensive but lacks any staying power.
  • Yan Qing wants to control stars, but he's too overly specialized in that area.
  • DEmiya is simple but powerful with his skills.

5 hours ago, QKumber said:

Yup that is how most fights work in this game, at least until the end of part1

I`ve heard, and by what I`ve played so far I believe this to be true, but most of the fights CAN be cleared with a well picked support servant + a couple of decent easy to acquire units at lowish lvls - like Mash / David / Georgios to draw aggro and such

But in all honesty, there is NO need to rush through the story at the moment, I would say take your time and try to defeat the monsters by yourself if you enjoy that kind of challenge! Otherwise, Heracles / CuZilla and Altria Archer are probably your best friends :D

Yeah, I decided not to rush. I’m currently grinding for materials, and damn I wish it could be easier. Trying to get Homunculus Babies, but they just don’t appear, I need 5 but only managed to get 1.

48 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Yeah, I decided not to rush. I’m currently grinding for materials, and damn I wish it could be easier. Trying to get Homunculus Babies, but they just don’t appear, I need 5 but only managed to get 1.

Welcome to the farm simulator :D It is indeed a slow process. Not sure if you are aware but let me share some usefull links with you:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pKRpPdSFjrqygfzIFvn4XhGu0nqsCw82Y5_Y7OsLr1k/edit#gid=0  -> this one with ap drops during events! good for long term plan

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1m-h4CIUOKaJRAmfTAhoDdmwVAzAzyM70cITRb36Y96M/edit#gid=0 -> every material shop and bonus we receive from many events into the future, also good for planning

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_SlTjrVRTgHgfS7sRqx4CeJMqlz687HdSlYqiW-JvQA/htmlview?sle=true# -> this tables show you the best areas to farm in terms of % chance drops and AP/drop.

And Homunculus babies are a pain to get ! Hope you manage to grab 4 more soon :D

Edited by QKumber

@MrSmokestack@Magus of Memery

@QKumber@Water Mage One does not simply claim they have played Fate Grand Order before they experience the exciting and thought provoking experience of Farming Bones during Half AP Free Quest with full AP bar.... levels up and do it again amirite

Eh, mat farming is not for me. The only time I farm for mats in Free Quests is if I really, really want to upgrade a particular Servant and I'm close to doing so. Otherwise I'll just sit back and wait for events.

Still haven't tried out the newfangled EoR yet... Maybe I'll eventually get around to it (and updating the Friend Code list.)

31 minutes ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

@QKumber@Water Mage One does not simply claim they have played Fate Grand Order before they experience the exciting and thought provoking experience of Farming Bones during Half AP Free Quest with full AP bar.... levels up and do it again amirite

This man gets it XD

Then , after you spend thousands and thousands of AP on events and or event nodes for the big stack of items - looking at you christmas, and they disappear in minutes after 1 fucking servants eats 200+ bones

FML this can`t be healthy hahaha

10 hours ago, QKumber said:

Thanks! I was using gamepress, but this guide is way more useful.

And funny story, I got the 4 Homunculus babies...in a single battle. After an entire day of grinding I finally got them and yet it pissed me off for some reason. Why couldn’t it be this easy earlier?!

Guess who finished Shinjuku? This guy, and I loved it! I think Babylon has a firm grip for first, but this easily is my second favorite story with Camelot not too far behind. I actually searched online to see others thoughts (a couple Reddit theads and some various FGO outlets) and for once I’m not alone on this. I know EoR is a mere “commercial break” until we resume with Lostbelt, but I’m impressed with what we got first. Of course there’s only three others, but out of them only Salem really intrigues me. Agartha has you traveling with a really unpleasant character and Shimosa feels... dull. 

Spoiler

I think Moriarty is the first antagonistic character in a while I actually have a shit about. Aside from Orleans Jalter, my opinion on everyone else ranges from “Eh, they served their purpose” (Goetia, Tiamat, Lartoria, Culter) to “FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUU!!” (Jason, Lev). He actually had me fooled, as I thought he’d sort of be the Francis Drake in the story, only perhaps more dorky and mysterious. When Sherlock was killed by “good” Moriarty, I remembered saying “HUUUUUH?!” out loud. Plus his plans actually felt coherent. It’s really a shame that he’s limited and on an otherwise underwhelming rate up, because I’d love to add Pops to my crew.

Also, props to this (pseudo) singularity for actually making me like Salter. Prior to this I never really thought much of her, but she was actually pretty decent here, and her interactions with her dog were quite precious. On top of that, while I’m aware I brought this up before, I just can’t get enough of her Shinjuku look (as with Jalter’s). It’s the shame only the latter is planned get the costume in the future though. Saber needs her shorts!

I think my only complaints is that I didn’t feel the part with Phantom of the Opera did anything of real value, the fact we never learn the names of the detectives that were summoned during the climax was disappointing, and as much as I like Jalter, her showing in the end after it was heavily implied she bit the dust was pretty cliche. Can we have our dead servants remain dead without some Deus ex machina occuring so the loss actually leaves an impact? I’m not going to lie though, Jalter forcing you to dance is pretty adorable

Oh and Smokestack wasn’t kidding when he said the boss battles can be a bitch. I don’t want to fight another Avenger again... at least not until I get BB in a couple months.

3 hours ago, Silverly said:

Hide contents

the fact we never learn the names of the detectives that were summoned during the climax was disappointing

Spoiler

This might be dancing around potential copyright issues, trying to keep them vague to enforce that they aren't heroic spirits, or trying to be clever because they picked obscure references and wanted to see who could identify them.  The only one I recognized was when the detectives all but name-dropped Poirot (they mentioned a proud Belgian and his grey brain cells), but I'm not much of a mystery buff.

Looking them up gives us:

• Father Brown as the Round Faced Priest
  • The Old Man as the String-Fiddling Old Man (he's an unnamed detective written by Baroness Orczy, who was also the author of the Scarlet Pimpernel)
  • Professor Augustus S.F.X. Van Dusen as the Shaggy-Haired Professor
  • Dr. Thorndyke as the Strait-Laced Gentleman

It's neat that they went through the trouble to create story sprites for these four that actually look like the characters being referenced, albeit with shrouded faces.

1 hour ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:
  Reveal hidden contents

This might be dancing around potential copyright issues, trying to keep them vague to enforce that they aren't heroic spirits, or trying to be clever because they picked obscure references and wanted to see who could identify them.  The only one I recognized was when the detectives all but name-dropped Poirot (they mentioned a proud Belgian and his grey brain cells), but I'm not much of a mystery buff.

Looking them up gives us:

• Father Brown as the Round Faced Priest
  • The Old Man as the String-Fiddling Old Man (he's an unnamed detective written by Baroness Orczy, who was also the author of the Scarlet Pimpernel)
  • Professor Augustus S.F.X. Van Dusen as the Shaggy-Haired Professor
  • Dr. Thorndyke as the Strait-Laced Gentleman

It's neat that they went through the trouble to create story sprites for these four that actually look like the characters being referenced, albeit with shrouded faces.

Spoiler

Huh, neat. Looks like I learned something today. Thanks for sharing.

Out of all of those, I’m only vaguely familiar with Father Brown as G.K. Chesterton was someone I had to research for a class a while back. 

On 2/27/2019 at 11:08 PM, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

This is so sad can we get a :pepega:

Maybe I should get some Medal farming done...nah.

@Water Mage What is your ingame name? I got some requests recently but I probably rejected yours by mistake. Sorry about that.

Edited by MrSmokestack

I finished Shinjuku yesterday and it was pretty good, not Babylonia tier but way better than America imo. 

Spoiler

I loved the Moriarty bulli, and because he was the super evil mastermind I didn't felt bad about it one bit.

On that note, screw Lobo! He was a pushover for the first 2 fights and then he started insta killing everyone during the last one, which forced me to use my CS. I really wish I had waited for BB, I'm sure she'd have destroyed that oversized dog. If I weren't using evil servants I would've Euryale'd his ass to the next galaxy.

Yan Qing was...there. Like his gimmick wasn't anything good (he got Atk down like 8 times in a row, lol). 

Phantom was easy to take out as always.

Moriarty though...He starts easy but the extra Break Bar in the final battle certainly made him annoying. Props to Bael for having Invul Pierce on his charge attack, he got me good there. I had to resort to Summer Tamamo for that fight because otherwise I'd be done with all the NP spam those two were doing. 

The sad part was that I used double Chaldea Lunchtime during the whole singularity and even then Salter didn't get bond 6, although she was close. MHXA got up to like Bond 5.5 and she's one of the most recent servants I got so that's good. On that note, MHXA is bad...very bad, her damage at full buffs is barely higher than Ishtar's (and she's AoE!) and because she's a zerker any stray crit will be the end of her despite her high HP, I suppose that's why people say she won't shine until Skadi releases.

7 hours ago, Alexmender said:

I finished Shinjuku yesterday and it was pretty good, not Babylonia tier but way better than America imo. 

Hide contents

I loved the Moriarty bulli, and because he was the super evil mastermind I didn't felt bad about it one bit.

On that note, screw Lobo! He was a pushover for the first 2 fights and then he started insta killing everyone during the last one, which forced me to use my CS. I really wish I had waited for BB, I'm sure she'd have destroyed that oversized dog. If I weren't using evil servants I would've Euryale'd his ass to the next galaxy.

Yan Qing was...there. Like his gimmick wasn't anything good (he got Atk down like 8 times in a row, lol). 

Phantom was easy to take out as always.

Moriarty though...He starts easy but the extra Break Bar in the final battle certainly made him annoying. Props to Bael for having Invul Pierce on his charge attack, he got me good there. I had to resort to Summer Tamamo for that fight because otherwise I'd be done with all the NP spam those two were doing. 

The sad part was that I used double Chaldea Lunchtime during the whole singularity and even then Salter didn't get bond 6, although she was close. MHXA got up to like Bond 5.5 and she's one of the most recent servants I got so that's good. On that note, MHXA is bad...very bad, her damage at full buffs is barely higher than Ishtar's (and she's AoE!) and because she's a zerker any stray crit will be the end of her despite her high HP, I suppose that's why people say she won't shine until Skadi releases.

Yeah MHXA is pretty ooof, and its not because of Skadi in the entirety. Her release form didn't even have the 3 turn Quick buff. Thats around 10.000 less raw damage on her NP to give an idea and due to the current lack of non Alexander Quick buffer, that roughly 30% damage gap.... stays

shes much finer once she had that buff but not enough to escape "Quick is fucking bad" hurdle, and Skadi ascends her to next level pretty much. Its a weirdly simmilar spot to MHX, both being absurdly good with Skadi(yeah MHX is decisively on par with King Hassan, Li, Jack trio)

Edited by JSND Alter Dragon Boner

1 hour ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

Yeah MHXA is pretty ooof, and its not because of Skadi in the entirety. Her release form didn't even have the 3 turn Quick buff. Thats around 10.000 less raw damage on her NP to give an idea and due to the current lack of non Alexander Quick buffer, that roughly 30% damage gap.... stays

Atalante and Helena still exist.  Sure, they might not be very good at it, but they are non Alexander Quick buffs.  Though prior to break bars, I'd have said Crossing Arcadia is probably better than Omen of the Conqueror, since single turn burst was more impactful.

Scathach's Mana Burst is also targetable. (Which is deceptively relevant---a lot of her damage comes from her non-Quick cards since the 2 in her deck are so shit. Even her fucking crit stars comes more from her Busters than her Quicks.)

Scathach + MHX is actually a good pair, since Scathach buffs MHX's NP damage and MHX gives her stars, but here we run into the whole Jack the Ripper exists problem.

It gets better once MHX gets her strengthening, though. The fact that her Invul is her instinct and Scathach's Dodge is her crit skills means that you're going to be pressing them both on the enemy NP turn, giving you a nice turn of burst damage---a lot of dodges are actually designed that way, trying to encourage you to load up all your damage at the same turn the AI is releasing theirs.

Add that to the fact that MHX smacks Sabers around and it's a pretty neat pairing.

Edit: Ah wait, we're talking about MHXA---personally I like her a lot. She has good crit star & NP generation. So you're mostly just waiting for a hand with 2 peoples' cards and then using her third to beserker crit people for 3 million damage. Being made of toilet paper sucks ass for her, though.

I'm a big fan of crit based Beserkers in general, though. Any team that can run JAlter can probably run them without problems, and they tend to have better star absorb than JAlter.

Edited by DehNutCase

I had stomach flu for the last couple of days and it was not a nice time. Since all I did was lay around in bed I saw it as a good opportunity to finish FGO's campaign, or at least the first part. Right now at around the second half of Solomon's temple. Huge thanks to everyone on my friends list, who have helped me reach this point. I couldn't have done it without your money

On 02/03/2019 at 8:43 PM, MrSmokestack said:

This is so sad can we get a :pepega:

Maybe I should get some Medal farming done...nah.

@Water Mage What is your ingame name? I got some requests recently but I probably rejected yours by mistake. Sorry about that.

My ingame name is Luiz, and I actually haven’t sent my request yet. My ID is 638,254,040.

Also I’m at Sector 13 of the North American singularity, and is it just me or are the bosses in this area eaiser than the ones in London? I mean I expect Chulainn Alter to be a tough boss, but the rest has been somewhat easier. Well most of the bosses are Servants known to be really weak such as Fionn, Diarmuid and Fergus. Other than the various Chulainns and Scathachs, it seems that most Celtic Servants are weak? I heard Medb is one of the worst 5 star Servants. Maybe the North America area being easier is to be expected.

Edited by Water Mage

4 hours ago, Water Mage said:

My ingame name is Luiz, and I actually haven’t sent my request yet. My ID is 638,254,040.

Also I’m at Sector 13 of the North American singularity, and is it just me or are the bosses in this area eaiser than the ones in London? I mean I expect Chulainn Alter to be a tough boss, but the rest has been somewhat easier. Well most of the bosses are Servants known to be really weak such as Fionn, Diarmuid and Fergus. Other than the various Chulainns and Scathachs, it seems that most Celtic Servants are weak? I heard Medb is one of the worst 5 star Servants. Maybe the North America area being easier is to be expected.

On the contrary, Fergus is solid, Diarmuid is a bit underrated

Fionn on the other hand got a ridiculous level of EMIYA treatment going from meh into fine after CVY buff into uber golden god of destruction after his last buff. Hes basically the Parvati of Arts in that if not for his rarity and in this case slightly lower numbers he might as well be the best arts servant to ever exists. Hes so good that long term wise, hes without a doubt the best unit on the first SR ticket pool besides CasGil and Herc

I can tell you Fionn become my most used unit in JP at NP1 and its not purely because of favoritism. Such is 2019 

Edited by JSND Alter Dragon Boner