Fate/Grand Order General

Caster

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:
  • Nice, I got Medea on my free pull today.
  • What am I suppose to do with craft essence duplicates?
  • Medea+Emiya should be sufficient for your team uses. Just swap Marie in there when you need a rider.
  • Depends. The 1-2* CEs are often used as fodder or just sold.

fuck that one miniboss ghost.

So i brought medea to fight dantes, thinking he'd spam his buffs.

Turns out it was sort of a waste of a slot.

But I brought a grailed friend list Herc, which almost allowed me to kill Dantes in combination with Lu Bu+Vlad+Tamamo.I got absolutely fucked once his NP came up and I didn't have any command spells left. Had to use one sq.

the story's nice tho, but 

Spoiler

can someone explain to me why DW decided to try and make a jack of all trades in the avenger class.

Edited by Czarpy

38 minutes ago, Zeratul said:

1-turn Arts buff alongside 1* stats really doesn't hold up. Pre-Strengthening Mozart is pretty bad actually and even with his Strengthening he is more or less a 1-shot Support.

I think you’re forgetting what the alternative options were in the original question if we are deciding against Mozart, and other than Hans and Medea they are not that much better.

He works well with Plugsuit and if you really hate his 1* stats for some reason you can throw a taunt CE his way and watch him get instagibbed after dropping his buffs. Is Arash bad too because he can only do one thing?

37 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:
  • Nice, I got Medea on my free pull today.
  • What am I suppose to do with craft essence duplicates?

-Medea is your only choice for a single-target Caster so I would level her right away. Her NP removes buffs and she can use it right away if her first skill is at least Lv. 4.

-You can merge duplicates by going to Enhance —> Craft Essence and selecting the CE you want to merge. Any identical CEs will have the text “LIMIT BREAKTHROUGH” and selecting them will increase the merge level of the target CE, up to +4. Check the CEs effect before and after MAX Limit Break by using the Fate/Grand Order Wiki first, though. Some CEs benefit from MLB while others do not. I’d advise against merging Imaginary Elements for example unless you are literally swimming in them, since the base effect is very useful and many servants want to use it.

EDIT: There is also CE bombing to get more exp for less QP with your 1*-2* CEs from the FP gacha, but you don’t need to worry about that yet.

Day 7 was pretty bloody. The boss spammed invincible and got some cheap crit kills but it fell to the CASCO meme team regardless.

I tried solo’ing Dante with Leonidas, and other than one funny turn where he took straight 0’s from the boss the rest of the battle did not go very well. I switched to a full Arts meme with Vlad / Tamamo / Shielder with double Berserker and Nero in the back as a contingency. I could have been smarter with my cooldowns but UMU still clutched it for me.

Edited by MrSmokestack

whoo America is gonna release on the 15th.

I'm gonna use tickets to try for  Rama/Nightengale/Cu Alter.

Billy looks like he's fun to play. I have everything I need for a crit team with bryn/jack/hans and the Teacher and I CE.

Spoiler

and a lot of bishounens in this chapter for @eclipse

Medea is imo one of those servant who doesnt truly function until shes at least NP3 and cleared Interlude. After which she prob becomes crazy good

But theres literally no other option for her caster dps role than using the do it all option of just use Cu Alter/Herc

Beat day 7 with Heracles and Irish Heracles backline respectively after the frontline leaves a huge mess. Asterios meme stalled Dantes long enough before Cu steps in on his PfA OP glory

Edited by JSND Alter Dragon Boner

welp

I heard the america chapters are the place to raise a servants bond exp, so I know what I'm gonna be doing.

More SQ and apples. Most of my gold rarity servants are almost at bond lvl 6. I'm expecting a windfall of sq in a week or so, right before the jalter banner.

Hmn, I'm thinking of pumping exp into an assassin. Stheno, Jekyll, Jing Ke, or Kojirou? I'm just going to get one of them to FA sometime as I accumulate cards for that class. (I've already got a lot of good assassins.

I'm happy for America releasing because it has a node with better gear drop rates than London.  Also probably going to throw some tickets at Mebd when she comes for rate up, despite not really needing any more Riders.

I need to have a few more goes at Dantes.  I almost had him one time, but was about 10k short of the kill.  Fiddling with my team a bit should get me the kill.

2 hours ago, Czarpy said:
  Hide contents

can someone explain to me why DW decided to try and make a jack of all trades in the avenger class.

Avenger isn't jack of all trades, as most Avengers have poor defensives.  They do hit everything except Berserker and Ruler for neutral, but conversely that means they have little defensive bonus from their class.  The class is more or less a Berserker that loses the effective damage on everything in exchange for not taking effective damage from everything.

Of course, just like a Berserker, this makes it a pain to fight against as a boss, since bosses have considerably higher HP than PCs.

3 minutes ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:

I'm happy for America releasing because it has a node with better gear drop rates than London.  Also probably going to throw some tickets at Mebd when she comes for rate up, despite not really needing any more Riders.

I need to have a few more goes at Dantes.  I almost had him one time, but was about 10k short of the kill.  Fiddling with my team a bit should get me the kill.

Avenger isn't jack of all trades, as most Avengers have poor defensives.  They do hit everything except Berserker and Ruler for neutral, but conversely that means they have little defensive bonus from their class.  The class is more or less a Berserker that loses the effective damage on everything in exchange for not taking effective damage from everything.

Of course, just like a Berserker, this makes it a pain to fight against as a boss, since bosses have considerably higher HP than PCs.

is medb any good tho?
I'm gonna toss all my tickets at either Helena, Karna, Rama, Li Shuwen, or the America berserkers when the banners pop up.  (Li Shuwen would be amazing with all my arts team members.)

it just feels like Jalter's the only really good avenger. I've heard the rest kinda rely on shit like crit stars.

28 minutes ago, Czarpy said:

is medb any good tho?
I'm gonna toss all my tickets at either Helena, Karna, Rama, Li Shuwen, or the America berserkers when the banners pop up.  (Li Shuwen would be amazing with all my arts team members.)

it just feels like Jalter's the only really good avenger. I've heard the rest kinda rely on shit like crit stars.

So does Jalter. Also Jalter arrives with MLC CE which makes supplying her stars way easier

Theres a reason i always promoted Jalter as "basically Artoria with stnp"

Lobo is actually pretty great and the real issue on most avenger is their base NP gen is balanced around avenger traits. Jalter is the only one iirc that completely avoids it having one of the best extra card in the game and standard 3:2 Q:A NP gain. 

Medb was a bland servant whose only advantage is stnp ssr. She would be much better when her strengthening makes her Charisma a 40% atk buff to male

39 minutes ago, Czarpy said:

is medb any good tho?

Medb's not particularly good, but I generally only roll for servants I like, not for gameplay.  Just because I'm aware of the meta doesn't mean I adhere to it.  I'm not planning to roll more than a few tickets on Jalter's banner, if that, simply because I don't care for her as a character.  I rolled for and got Dantes because he's cool.

As far as Avengers go, while you aren't wrong as Jalter is the one that fits the meta best, "jack-of-all-trades" means "able to do a bit of everything" not "bad".  As Avengers have poor defensives overall, they are glass cannons like Berserkers, not jack-of-all-trades.  Jalter is good because she goes all-in for the cannon: ST Buster NP, an QAABB deck, a high level Self Modification to compensate for Avenger's low star weight, high attack boosted by Avenger's 1.1x multiplier, Charisma and Mana Burst with Invincibility (Edit:  and decent NP gain, as JSND mentioned).  She still needs stars to feed that Self Mod, and with having her invincibility tied to her mana burst means you have to choose whether to use it defensively or offensively.

Edited by YotsuMaboroshi

16 hours ago, Czarpy said:

he can always use Boudicca as an arts team member

Hey, I'll have you know that I used Boudica as part of my main story team all the way up through Babylon.  She and Mash together were the stall masters.  Taking 0 damage all the time is great.

10 hours ago, MrSmokestack said:

I think you’re forgetting what the alternative options were in the original question if we are deciding against Mozart, and other than Hans and Medea they are not that much better.

He works well with Plugsuit and if you really hate his 1* stats for some reason you can throw a taunt CE his way and watch him get instagibbed after dropping his buffs. Is Arash bad too because he can only do one thing?

*says Taunt CE*
What Taunt CEs are you talking about? You mean those "oh so loathsome* Event-exclusive Craft Essences you like to curse to death?

Also comparing Arash with Mozart is fallacy. For one, Arash's thing is far more impactful than Mozart. He can kill stuff or deal at least reasonable damage. Plus he immediately sacks himself which doesn't clogg your deck with a 1*. Mozart is huge deadweight after using his skills and while it is mitigated somewhat by his triple Arts deck and Plugsuit it is still a noticeable flaw.

The correct answer should have been "Wait for Hans". That's it. The alternatives are also trash, Babbage being the worst offender. Caster Cu can at least deal with Assassins reasonably enough with PfA but it's not optimal either.
There is no excuse not to roll on FP summoning until he pops out (though he needs to be NP5 to "reliable") and that's not too hard. Though now that Medea is an option this falls flat on the nose anyway since she is more or less what he needs for now.

9 minutes ago, Zeratul said:

*says Taunt CE*
What Taunt CEs are you talking about? You mean those "oh so loathsome* Event-exclusive Craft Essences you like to curse to death?

Also comparing Arash with Mozart is fallacy. For one, Arash's thing is far more impactful than Mozart. He can kill stuff or deal at least reasonable damage. Plus he immediately sacks himself which doesn't clogg your deck with a 1*. Mozart is huge deadweight after using his skills and while it is mitigated somewhat by his triple Arts deck and Plugsuit it is still a noticeable flaw.

The correct answer should have been "Wait for Hans". That's it. The alternatives are also trash, Babbage being the worst offender. Caster Cu can at least deal with Assassins reasonably enough with PfA but it's not optimal either.
There is no excuse not to roll on FP summoning until he pops out (though he needs to be NP5 to "reliable") and that's not too hard. Though now that Medea is an option this falls flat on the nose anyway since she is more or less what he needs for now.

Isnt Medusa CE the only Taunt CE in the game

1 hour ago, Zeratul said:

*says Taunt CE*

I probably at some point used rich text to exaggerate my “disgust” towards event-exclusive CEs but in reality I have nothing against them. I just don’t like their limited availability...and availability is not something we take into account here because we have to assume the unit or CE being rated is actually being used.

Also comparing Arash with Mozart is fallacy. For one, Arash's thing is far more impactful than Mozart.

Subjective. They both have one-shot niches.

When you use Arash, it’s typically his job to clear the first wave and an hero for the rest of the quest. When you use Mozart, it’s to set up a damage turn with an Arts NP in hopes of killing the boss. His 1* stats aren’t deadweight if the quest is over on the turn he drops his buff for the NP, since it is a strong buff.

Mozart is huge deadweight after using his skills and while it is mitigated somewhat by his triple Arts deck and Plugsuit it is still a noticeable flaw.

I never said this wasn’t a flaw.

The correct answer should have been "Wait for Hans". That's it.

I prefer provisional answers, which happened to be the original response I made to the question: Mozart until Hans comes along. Any investment he makes into Mozart now isn’t wasted since you can never have too many support casters, anyway.

Mozart / EMIYA / Mash fits into the two support + one carry which is one of my preferred comps to use, but I acknowledge there are other ways to build teams.

Though now that Medea is an option this falls flat on the nose anyway since she is more or less what he needs for now.

Not really. Mozart buffs Medea but Medea doesn’t support anyone other than herself until her strengthen comes out. Her damage output is also thoroughly mediocre until she gets some NP levels and the interlude buff.

45 minutes ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

Isnt Medusa CE the only Taunt CE in the game

There are four:

-Outrage from Chaldea Boys Collection 2017

-Halloween Arrangement from Singing Pumpkin

-Grand New Year from Happy New Year 2016/2018

-GUDAGUDA Poster Girl from GUDAGUDA Honnoji

I think getting at least one is pretty reasonable since two of them are 4* CEs. I wish I rolled harder for Poster Girl though and got spooked by Okita instead

ooh yay almost got kid gil to FA.

this should be useful.

Paracelsus is kinda underwhelming, but I wanna see how useful that multi turn arts buff can be.   

7 hours ago, The Geek said:

Hey, I'll have you know that I used Boudica as part of my main story team all the way up through Babylon.  She and Mash together were the stall masters.  Taking 0 damage all the time is great.

Mashu/Jeanne/Boudica sounds like a real stone wall of a stall team.

probably gets fucked horribly by Amakusa tho.

(I'm probably gonna raise her for the quartz from the SQ.)

5 hours ago, MrSmokestack said:

Subjective. They both have one-shot niches.

When you use Arash, it’s typically his job to clear the first wave and an hero for the rest of the quest. When you use Mozart, it’s to set up a damage turn with an Arts NP in hopes of killing the boss. His 1* stats aren’t deadweight if the quest is over on the turn he drops his buff for the NP, since it is a strong buff.

How is that subjective?
Arash's niche is useable in any composition. Mozart is only useful for Arts teams and even then his niche has a small scope of usefulness. They are literally incomporable in use.
Pre-buff Mozart is held back by the fact that you can just deploy any other Servant with half-decent stats or NP which will probably offer better results. It's his 3rd skill in conjuction with the Arts buff that he becomes absurd.

Mozart / EMIYA / Mash fits into the two support + one carry which is one of my preferred comps to use, but I acknowledge there are other ways to build teams.

... that's a terrible comp for the earlygame, you know that right?
Emiya's UBW is still Buster. The only thing Mozart does is to give him more punch for his Arts Brave Chain, that's it. Otherwise you only use it for Arts chains and using it in any with Mash's NP is a literal waste of damage. Mash herself is more than enough for earlygame support, Emiya and, say, Kid Gil will give him more consistent damage while being able to perform Arts chain fairly often.
If he is in Orleans no Caster is good, not even Medea.

Not really. Mozart buffs Medea but Medea doesn’t support anyone other than herself until her strengthen comes out. Her damage output is also thoroughly mediocre until she gets some NP levels and the interlude buff.

He's at the start of the game. Why should he actually care about that?
Medea is far more self-sufficient than him and can handle early Assassin waves by herself. This is what he should look out for, at least for now. Not to mention unlike any of his other options bar Mozart she is the best bet for long-term use.

Most of your points are imo not really useful for his level. He can't build up great setups yet and the earlygame is nearly dictated by class advantage alone in which case
If I read his question earlier I would have recommended Caster Cu because he is at least quite self-sufficient and can be dropped after the earlygame.

... Not to mention he can test the waters for himself in Orleans.

---

Thanks for nothing, DW. Where is the Karna banner?
*flips table*

are they seriously putting up another fucking london servant banner?

I want Mo-san, but this ain't the way to get me to roll on it.

Helena looks like a fun support caster. I might roll for her or Li shu wen if I feel lucky enough. Otherwise it's back to the jalter stash and getting bond level quartz.

hector is fun to use for the current dailies. I kinda wish he had a sort of combined attack buff+np damage buff like drake has. oh well, that might make him more unbalanced.

Edited by Czarpy

5 minutes ago, Czarpy said:

Helena looks like a fun support caster. I might roll for her or Li shu wen if I feel lucky enough. Otherwise it's back to the jalter stash and getting bond level quartz.

I current have 65 quarts, 4,305 friend points, and a summon ticket. Waiting to  use them.

Just now, Jingle Jangle said:

I current have 65 quarts, 4,305 friend points, and a summon ticket. Waiting to  use them.

I'd suggest blowing the friend points right now so you have more team options. The da vinci event will make up for the FP stash that'd be handy for the fate/zero event.

besides, the FP gacha is the only way for you to get copies of Dragon's Meridian, the best of the cheapass 3* standard CEs. At mlb, it gives a 50% full np bar.

2 hours ago, Zeratul said:

... that's a terrible comp for the earlygame, you know that right?

Who said that the team I mentioned is the only one he can use? It was just an example. Obviously you will counterclass depending on the node if your units are low-leveled.

If he is in Orleans no Caster is good, not even Medea.

Counter-class.

He's at the start of the game. Why should he actually care about that?
Medea is far more self-sufficient than him and can handle early Assassin waves by herself. This is what he should look out for, at least for now. Not to mention unlike any of his other options bar Mozart she is the best bet for long-term use.

C O U N T E R C L A S S

Most of your points are imo not really useful for his level. He can't build up great setups yet and the earlygame is nearly dictated by class advantage alone in which case
If I read his question earlier I would have recommended Caster Cu because he is at least quite self-sufficient and can be dropped after the earlygame.

I'm giving advice for the long-term because he won't be in earlygame forever, and most of F/GO takes place in the context of having units max ascended for grinding the same few event nodes to grab rewards. Once your team is high level enough and you have a variety of options to choose from, you can start experimenting with different comps because story nodes are not hard enough that they need to be counter-classed when your roster is level 70+ units.

I can easily refute any point you make if you're argument is dictated by counter-classing because the answer for a good team in that case is always going to be "whatever the enemies are weak to". Not a very insightful answer nor one that even needs outside help to figure out.

Also, the discussion is moving way beyond what the original question intended:

Who should I use out of these three units?

-Babbage

-Caster Cu

-Mozart

8 hours ago, MrSmokestack said:

Mozart until Hans comes along

Since you didn't quote this part of my post I assume you do not have an issue with it; and if you do not, I consider the matter closed.

... Not to mention he can test the waters for himself in Orleans.

I'm sorry for giving my opinion on what he should do. He is free to follow it if he agrees with it or ignore it if he doesn't.

• I complete the Orlean portion of the game, so many dragons Thanks @Czarpy for your assassins. 
  • Edgy Jeanne was enjoyable, I looking forward to  hopefully) pull for her.
  • I Ascended Medea how she can spam Rule Breaker three time a  match, it's crazy.
  • Next up, Rome and Nero Claudius.