Canon pairs/Ships?

Why exactly is this a heavily debated topic and what are the general pairings that most people can agree on being canon? It seems to me that  only "canon" pairing would be Chrom and Sumia simply because Sumia is first on the game's checklist for who to marry Chrom to if he is not married at the end of Chapter 11.

Awakening doesn't really have canon pairings, at least in the sense of "this will always happen unless you kill them" like Marth/Caeda or Alm/Celica.  

Chrom/Sumia is the only thing that comes close.

Just now, Glaceon Sage said:

Awakening doesn't really have canon pairings, at least in the sense of "this will always happen unless you kill them" like Marth/Caeda or Alm/Celica.  

Chrom/Sumia is the only thing that comes close.

That was Always my though, I have just seen people post stuff like "this will make people debate about canon pairs even more" and other stuff like that, so I just wanted to know what people thought. It's probably based off of which supports people favor the most, at least that's what I think it is.

Whilst there aren't really cannon pairings there are supports which grow faster between two units, e.g. Lissa and Vaike, Ricken and Panne etc..., which gives implied canon pairings if you want to look at it that way.

You can find fastest growing supports here: https://serenesforest.net/awakening/characters/supports/support-growth/. That's probably the closest you'll come to canon pairings though.

Just now, Bandit said:

Whilst there aren't really cannon pairings there are supports which grow faster between two units, e.g. Lissa and Vaike, Ricken and Panne etc..., which gives implied canon pairings if you want to look at it that way.

You can find fastest growing supports here: https://serenesforest.net/awakening/characters/supports/support-growth/. That's probably the closest you'll come to canon pairings though.

Huh, didn't know different supports took longer to grow. I always thought that C levels needed X amount of points and so on. 

Canon parings in Awakening are always an iffy subject.  Yeah, Chrom x Sumia is probably the closest thing to canon, but other people will have different answers for that.  Plus, people like to argue that their pairing is better or more canon than others no matter which Fire Emblem game you play.

Just now, MediocreLee said:

Canon parings in Awakening are always an iffy subject.  Yeah, Chrom x Sumia is probably the closest thing to canon, but other people will have different answers for that.  Plus, people like to argue that their pairing is better or more canon than others no matter which Fire Emblem game you play.

Well I kinda expected that to be a heavily debated subject in nearly any FE game with support options. I honestly don't really care about canon pairings, I was just curious about why exactly it's so debated and what most other people consider canon.

Personally I theorize that Chrom/Sumia was meant to be a fixed pairing at some point in development (because Chrom has to marry so Lucina will be born), but they were given other options after the developers realized that Chrom would have rabid fangirls some people would want to pair them with other characters. This would explain why Sumia appears in the intro, why she has her own cutscene, why she has some relevancy even after her recruitment for no apparent reason, and why she and Chrom have limited romantic options. Given these facts, if this theory is true it was likely changed late into development.

But that aside there are no actual canon pairings.

I agree with Chrom x Sumia.

Any other pairing does not look nowhere close to their level of "canon". In the end, no pairing is explicitly said to be canon like in let's say FE5. Probably even less than some possible canon pairings in FE6.

I guess people also like to pair characters that come together like Ricken and Maribelle. I usually do that...

Although there are no canon pairings, there are hints that convey a "hint" of truth to every conversation. For me, the most notorious one was:

Spoiler

In the Lon'qu  (yea, fite me) x Lissa:  Lon'qu protected Lissa from some archers lurking the area. Owen and Lon'qu fought other archers in a conversation support. 

In the Lore, everybody knows that Lon'qu died from an arrow (in the knee).

Spoiler

This spoiler creates by itself. I'm clearly powerless against this flux.

8 minutes ago, Lon'Kill said:

Although there are no canon pairings, there are hints that convey a "hint" of truth to every conversation. For me, the most notorious one was:

Reveal hidden contents

In the Lon'qu  (yea, fite me) x Lissa:  Lon'qu protected Lissa from some archers lurking the area. Owen and Lon'qu fought other archers in a conversation support. 

In the Lore, everybody knows that Lon'qu died from an arrow (in the knee).

Reveal hidden contents

This spoiler creates by itself. I'm clearly powerless against this flux.

Well that certainly helps to make a case.

so from what I can tell, it pretty much up to your own personal head canon.

On 6/27/2017 at 4:39 PM, Lightchao42 said:

Personally I theorize that Chrom/Sumia was meant to be a fixed pairing at some point in development (because Chrom has to marry so Lucina will be born), but they were given other options after the developers realized that Chrom would have rabid fangirls some people would want to pair them with other characters. This would explain why Sumia appears in the intro, why she has her own cutscene, why she has some relevancy even after her recruitment for no apparent reason, and why she and Chrom have limited romantic options. Given these facts, if this theory is true it was likely changed late into development.

I'd actually argue that it was Olivia if that was the case. She requires no actual supports, and the entire meeting could be similar to Sigurd's romantic interest. 

On 6/27/2017 at 4:39 PM, Lightchao42 said:

I...actually probably would have preferred that. The theory seems probable considering the evidence too.

• 1 year later...

Honestly, the only pairing that seems close to canon IS in fact Chrom x Sumia, BUT I also believe that it's just a reference to Marth x Caeda. Remember Awakening was meant to be the last game in the series, so there's a lot of things that seem like references. For example, Cordelia is a reference to Catria, the two being pegasus knights AND the fact that Cordelia has a crush on Chrom but will never marry him, just like Catria. Chrom is the lord of the game and in fact is related to Marth by blood, while Sumia and Caeda are both peg. knights, have crushes on their lords in their respective games, AND since Caeda marries Marth, which is the reason Sumia x Chrom is so pushed. But that's just my opinion. Anyway see you all later.