What Pokemon game should I start with?

badatfireemblem

So I'm thinking about playing Pokemon again since I had Yellow when I was younger and it's still something I'm interested in. 

Can anyone recommend where to start now? I'm not exactly the best gamer (and life gets in the way) so I'd like something easy to start with.

Hmmmm, id actually start off with X&Y, they are the easiest games in the series in my opinion, include latest changes to the type chart, are fun, have a wide variety of Pokémon, etc...

just watch your levels, the exp share change in this game can make you quite overleveled.

what systems do you have, as his would influence what games you can play?

Edited by DisobeyedCargo

7 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Hmmmm, id actually start off with X&Y, they are the easiest games in the series in my opinion, include latest changes to the type chart, are fun, have a wide variety of Pokémon, etc...

just watch your levels, the exp share change in this game can make you quite overleveled.

what systems do you have, as his would influence what games you can play?

Possibly my brother has one so I'll try and borrow it next time I see him. 

Pokemon games are only on handheld right? I've got a GBC, DS Lite and New 3DS.

Just now, Natalie said:

Possibly my brother has one so I'll try and borrow it next time I see him. 

Pokemon games are only on handheld right? I've got a GBC, DS Lite and New 3DS.

Main series is pretty much exclusive to handheld with the exception to the title being developed for the Nintendo switch. 

There are new games coming in November (I think), with Ultra S&M (phwoar), so perhaps you might want to buy in at a cheaper price and then get the new games if your interest holds.

Since you say life tends to get in the way of gaming, then I suggest getting something in the 3rd gen. FireRed/LeafGreen or Emerald in particular. I think these titles don't bog you down with too many features or cutscences like the newer games do. I might also be tempted to throw Platinum from the 4th gen into the list, though that is one of the more challenging games in the series.

The main Pokemon series is handheld only right now.

While I will always recommend HeartGold or SoulSilver, I do have to say that the newer Pokemon games are probably better to start with after not playing for a long time.  I'd go with either Sun/Moon (I'm biased as I really enjoyed these ones) or ORAS.  X/Y are playable too, but I wasn't a huge fan of the region overall.

Unless you want a solid story, Black/White is where it's at.

Ultimately, I'd recommend watching some gameplay or footage of the game to really gauge what you want.

Edited by MediocreLee

4 minutes ago, MediocreLee said:

While I will always recommend HeartGold or SoulSilver, I do have to say that the newer Pokemon games are probably better to start with after not playing for a long time.  I'd go with either Sun/Moon (I'm biased as I really enjoyed these ones) or ORAS.  X/Y are playable too, but I wasn't a huge fan of the region overall.

Unless you want a solid story, Black/White is where it's at.

Ultimately, I'd recommend watching some gameplay or footage of the game to really gauge what you want.

I'm hardpressed to recommend the gen 5 games (black and white and their sequels) to a new comer, as to me at least, they seem to be the hardest other maybe the glitchfest that is red/blue.

ORAS is a really good one to start off with though. I feel it does have an overall better charm than X and Y IMHO. 

Just now, DisobeyedCargo said:

I'm hardpressed to recommend the gen 5 games (black and white and their sequels) to a new comer, as to me at least, they seem to be the hardest other maybe the glitchfest that is red/blue.

ORAS is a really good one to start off with though. I feel it does have an overall better charm than X and Y IMHO. 

Oh for sure Gen 5 isn't the easiest to start off with.  I didn't have much of an issue in terms of difficult, but I can't quite explain why I feel Black/White isn't a good starting point.  There's just something about it that can turn people off.

But ORAS had more charm for me.  As much as I enjoyed a lot of Gen 6 Pokemon, the region and lackluster story kinda took a dive for me.

3 minutes ago, MediocreLee said:

Oh for sure Gen 5 isn't the easiest to start off with.  I didn't have much of an issue in terms of difficult, but I can't quite explain why I feel Black/White isn't a good starting point.  There's just something about it that can turn people off.

But ORAS had more charm for me.  As much as I enjoyed a lot of Gen 6 Pokemon, the region and lackluster story kinda took a dive for me.

There's the fact that black2's champion has a focus sash haxorus, but salty opinions about my nuzlocke run aside, gen 5 battles tend to be very fast paced and hard to keep track of. 

But yeah, ORAS or X&Y are probably the best for a newcomer, their both pretty begginer friendly 

Edited by DisobeyedCargo

No pokemon game is hard. They're designed to be acessible for 6 year olds, she will be fine if she decides to start with Black/White, all of them are beginner friendly, without any exception.

i'd recommend Sun/Moon, just because it's the newest one, but you can't go wrong with any of them, seriously.

Edited by Nobody

Sun/Moon is the newest one, so it's easily accessible. It's also compatible with Yellow if you use the Virtual Console with your 3DS. Also, there's a new game coming out in November, which Sun/Moon will be compatible with.

As far as difficulty goes, I'd recommend against Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum because they have a lot of things that make them tougher than the rest of the series. It's worth playing them after you've gotten used to the new mechanics, though.

Black 2/White 2 also have multiple difficulty levels and can pose a good challenge on the highest one, but you'll need two copies of the games for that.

The 3DS games in general are easier than most of the other ones, in my opinion, so if you're worried about difficulty, go for one of those.

2 hours ago, Nobody said:

No pokemon game is hard. They're designed to be acessible for 6 year olds, she will be fine if she decides to start with Black/White, all of them are beginner friendly, without any exception.

i'd recommend Sun/Moon, just because it's the newest one, but you can't go wrong with any of them, seriously.

I just kinda meant that ORAS and X&Y are  more beginner friendly IMO than black&white 2. None of them are difficult, but some of them are more tuned towards beginners. I should have clarified that, my apologies. @Natalie, they are all pretty easy, but I still go with the 3DS games purly for accessibly.

2 hours ago, Nobody said:

Pokémon Colosseum and Gales of Darkness would like to have a word with you.

Edited by Nym

2 minutes ago, Nym said:

Pokémon Colosseum and Gales of Darkness would like to have a word with you.

I think he was talking about main series, which we all assumed Natalie was talking about. Main series is generally pretty easy.

(And pokemon colloseum fisher pika cup round two would like to speak to you, THAT DAMN ALAKAZAM!).

I would recommend Sun/Moon.  The stories from a game to the next don't matter much, and you can always go back, if you want to, but this way, you'll be up to speed with the series.

23 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

I think he was talking about main series, which we all assumed Natalie was talking about. Main series is generally pretty easy.

(And pokemon colloseum fisher pika cup round two would like to speak to you, THAT DAMN ALAKAZAM!).

Never understood why the gamecube games are considered spin-off and not main series.

Yes they were made by another company, yes they were different but so is Sun and Moon.

Spin-off are thing like Mystery dungeon, Pinball, Ranger, Conquest

3 minutes ago, Nym said:

Never understood why the gamecube games are considered spin-off and not main series.

Yes they were made by another company, yes they were different but so is Sun and Moon.

Spin-off are thing like Mystery dungeon, Pinball, Ranger, Conquest

That's why, gamefreak makes the main series games. That's why the switch title will be main series and not spin off.

Thanks for all the advice. 

11 hours ago, MediocreLee said:

11 hours ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

But yeah, ORAS or X&Y are probably the best for a newcomer, their both pretty begginer friendly 

I'll probably start with Y as I can easily get hold of one, and then move on to Sun/Moon.

I forgot to mention that I actually own Gold which I picked up awhile ago. Would I be better playing Heart Gold/Soul Silver than the original?

Edited by Natalie

10 minutes ago, Natalie said:

I forgot to mention that I actually own Gold which I picked up awhile ago. Would I be better playing Heart Gold/Soul Silver than the original?

I would say yes, as HGSS has more content and more modern game mechanics, but Gold (and Silver and Crystal) is still a great game on its own. Play whichever you want.

I'd recommend HGSS more than the originals, but that's just because seeing your partner follow you around is so damned cute

EDIT: Also the spritework for Johto/Kanto Pokemon are way better than how they're shown in DPPt

Edited by Pixelman

21 minutes ago, Natalie said:

If you want more modern Pokemon stuffs and Pokemon themselves as well as more content, then yeah definitely.  Plus everyone loves the Pokemon following you thing.  I literally walked/ran everywhere just because of that.

However, OG Gold and Silver still hold up, for me at least since it's my favorite Gen.  I would highly recommend playing Gold.

Edited by MediocreLee

1 minute ago, MediocreLee said:

If you want more modern Pokemon stuffs and Pokemon themselves as well as more content, then yeah definitely.

However, OG Gold and Silver still hold up, for me at least since it's my favorite Gen.  I would highly recommend playing Gold.

Modern doesn't really matter to me - I'm still playing Zelda and Mario games on my GBC.

X&Y, Sun/Moon and Gold it is then.

1 hour ago, Natalie said:

Modern doesn't really matter to me - I'm still playing Zelda and Mario games on my GBC.

X&Y, Sun/Moon and Gold it is then.

Gold and silver are actually coming out on the virtual console, so they are way easier to get a hold of. I have played crystal, and I do say that while it's not up to date, it still holds up very well and is a great game