What kind of characters do you wish to see in the next Fire Emblem title for the Switch?

When it comes to Fire Emblem, a lot of emphasis is put on the unique characters and who they are. What do you wish to see?

Personally, I want to see a lot of different characters of different builds. Just cause you are short, tall and lanky, or even chubby doesn't mean you can't fight with the best of them!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the starting mage may need some variation. Its normally either a kid or a teenager.

Instead the new mage could be an old man who just started picking up magic, an old knight who's body is failing him and thus started to pick up magic in order to remain useful. 

I think Subaki was a bit of a missed chance for a male Pegasus rider. He looked somewhat feminine but not nearly enough. The next Pegasus knights should be a male like Lucius who is so pretty and feminine that even the Pegasus is confused and allows him to ride on its back because even he thinks its a girl. 

a lord who's not a teen would be nice. In fact I want the lord to wield something other than a sword. Even magic or staves are acceptable. 

I'm not gonna talk about lords and villains 'cuz we already have topics for those.  So instead, I'll just talk about supporting characters.

What I want for them is a mix of Oboro and Gray.  Not personality-wise, nu-uh.  What I mean is that they have a character arc that's relevant to who they are like Oboro does and actually have a presence in the story like Gray does.  And not just, like, 1% of the supporting cast; I want everyone to feel relevant and have reasons for fighting.

As for personalities, I would like for them to surprise me.  Or, you know, at least not have their entire personality be based on just one gimmick or trope.  And if we could get someone like Sonya or Tethys to take on a fairly major role (like Frederick, Jeigan, or the Fates royals), it would help redeem the missteps of a certain cow-like woman.

Design-wise, whatever the hell fits the theme of the game works for me.  I don't care if they're cavemen or all live in a nudist society, just don't make anyone an unfitting addition.  If they wanna do fat or lanky characters, that's fine, too.  All we see in these games are either average, busty, t h i c c thighs, or muscular, so more body diversity is nice.

A diverse cast as far as age, race, etc. I missed having older characters in Awakening since there's always been some in your party and it adds more variety. It's been cool having more and more "not-European" characters too, in all the 3DS games. It's also cool to see them attempt more obvious LGBT characters, and while they haven't all been hits it's something they should keep doing imo.

I really hope they give us a male soldier/ halberdier type character. I love Ephraim, Neph, and Oboro and I wouldn't mind another female lancer, but if I had to choose just one I think another guy is due for. Similarly keep the traditionally gender locked classes open, ie more male peg knights and female fighters.

Personality wise, I just hope there's very minimal player/MC worshipping going on, and no characters based on misguided gimmicks like Peri.

Damn, the shade is real in this thread. No way I could keep up.

First one I want is a Jagen. No specific wants in terms of personality, gameplay, or appearance, but they had better be old. Just have all pre-promotes be notably older. Promotion in this universe isn't just a measure of skill, but life experience.

Oh, and have an archer that's either competitive with the main lord or skeptical of their motivations and abilities. Make them know each other before the events of the game so we can get hints of how this relationship came about.

Final request: Have pegasus riders and cavs give their mounts affectionate names that are mentioned in supports and other dialogue. It feels like only wyvern riders have real bonds with their mounts, even though the lore touts this otherworldly connection a rider needs with her pegasi. Plus there's only one named horse in this entire franchise - Sophie's horse Avel from Fates. Don't these characters train with their mounts for years? Give us a taste of the frustration during those long days of practice, or that time they had to nurse their horse to health after an injury. The way mounts are presented without comment in Fire Emblem gives you the impression that they're just rental cars. 

Mix up the archetypes a little. Have the Navarre and the Julian be brothers. Make both the Cain and Abel females. Give us a male Minerva. Stuff like that.

9 minutes ago, Corrobin said:

Mix up the archetypes a little. Have the Navarre and the Julian be brothers. Make both the Cain and Abel females. Give us a male Minerva. Stuff like that.

Seconded. I really like that idea. 

6 hours ago, Tuvy said:

Can we get more female mercenaries. Preferably more like Maris than Severa.

Marisa is easily one of the worst characters in SS though, she's just a pretty swordswoman who only knows how to fight and is absolutely incompetent at everything else and who melts down when she sees they guy she likes in front of her (It also doesn't help that she is a foil to Tethys, who is a far more interesting character), in comparison, even Severa is better, because while yes, Severa's entire concept as a character is one which you would find in a bad romcom Anime, she still has far more going for her in term than Marisa does.

EDIT: Now i realize you were talking about the character from FE12 (Which i haven't played), sorry.

Edited by OakTree

4 hours ago, OakTree said:

Marisa is easily one of the worst characters in SS though, she's just a pretty swordswoman who only knows how to fight and is absolutely incompetent at everything else and who melts down when she sees they guy she likes in front of her (It also doesn't help that she is a foil to Tethys, who is a far more interesting character), in comparison, even Severa is better, because while yes, Severa's entire concept as a character is one which you would find in a bad romcom Anime, she still has far more going for her in term than Marisa does.

I think they were referring to Malice (translated name is Maris) who is a mercenary in the Archanea Saga and Awakening Spotpass.

23 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

As for personalities, I would like for them to surprise me.  Or, you know, at least not have their entire personality be based on just one gimmick or trope.  And if we could get someone like Sonya or Tethys to take on a fairly major role (like Frederick, Jeigan, or the Fates royals), it would help redeem the missteps of a certain cow-like woman.

To this day I'm still confused as to why Tethys was in the intro video for Sacred Stones. It makes you think she would've had a larger story presence than she did. It's a shame, because she was a really interesting character. I do agree with your sentiment though; Tethys is a "sexy" character (although mature is more like it), but she has a lot of depth as well.

I would like to see a jester. He seems like a doofus at first who's being kept around because he's funny, but he's actually one of the most trusted retainers of a major character and a skilled agent. He could be a refresher unit, with the option to reclass to Thief.

Also, I want a male Manakete who's not an old geezer. Corrin doesn't count.

I keep saying this but, we need more sickly characters like Rhys, but do more with it.

I don't think we've had a playable older lady before, maybe as a healer or something? Just think, she could be a genuine mama bear.

I want something like Mark, only that he appears as a fully fleshed out character, design and personality. Maybe one chapter, he gets attacked, and you need to protect him or something. Basically, a non-combatant Robin.

I like the idea of a female Cain-Abel duo.

8 hours ago, Night Zap said:

Also, I want a male Manakete who's not an old geezer. Corrin doesn't count.

Shota Manakete?

5 hours ago, Lautsuu said:

I don't think we've had a playable older lady before, maybe as a healer or something? Just think, she could be a genuine mama bear.

Canas's Mother, Niime is playable in FE6 and she's really old (not to mention really good too). Super wise in the lore of ancient magic (better known as dark magic) which is shown in her various supports.

Edited by Jedi

Characters with more than one character trait. 

For real, though, I want a new Bard. And like, the classic version of a Bard, not the Elphin/Nils version. One that travels around gaining intel, and is competent in wind magic/light magic(And possibly enjoys booze and women), but doesn't wear the typical mage get-up. 

57 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Canas's Mother, Niime is playable in FE6 and she's really old (not to mention really good too). Super wise in the lore of ancient magic (better known as dark magic) which is shown in her various supports.

I...did not know that. I really need to watch a let's play of Binding Blade.

Still, there's always room for more old ladies, right?

32 minutes ago, Lautsuu said:

I...did not know that. I really need to watch a let's play of Binding Blade.

Still, there's always room for more old ladies, right?

Of course, I just had to tell you theres been at least one! 

Take advantage of the system and go beyond portraits exchanging dialogue to enable a character who is mute to communicate through body language.

But if they won't do that I'd settle for any kind of disability (eyepatches that are there for cool-factor don't count).

Edited by Irysa