Monopoly Gamer w/ Mario

MediocreLee

So Hasbro and Nintendo revealed a new take on a classic board game of Monopoly.  This one has Mario characters with unique abilities and Mario items to deal mayhem to your enemies friends.  The classic monopoly elements of buying, dealing, and trading properties are retained as well.  Characters in the game are Mario, Peach, Donkey Kong, and Yoshi.  There's boss battles that can ultimately make or break the winner of the game.

I'm a big fan of board games and I think this looks really fun and is a faster paced and more fun way of playing monopoly.  I normally don't like monopoly, but this version looks really fun.  There's a collector's edition that's only available at GameStop that has Bowser as a playable character.  And they also have figure packs that'll be on sale that have one character in them that can be added into the game.  These characters are Toad, Luigi (who should've been in the base game am I right?), Rosalina, Tanooki Mario, Fire Flower Mario, Wario, Diddy Kong, and Boo.

EDIT: The collector's edition is available now at GameStop!

I haven't seen anything of a release date yet though unfortunately..

Edited by MediocreLee

1 hour ago, MediocreLee said:

I never got to play the Pokemon monopoly game...but that sounds awesome.  Wouldn't be surprising if that's the inspiration for the abilities for this game.

Yeah heres some examples 

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Monopoly:_Pokémon_Kanto_Edition#Power_Cards

These are based on the newer one, but in the Older one I had you had to roll doubles

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Monopoly:_Pokémon_Edition_(1999)#Pok.C3.A9mon_Power_Doubles

Edited by Jedi

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

That's pretty cool.  Anything to spice up monopoly is always great since I've never always been a big fan of it.

Oh and to anyone that is interested, the collector's edition is available at GameStops now. =]

This sounds cool, uh, but... If I'm reading this right, doesn't that make this effectively a board game with day one DLC and pre-order exclusive content.

That kinda unnerves me, man. Is this common? Nobody ever wants to play board games with me so I don't follow them much, but this is new to me.

This actually looks really interesting and a change from the usual themed monopoly games. I have a Zelda one which is fun but it's exactly the same game as normal monopoly.

4 hours ago, MediocreLee said:

These characters are Toad, Luigi (who should've been in the base game am I right?), Rosalina, Tanooki Mario, Fire Flower Mario, Wario, Diddy Kong, and Boo.

Where is my girl Daisy?

1 hour ago, Iridium said:

This sounds cool, uh, but... If I'm reading this right, doesn't that make this effectively a board game with day one DLC and pre-order exclusive content.

That kinda unnerves me, man. Is this common? Nobody ever wants to play board games with me so I don't follow them much, but this is new to me.

Yeah, I think this is kind of unusual for standard board games, but I guess you just don't buy the extra characters if you don't want to. It doesn't really seem to add much to the game.

Edited by Natalie

1 hour ago, Iridium said:

It's common for board games to have expansions which is basically DLC.  Day one expansions normally aren't a thing, but it's not too bad as I've seen way worse.  Most of the time, expansions add more to the game, either enhancing the experience or changing a lot of the aspects of board games.  Even character expansions, like these ones, tend to actually change up the game quite a bit so it makes the game different each time you play.  Usually, strategy is a big part of almost any board game, even if there is more luck going into it.  However, just like DLC, they're not mandatory.

25 minutes ago, Natalie said:

This actually looks really interesting and a change from the usual themed monopoly games. I have a Zelda one which is fun but it's exactly the same game as normal monopoly.

Where is my girl Daisy?

Yeah, I think this is kind of unusual for standard board games, but I guess you just don't buy the extra characters if you don't want to. It doesn't really seem to add much to the game.

I like it mostly because it does break the monotony of normal Monopoly.  There's only so many times you can play regular Monopoly.

But seriously though...where is Daisy?

I already have the standard Nintendo Monopoly with non-Mario Ninty characters, though it isn't distinct like this new pure Mario one is in rules and such. Regardless, this looks good and its nice they're going deeper than a facelift this time- hope it does well.

I got my hands on the Collector's Edition today and I can say all of the components do look and feel really nice.  The coins in the Collector's edition are plastic instead of cardboard and Bowser is playable and such.  Replacing Bowser in the boss deck is Bowser Jr.  I also got the figure backs of Rosalina, Boo, Diddy Kong, Wario, Luigi, and Toad and they all look good and a couple of them seem to have some devastating unique skills.  I'll most likely be playing this with my gaming group this weekend, will post back on how the game goes. xP

Oh boy, a Mario spin-off with even more RNG than usual.
I can't wait to play one of the worst board games of all time, but with Mario, which somehow makes it better.
Sarcasm aside, I have to wonder what Nintendo characters are doing in Monopoly, the embodiment of pure boredom and anti-fun.
(I'll admit, this version does look slightly less crap than standard Monopoly.)