What route should the cipher characters be on?

I'm planning on buying the Cipher Companions, probably sometime tomorrow. On this save file, I just finished the map in the desert with all the archers. I had so much trouble with the map I just let Boey AND Mae bite the dust, until I can "revive" both of them. My original plan was to have Shade and Yuzu on Alm's route (since I didn't make Faye and Tobin a cleric and mage respectively this time), and Emma and Randal on Celica's, but I see that things might have to change. So... what is your suggestion?

Edited by Larverto

Hm…difficult. Normally I'd say Alm wants mages, but in this instance…have you used the Pitchforks yet? If not, you can change Faye/Kliff/Tobin to be a magic user for that side and still give Yuzu and Shade to Celica(I recommend not making Gray anything but a Dread Fighter however as his Resistance sucks even for that game). On the other hand, you are going to be able to get at least one of Boey or Mae back at some point, while at this point Alm only has Silque if I'm remembering right, so there are pros for both sides getting Yuzu and Shade. Another option is you can dump all four on the same side because they all get bonuses from each other even if they can't all do Support Conversations with one another.

I'd probably go ahead and give Alm the magicks, but if you're feeling like Celica needs them more then that will work just fine too.

I think there's benefits to sending either pair with either character.

Celica faces more Terrors and has a lot of nasty terrain maps, which means that you can never have too many Falcon Knights. Emma's more than welcome with her.
But then, so is Shade, since she gets Seraphim as well as Rescue, which Celica's team can really use, since it gives them another much-needed mobility option.

On the flipside, Alm only gets one fixed Pegasus Knight, plus another potential one in Faye, normally, so Emma would help with class diversity there. Alm's route also has more Archers, though, and that plus its comparative lack of Terrors means Emma might have a rougher time going with him. Not directly related to Emma herself, but her Trainee's Lance teaches the Solo Triangle Attack art, which costs 5 HP and executes three consecutive physical attacks when used, making it a great fit for your favorite Knight-line character or other slow Lance-user.

Shade, meanwhile, is another healer and magic user, which is helpful in any map. Her Physic spell is a nice complement to Alm's large number of mounted allies, and Seraphim's a pretty potent damaging spell even against non-Terrors. Alm also gets less magic-users by default, although he actually gets one more Cleric-line character than Celica (two if you make Faye a Cleric), so she'd actually surprisingly be more redundant there than on Celica's route in terms of her specific class.

Randal's just a really solid Paladin slanted a bit more towards offense than defense. He'll perform great on either route; Celica's only has one Paladin normally, so he'd help with class balance there, but Alm's maps are generally more conducive to Cavalier-line characters, which would definitely help Randal's performance there, too.

Yuzu's in a bit of a weird spot. She's a gimmicky glass cannon Priestess who only learns Sagittae aside from the default Fire and Recover, and who's seemingly meant to be used primarily as a physical unit, which doesn't really work super well due to how Echoes' mechanics regarding physical versus magical attack power are set up. I guess she could really go with either Lord just as well. I've heard a Mage Ring goes really well on her, but there are honestly probably better candidates for it who can do everything she can and more, magically. Still, if you really like her, it's definitely something to keep in mind. It seems like her main thing would be blasting enemies from afar with Sagittae, which is cool, but nothing Gray, Kliff, Luthier, Faye, Boey, Atlas, or even Nomah couldn't do just as well. Not to say that she's bad, she just doesn't really bring anything all that unique to the table.

Generally speaking, the Cipher characters' personal weapons aren't the best equipment options for them, nor are they the best wielders for those weapons, so it's also important to consider who you might want to have use those weapons when you're deciding who to send where.

Edited by Topaz Light

Shade and Yuzu go to Celica without question. While Alm side has access to two Warps, which means having two Rescues (Cleric Faye and Shade) can make for some really dumb strats, Celica is in desperate need of any form of movement White Magic to circumvent the terrible terrain. That and a second source of Physic healing helps take the heat off of poor Genny. Yuzu herself does not add anything meaningful to either side, honestly, though her Warrior's Sword is actually not bad, and isn't Prf locked, so Celica side's plethora of sword units can benefit from it. If you want, you can Villager's Fork Yuzu into another Pegasus Knight so that you can have three good Falcons alongside Palla and Catria, if you didn't already do so with Mae. Though four wouldn't hurt maybe, since the less you have to deal with sand and swamp the better.

Emma and Randal are a bit of a toss-up. Alm side doesn't really have that much use for another high Res low Atk Peg, other than maybe tanking Cantors and ferrying the Ridersbane around, while her damage bonus against Terrors obviously makes her shine better on Celica side. Randal is good on either side, but Alm side is kinder towards Cavs, and his growths are so good that he can become a second Mathilda to make things go even faster. Personally, I'd just toss them to Celica side as well, since I feel like Celica side has a larger share of mediocre units that becomes even more problematic on runs with more limited EXP, while Alm side's core elites can do most of the work just fine already.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy