Old tempest thread, plz delet

V-raptor

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just thought of something.

The final floor usually has a cavalier unit in the upper right corner. Since you can only encounter any given unit once during a Tempest run, this brings up an interesting situation:

If the game runs out of cavalier spawns during a run before reaching the 7th floor, is a random unit rolled in its place, or is the space that they would have occupied just left empty?

Excluding GHB / Mathilda / Clive / Spring Xander, the game has at most 20 cavalier spawns to work with. Since every floor except the last one spawns four units by default, theoretically the game could run out of cavalier spawns as early as the 5th floor.

Has anyone ever seen something like this happen before? What are your thoughts on this?

1 minute ago, MrSmokestack said:

The final floor usually has a cavalier unit in the upper right corner. Since you can only encounter any given unit once during a Tempest run, this brings up an interesting situation:

If the game runs out of cavalier spawns during a run before reaching the 7th floor, is a random unit rolled in its place, or is the space that they would have occupied just left empty?

Excluding GHB / Mathilda / Clive / Spring Xander, the game has at most 20 cavalier spawns to work with. Since every floor except the last one spawns four units by default, theoretically the game could run out of cavalier spawns as early as the 5th floor.

Has anyone ever seen something like this happen before? What are your thoughts on this?

My thinking is that they randomly roll for the last maps units first, since they always fit a unit type: Celica, Cavalier, 2 ranged infantry, 1 melee infantry.  They then randomly roll the rest of the maps units.  That way, they always have the necessary units for the last map.  In last Tempest, there was always a Mage Cavalry, and there's only 4 of them, not counting Ursula, and I don't think they ever used her.

12 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

I concur with @Rezzy. You can use the same logic for Celica: "If Celica gets rolled in a previous map, would she appear in the final map?"

Since that case is clearly not possible given the sheer lack of anecdotal evidence relative to the expected probability, we can conclude that Celica is simply removed from the spawn pool at the start.

Chances are that since the final map spawns have a fixed unit type, those are removed from the pool as well after they are selected.

Adding to this, the previous Tempest Trials had an armor in one of the spawn slots for the final map, and those have a much, much higher chance of running out over the course of 6 maps.

40,000 points!

Dobby is free!

Now, I can finally finish all the other quest in the agenda... And probably keep doing some trials to lv up Leon and my other Oboro, also some HM

1 hour ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

You can do it!!!!!!!! I believe! I'm sitting at around 102k right now which puts me in the top 3k. (Last time I checked, I think I was about 2500?) Getting over 100k points may very well get you into the top 5k.

I'm at 96K now, so I should hit 100K tomorrow.  After that, I might try running different units.  Reinhardt, Boey, Alm, and Azura have worked so well that I don't want to switch them, even though they're all HM maxed now.

9 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I'm at 96K now, so I should hit 100K tomorrow.  After that, I might try running different units.  Reinhardt, Boey, Alm, and Azura have worked so well that I don't want to switch them, even though they're all HM maxed now.

I know, right? It's kind of hard to force yourself to use another team, especially when one works so well. If anything, this Tempest made me realize how much I rely on the same units, so I'm going to try to branch out. I never realized that I don't really have many melee sword units trained up. I need to change that.

@Rezzy @Ice Dragon When you put it that way, it makes much more sense. With so many people running Tempest so many times you'd think that you would end up with a fringe scenario like this one at some point, but it hasn't happened. I hadn't thought of looking at it backwards, though. That was a good take on it.

The more you know~

For better or worse, I'm going back to doing TT runs since I've done CC up to Ch. 9. I'm hoping to squeeze out some more orbs before it ends, but since I stopped at 40k a few days ago I'll have to redouble my efforts. I'm at 60k now.

4 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

For better or worse, I'm going back to doing TT runs since I've done CC up to Ch. 9. I'm hoping to squeeze out some more orbs before it ends, but since I stopped at 40k a few days ago I'll have to redouble my efforts. I'm at 60k now.

I'm a bit the reverse.  I've barely touched the CC's, since Tempest has been eating all my Stamina.  The daily rewards for Tempest have been a nice touch though.  I hope they do it for all the future ones.

11 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

I know, right? It's kind of hard to force yourself to use another team, especially when one works so well. If anything, this Tempest made me realize how much I rely on the same units, so I'm going to try to branch out. I never realized that I don't really have many melee sword units trained up. I need to change that.

I've got some nice units, but it can be tough to get good synergy going.  I've got plenty of units that I've trained to 40, but don't have any SI on.

I'm lucky that I had a 5* bonus unit this time.  Last Tempest, I only had 4*s.

9 hours ago, Soul~! said:

That's so funny.

That's why.

You put that amazingly into words, this time around. Like, you can see how this can get extremely tedious having to go at it many, many times. Ironically, when you try to rush it, it ends up costing you to the point you're working triple to cuadruple the amount. Me, for example? I made 12k in each of these two last days. I'm making that out of 100-200 runs, and even somewhat ragequitting in the earlier stages if one of my peeps happens to day.

Definitely not hitting 100k. But at this rate, I may have a shot for the 90. At the very least, 80. Currently at 59k.

Faye? 1RKO??? DENTAL PLAN!?!?

I find that the right unit can completely change the dynamic of your runs. (Eg. Glass cannon nukes, supereme walls that can counter kill, etc.) so who knows if things change for you in the future.

As for Faye? Brave Bow, Death Blow 2, Luna, Poison Strike 3, Hone Speed 1. She ORKO's 90% of the magic units, some physical and it expands if she procs Luna. Anything she doesn't kill can be finished off thanks to PS3. She's not as ridiculous on offense as Bride Cordelia, but she puts in work and most things can't ORKO her due to her high HP and bulk. Thought she would weigh the team down but she's proven invaluable and can kill quite a few things Nino can't. Including Celica.

Edited by Zeo

2 hours ago, Soul~! said:

I don't see her "bulk". She's basically Ryoma-level minus the Res.

And there you go. Most of the mages, archers, and dagger users encountered in the Tempest Trials don't have the Atk to actually kill her in a single round of combat, and if they do, it's usually by only a few points, nothing S Spur Def 1 or S Fortify Res 1 can't fix.

Faye's defensive stats, coincidentally, can be best compared to Fae's. Faye has 42/26/31 to Fae's 46/25/30, which means it takes 68 physical or 73 magical damage to one-hit kill her or 47 physical or 52 magical damage to two-hit kill her. Even being double attacked by nearly everything, that's enough to tank quite a few things.

You can even run a Weaponbreaker instead of Poison Strike (honestly, Poison Strike is more useful for a Firesweep Bow build) to gain an absolute advantage against that weapon type because absolutely nothing in the Tempest Trials does enough damage to one-hit kill her from full health outside of a Brave weapon or a special skill activation.

5 hours ago, MrSmokestack said:

I've cleared lunatic chain challenges up until P7&8 combined and the whole Ch. 9&10 and Ch. 10&11 things. I value my sanity a tiny bit more than 20 orbs.

Unrelated to topic: how do you properly pluralise contractions like “Ch.” in English? “P” would make sense to simply double into “PP” (and I’m sure I’ve seen this with pp. for pages) but what acout, e. g., “Ch.” for chapter? “Chs.”? @Ice Dragon

35 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Unrelated to topic: how do you properly pluralise contractions like “Ch.” in English? “P” would make sense to simply double into “PP” (and I’m sure I’ve seen this with pp. for pages) but what acout, e. g., “Ch.” for chapter? “Chs.”? @Ice Dragon

Abbreviations that use a period typically do not change when plural, but it's a case-by-case basis like most things in English.

"Pages" is actually the biggest exception with "pp." being the standard (i.e. the only acceptable) abbreviation in formal writing, but "p." and "pg.", which are the singular abbreviations, are understood to be plural in context otherwise. The doubled letter in "pp." is the old-fashioned method of indicating a plural in an abbreviation, which follows the convention used by other European languages.

A few that commonly take an "s" when plural (outside of a scientific context, where no units of measurement change their abbreviation when plural) are "yrs." for "years", "hrs." for "hours", and "lbs." for "pounds". When in doubt, consult a dictionary because fuck English for being such a shitty language.

Edited by Ice Dragon

Finally managed to beat this with no deaths for my first time. I was actually excited to get my first perfect run (the first time I get maximum points).

And then I completely forgot to use a bonus ally and ended up with 504 despite having A rank for speed and survival. Dammit... :(

6 minutes ago, Falcom said:

Finally managed to beat this with no deaths for my first time. I was actually excited to get my first perfect run (the first time I get maximum points).

And then I completely forgot to use a bonus ally and ended up with 504 despite having A rank for speed and survival. Dammit... :(

And this is why my serious Tempest runs use a bonus ally. It's really embarrassing to fumble something like this...

At almost 60k on my main account (Sharena bonus) and then 65k on my second account (Boey account).

I kind of feel like I want to go as close to 99k for those needed orbs, although there's not enough time left because of work stuff. Also dividing attention between two accounts didn't help. I can do 7 map Lunatics confidently now but the main issue is it takes about 20 minutes to finish each run.

I do have 100 stamina potions at least. Is it faster to do more 5 map Lunatic battles compared to grab those points? Or maybe I should just take my losses and go for a reachable 70k or 80k threshold...

Got Phantom Speed! Which I have basically no use for since I don't have Alm or Soren. Could be good for dealing with opposing Sweep users, I guess.

5 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

I've cleared lunatic chain challenges up until P7&8 combined and the whole Ch. 9&10 and Ch. 10&11 things. I value my sanity a tiny bit more than 20 orbs.

I've done all the paralogues too, so I only have 16 more orbs to get from Chain Challenge.

I think you mean Ch. 11-12

6 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

I've done all the paralogues too, so I only have 16 more orbs to get from Chain Challenge.

I think you mean Ch. 11-12

Yes, but it doesn’t matter. I’m not going to do either anyway.

At 86K myself. I probably will just start auto battling on Hard to get to 90K then call it quits. I have the stamina potions, but I have just reached the point where Tempest goes from mind numbingly repetitive to frustrating every run. I just don't want to play anymore.