Official Artwork?

Ronnie

Has there ever been an explanation as to why there wasn't official artwork of every recruitable character like previous FE games? I think there only exist official art of the royals and that's it. I really dislike the 4koma art (Ophelia shudder...)

Yeah, it's weird.

Maybe Yusuke Kozaki got bored or IS just didn't feel like forking over the extra cash?

Besides the royals, there's artwork of Felicia, plus a couple more of the retainers like Niles, Hinata, Odin, Oboro, Jakob. I forget the entire list.

Thing is, most of the additional artwork was used for something. Felicia was for the convention in France. Jakob and Oboro appeared in the Top 4 male/female 3DS themes. Meanwhile Niles, Hinata and Odin were used in the drama CDs.

In the end, they must have run out of excuses to get Yusuke Kozaki to draw more artwork...

20 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

In the end, they must have run out of excuses to get Yusuke Kozaki to draw more artwork...

People have been saying that Kozaki has mentioned that he's stressed producing so much art for a single project and may not return in the future. Second hand, of course, but it makes some sense.

I never checked for official artwork for Fates, but not everyone has it? What about SoV?

*Checks SF's Gallery* Nor Awakening?! Why!?!

I mean I understand SD and NM not having art for everyone b/c so many characters are devoid of personality, but you'd expect everyone from a more modern FE to have it. Every PC since FE4 has had official artwork (the exception being SS which is just that, the one exception)- even the FE4 subs with the Treasure Artbook and forgettable characters like Ralph from FE5 have official artwork. RD even gave us fresh artwork for the dozens of returning characters when they didn't really need to for 90% of the cast.

Maybe this is why Cipher and Heroes exist. To hire out freelance artists to make artwork which either the artists hired for non-spinoffs refuse to make out of fatigue (does Japan not have Stamina Drinks- by which I mean Red Bull/Monster?), or b/c they want more pay and the spin-off freelancers are cheaper. (These are purely my hypotheses.) My problem with this is that I have some, quite possibly unjustified, bias against Cipher and Heroes artwork.

EDIT: Corrected on Awakening.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

*Checks SF's Gallery* Nor Awakening?! Why!?!

Awakening has official art of everyone. Last time I checked. From big names like Chrom and Lucina to minor units like Stahl and Gaius.

Just remember that just because the artwork hasn't been shown, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. For years we only had art for a few characters in Sacred Stones, but later on the rest of the artwork came out in the Fire Emblem Museum and artbooks. Even NPC's like Mansel had art hidden away. 

Like what Hardin said, I'm sure they have the artwork, or at least some more artwork then what we have, but they chose to not release it. Same can be said with Echoes. I mean we do have a fair bit, we are also missing a good chunk, however, I say we will get more as time goes on.

I say on the 30th anniversary (4 years from now), we will get a new artbook which will no doubt have a lot of artwork in it.

2 hours ago, VincentASM said:

Yeah, it's weird.

Maybe Yusuke Kozaki got bored or IS just didn't feel like forking over the extra cash?

Besides the royals, there's artwork of Felicia, plus a couple more of the retainers like Niles, Hinata, Odin, Oboro, Jakob. I forget the entire list.

Thing is, most of the additional artwork was used for something. Felicia was for the convention in France. Jakob and Oboro appeared in the Top 4 male/female 3DS themes. Meanwhile Niles, Hinata and Odin were used in the drama CDs.

I'm pretty sure it's too much work for him to draw a lot more characters since Fates does have a lot more playable characters than Awakening have. He does draw the character portraits in the game as well. I'm pretty sure he'll draw more artwork for the Artbook or the other sometime in the future since he does work developing drawing the characters in the main story in Fire Emblem Heroes as well.

Edited by King Marth 64