I hope that this game is more Fates, less Valentia.

Honestly, Fates was pretty much the perfect FE game, character and gameplay wise. (No one cares about the story of FE games, since they're all bad.)

Valentia was a bland, waste of a game, with boring, lifeless characters and bad gameplay. 

If this game is even halfway identical to Fates was, I'll be content.

Sweep that sales disaster known as Valentia under the rug, IS, please!

Is this bait? It feels like bait.

I care about plot, so that first statement is factually wrong. 

For what it's worth, I'd agree that I'd like it to be more like Fates as far as willingness to experiment with gameplay. SoV's characters and story were a step up though so I hope they take it a step further.

2 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

I care about plot, so that first statement is factually wrong. 

For what it's worth, I'd agree that I'd like it to be more like Fates as far as willingness to experiment with gameplay. SoV's characters and story were a step up though so I hope they take it a step further.

I disagree.

A piece of wood has more character than the bland dinguses of Valentia.

14 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

yes, and I sincerely hope this post and the one after it where the guy claims to not be trolling are the last posts in this thread

13 minutes ago, unique said:

yes, and I sincerely hope this post and the one after it where the guy claims to not be trolling are the last posts in this thread

Come on, guys.

Has the fanbase really gotten so bad that anyone who expresses a fondness for Fates and a mild dislike for Valentia is considered a troll?

That's sad. What has the FE fanbase come to?

I hope the characters and presentation are more like Shadows of Valentia (ie no avatar, minor characters are able to comment on the plot but still die, not having characters come across differently than intended like Camilla), and the gameplay takes ideas from both SoV and CQ.

Both games had good ideas, but I thoroughly prefer SoV's storytelling.  Putting SoV/Gaiden's ideas (especially the magic system) in a game with better maps than Gaiden would be very nice to see, but I did like some things in CQ too.

9 minutes ago, Dragonage2ftw said:

Has the fanbase really gotten so bad that anyone who expresses a fondness for Fates and a mild dislike for Valentia is considered a troll?

Not anyone, just you. :^)

12 minutes ago, Dragonage2ftw said:

That's sad. What has the FE fanbase come to?

the point where they can tell when someone's a troll

I'm gonna avoid this idiotic drama and just get right to brass tax.  Though I have to ask; why is the TC bashing the hell out of the Echoes cast when they also are bearing a member badge with Mae on it?

All I'll say is I want them to combine the best aspects of Fates and Echoes into this game.  There are plenty of things Fates did right (even if everyone on SF shits on the game) and there are... some things Echoes did right.  I think both have good characters, and while Fates obviously has good gameplay, Echoes had some interesting ideas that could be implemented quite well into FE Switch.  Echoes is disgustingly superior to Fates in how it involved the minor characters and in general presented the story, while Fates' map designs and objectives laugh at all the shitty swamp/desert levels and simple missions in Echoes.  Both have their good and their bad, and I hope they'll make a good synergy with what they've got while still innovating and improving balance.

17 minutes ago, Glaceon Sage said:

I hope the characters and presentation are more like Shadows of Valentia (ie no avatar, minor characters are able to comment on the plot but still die, not having characters come across differently than intended like Camilla), and the gameplay takes ideas from both SoV and CQ.

Both games had good ideas, but I thoroughly prefer SoV's storytelling.  Putting SoV/Gaiden's ideas (especially the magic system) in a game with better maps than Gaiden would be very nice to see, but I did like some things in CQ too.

I'd hate that.

Avatars are the best part of the newer FE games.

1 minute ago, Dragonage2ftw said:

I'd hate that.

Avatars are the best part of the newer FE games.

I disagree, the best parts of new FE games were the things introduced in Echoes.

Things like provisions, fatigue, voice acting, and combat arts were all great, and certainly a step up from any of the terrible features that Fates added. I'd hate to play a new Fire Emblem game without those things.

25 minutes ago, unique said:

I disagree, the best parts of new FE games were the things introduced in Echoes.

Things like provisions, fatigue, voice acting, and combat arts were all great, and certainly a step up from any of the terrible features that Fates added. I'd hate to play a new Fire Emblem game without those things.

Well, I'd hate to have an FE game with any of those things in it.

So, clearly, we have reached an impasse. Especially when you consider how big of a flop Echoes was.

3 minutes ago, Dragonage2ftw said:

Well, I'd hate to have an FE game with any of those things in it.

So, clearly, we have reached an impasse. Especially when you consider how big of a flop Echoes was.

Uh, I'm pretty sure it sold very well for a remake for a retiring system... It's sales were lower than other 3DS games maybe, but that's to be expected for a remake which wasn't advertised... The difference in sales wasn't due to worse gameplay, and the sales weren't even that bad, calling it a flop is a major overstatement.

Edited by athena_57

4 minutes ago, Dragonage2ftw said:

Especially when you consider how big of a flop Echoes was.

Actually, it was one of the best-selling games in Japan in April, and it's been stated to have been successful in the US. So it's not actually a flop at all.

Opening a thread by bashing Echoes and praising Fates is not a good way to start a civil discussion. Especially adding in the "nobody cares about story since every FE story is bad". Okay, I'm not about to defend every Fire Emblem story, but this is one of the most likely parts of the internet you WILL find people that care about the story enough to like and/or critique it.

I don't want FE Switch to be wholly similar to Fates or Echoes. I want the best aspects of both. Competently designed harder difficulties and full voice acting. I've been waiting for these for years. Just don't spend precious development resources on half-baked ideas like the Private Quarters or perpetually spawning skirmishes that ambush you on the world map.

Holding these opinions is fine, shoving them down people's throats and expecting a neutral response is not fine.

Edit: Also, I recognize you from previous threads bashing previous games and throwing sales data as some amazing evidence for your claims. Sales data is never a good indicator of game quality. Echoes can't sell as much as Fates if they only ship out a fraction of the amount of copies. Echoes would be a failure if you saw it in used game bins for ten dollars at this point. That's how I picked up my copy of Other M a month after release.

Edited by Gustavos

i've come to one of two conclusions

either 1: op is really bad at starting debates and legitimately doesn't read himself as trolling or 2: op is trolling really obviously

since the whole thread since has been the world vs op i'm going to go ahead and kill this since neither conclusion points to a thread worth having

EDIT: there's a legitimate conversation to be had here, and if someone wants to have it, by all means make a new thread about it though

Edited by Integrity