Favoritism vs Practicality

Ronnie

Favouritism can't save every unit.

In Conquest for example, Arthur and Nyx, two units who I much prefer over Peri, have never been much of any good to me. And this is on lower difficulties, so I shudder to think how quickly Arthur's screwed in higher difficulties.

That being said, I tend to avoid thinking on the characters too much when it comes to gameplay with more recent titles, especially with Conquest, or it will just drive me mad. Pragmatism is a necessity in that game.

Usually with the GBA era, I'd pick out who I'm trying for a playthrough and try to use only them to see how they turn out.

7 hours ago, Dayni said:

Favouritism can't save every unit.

Agreed - hence why I view practicality as the bigger factor in deciding who sees use, especially in Sword of Seals, Radiant Dawn, and Conquest. That being said, sometimes my favorite units happen to be the better ones anyway.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Both. I'll use units I like and will forgo stacking "god" classes and sometimes forgo dancers in favor of another unit; but if the unit gives me too much trouble I'll bench them and try again next time.

Favoritism for me.  I will use my dude Odin/Owain till the cows come home though if you reclass him to a swordmaster he's not too bad.  Unless the unit is completely unsalvagable and I like em I'll use em.

Favoritism all the way. If I don't like a character's style, personality, or design, then I won't use them. I don't care about their stat growths or anything else. You can always make a team work, and I've never been one in any game to focus on optimization or min-maxing (as an avid Pokemon fan, I frequently use an unevolved Pikachu in my team all the way to the end, along with picking Pokemon I enjoy, which often are not ones with very strong stats). For me, the fun of playing Fire Emblem is largely down to the characters working together as a team. If I'm not attached to the characters I'm using, I'm not going to have as much fun, and I won't see the point in playing. 

But I do understand those who go for stats and such above all else. There's a joy that some find in min-maxing or optimizing their runs, and I respect that. It's just not a way of playing that holds any value for me.

If possible, I like to use every one, but if not, mostly favouritism

I geneally prefer to use diverse type of units, and genrally don't use prepromotes (unless everyone is already promoted or something.) I alsoprefer to have everyone at around the same level if possible

. I'll rarely use the Jeigan, and I'll (nearly) always train the Est, or the Trainees, because I find it more fullfilling to use units you trained yourselves.

If a character is boring/have an awfull persnality, I'll never use it. (For example, I'd rather use Pent than Erk. I'll only use Pent if I don't feel like training Nino (which I did nearly every single time)). And no matter how good Kent can be, I'll never ever use him again, but I'll use Lowen every single time.

For characters I'm undifferent too, it'll dépends of growths (In Awakening Stahl ended up blessed, Sully ended up awfull, so I dropped her.)

I think they both have varying amounts of sway with me depending upon the specific situation, although I'll much more often lean towards favoritism.

For example, I'll almost always just instantly bench the Jagen from turn 1 of the very first map just because Jagens are simply not enjoyable for me personally to use, and no amount of them being good will change that. But then, I also have no problems with using characters like Dieck or Ogma, most Christmas Retainers, etc. who are generally considered to be pretty good from what I can tell.

For me, it's simply more fun to use characters who grow and progress in terms of strength over the course of the game, even if they join outright bad. Characters who come already strong are frankly really boring to me and honestly using them too much feels to me a bit unsporting.

On the other hand, if there's a character I really like who's just a huge pain to get going, I will sometimes forego using them depending on the game and the difficulty, or if I wanted to try out using another redundant character instead. There are also some characters who I honestly feel pretty neutral about as characters who I'll still use because they're good units.

If I for whatever reason actively dislike a character, though (very rare), then I hope they like benches, 'cause that's where they're ending up, even if they're the single best unit in the entire game.