Why isn't Idun a playable character in FE6 or Trial Maps

She uses a custom battle sprite, which is massive. Like, I'm fairly certain that her sprite is part of the background itself (or was that the Demon King?). If she were playable, it would be like playing the Fire Dragon or the Demon King - simply not possible without changing her appearance, which would be disappointing.

Of course, it certainly would be epic if she were playable, but it would likely be exceedingly difficult to pull off.

Edited by Rex Glacies

Making her playable in the main game is obviously impossible seeing how she's the final boss and Binding came before the idea of a postgame was a thing.

Also, Idunn isn't the only villain not available in the postgame, Jahn isn't. And looking forward to SS, Vigarde and Mansel weren't given playable status in Creature Campaign either (though their classes are redundant with Fado and Riev, no CC characters are of the exact same class).

2 minutes ago, Rex Glacies said:

She uses a custom battle sprite, which is massive. Like, I'm fairly certain that her sprite is part of the background itself (or was that the Demon King?). If she were playable, it would be like playing the Fire Dragon or the Demon King - simply not possible without changing her appearance, which would be disappointing.

Interestingly, in case you didn't know, there is an unused Demon Dragonstone in Binding's data. And Idunn already has a Manakete sprite, so she could work as a playable character. Just have her shift into her Demon Dragon form in battle, any issues arising from its size are solved.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Interestingly, in case you didn't know, there is an unused Demon Dragonstone in Binding's data. And Idunn already has a Manakete sprite, so she could work as a playable character. Just have her shift into her Demon Dragon form in battle, any issues arising from its size are solved.

Huh. Intriguing. I guess they could have done it, but like you also mentioned, this was one of the first games to feature a postgame, so they likely didn't know exactly what they wanted to do.

23 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Making her playable in the main game is obviously impossible seeing how she's the final boss and Binding came before the idea of a postgame was a thing.

Also, Idunn isn't the only villain not available in the postgame, Jahn isn't. And looking forward to SS, Vigarde and Mansel weren't given playable status in Creature Campaign either (though their classes are redundant with Fado and Riev, no CC characters are of the exact same class).

But Ashnard is the final boss on FE9 and is a trial map character and Zephiel is the semi-final boss for fe6 and he is also a playable character in the trial maps

23 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Yeah but its name is really weird like it was finishing a sentence gosh they could have gave it a name

@goldenscarletangel,kaya, you do know you can multiquote, right? Select each post and respond to them within that same post next time, alright?

The fact that she wasn't put in the Trial Maps isn't something that's been explained by the devs, though there's not been a playable final boss with tranformation involved so far as I know in the main series (Or other final bosses for that matter, I can't really tell with SoV or Tellius right now). The Demon Dragonstone was dropped mid-development as well, as it's obviously unused in the final release, but maybe there were concerns about balance, as she is much stronger with it and they were concerned a player's team might be too weak to fight it (Course, the Binding Blade still demolishes her so eh. But the enemy doesn't get it.....).

Simple answr: she just wasn't. There's no given reason as to why.

I guess the devs didn't really think about adding her in the trial maps. Besides, I think she would too OP anyways (then again, the Binding Blade exists, but oh well)

2 hours ago, Flee Fleet! said:

Simple answr: she just wasn't. There's no given reason as to why.

I guess the devs didn't really think about adding her in the trial maps. Besides, I think she would too OP anyways (then again, the Binding Blade exists, but oh well)

She isn't that OP because she wasn't even allowed in the arena because my Amelia in fe8 was too OP with her 25 spd and eveerything no CC characters in fe8 are allowed in Arena

Honestly, I think it's mainly for spoiler reasons. Unlike the other characters in the trial maps, Idun is never completely seen until her battle map. Problem is, it's entirely possible to miss this battle map (very possibly by not even knowing how to access it in the first place). And I believe the trial map characters are accessed whether one gets to her map or not. So, if the developers added her in, and someone accessed the trial maps before accessing her map, they could potentially be spoiled on who she is, what she looks like (under her cloak), and what she's capable of.

27 minutes ago, goldenscarletangel,kaya said:

She isn't that OP because she wasn't even allowed in the arena because my Amelia in fe8 was too OP with her 25 spd and eveerything no CC characters in fe8 are allowed in Arena

Um, we're talking about FE6 here, not 8. I also don't see how not being not allowed in the arena determines how powerful a character is, considering the fact trial map characters can't access the arena since there aren't any in the trial maps. (I don't know about CC though, never accessed so I don't know if CC characters can access the arena.

2 minutes ago, wheelsonfire said:

Honestly, I think it's mainly for spoiler reasons. Unlike the other characters in the trial maps, Idun is never completely seen until her battle map. Problem is, it's entirely possible to miss this battle map (very possibly by not even knowing how to access it in the first place). And I believe the trial map characters are accessed whether one gets to her map or not. So, if the developers added her in, and someone accessed the trial maps before accessing her map, they could potentially be spoiled on who she is, what she looks like (under her cloak), and what she's capable of.

Yeah, this actually makes more sense. 

Probably all of the reasons stated here as well as she doesn't have any weapon rank when you fight her. This possibly allows her to access other weapons she's not allowed to. If she did use a dragon stone there may be glitches involving her and Fae, or the developers would have to sprite and program in extra sprites just for Idunn to be used in those maps.

She could have been under the Manakete class. That would have been fun.

She is soooo gonna be in Heroes though, like, 99% sure of it.