Squad Assault and Chain Challenge discussion thread

Alexmender

10 minutes ago, Johann said:

Well, look at it this way; you know exactly what you're fighting before each round (minus the first unless you've tried it or heard from someone). It's a little more like doing 5 GHBs in a row, and like GHBs, you may need to end up using skills you didn't think much of before (like -wolf tomes, who knew? glad I had that ready). Plus, unlike GHBs, Tempest, or even Arena, there's no rush to beat these.

Yes, but again, the real issue is that you can only use each team once, and no one is allowed to die. That's what makes this mode unnecessarily hard.

4 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

My units are okay I guess. They're not exactly the greatest thing since sliced bread though. And using them only once is the challenge, otherwise someone could just do the whole thing with horse emblem like everyone does these days!

I mean, if it only took you 4 tries, then i wouldn't say your units are "just okay". They're probably better than you think, tbh. And i get that only using them once is the challenge but why throw in the forced deathless mechanic as well? That just makes it unnecessarily hard. This mode should've either had one or the other. Not both.

Edited by Armagon

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Lushen said:

Might I ask which units you used on each stage?

5 star Effie, 4 star Gordin, F Corrin, and Nowi stage 1

5 star Celica, 4 star Olivia, and Serra, and 5 star Oboro stage 2

5 star Male Robin, Jaffar, and 4 star Anna and Narcian stage 3

5 star Lilina, 4 star Sharena, Alfonse, and Selena stage 4

5 star Lyn, Karel, Azura, and Nino stage 5

I can show skills if you'd like :D:

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Yes, but again, the real issue is that you can only use each team once, and no one is allowed to die. That's what makes this mode unnecessarily hard.

I mean, if it only took you 4 tries, then i wouldn't say your units are "just okay". They're probably better than you think, tbh. And i get that only using them once is the challenge but why throw in the forced deathless mechanic as well? That just makes it unnecessarily hard. This mode should've either had one or the other. Not both.

"Unnecessarily hard" is relative to each person.

Do some lack the units necessary to beat Squad Assault right now? Sure, definitely. Is it fair to make sweeping judgements about difficulty before even a day has passed and strategies start to make their way online? I'd say no. 

Considering that they could've thrown on extra skills, especially specials, onto the units but didn't I'm willing to stick to the fact that this mode overall is easier than even some of the GHB's that we've gotten. For example, I defeated the archer on the third map with a 4*Henry + Healer support which I probably didn't need. There's some trial and error involved, but thanks to the internet and even the in-game preview, you could theory craft each map before trying them. 

For the record, I also haven't spend any money, but I've been playing since launch and, admittedly, gotten lucky overall. 

They need an Infernal-level Squad Assault with actual skills on the enemies. Smashing through walls of HP that only have a weapon feels kind of empty.

Lunatic, though, feels pretty much how I imagined it to feel. Not too difficult if you have a decently sized roster built up. It's kind of annoying that you can't use duplicates, though. It doesn't hurt me too much, but I can imagine it to be frustrating for others, especially since the mechanic doesn't seem to make too much sense.

Not going to complain about the reward, though. I was recently lamenting the fact that I couldn't run HP +3 on both Ninian and Tiki simultaneously, and now I can. Ninian is obviously my Ace, though.

16 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

My units are okay I guess. They're not exactly the greatest thing since sliced bread though.

7 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

5 star Effie, 4 star Gordin, F Corrin, and Nowi stage 1

5 star Celica, 4 star Olivia, and Serra, and 5 star Oboro stage 2

5 star Male Robin, Jaffar, and 4 star Anna and Narcian stage 3

5 star Lilina, 4 star Sharena, Alfonse, and Selena stage 4

5 star Lyn, Karel, Azura, and Nino stage 5

I can show skills if you'd like :D:

I don't man, those units look pretty damn good. Or, at the very least, a lot more than just "okay".

5 minutes ago, Apples said:

Is it fair to make sweeping judgements about difficulty before even a day has passed and strategies start to make their way online?

I mean, i guess, but given that this is a gacha game, any strategy will be entirely dependent on whether you have the required units or not. So it'll really only benefit people who have those units.

Still though, i don't even see myself touching this mode at all because of how bullshit the difficulty is.

The Chain Challenge seems pretty cool too, and it looks like it will be a great way to farm SP & Hero Merit. I like the idea that was suggested, about saving one of the maps for leveling/farming by losing on the final map. I'll probably do that for Normal 1&2

And... SO MANY ORBS ARE AVAILABLE ON LUNATIC! 2 orbs each for single chapters, and 4 for the combined ones. That's pretty nice, more orbs than have been available for a long time.

Also, if anyone is interested my squads for the Squad Assault were:

Round 1: Hinoka, Clair, Abel 4*, Michalis 4*
Round 2: Sharena, Roy, Sanaki, Clarine 4*
Round 3: Hector, Est, Catria, Summer Tiki
Round 4: Ike, Masked Marth, Celica, Olivia 4*
Round 5: Camus, Reinhardt, Xander, Priscilla

I can list skills, too, if anyone is interested.

43 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Most of the time, i just pull Subakis, and i'm honestly starting to hate the guy because of how much i've gotten him.

But pulling Subaki is my thing! But, hey, at least there's plenty of Quick Riposte 2 fodder, right?

1 minute ago, Astellius said:

But, hey, at least there's plenty of Quick Riposte 2 fodder, right?

Yeah, and Quick Riposte is always a good thing. But eventually, you'll start to run out of units to give it to.

I say that, but admittedly, it got to a point where i just traded my Subakis for Feathers.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I don't man, those units look pretty damn good. Or, at the very least, a lot more than just "okay".

Nine 5* units is a pretty average number to have for an F2P who has been playing FE: H since release, if not below average.

The good news is that these modes aren't running for a limited time, so once your roster has grown enough you're free to try them as often as needed until you've beaten them.

Also, feel free to hand me all of those Subakis if you don't want them. I sure do!

Without duplicates, I am not sure I have enough good units. I was planning to use three Reinhardts and three Cordelias on three different teams...

I will put it off until I train up more ponies.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Jaffar is -Spd heh

Everyone else has perfect, or essentially neutral natures in terms of offense so I guess you can say my units are more than "okay"

Still, I didn't even have a full 5 star team for all of them, and Nino could've been replaced for Gordin, and Gordin could've been replaced with Virion

Sophia can be used in place of Lilina as well!

How dare you not bold my 5 star Oboro!

I completed the squad assault (on the second try) here is the teams are used to the best of my memory. Units are five star unless stated otherwise.

Team 1: Sharena (Swordbreaker 3), Narcian (4*),  filler (Lilian), and filler (Clarisse) no really I only needed these two units so I just put two filler 4 stars that could chip in if needed.

Team 2: Est (TA 3, brave build), Michalis(4*), Xander, Ursula(4* blade tome)

Team 3: Hector, Effie (Brave Lance+), Olivia(*4), Jaffar

Team 4: Elise, Camus, Alfonse, Anna

Team 5: Masked "Marth", Kagero, Leo(Blade Tome), Cecilia(Blade Tome)

Teams one through three are exactly what I used I might've messed up a couple peoples placements in teams five and four I don't remember exactly what I used but I am pretty sure this is right.

Edit:  Also been playing the chain challenge these are pretty fun feels like what the tempest should've been

Edited by Locke087

At least it's nice that they gave some fair trade-offs in Squad Assault.

The enemies have no skills, only weapons, and it's the same ones every time. So it's merely just trying to find the right combination of units.

4 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

Nine 5* units is a pretty average number to have for an F2P who has been playing FE: H since release, if not below average.

I'm a F2P-player who's been playing since launch, and i have 14 5-Stars, so i guess that's more than average? Though a good number of them were promoted, not summoned. And two of my 5-Stars are healers who lack Wrathful Staff. And most of my 5-Stars are Reds. I only have two Archers, Two Greens, and Two Blues out of all my 5-Stars.

I mean, i do have Sanaki and Reinhardt, both of which are great units, but they are also glaring weaknesses, with Sanaki being one-shot 99% of the time by physical attacks and Rein have terrible speed, so he can get doubled pretty easily on the enemy turn.

2 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

The good news is that these modes aren't running for a limited time, so once your roster has grown enough you're free to try them as often as needed until you've beaten them.

That's the only good thing about Assault Squad tbh. And it does make things less frustrating, but only slightly.

9 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Sophia can be used in place of Lilina as well!

I do have a 5-Star Sophia thanks to promotion, and she does serve as a decent magical wall for me. She would serve as a great physical wall (she's got 33 Def) but she's Sophia, so her speed is terrible. She gets doubled easily.

10 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

How dare you not bold my 5 star Oboro!

I'm sorry, i didn't even see her.

Anyway, i'm going to sleep. It's almost 1 AM here.

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I do have a 5-Star Sophia thanks to promotion, and she does serve as a decent magical wall for me. She would serve as a great physical wall (she's got 33 Def) but she's Sophia, so her speed is terrible. She gets doubled easily.

That's what Triangle Adept is for. She doesn't care about being double attacked when she takes so little damage and no enemies have special skills.

I barely had enough unitss to make it through, I really need to get some mages

Marth Map - Spring Chrom, Catria, Faye, and Nowi

Nohr Map - Felicia, Azura, Xander (4th slot did not matter)

Roy Map - Hector, Bride Cordelia, Bride Charlotte, Tiki

Chrom Map - Roy, Elise, Genny, Ursula (yes, these are my best mages)

Navarre Map - Ike, Chrom, Bride Lyn, Summer Tiki

The prizes are first time only? I just played Chain Challenge and didn't read if the prizes were first time only haha

Squad Assault used all my stamina... I lost because of a bad position... Why is locked to everyone survive? I don't liked that part... everything else sounds interesting

Edited by SniperGYS

20 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Lilina gets doubled easily too XD

But speed doesn't matter for her role on that map ;)

5 minutes ago, Astellius said:

That's right. Too bad we can't farm orbs and feathers into infinity!

Awww I wanted more feathers xD

Anyone got any tips for Map 3 in Squad Assault? So far I'm up to.

Map 1: Ephraim, Boey, Lachesis, Takumi

Map 2: Xander, Spring Lucina, Sharena, Michalis

But Map 3 is a real pain. I can't get to those Cavaliers.