Any reliable place to get used games?

Fryer

Few years ago, I gave away my copy of Pokemon Platinum to a friend of mine who has moved away. I am in the mood to replay the game and since I own 2 NDS systems, I could make use of a copy in order to get trade evolutions. I have used the site JJgames before which I found reliable but the NDS for Pokemon are almost never in stock.

4 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

ebay is a good place

Are you sure? The prices for the games are quite dubious considering how the DS games are no longer in production.

I know a lot of people don't like GameStop, but at least for me I have the most luck getting used games there.  Plus GameSop's prices tend to be the same or lower then other sites.

2 hours ago, Fryer said:

Are you sure? The prices for the games are quite dubious considering how the DS games are no longer in production.

prices are around average all around the internet, not to mention you have buyer protection incase you buy a counterfit on accident

Pokemon Platinum is recent enough that you could find a copy using Gamestop's store locator. Pokemon games don't really depreciate in price, however. So check your local area for used game shops. I used to scout them out a lot to expand my 5th and 6th gen collections, and most of the games tended to have fair prices. Though keep in mind I don't say "fair" as in "cheap". Fair as in, games with great review scores or are great collector's items are priced much higher than the flood of Madden and Fifa games. While finding those same games in a bargain bin of gamestop would probably price every game of that console at a 5$ price point, since they're always trying to clear for space. Gamestop tends to be cheaper for lesser known or niche/cult classic games, while dedicated game stores tend to be cheaper with regard to best sellers like pokemon, call of duty, or sports games, in addition to larger vintage selections.

15 hours ago, Fryer said:

I got a platinum at a game store in Los Angeles (World 8 Video games) for 20 bucks a year ago, and game stores have to pay for employee salaries and such (keep in mind that game store prices are often slightly higher because you are paying a middle man to do things like weed out bootlegs). There are at least 6 independent retro game stores in LA and the immediate area, and those are just the ones that i have been to or called up. NYC also has a similar number (although my part of town in nyc had people selling bootleg everything, including vidio games.).

A lot of market forces set the price of any given game. The classic example is japanese pokemon red and green. They are almost identical games (exept for a few version exclusives), and had similar numbers produced from what i can tell, but green version is twice as expensive because of how famious it is, which drives up demand ("i have Japanese red" does not have quite the same cachet as "i have green version").  Platinum seems to be one of the cheaper pokemon games (i guess demand is not that high). HGSS, on the other hand are one of the most expensive.

ANother place you can get lost of great games for cheap are vidio game exclusive swap meets or fairs. I just got a copy of alpha saphire for 18 bucks at such an event (and a copy of ffta for 8). The advantage of that sort of thing is that they let you inspect and test games before buying, although the return policies at such booths may be spoty. Note that some stores have better prices than others.

Let me knpw if you want any more details.

Edited by sirmola