Best and Worst Units

Who do you guys think are the best and worst units?

I'd say

FE6 Best: Allen, Lance, Miledy, Deke, Rutger

FE6 Worst: Sophia, Juno

FE7 Best: Sain, Kent, Hector, Florina, Oswin, Pent

FE7 Worst: Wallace, Renault, Nino

FE8 Best: Ephraim, Gerik

FE8 Worst: Syrene, Knoll, Duessel

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best

FE6: Rutger, Miledy, Dieck, Alan, Lance, Percival

FE7: Hector, Raven, Oswin, Kent, Pent, Sain, Ninian/Nils, Athos (for the one applicable chapter he's in)

FE8: Seth, Ephraim, Gerik, Tana, Cormag, Duessel (on Eph's route, otherwise he's pretty lackluster)

Worst

FE6: Roy Wendy, Sophia, Dayan, Juno, Ward

FE7: Karla, Renault, Wallace, Isadora

FE8: Knoll, Amelia, Syrene, Rennac 

Edited by Xanaxian

Best:

Fe 6: Dieck (joins at a good level very early on and has some pretty great bases)

Fe 7: Hector (a very strong axe user in a game that loves enemies with lances, one of my favourite lords from a gameplay perspective)

Fe 8: Seth (He starts strong and never gets weaker)

Worst:

Fe 6: Wendy/Gwendolyn (bad bases, low level, and joins at the same as another who is of the same class and doesn't have her problems)

Fe 7: Eliwood (a very lackluster forced sword user (his mode at least) in a game that loves enemies with lances, Hector has the Strength and Defense Eliwood would love to have and Lyn has the Skill and Speed Eliwood would love to have)

Fe 8: L'Arachel (joins under-leveled quite a bit in the game and healers take their time leveling up)

12 minutes ago, I'm a Spheal said:

joins at the same as another who is of the same class and doesn't have her problems

To be fair, Barth isn't very good either.  His Speed is not going anywhere, and he has the worst Res in the game between his 1 base and 2% growth (this is only slightly better than NES tier Res).  There's also the fact he joins lancelocked right before the axe islands, just like Wendy, and the usual armorknight problem of low move being especially apparent in FE6 with the full seize applies to him too.  

FE6 Best: Rutger, Alan, Lance, Meredy
FE6 Worst: Sophia, Wendy

FE7 Best: Florina, Raven, Pent, Ninian/Nils, Marcus
FE7 Worst: Karla, Renault

FE8 Best: Seth, Ephraim, Vanessa, Tana, Eirika
FE8 Worst: Ewan, Amelia

2 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

I'm surprised you didn't add Gwendolyn (aka Wendy) there.

Lol, I forgot about Wendy

2 hours ago, Glaceon Sage said:

Best 

FE6: Rutger

FE7: Marcus

FE8: SETH

Worst: 

FE6: Sophia, Wendy/Gwendolyn

FE7: Karla

FE8: Knoll

You really like the early game GBA Paladins aside from FE6 Marcus, don't you? I agree with you that Knoll is probably the worst unit in FE8, although I forgot about the trainees, specifically Ross and Amelia who also suck

2 hours ago, Xanaxian said:

Best

FE6: Rutger, Miledy, Dieck, Alan, Lance, Percival

FE7: Hector, Raven, Oswin, Kent, Pent, Sain, Ninian/Nils, Athos (for the one applicable chapter he's in)

FE8: Seth, Ephraim, Gerik, Tana, Cormag, Duessel (on Eph's route, otherwise he's pretty lackluster)

Worst

FE6: Roy Wendy, Sophia, Dayan, Juno, Ward

FE7: Karla, Renault, Wallace, Isadora

FE8: Knoll, Amelia, Syrene, Rennac 

1 hour ago, I'm a Spheal said:

Best:

Fe 6: Dieck (joins at a good level very early on and has some pretty great bases)

Fe 7: Hector (a very strong axe user in a game that loves enemies with lances, one of my favourite lords from a gameplay perspective)

Fe 8: Seth (He starts strong and never gets weaker)

Worst:

Fe 6: Wendy/Gwendolyn (bad bases, low level, and joins at the same as another who is of the same class and doesn't have her problems)

Fe 7: Eliwood (a very lackluster forced sword user (his mode at least) in a game that loves enemies with lances, Hector has the Strength and Defense Eliwood would love to have and Lyn has the Skill and Speed Eliwood would love to have)

Fe 8: L'Arachel (joins under-leveled quite a bit in the game and healers take their time leveling up)

1 hour ago, Glaceon Sage said:

To be fair, Barth isn't very good either.  His Speed is not going anywhere, and he has the worst Res in the game between his 1 base and 2% growth (this is only slightly better than NES tier Res).  There's also the fact he joins lancelocked right before the axe islands, just like Wendy, and the usual armorknight problem of low move being especially apparent in FE6 with the full seize applies to him too.  

Knights in FE6 are bad in general, Douglas is probably the best because he joins as a General at least

1 hour ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

FE6 Best: Rutger, Alan, Lance, Meredy
FE6 Worst: Sophia, Wendy

FE7 Best: Florina, Raven, Pent, Ninian/Nils, Marcus
FE7 Worst: Karla, Renault

FE8 Best: Seth, Ephraim, Vanessa, Tana, Eirika
FE8 Worst: Ewan, Amelia

I disagree with Ewan, the only problem with him is that he joins late at a VERY low level, but in comparison to Amelia, Ewan is the only viable Dark Magic user in the game as Knoll sucks and Amelia isn't the only viable Paladin/Great Knight/General in the game as we have Seth, Franz, Forde, Kyle, Duessel and Gilliam who are all viable, whereas Knoll really isn't other than for summoning phantoms

I don't see what value there is in "only viable dark magic user". It's not as if I'm losing out on anything of note by not training a dark magic user; Luna was nerfed in this game and the dark sacred twin doesn't even hit monster weakness. If you want someone who can target Res, then Artur, Lute, and Saleh are better choices. If you want someone to summon phantoms, Knoll is a better choice. Either way, Ewan is outclassed.

Highly underlevelled units are almost always among the worst; I give Nino a bit of a pass because she helps pad the exp rank (and does a decent job of that because her stats are at least good for her level, if not her join time).

20 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I don't see what value there is in "only viable dark magic user". It's not as if I'm losing out on anything of note by not training a dark magic user; Luna was nerfed in this game and the dark sacred twin doesn't even hit monster weakness. If you want someone who can target Res, then Artur, Lute, and Saleh are better choices. If you want someone to summon phantoms, Knoll is a better choice. Either way, Ewan is outclassed.

Highly underlevelled units are almost always among the worst; I give Nino a bit of a pass because she helps pad the exp rank (and does a decent job of that because her stats are at least good for her level, if not her join time).

Okay, Gleipnir may not do effective damage against monsters, but monsters are weak, so it will probably kill them anyway and Dark Magic is still good, even if it was nerfed from Elibe to FE8

1 hour ago, Weeping__Dalek said:

Okay, Gleipnir may not do effective damage against monsters, but monsters are weak, so it will probably kill them anyway and Dark Magic is still good, even if it was nerfed from Elibe to FE8

Except Gleipnir is stupidly heavy at 20 weight, and thus using it means you can kiss 12 AS goodbye. So no, dark magic isn't good in FE8, not when Luna was nerfed to the point of unusability and anything else besides Flux is practically unusable.

That being said:

Best:

FE6: Melady, Rutger, Percival

FE7: Hector, Sain, Kent, Pent

FE8: Seth, Vanessa

Worst:

FE6: Gwendolyn (underleveled, poor bases, poor jointime), Sophia (See Gwendolyn)

FE7: Renault, Wallace, Nino, Bartre, Karla

FE8: Ewan (doesn't offer anything other mages don't offer, underleveled)

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

1 hour ago, Weeping__Dalek said:

Not all monsters are weak by any means. Gleipnir not hitting weakness on the likes of dracozombies and the Demon King means that dark mages will be inferior to other mages at taking out some key targets. Even against humans, Excalibur/Ivaldi are better than Gleipnir, because they're much lighter and actually buff a useful stat.

I'm not sure why you say dark magic is good, can you elaborate? Quite apart from getting stuck with the scrub sacred twin, the other tomes are generally much too heavy, and the only one lighter than 12 weight, Flux, is completely inferior to Thunder (weapon triangle concerns notwithstanding).

FE6 

Best: 

• Miledy is flying tank with attack power and speed.
  • FE6 Marcus is so important in this game. Unlike in 7 you really need him to survive earlygame. 
  • Rutger is in the best class with the best weapon type. Your bosskiller in earlygame... no... in the entire game.

Worst:

• Barth for being in the worst class with the worst weapon types.
  • Sophia for joining level 1 too late.
  • Wendy joins level 1 in midgame in the worst class with the worst weapon types.

FE7

Best:

• Raven was the MVP in my HHM run. Could double and ORKO most of the enemies. He could also tank quite a bit.
  • Heath was similar to Miledy but was a bit worse statwise.
  • Florina for being fast with having power. However her con leaves to be desired.

Worst:

• Wallace (if you can save him) for having similar problem as Barth.
  • The two fighters for being slow.
  • Nino for having similar problem as Sophia.

FE8

Best:

• Seth can technically solo this game.
  • Tana is a flying dodgetank with power.
  • Ephraim has no real weaknesses aside for being locked on one weapon and non mounted in the beginning.

Worst:

• Ewan for sharing same problem as Sophia and Nino.
  • Amelia joins also joins as a trainee in mid-early-game where you don't need her anymore.

Knoll would be on the worst list too if the hoplon guard didn't exist.

Edited by はたの 秦 こころ

Best:

• FE6 - Milady (best flyer by far), Rutger (best bosskiller), Marcus (least replaceable unit in the game). I've actually changed my mind a bit about Perceval - he is still really good, of course, but nevertheless not as valuable as Rutger and Marcus when they're at their best.
  • FE7 - Marcus
  • FE8 - Seth.

Worst:

• FE6 - Sophia (I used her in a reversed recruitment run lately, where she joins in chapter 2. She was still horrible.), Wendy
  • FE7 - I'd say Karla. Her base stats and her join time just don't fit together.
  • FE8 - Amelia, easily and even moreso in a non-grinding playthrough. Knoll has his merits as a instantly available summoner, Ewan has at least good 1-2 range weaponry going for him which makes training him a lot easier despite his later join time. Amelia has a horrible start and grows into an average Paladin (or a somewhat unusual, but not particularly outstanding general, if you don't like high-movement unit), which is really bad by FE8 standards.

Best:

• FE6 - Miledy, Percival, Alan/Lance, Gonzales, Dieck, Rutger
  • FE7 - Hector, Sain, Pent, Canas, Lucius, Raven
  • FE8 - SETH, Ephraim, Ross, Innes, Gerik

Worst:

• FE6 - Sophia, Barthe, Wendy, Cecilia, Merlinus, Our Boy, Idunn
  • FE7 - Nino, Renault, Karla, 
  • FE8 - The bonus units. Knoll, Syrene

3 hours ago, MadJak91 said:

Best:

• FE6 - Miledy, Percival, Alan/Lance, Gonzales, Dieck, Rutger
  • FE7 - Hector, Sain, Pent, Canas, Lucius, Raven
  • FE8 - SETH, Ephraim, Ross, Innes, Gerik

Worst:

• FE6 - Sophia, Barthe, Wendy, Cecilia, Merlinus, Our Boy, Idunn
  • FE7 - Nino, Renault, Karla, 
  • FE8 - The bonus units. Knoll, Syrene

I forgot how much I like Lucius. He's not just a glass cannon. He's a glass nuke.

I also forgot about Merlinus in FE6. Without a reliable way to level up, he's just a waste of a slot.

Haha, exactly. Lucius never let me down. I sometimes paired him with Canas for a Light-Dark duo wrecking stuff. Quite a few people told they forgot about Lucius! :D

I am also a big Artur fan but I am not sure I would call him the best.

Speaking of FE6... I kind of wanted to include Lilina in the worst part but thought I would be doing her a disservice (read: to avoid flame). There were times when Lugh failed spectacularly so she picked up the slack but then there were times when she simply could not do much with that skill and speed. Wild card more like.

Edited by MadJak91

On 7/5/2017 at 9:48 PM, はたの 秦 こころ said:

FE6 

Best: 

• Miledy is flying tank with attack power and speed.
  • FE6 Marcus is so important in this game. Unlike in 7 you really need him to survive earlygame. 
  • Rutger is in the best class with the best weapon type. Your bosskiller in earlygame... no... in the entire game.

Worst:

• Barth for being in the worst class with the worst weapon types.
  • Sophia for joining level 1 too late.
  • Wendy joins level 1 in midgame in the worst class with the worst weapon types.

FE7

Best:

• Raven was the MVP in my HHM run. Could double and ORKO most of the enemies. He could also tank quite a bit.
  • Heath was similar to Miledy but was a bit worse statwise.
  • Florina for being fast with having power. However her con leaves to be desired.

Worst:

• Wallace (if you can save him) for having similar problem as Barth.
  • The two fighters for being slow.
  • Nino for having similar problem as Sophia.

FE8

Best:

• Seth can technically solo this game.
  • Tana is a flying dodgetank with power.
  • Ephraim has no real weaknesses aside for being locked on one weapon and non mounted in the beginning.

Worst:

• Ewan for sharing same problem as Sophia and Nino.
  • Amelia joins also joins as a trainee in mid-early-game where you don't need her anymore.

Knoll would be on the worst list too if the hoplon guard didn't exist.

Ewan>Knoll tbh, I disagree with him being one of the worst units in the game, his level isn't as big a problem a with Sophia and Nino because grinding exists in FE8 outside of Arenas

16 hours ago, Great Dane said:

Best

FE6: Shanna

FE7: Marcus

FE8: Seth

Worst

FE6: Gwendolyn

FE7: Renault

FE8: Knoll

Please explain to me how Shanna is the best unit in FE6, you could make an argument that she is one of the best because she's your first flyer and becomes a dodgetank, but in a game with Lance, Allen, Deke, Rutger and Miledy, how is Shanna the best?

19 hours ago, Weeping__Dalek said:

Ewan>Knoll tbh, I disagree with him being one of the worst units in the game, his level isn't as big a problem a with Sophia and Nino because grinding exists in FE8 outside of Arenas

I don't really see the grinding argument as much a point for Ewan since anyone can benefit from grinding. Also, Knoll has his merits as a summoner.

3 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I don't really see the grinding argument as much a point for Ewan since anyone can benefit from grinding. Also, Knoll has his merits as a summoner.

Yes, as a Summoner where Knoll can summon stuff he can be decent but he really doesn't have the Speed for Dark Magic whereas Ewan does

And the existence of grinding in Sacred Stones makes Ewan easier to use than other Est type characters in GBA Fire Emblem FE6 (Sophia, Zeiss) and FE7 (Nino) and therefore makes Ewan better than Sophia, Zeiss and Nino

Best:

FE6: Percival, Dieck, Rutger, Allan, Lance, Gonzales, Lalum, Miledy

FE7: Hector, Lucius, Pent, Marcus, Ninian

FE8: Seth, Ephraim, Franz, Tethys (only on hard mode)

Worst:

FE6: Sophia, Juno

FE7: Renault, Nino

FE8: Amelia (I will note that any character in FE8 can be good, Amelia just requires more attention than others. At least Ewan has a niche if your Knoll turns out shitty)

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 6:29 PM, Weeping__Dalek said:

Please explain to me how Shanna is the best unit in FE6, you could make an argument that she is one of the best because she's your first flyer and becomes a dodgetank, but in a game with Lance, Allen, Deke, Rutger and Miledy, how is Shanna the best?

Basically what you said, early flier and dodgetank. If you go to the trouble to grind her at the Chapter 7 arena she pretty much becomes flying Percival for the majority of the game after she promotes in Chapter 8. I won't deny there are still other greats, (Dieck, Rutger, Lugh) but I feel she nets the best rewards. This is just me though, we all have different priorities.

20 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

Best:

FE7: Hector, Lucius, Pent, Marcus, Ninian

FE8: Seth, Ephraim, Franz, Tethys (only on hard mode)

Worst:

FE6: Sophia, Juno

FE7: Renault, Nino

FE8: Amelia (I will note that any character in FE8 can be good, Amelia just requires more attention than others. At least Ewan has a niche if your Knoll turns out shitty)

The only reason I like Ewan is because Knoll doesn't have good Speed, Wendy is also a bad unit in FE6, but not as bad as Sophia because she joins if you count Gaiden Chapters 8 chapters earlier

13 hours ago, Great Dane said:

Basically what you said, early flier and dodgetank. If you go to the trouble to grind her at the Chapter 7 arena she pretty much becomes flying Percival for the majority of the game after she promotes in Chapter 8. I won't deny there are still other greats, (Dieck, Rutger, Lugh) but I feel she nets the best rewards. This is just me though, we all have different priorities.

I don't agree with Shanna being the best flyer in the game or even the best Peg Knight in the game as Tate and especially Miledy are imo better and I don't see how that all makes her the best unit in the game. I'd say that either Lance or Allen are the best units in the game as they join right at the beginning, have a fast support with each other, can become Paladins which are really good, especially in FE6 and FE7 with 8 move and access to the entire weapon triangle and have really good offense stats

22 hours ago, Weeping__Dalek said:

Yes, as a Summoner where Knoll can summon stuff he can be decent but he really doesn't have the Speed for Dark Magic whereas Ewan does

And the existence of grinding in Sacred Stones makes Ewan easier to use than other Est type characters in GBA Fire Emblem FE6 (Sophia, Zeiss) and FE7 (Nino) and therefore makes Ewan better than Sophia, Zeiss and Nino

Except this doesn't matter because dark spells other than Flux are practically unusable either on account of being too heavy (Fenrir, Gleipnir, Nosferatu) or useless (Eclipse, Luna).

21 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

Best:

I honestly fail to see what makes Gonzales good when he misses more than the Imperial stormtroopers in Star Wars...

40 minutes ago, Weeping__Dalek said:

The only reason I like Ewan is because Knoll doesn't have good Speed, Wendy is also a bad unit in FE6, but not as bad as Sophia because she joins if you count Gaiden Chapters 8 chapters earlier

Bold: I don't see it that way - Wendy's availability lead does her no good in this case. In fact, it HURTS her because she sucks for longer.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia