Best and Worst Units

7 hours ago, Flee Fleet! said:

He's basically of the Gotoh/Athos archetype, a unit with high enough stats to get you an easier win.

- It's true that he no good 1-2 range. But the same can be said for Rutger, and most of the other sword users.

- You don't really need a mount for the last three chapters, unless you really want to complete the chapters as fast as you can. Rescue exists, anyways.

- Uh, yes he can. You just need to keep the Boots till he joins.

- I'll admit to that. But he still works as a good back up for it.

- And again, he has high enough stats that his availability isn't much of an issue as it is for someone like Sophia. 

Well, as far as Gotohs go, Karel is a bit disappointing. ;) Disregarding stat boosters, he's basically the same as the other swordmasters in the final map (one-rounds dragons, comparable durability), unlike Athos who is actually really useful in FE7's boss rush.

Still, I belive that @thejohnmatthews is argueing from a LTC point of view, which is different from a normal playthrough (and probably from a ranked run, too). In that kind of playing style, it's actually a race against the turncount to use all the stat boosters, since FE6 doesn't allow you to use them during battle preparations. If you've watched dondon's playthough, he had to plan out exactly when his endgame units would use the stat boosters he bought in the chapter 21 secret shop, and a unit that joins in chapter 23 just doesn't have the time to use enough to keep up the pace in the endgame, which meant that despite playing with 0% growths, dondon didn't use Karel at all in his run.

As such, you could argue that in a LTC run, Karel and Wendy are equals - in both cases, it wouldn't matter at all if they were removed from the game without substitution, so they're both worthless in a LTC run. However, if you take this argument to the extreme, I (as someone who does not do LTC runs myself) would guess that Cath is worse than either Karel or Wendy - if I remember correctly, recruiting her costs turns, while visiting Karel's village doesn't, and it's impossible to finish chapter 8 before Wendy, Ogier, and Barth appear. Heck, I vaguely remember dondon saying that it takes one additional turn to recruit both Fir and Shin (compared to recruiting only one or neither of them), so they're arguably worse than Karel, as well. ;)

However, I wouldn't apply that kind of logic to a normal playthrough, of course. The metric "saves turns" just doesn't mean anything if the player doesn't really care about turns, making the whole paragraph above this kinda pointless. As such, I do agree with you that Karel is certainly not "the worst" FE6 has to offer. He's difficult to rate because he comes before the final chapter, which has rather few deployment slots, and fielding Karel instead of another Durandal user is kind of a zero-sum thing - it doesn't really cost anything because Karel's combat is just as good as Fir's and Rutger's, but unlike Wendy or Sophia (who need a lot of special care until they're as good as other units), he doesn't cost anything either.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, ping said:

Well, as far as Gotohs go, Karel is a bit disappointing. ;) Disregarding stat boosters, he's basically the same as the other swordmasters in the final map (one-rounds dragons, comparable durability), unlike Athos who is actually really useful in FE7's boss rush.

Yeah, that is true. But still, he's at the very least, useable.

17 hours ago, ping said:

Still, I belive that @thejohnmatthews is argueing from a LTC point of view, which is different from a normal playthrough (and probably from a ranked run, too). In that kind of playing style, it's actually a race against the turncount to use all the stat boosters, since FE6 doesn't allow you to use them during battle preparations. If you've watched dondon's playthough, he had to plan out exactly when his endgame units would use the stat boosters he bought in the chapter 21 secret shop, and a unit that joins in chapter 23 just doesn't have the time to use enough to keep up the pace in the endgame, which meant that despite playing with 0% growths, dondon didn't use Karel at all in his run.

Ah, I see, then that would make sense. I was honestly confused when he said he couldn't use Boots. Sorry for the misunderstanding. 

I haven't seen dondon's playthrough, but I guess I'll check it out later.

I gotta say that Karel has to be the most underwhelming Gotoh simply because he is just swordlocked and can only do a perfect growth once and he doesn't really do much because a trained Fir can be the same thing as he is.

2 hours ago, Flee Fleet! said:

Yeah, that is true. But still, he's at the very least, useable.

Yeah, no disagreement here. It's not that big of a boon to field Karel, but it doesn't hurt the player, either.

2 hours ago, Flee Fleet! said:

I haven't seen dondon's playthrough, but I guess I'll check it out later.

I definitely recommend it - as I said, I'm not interesting in doing LTC runs myself, but dondon's videos still helped me quite a bit to get a better grasp of the games he recorded.

• 2 weeks later...