What Makes a Good Character Design?

Truthblade

Don't know if this should be in creative or entertainment, so I will just put it here.

One of the main (if not the main) thing that draws me to any piece of media is character design. There is nothing more cool than staring at a piece of character artwork that just screams awesome to you. So I am asking now...what generally constitutes a good character design for you?

Edited by Truthblade

I don't know to be honest.  Its completely subjective to each person.  To me anything that looks clean, simple, but not bland "NPCish".  Definitely not an easy task.  It also depends largely on the environment and ambience surrounding said character.  For example, I'm going to expect a completely different design for Link in a Zelda game compared to say Simon Belmont in a Castlevania game both take place in or around castles and in Medieval times but have a completely different atmosphere surrounding them.

Pretty much ninja'd by LordOTaco :T

Hm, I think it is subjective what good design is so I will answer what appeals to me personally.

To me it heavily depends on what I am reading. Genre, setting, seriousness, aims and goals, and so on.

While I prefer to me likable characters (good or evil) with personality or quirks first, I do not mind liking a character solely by their clothes or looks or maybe their weapon. FE in general has pretty stock characters or you do not know much about them but I do like their designs usually.

If I am following a fantasy story then I am sucker for all that cheesy armor or noble clothes or whatever. Same with sci-fi. Bring out the uniforms or such! If it is a more casual setting like a high school or slice of life then I expect normal designs although it is cool when the author tries something slightly eccentric, haha. Honestly, I am not a fan of the usual high school stuff when it comes to character design.

As for promotional artwork or such... I agree. I like it to be awesome in the right way and fitting for what you are about to experience. Even if it is the above mentioned casual life setting.

Heck! I do not even mind some of the more risky or fanservice-y designs but at least make them fit (hue hue) and do a little more than that :D

Edited by MadJak91

• 4 weeks later...

Use line qualities and styles to describe your character. The drawn lines of which your character design is composed can go some way to describing it. Thick, even, soft and round lines may suggest an approachable, cute character, whereas sharp, scratchy and uneven lines might point to an uneasy and erratic character.

rolling sky

It depends a lot on the type of character. For example, generally three or less main colours looks good but if the character is supposed to look weird, like Kefka from Final Fantasy, more can work. Like colours, it's usually a good thing the character design doesn't have too many details but no details at all isn't a good option either. Of course a lot depends on the context; Xenoblade characters are quite detailed but it fits the setting. Also, not everyone's going to like character's design even if that design can be considered "good". For example I like over-alls a lot but a friend of mine can't stand them.

• 2 weeks later...