In need of some advice.

Elincia

So I've been working this customer service job for about a year now, and have been getting kind of vocally abused by one of my coworkers. She's somewhat of an assistant manager, so she has a bit of authority over me. She has attacked me for not responding to her right away, for not doing things right, she doesn't ask for things, she demands them instead, and generally comes off very aggressively, and gets on to me for having an 'attitude' even though she's the one with one almost all the time.

I'm autistic, so it's difficult for me to explain things to the other managers about this, and getting attacked like this, rather often, makes work difficult. I don't know whether I should just come out about my disability now to the management or not. I'm not a fan of pulling the disability card much. I'd rather people think I'm just a regular person. I don't know whether it will fix anything or not, cause a lot if people just treat Autism like it's a childs only issue, and that it doesnt effect adults (which is utter BS).

Anyway kinda just seeking some advice on this.

...you're ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) protected if you disclose your autism, and your employer can make reasonable accommodations for it.

...you're subject to termination-for-cause if your employer neither knows nor has reason to know of a protected disability, and thinks any issues you're having with responsiveness to workplace communications is just plain inattentiveness or lack of care.

I get the whole not-wanting-to-use-the-disability-as-a-crutch thing. 

But if you have a legitimate diagnosis, you have rights and you should probably be exercising them. 

I'm seeing a potential issue here though. When you started your job, as part of the hiring process, you may have been presented with paperwork asking you if you have a federally recognized disability under the ADA. On this form, you would have had to check either [YES] or [NO].

Do you recall filling out such a form?

If so: did you or did you not indicate that you have an ADA-recognized disability? 

Edited by Shoblongoo

@Shoblongoo brought up some really good points and you should give the ADA a look for your own benefit.  While I don't have Autism I do have Type 1 diabetes which causes me problems as well so I know the feeling of not wanting to tell people you have a problem.  It does help if you let some people know you do have issues though, and having a chat with your higher ups may help you be able to work better.

I suggest taking to advice of the above to users. Also if you find it hard to explain to people about the situation in person, I suggest writing to them instead. Explaining your situation on writing could be easier than in person.

I also understand not wanting to use your autism as a crutch. I have anxiety and for a long time I wanted to keep a secret since I didn't want it to interfere with my school, however after I had a panic attack while doing some public speaking I found it best to explain to my teachers about my anxiety and that made it easier for them to accommodate for me.

I understand it is not something you may not want to do, but I would suggest it since your Assistant Manager could report you to her higher up and you could potentially be fired without them knowing the full situation.

7 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

I'm seeing a potential issue here though. When you started your job, as part of the hiring process, you may have been presented with paperwork asking you if you have a federally recognized disability under the ADA. On this form, you would have had to check either [YES] or [NO].

If so: did you or did you not indicate that you have an ADA-recognized disability? 

I believe I did fill out something to that extend for my last job, but not for this one. It might be due to working for just a small mom and papas store instead of a franchise business (Which my last job was) 

I believe I answered 'no' originally, but that was for my old job, not really relevant to my current one.

Edited by Elincia

On 06/07/2017 at 0:12 PM, Shoblongoo said:

...you're ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) protected if you disclose your autism, and your employer can make reasonable accommodations for it.

...you're subject to termination-for-cause if your employer neither knows nor has reason to know of a protected disability, and thinks any issues you're having with responsiveness to workplace communications is just plain inattentiveness or lack of care.

I get the whole not-wanting-to-use-the-disability-as-a-crutch thing. 

But if you have a legitimate diagnosis, you have rights and you should probably be exercising them. 

Really? Because then I think she could explain her situation to her superior (not the abusive one, but her actual employer) without fear of being fired due to her disability, which IMO would be the best course of action.

Using disability as a crutch is largely different from standing up for your rights. In this case, she's suffering abuse. Therefore, it's her right to request that she receive better treatment in her job. This would be the case even if she didn't have autism.

I see no need for disclosing that you have autism, unless it is directly affecting your performance in work, which doesn't seem to be the case (other than the co-worker issue). If it isn't, it doesn't matter regardless if you have rights that grant you certain privileges or not.

I agree with the above poster that you could just talk with your managers about it. I know, you said it is difficult, but look at your post and you will see at least 50% of what you could tell them about your work issue, which is a very good start. Why don't you try writing an ideal "speech" to your manager? Can you approach them and ask to talk to them calmly and in private? Maybe then you could even say that you're "not very good with explaining the whole situation, but it is affecting your work and you really need something to be done about it".

Edited by Rapier