New demo with new characters

FuranSuwa

23 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

But Robin is more than a mage. His class is known for both swords and magic as Lissa points out after the prologue. Ideally, he should use both.

He doesn't use swords and magic at the same time in gameplay, though.   His 'iconic' weapon is magic, which is why both base Robins are mages in FEH (alternate Robins so far have all been physical), why he came with a tome as an amiibo character in Fates (he could still equip swords there, just didn't have a unique sword), and why his first moveset that we get to see for this game is magic.

Like I said in the post you quoted, he may still be able to equip swords in FEW, and have a different moveset then.  Given that they've said they're using FE mechanics as the base, it makes perfect sense for the tome moveset to not use swords as they are separate weapons that aren't equipped at the same time.  The only instances of a character using a weapon from outside the moveset so far are musou attacks:  Chrom throws a lance during his Falchion musou (I think) and according to this thread Robin uses a Levin Sword for his tome musou.

I don't think we know enough to state 'Robin doesn't have swords' at this time.

Edit:  FWIW, I consider Robin as a mage that can use swords, not a magic swordsman nor a swordsman that uses magic.  His primary weapon is the magic, and the sword is a backup.  Depictions outside of Awakening that focus on magic (usually due to design constraints) make sense to me, and don't diminish the character, because the characterization was primarily focused on the mage side of the class, not the swordsman side.

Edited by YotsuMaboroshi

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Arthur97 said:

So is there any footage of this? I want to see Lucina for myself. I'm afraid people may write her off due to Sword bias.

I'v been checking French video game websites, but there is no footage of the game. I asked to my friends who went the other days if they could film some parts and am still waiting for it. It is possible that taking videos at the booth is forbidden. Lucina was a nice character, fast and easy to control (I finished the demo with her)

Just now, FuranSuwa said:

I'v been checking French video game websites, but there is no footage of the game. I asked to my friends who went the other days if they could film some parts and am still waiting for it. It is possible that taking videos at the booth is forbidden. Lucina was a nice character, fast and easy to control (I finished the demo with her)

Fast is good. Some of my least favorite characters/weapons to use in HW were things like the summoning gate that left you way too open for way too long.

15 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

To add to this, it's easier to have Robin use magic in cinematic sequences because it looks better than slashing/stabbing in first person perspective. Furthermore, it makes it easier to hide Robin's all too variable face outside of first person perspective. And lastly, magic with its whole wisdom and being on the backline thing tends to align better with being a strategist than a sword does.

The problem with the Levin Sword is that it's a magical sword, which in FE means it really isn't that much of a sword at all, given 95% of them deal physical damage. Furthermore, the Bronze Sword is a weaker fallback, Robin's stronger and therefore truer blade is the Levin Sword.

While it is true that the Levin Sword is a magical Sword, in Smash Robin used it as a regular sword so I feel that it doesn't make it only a magical sword. Also I don't feel that Bronze Sword is only a fall back. While it is true that Levin sword is his main sword, his bronze sword is what lets him juggle and lead into his magic. Robin is more about using all your tools effectively so I don't really consider anything in his arsenal to be less important than anything else 

Just saw the video on the front page. Lissa looks alright, but Lucina... ugh. I'm preeetty sure she was one of IS' special requests-- a lot of her attacks look ripped straight from Chrom with one or two of Marth's thrown in.

Robin's normals were a bit surprising (didn't expect them to behave like throwing knives), though his second musou... that's a mystic art right there.

I feel a little bit dissapointed with the levin sword being Robin's special attack, I kind of hoped tapping into Grima's power, I knew it was unlikely due to it being spoilers, and more now that we know that they are from the beginnig of awakening, but still...

On 7/9/2017 at 5:56 PM, The DanMan said:

Just saw the video on the front page. Lissa looks alright, but Lucina... ugh. I'm preeetty sure she was one of IS' special requests-- a lot of her attacks look ripped straight from Chrom with one or two of Marth's thrown in.

Robin's normals were a bit surprising (didn't expect them to behave like throwing knives), though his second musou... that's a mystic art right there.

Which is what I feared about Lucina's inclusion: She's pretty much toxic to the roster when it comes to movesets. She's this weird character whose base design boils down to Rule 63 Marth with Chrom's version of the Falchion. She was better off as an alt for either Marth or Chrom. If only she was designed as a Wyvern Lord or something different when Awakening was released...

Sure, a short demo isn't the best example of showing off a moveset but what I've seen so far is...pretty disappointing. 

Robin, on the other hand, looks great. 

27 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

Which is what I feared about Lucina's inclusion: She's pretty much toxic to the roster when it comes to movesets. She's this weird character whose base design boils down to Rule 63 Marth with Chrom's version of the Falchion. She was better off as an alt for either Marth or Chrom. If only she was designed as a Wyvern Lord or something different when Awakening was released...

Yeah that doesn't sound like hyperbole at all. From what I can tell she looks fine as it is but I rather try it hands-on for the sake of a better argument.

Edited by Zangetsu

26 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

Sure, a short demo isn't the best example of showing off a moveset but what I've seen so far is...pretty disappointing. 

Robin, on the other hand, looks great. 

Could you be any more hateful? You were already wrong about both the roster and her inclusion anyways. Are you sure you're not just bitter?

Edited by Arthur97

2 hours ago, Arthur97 said:

Could you be any more hateful? You were already wrong about both the roster and her inclusion anyways. Are you sure you're not just bitter?

Take it as you will. I'd be saying the same thing even on characters like Navarre, Hinata or Lon'qu and them acting similar to Ryoma in battle if they're included in FE Warriors. They'd be toxic to the current roster. I am simply giving my honest thoughts on the matter. 

Edited by Lord-Zero

3 hours ago, Lord-Zero said:

The big issue with Lucina is the inconsistent way she's portrayed in the games.

MEANT to be a character who fights so similarly to Chrom that he is capable of recognising it as such, yet has an entirely different fighting style in her animations, and this issue only gets compounded once Marth enters the mix and she seemingly fights identical to HIM as opposed to her father, the one who taught her.

Either way it would have been a mess since she's meant to have a fighting style extremely close to that of Marth or Chrom. It's kind of why she was low on my list of Awakening reps for this game, but I guess insane popularity across the board'll get you in.

Hopefully there's more to her than a mish-mash.

24 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

Take it as you will. I'd be saying the same thing even on characters like Navarre, Hinata or Lon'qu and them acting similar to Ryoma in battle if they're included in FE Warriors. They'd be toxic to the current roster. I am simply giving my honest thoughts on the matter. 

I feel like they could get away with ONE more Myrmidon/Swordmaster rep, but even then that's stretching it. Maybe give one a wind sword? Then again their games don't even have that weapon, so I guess that's out.

@DaloDask: It's like IS doesn't know how to make her stand out from Marth or Chrom. This is a character that wants to be both but does so very awkwardly. Sure, popularity helps but the resulting character is such an inconsistent mess. 

I could see one of the Myrmidons making the cut but Ryoma would just out-perform them. Maybe Navarre due to OG status. 

On 7/8/2017 at 10:32 AM, FuranSuwa said:

Check my article theres some there 

https://serenesforest.net/2017/07/09/french-japan-expo-shows-off-awakening-warriors/

Everybody complaining about Lucina, meanwhile I'm just crossing my fingers more for Ike since if popularity can get Awakening's poster girl in, popularity could get the also super popular Radiant Hero in! (even if it's DLC in his case)

Edited by Anacybele

8 hours ago, Lord-Zero said:

JEHiiIo.gif

10 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

Ike? With the current flood of sword users, I'd rather have the Urvan-wielding version of him. 

Except you just can't have Ike without his signature sword, Ragnell. I expect him to have Urvan too though, if he's in, since it should be RD Ike due to him having an Amiibo and axe wielding ability. Plus he had both Ragnell and Urvan in Codename Steam too!

Edited by Anacybele

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Except you just can't have Ike without his signature sword, Ragnell. I expect him to have Urvan too though, if he's in, since it should be RD Ike due to him having an Amiibo and axe wielding ability. Plus he had both Ragnell and Urvan in Codename Steam too!

I understand that part. The problem lies with the current roster's issue with special attacks looking mostly the same as well as the flood of sword users. Ike being another sword user is bad for the current vanilla roster. Considering his popularity, he's a great choice for DLC. Urvan is a must. 

3 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

I understand that part. The problem lies with the current roster's issue with special attacks looking mostly the same as well as the flood of sword users. Ike being another sword user is bad for the current vanilla roster. Considering his popularity, he's a great choice for DLC. Urvan is a must. 

I actually do hope Ike gets both weapons and his many outfits through at least DLC and his Amiibo. His Amiibo is just BEGGING to unlock costumes and stuff for him! And Koei doesn't need to worry about thinking of costumes for him, he has enough outfits to give him a good wardobe between PoR, RD, Awakening DLC, and soon CYL in Heroes if it's got notable enough differences!

Edited by Anacybele

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

I actually do hope Ike gets both weapons and his many outfits through at least DLC and his Amiibo. His Amiibo is just BEGGING to unlock costumes and stuff for him!

By all means he should have both weapons. Unlocking costumes via amiibo seems unlikely at the moment but maybe Koei can prove me wrong and actually do it. If this is anything like HW, FE amiibo would just give random weapons for specific characters while other amiibo would just give random gold, weapons and materials. 

2 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

By all means he should have both weapons. Unlocking costumes via amiibo seems unlikely at the moment but maybe Koei can prove me wrong and actually do it. If this is anything like HW, FE amiibo would just give random weapons for specific characters while other amiibo would just give random gold, weapons and materials. 

Yeah, I said "and stuff" too, so unlocking weapons is a definite possibility.

As long as they take the 1 gold option out, I'm happy with whatever amiibo end up doing.

I'm still holding out that the Amiibo characters are playable, just for Roy. It may explain Lucina, because while more popular than Chrom I'm not sure both were needed. I'm pretty whatever on her, but robin/Lucina match up with the amiibo line, so here's hoping.

32 minutes ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

As long as they take the 1 gold option out, I'm happy with whatever amiibo end up doing.

I'm still holding out that the Amiibo characters are playable, just for Roy. It may explain Lucina, because while more popular than Chrom I'm not sure both were needed. I'm pretty whatever on her, but robin/Lucina match up with the amiibo line, so here's hoping.

But it looks like they're making an entirely new line which means that Robin, Lucina, and Marth are probably getting new ones so why inlude them because they already had one?