Final Fantasy XIV

Does anyone here play? If so what is your character name and server?

I saw a thread for this but it hasn't been updated since last year.

I've been playing since the old 1.0 days and I'm having a blast with ARR. Just completed the main quest for Stormblood and the story was incredible. Red mage is my favorite job and I'm so glad the developers did it justice.

My character at the moment.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been playing since the ARR early access. My first character was a Monk on Diabolos. Then I took a long break in between ARR and HW, and by then, I had a different group of online friends that played on Faerie, so I made a Monk, and that was my character up until the end of SB, and got to level 70 with that Monk. But by SB's release, all of the people I played on Faerie with were mostly gone, so I had 0 motivation to play any end-game content.

So I went back to my Diabolos character, where I'm currently 66 Monk/60 Astrologian and working on the SB content again, and I've found a good group back there. Plus, I don't have to share a Data Center with Balmung or Gilgamesh, so that's nice.

Edited by Slumber

The NA servers were really messed up the first week of SB due to a DDoS attack. Most people couldn't get past the first two solo instances because of it. Balmung and Gilgamesh had the worst issues to the point where the developers have to occasionally log everyone out in those servers because people were using methods to get around the AFK kick timer.

9 hours ago, CallieCat said:

The NA servers were really messed up the first week of SB due to a DDoS attack. Most people couldn't get past the first two solo instances because of it. Balmung and Gilgamesh had the worst issues to the point where the developers have to occasionally log everyone out in those servers because people were using methods to get around the AFK kick timer.

Those issues were data center-wide, so any world on the same data centers as Balmung and Gilgamesh experienced the same problems with congestion that those two did. Which is partly why I wanted to get off Faerie and go back to Diabolos, since Primal doesn't have nearly the same population issues Aether does. It took me 3 days to get past Raubahn.

Edited by Slumber

I'm also on Primal, on Behemoth, and the Raubahn EX pain and salt was real! It was pretty bad, so I ended up leveling my gatherers during early access instead of running instances. But after that first weekend it cleared up and queues were very stable even on a higher population server like Behemoth.

I have a level 70 WHM, 70 in gatherers, 70 BSM and nearing that for the rest of my crafters. I'm also working on getting my PLD to 70 as well.

My Lodestone page

On 7/9/2017 at 7:33 PM, Samias said:

I'm also on Primal, on Behemoth, and the Raubahn EX pain and salt was real! It was pretty bad, so I ended up leveling my gatherers during early access instead of running instances. But after that first weekend it cleared up and queues were very stable even on a higher population server like Behemoth.

I have a level 70 WHM, 70 in gatherers, 70 BSM and nearing that for the rest of my crafters. I'm also working on getting my PLD to 70 as well.

My Lodestone page

You can always tell who subscribes for more than a month or two around expansion releases. My highest level crafter is 30, and only two classes in total that are 60 or above.

I'm getting a lot more into FFXIV this time around, though, so I might continue subbing for more than I have in the past.

Edited by Slumber

Yeah, it's probably my favourite game right now. Since the level cap has increased and there's new gathering/crafting things to do, it's a good way to make a boatload of gil. When Heavensward launched I had my lucis tools for gatherers and melded gear before even having decent gear for my main combat class, so I'm pretty in to the side stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Metal Rabbit said:

Do we already have a heart shaped bed with tiger stripe design? If not, it'll be the hot ticket item among roleplayers this fall.

It has to rotate and/or vibrate to really appeal to people.

very nice. noone in our FC has good design sense so our place looks a little lackluster. the most interesting it looked was when HW was just released and i managed to get a weird visual bug after doing ravana.

i told people the house was on fire. they didn't believe me.

ffxiv_06242015_231020.png

10 hours ago, Samias said:

Speaking of housing items, I finally crafted a tier 4 aquarium and did a little "construction" around it.

oLB7HTW.png

People won't stop clipping into the aquarium in our FC house.

10 minutes ago, Metal Rabbit said:

Why did maintenance start early tonight. I wasn't able to cap.

Glad I didn't get back on to do my Ixal quests. I've had a few friends complaining that they've gotten kicked early.

Yup, it was a very early maint. Kinda sucked since today was my day off from work thanks to a provincial long weekend. I had to cap in the morning.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/28053f7fa83022c6b203fdcfbd32b042fee8619c

There's a few minor buffs to dragoon, ninja (barely), bard (QOL), machinist (overheat doesn't suck anymore) and summoner (HAHAHAHA ;-;)

1 hour ago, Samias said:

Yup, it was a very early maint. Kinda sucked since today was my day off from work thanks to a provincial long weekend. I had to cap in the morning.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/28053f7fa83022c6b203fdcfbd32b042fee8619c

There's a few minor buffs to dragoon, ninja (barely), bard (QOL), machinist (overheat doesn't suck anymore) and summoner (HAHAHAHA ;-;)

It was funny. I was talking to one of my FC members on Discord, airing my grievances about Dragoon, about how I don't like playing it and how I much prefer something mobile like Monk. And he said "Well, Dragoons have positionals too and have to jump a bunch", but my argument was more that Dragoons really can just stand in one place without much of a damage loss compared to Monk.

Literally about 30 minutes later, the patch notes dropped, and he pointed out that the "buffs" to Dragoon basically amount to penalties for missed positionals being even less harsh. He seemed pretty upset about it. He's also upset because the buffs also don't really do anything to increase the upper-damage limit of the Dragoon, which is far and away at the bottom of the melee DPS right now.

Also, I'm like, 99% certain now that Monk is the ONLY class that hasn't been touched since SB came out.

Edited by Slumber

They did make positionals less punishing but I was under the impression that heavy thrust, fang and claw and wheeling thrust are just straight up buffs. This should bring dragoon above ninja but remain in line with the idea that dragoons are on the more supportive side of the melee spectrum still. It isn't a huge buff but dragoons and ninjas were also close in personal damage in Heavensward, and dragoon was a meta shoe-in anyway.

Edit: ok, it really is just a buff to missed positional potencies. However the current raid tier has a lot of situations where you must remain still and potentially miss a positional so this is still a buff.

Also I get the feeling monk adjustments will occur in 4.1 or not at all, as monks have been doing very well in the current raid tier with Brotherhood and Mantra. Their damage is great, but Tackle Mastery and Riddle of Earth are somewhat meaningless compared to what people expected. I'd like to see a greased lightning refresh that doesn't reply on getting hit first!

Edited by Samias

On 8/8/2017 at 4:19 AM, Samias said:

Also I get the feeling monk adjustments will occur in 4.1 or not at all, as monks have been doing very well in the current raid tier with Brotherhood and Mantra. Their damage is great, but Tackle Mastery and Riddle of Earth are somewhat meaningless compared to what people expected. I'd like to see a greased lightning refresh that doesn't reply on getting hit first!

I'm kind of glad that Monks haven't gotten much in the way of changes outside of buffs/nerfs. One thing I like about it is that it's one of the few classes that plays nearly identically now as it did 4 years ago. Obviously, now there's a bit more to think about with Forbidden Chakra, Brotherhood, Formshift and Riddle of Fire, but these are things that don't come up that often(And then Tornado Kick being a mini-LB to end fights/phases), but by and large, it's the same rotations with really nothing new to shake anything up.

I remember people on Reddit freaking out about Monk when the pre-SB patch notes(Last time Monk got any sort of change) when half of their basic rotations got damage nerfs, crying "This was supposed to be the Monk expansion, now they're useless, who is going to use Riddle of Fire?! Brotherhood will only be good with multiple Monks!", and yet Monk is still fairly competitive with Ninja, the best utility melee, and Samurai, the best personal DPS melee(I think the first group to clear Omega Savage had a Samurai main who decided to switch to Monk to clear it, actually). I think if it didn't get the nerfs it got at the SB launch, it would have made Samurai pretty obsolete, which is a bad way to incentivize people playing a new class.

Anyway. Currently leveling crafters and gatherers for the first time. The dependence all of them have on each other makes it such a mind-boggling chore if you don't want to waste all of your money on the MB.

Edited by Slumber

Yeah I think most jobs are in a pretty good place. Even summoner and machinist are only a little behind black mage/bard, with most complaints bring not about numbers but about the feel of how they play. Devotion for sure needs a rework and thr backend AI of pets certainly needs to be addressed sooner rather than later. Machinists could get their old heat values back to bring Cooldown back into use. Even dragoon is coming back into favour as they realize an extremely good bard and machinist can top the dps charts thanks to their incredible uptime on bosses.

I have a soft spot for crafting/gathering. I actually finished my 2 star melds as of late so I can dive into production of 320 gear and endgame raid foods if I wanted.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2017 at 5:51 PM, Samias said:

Yeah I think most jobs are in a pretty good place. Even summoner and machinist are only a little behind black mage/bard, with most complaints bring not about numbers but about the feel of how they play. Devotion for sure needs a rework and thr backend AI of pets certainly needs to be addressed sooner rather than later. Machinists could get their old heat values back to bring Cooldown back into use. Even dragoon is coming back into favour as they realize an extremely good bard and machinist can top the dps charts thanks to their incredible uptime on bosses.

I have a soft spot for crafting/gathering. I actually finished my 2 star melds as of late so I can dive into production of 320 gear and endgame raid foods if I wanted.

I was debating on whether I wanted to level Bard or Machinist, and I decided to go with Bard.

I needed a new class to level to take my mind off of crafting. I've been going at it for a solid 3 weeks now, and nearly have 4 of them to 50(Weaver, Blacksmith and Carpenter are 50+, Leatherworker is 45), and Miner and Botanist are both 50+. So I'm at a decent spot to where I don't have to spend much to level them. But doing Ixal quests is so mind numbing at times. Can't wait until I'm out from under their oppressive space program and can pledge myself to the fluffy flying pigs in HW.

I really like how the new design of bard really integrates their songs into their rotation, compared to how it used to be foe's requiem and nothing else and how terribly clunky wanderer's minuet used to be as a stance. Good times. I'm currently trying to level black mage but the loss of old sound cues and the enochian buff icon has made things surprisingly difficult as I can't identify when I'm accidentally using the wrong skill anymore! I may need to change my button groupings to not accidentally bump ice spells in the wrong stance anymore, or something. I hope 4.1 at least brings back sound cues for when I *drop* a stance, since I got used to red mage having great audio and visual queues for when my bars were charging and it felt so natural.

And yeah, crafting is pretty hard to start until everything gets to 50 and you have a huge stable and cross class abilities. It's great at max level and Stormblood has made things more engaging and fun on that end than ever but it's a huge hurdle to even get started.

I did some Susano farming as well and got the dog on my 3rd successful run. Kind of incredible! I ran into an amazing samurai player who was party leader and super chill and was fantastic overall. I surprised myself with some good optimized healing and damage dealing too. They were even from my server so I hit em up on the friends list. Pretty rad.