Do you want an avatar & S-rank supports? (Poll)

397 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want an avatar?

• Yes.
    • No.
  2. 2. Do you want S-rank supports?

• Yes.
    • No.

8 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

No to an avatar. 

Yes to S-support...but on conditions. Make it more like GBA where it doesn't result in playable kids and is just post-game marriage, and limit who can marry who.

And add in some platonic pairings too. I loved those in Blazing Blade and Sacred Stones.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said yes to both, but I'd like them to be improved upon.

For the avatar- as most people have said, less plot relevance is probably a good idea, though I don't think it's likely. In general I enjoy having an avatar in games but not if the plot and characters have to suffer for it.

More customisation is always good too. Dare I say, some skin tone options? If Pokemon can do it so can FE.

As for S supports, I think what's really needed is quality over quantity and not the other way around. If there are less supports, that's fine as long as the ones that are there make sense and are written well. More variety would be welcome too (more platonic supports as well as romantic ones). And when it comes to romantic supports, if they developed more naturally from c to s that'd be great. (Also no more avatar-sexual characters k thx)

Yes to the avatar, if it is akin to New Mystery of the Emblem in that the world didn't revolve around them and you could choose from a variety of classes, base stats, and stat growths. I also liked how the avatar was more or less just another character on the roster than the lead.

Also, I'm down for S ranked Supports, but not children(exclusions do apply). If S ranks are just a powerful bond characters can only hold with one other, I'll love it. However, If it is for children I want no deep realms bullocky and something like Genealogy where having children made sense and you had to make them good because you couldn't rely on the adults you were working on in the first gen.  If they do not have a somewhat tangible reason for being in the game I want no children units.

once again, make the avatar less plot relevant and we're cool. Frankly i think it'd be cool to see the avatar as someones second hand like kris/marth or chrom/robin (reiterating the fact i want them to hold less plot relevance so moreso like the former than the latter). P sure it wont happen but dialogue options/some sort of personality customization would also be great. Love the s-support mechanic bc im a filthy shipper but definitely dont wanna see kids anymore.

I love, LOVE avatar characters. Ever since I was a kid I’ve always imagined a unique character in every game I’ve played, so I love the idea. I’m a writer so I love creating characters, so I never usually make “me” just a new character.

I also was a huge fan of Robin. He had a unique and fun personality and I got to customize his looks and made him into a powerful mage knight character (my favorite!) and I loved his plot relevance and story.

Fates avatar was awful. Like....trash. Having the avatar also be the main character was a terrible decision because it didn’t even feel like a character I got to create. 

So if it’s like Awakening. Yes please. Or even Heroes. Or even less plot relevant than Awakening, but just with a good personality. Also....skin tone. Like come on. Not everyone is white, it’s so exhausting to always be white.

And I too, am a filthy shipper, so please S supports. Just no kids. Please no kids. Morgan was literally the perfect daughter and nobody can top my angel so I don’t even want them to try.

On 1/9/2018 at 1:55 AM, Zangetsu said:

Huh, I was under the impression people hates avatars.

Didn't think it was so divisive.

I think it's because people who like Avatars don't feel the need to voice their opinon, and won't be too upset if they're not included. While the people who hate avatars feel as if they are ruining the series, and are very vocal about it.

• 2 weeks later...

I said yes to both, but with improvements. To be honest, as FigurativelyDeadBoy put it, I'd like an Avatar that's just "a unit you can customise" as part of the roster. Kris was probably my personal favourite incarnation of an Avatar, even if they were still flawed. I'd be fine with no Avatar at all, though; it's just that customisation is fun.

S-supports, I feel, make supports in general a bit neater and easier -- definitely don't want to go back to the GBA A-support days. No kids unless it's like Genealogy, but I love the customisation of pairing, and that was a big attraction for me when I got into the series. I think a smaller pool would be of benefit, with paired endings, rather than "hey, let's just get married while we're in the middle of a war!" That also leaves room for the possibility of more same-sex S supports.

• 2 weeks later...

I chose no for both, simply because it's unlikely either will meet what I'd like to see for them. For Avatars, I'd like to see something akin to Mark, where the avatar doesn't have his own real personality, more just had people talk to him and such, but more relevant than Mark was.  I'd also love to see that same mark-like character play a tactician on the battlefield too, to make him/her more of an in-game presence. 

For S- support so mostly just want to see more diversity in the kind of s-supports. I want to see people like Clive and Mathilda who have one person they can s-rank with. I want to see other people who have a few different choices but well played. In these instances though, I'd like to see better written supports. Like, both characters don't need to immediately profess their love. Have the S-support be one character confessing, and then the other character not be immediately in love but also no opposed to it. Then reveal they did end up together in the epilogue, something like that. I want S-supportz that work like real confessions do, wherein not every confession of love immediately results in marriage, or even dating. Maybe have someone proclaim their love in the S-support, and have the other person tell them they have to prove their love first or something like that. I don't know.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't mind S-rank supports, as long as they aren't like the 3DS games where anyone can S-support with anyone.

I voted "no" on avatars because I don't think there's a way to really make them all that interesting. If the avatar fills a role in the story that isn't the lord or a quasi-lord like Kris or Robin then that would be fine. In line with this, having a "you're a cool dude" custom avatar class like Tactician or Nohr Prince/ss is not something I'd like to see again - let me be a class of my choosing from the get-go!

personally I'm split on the idea of an avatar. on one hand they're great for replay ability and I just love character creation in general but at the same time from a writing stand point IS has yet to prove they can make it work. I liked how robin was handled but corrin did not need to be an avatar and was handled very poorly.

Yes to S-supports. Mainly because I don't wanna be restricted to one A rank per play through. However I will agree that the whole everyone S-supports everyone was pretty bad. I propose a compromise like if S-supports were handled like A+ supports in fates. In that they're just sort of there and don't lead to a 4th conversation where we get three platonic supports and then suddenly romance. It let's us ship the characters we want without sacrificing the quality of the C-A supports and it doesn't needlessly restrict the amount of supports we can get per playthrough like the GBA titles. Also for same gendered platonic we could just keep the A+ system. 

I like the idea of having both the avatar and S supports since I find them both fun, and not a problem in and of themselves. It's just execution I'd worry about, like others here have mentioned. I'd worry about the quality of the writing and (to a much lesser degree) overall customizability more than anything.

It'd be cool if they'd let you customize your avatar to make them a trap or reverse-trap, which might affect who you can or can not S support with. It makes sense since people have varied physical tastes in mates, which can make the difference between whether or not they can be attracted to you romantically. It's true to life and would be a nice step forward in accepting the varied sexualities and gender identities there are. 

Guest Dreamyboi

I voted no for Avatars because I'm against the idea of uninteresting, blank slate, self insert characters stealing screentime from actual characters that could use that time for development. I don't trust them to be their own characters either because they're avatars.

To put it in the words of one of my IRL friends: "Well of course they're going to be a lame character, they're self inserts. You're meant to put yourself in their shoes and imagine yourself doing all the cool stuff they do, it's empowerment fantasy. You wouldn't want your empowerment fantasy to start challenging you or criticizing you or expect you to grow as a person would you? That's reality. Naw that'd make the player feel bad and have to think, so instead everyone around you loves you unconditionally and you have a special ability or potential no one else has and the villains you fight are all one sided to make you feel righteous."  

As for S Supports, I'm voting no on those too. If they make a return then no doubt child units will come back too and I'm sick of those. I'd rather the support conversations be focussed on characterization than try to build toward an abrupt romance that makes no sense. Robin x Tharja anyone? 

The Awakening formula can rest in piece, it was already brought back for Fates and we all know how that turned out, it does not need to appear again.

Guest Dreamyboi

okay there must be a glitch because this is the second post I've had to edit

Edited by Dreamyboi

Avatars: No. The fact that the developers would have to account for so many different personalities in a single character would make it impossible for the developers to make it good. Self-inserts work in games where there is no moral grey and it is obvious what one should do (like, say, a dating sim), but Fire Emblem is NOT one of those games. I'd rather have a pre-defined Lord character as the protagonist than a half-assed self-insert Mary Sue.

S-Support: Yes, but NO CHILD UNITS. I don't want a fourth eugenics emblem! I like how the GBA games handled variable marriage options, and I feel that method should continue.

I'd prefer no to both an avatar and S-ranks/marriage. The concept of an avatar isn't bad, but IS has shown that they really don't know how to write one. FE in general doesn't feel like the type of story where an avatar really adds much, because FE has such a huge cast of characters already. A blank slate avatar isn't really fun for me, if FE is going to give me lots of non-avatar characters, I want to know more about them. not some tool that's supposed to make me feel good but really does nothing for me. Avatars work better in games like Pokemon and Etrian Odyssey, where the story is background to the gameplay and your character(s) is(are) the only playable ones that exist. (And even then, some of these games still have the worshipping-the-player problem.) While I would understand if the avatar came back again at some point, I'd really like it if not every new FE game had to have an avatar. Could we at least get some games that don't have an avatar? It's boring to have self-insert after self-insert over and over again.

S-supports are really just shoehorned in the way they worked in Awakening and Fates, as was marriage. I'm opposed to them the way they were implemented in FE13/14, but if they did not come with children and only let certain characters S-support one another, I'd be fine with it.

I would love to see the Avatar/My Unit mechanic completely ditched and go back to simply having a protagonist who serves as a Lord unit. 

From a story perspective, the My Units in their respective games have caused far more damage to the stories than any of the benefits. Dialogue is changed in FE3 and given to Kris instead. In Awakening, Robin steals away much of the spotlight from Chrom and we don't get a lot of character development with a number of characters who just revolve around the Avatar exclusively. This is ramped up on steroids in Fates. Fates could've easily had two Lords for their respective routes - Xander and Ryoma, but it's all shot down by having a My Unit in there. I like to think that both of them missed out on better character building since the storyline had to revolve all around the Avatar as the protagonist. Just when you thought Robin was the biggest Mary Sue in the series, Corrin proves to be 100X worse. Fates had a lot of interesting characters who could've had time to shine and build on characterization, if they didn't exclusively revolve around Corrin (which is only done just for the waifu system). 

As far as gameplay goes, the Avatar/My Unit tends to be overpowered and is a wrecking ball of a unit. Just look at how powerful Robin is in Awakening and how powerful you can make Lucina if Robin is her mom. Taking them out of the game could make things more strategic. In Fates: Birthright, most of the game can be soloed with just Corrin and Ryoma together. 

If there's going to be an Avatar, at least do it like FE7 did with Mark and just the tactician who we never see. Mark didn't steal the spotlight from Eliwood, Lyn or Hector by any means. 

S Support Ranks can be ditched too. I would like to see Support ranks limited again like they were done in Echoes. Some of the S ranks are so badly written and almost embarrassing to listen to. I wish the entire Waifu system could be ditched. In Awakening, it was used to produce overpowered kid units who usually totally outshine their parents once you get them and can turn the rest of the game into a breeze. I didn't even use the second generation in Fates since the whole 'deep realms' thing was so poorly and laughably written. The only game where the second generation has worked is FE4, and in that one it matters a lot who you pair up since it decides unit growths. 

Neither really, although both could work with some tweaking as is no. If they're going to have an avatar it should be a side character and if there's S supports they shouldn't feel so forced like they often do.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Dragonage2ftw said:

Both.

If these didn't exist, FE would be dead.

Bring these back, + children units.

I'm 110% sure it'll obviously come back (thank god to me) only thing buying me over till the game is the Summoner/Ally support in Heroes since I love it and its awesome for me plus I'm a otaku at heart so no wonder it got me back to FE lol!

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn