What characters do you want?

Denomon

2 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

You do know that Henry is as popular as Leo & Takumi right?

Then again so is Dorcas, so make that of what you will.

Henry is stupid-popular.

But Tharja is stupider-popularer. I can't see us getting two Awakening Dark Mages.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

Henry is stupid-popular.

But Tharja is stupider-popularer. I can't see us getting two Awakening Dark Mages.

I can with the mindset on how shallow someone can behind on IS anything is predictable.    >:)

Shadow Dragon: Caeda, Cain, Abel, but they're all pretty popular so they're basically in.

AwakeningLon'qu, Tharja, and Priam. I know they want less sword users so I wouldn't be surprised if Lon'qu and Priam didn't make the cut. I feel like Tharja is popular enough to make it in though. Also maybe Masked Marth as a costume for Lucina.

Fates: Takumi, Elise, Azura, Hinoka, and Arthur. I can easily see Takumi, Hinoka, and Azura being added in due to importance to Fates and the fact that Takumi has a legendary weapon that would make for some cool attacks. I can also see Elise in based on War Cleric Lissa. I just love Arthur but doubt he'll make it in.

OtherDLC is always a possibility right? For the love of god please give me Ike and Nino. ;~; I'd also really want Roy, Alm, and Celica.

32 minutes ago, Snivy.Link said:

I really want Azura, but I'm worried that with us having 5 Awakening characters (assuming that's it for Awakening) Leo and Takumi will be the rest of the Fates roster.

That won't be it for Awakening. Realize that there's almost 2 months until the game releases in Japan, they wouldn't show off the entire roster for a section this early. There's also the part where the devs said the game rosters won't be evened out.

Azura has a good chance, I think. She has a niche in being one of the rare Lance Infantry units, besides being a hyper important character. It'd be hard to have representation for Fates without including her in some form. I'd argue not having her would be more detrimental than not having Corrin, storywise.

Edited by BlizzardWolf95

I'd like Arthur to get into the game. If there needs to be a more wacky character then I can think of no one better then him. His clumsiness and his probably desire to do heroic poses and give heroic grins would make plenty of potential for a good moveset. 

I think his choice would be fairly uncontroversial. Arthur's probably not widely beloved but people generally seem to be okay with him and I think they would agree that how Arthur is would make him fit pretty natural in the slot of joke character. 

I don't think we'll have a "joke" character. Hyrule Warriors didn't have any, as Agitha was just many of the developer's favorites. I don't think they would add in a character, solely to fulfill some obligation that there has to be a joke character. Especially when you could give most of the moveset to Charlotte, should they choose to add characters past all of the royals.

38 minutes ago, Pokechu said:

I don't think we'll have a "joke" character. Hyrule Warriors didn't have any, as Agitha was just many of the developer's favorites. I don't think they would add in a character, solely to fulfill some obligation that there has to be a joke character. Especially when you could give most of the moveset to Charlotte, should they choose to add characters past all of the royals.

Isn't the great fairy technically a joke character, seeing a she tortures Links in her special moves? And then came Tingle in the DLC. I think Arthur being a joke would give him an edge against Charlotte because she's to minor a character without the joke character status to make her fill into a special roster niche. But realistically speaking I think we get some of the royals and only Kaze when it comes to recruiting outside the royals.

2 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Isn't the great fairy technically a joke character, seeing a she tortures Links in her special moves? And then came Tingle in the DLC. I think Arthur being a joke would give him an edge against Charlotte because she's to minor a character without the joke character status to make her fill into a special roster niche. But realistically speaking I think we get some of the royals and only Kaze when it comes to recruiting outside the royals.

Well, those are technically still usable (well, I never used Tingle and I hate using the fairy) so I guess it depends on your definition of joke character.

The Great Fairy is kind of the worst moveset... but though it's hilarious, I don't really think of it as a joke character moveset. Tingle probably is, though not in the "his moveset is crap" way.

30 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I wouldn't consider Tingle a joke character, considering how he's pretty prevalent in Zelda compared to most characters. And the Great Fairy being a joke character, I guess it depends on your definition? Charlotte's pretty popular, enough to get her 9th place in the Fates popularity poll. Regardless, I think Fates will just get all 10 royals and nothing more than that.

I think if there's anything to give Arthur precedence over Charlotte, it's that he's a retainer.  Then again, that could work against him, depending on how they want to build the roster.  But I'm of the same mind in that I don't want just the downright obvious choices.  Doing just royals and Corrin's retainers would be a dull choice, imo.

This might just be me but I'd rather have it be a dull choice and get all of the royals + Corrin & Azura rather than only get some of the royals and have it not be a dull choice. I wouldn't find getting all of the royals dull as they could do a lot with Elise in particular (it would be AMAZING if she used staves such as Freeze offensively). They're all crucial characters and have a lot of potential for movesets. They're all also the most popular characters (besides Oboro) and they make the most sense if Rowan/Lianna do really crossover into Fates at around Chapter 6. That's the only chapter where we see ALL of the royals. And it wouldn't make much sense to get any retainers, considering how we don't see them until after Chapter 6.

1 hour ago, Pokechu said:

This might just be me but I'd rather have it be a dull choice and get all of the royals + Corrin & Azura rather than only get some of the royals and have it not be a dull choice. I wouldn't find getting all of the royals dull as they could do a lot with Elise in particular (it would be AMAZING if she used staves such as Freeze offensively). They're all crucial characters and have a lot of potential for movesets. They're all also the most popular characters (besides Oboro) and they make the most sense if Rowan/Lianna do really crossover into Fates at around Chapter 6. That's the only chapter where we see ALL of the royals. And it wouldn't make much sense to get any retainers, considering how we don't see them until after Chapter 6.

Not actually true.  You see a lot of the retainers in the dream sequence in the prologue. 

Also, the crossover is stated to happen around the split doesn't mean that they won't do later scenes from each route.  For example, say there's a map against an overwhelming amount of monsters in the Fates world.  Elise could show up as reinforcements some time after the map starts, and then sometime after that Arthur or Effie could show up, just like like they did in Conquest Ch 7. 

It's not like the retainers stop existing just because the story hasn't introduced them yet.

Just now, YotsuMaboroshi said:

Not actually true.  You see a lot of the retainers in the dream sequence in the prologue. 

Also, the crossover is stated to happen around the split doesn't mean that they won't do later scenes from each route.  For example, say there's a map against an overwhelming amount of monsters in the Fates world.  Elise could show up as reinforcements some time after the map starts, and then sometime after that Arthur or Effie could show up, just like like they did in Conquest Ch 7. 

It's not like the retainers stop existing just because the story hasn't introduced them yet.

The prologue isn't really relevant imho. Yeah, you see them but it's the prologue, it's supposed to be a sampling of what's to come in the future. That's it.

And they chose to make the crossover at the split because they didn't want to alienate the players by choosing one route. This tells us that there may not be later scenes from each route, especially since Rowan and Lianna are going to throw everything off by coming in at such a crucial point. It'll kind of be it's own route then lol.

You're right, the retainers don't stop existing, but they'll have to try really hard to fit them in, considering how all of the royals are basically guaranteed to make an appearance. Not necessarily as playable, mind you, but if you're going to give them all models and story involvement you might as well take the extra step. Your example with Elise, Arthur and Effie makes sense but since we're seeing all of the royals (there's 10 of them, it's a lot) in some way I just don't have much faith in a retainer making it in as a playable character.

Just now, Pokechu said:

The prologue isn't really relevant imho. Yeah, you see them but it's the prologue, it's supposed to be a sampling of what's to come in the future. That's it.

And they chose to make the crossover at the split because they didn't want to alienate the players by choosing one route. This tells us that there may not be later scenes from each route, especially since Rowan and Lianna are going to throw everything off by coming in at such a crucial point. It'll kind of be it's own route then lol.

You're right, the retainers don't stop existing, but they'll have to try really hard to fit them in, considering how all of the royals are basically guaranteed to make an appearance. Not necessarily as playable, mind you, but if you're going to give them all models and story involvement you might as well take the extra step. Your example with Elise, Arthur and Effie makes sense but since we're seeing all of the royals (there's 10 of them, it's a lot) in some way I just don't have much faith in a retainer making it in as a playable character.

KT has stated an interest in remaking notable scenes from the games.  They don't have to have the exact same context as they originally did, but they can still use the scenes for each story without picking a side.  Admittedly, they can also play with the characters in each scene; using my previous example instead of Elise and her retainers, they could have Elise and one of the twins show up while you're playing the other twin.  Maybe the monsters in the scene are from the dragon that attacked Aytolis, rather than being Faceless.

Though we do know that Xander, and some others, will start out as enemies because of stuff said during the E3 segments for the game.  We're probably going to end up fighting through parts of both Conquest and Birthright (and maybe Revelations) during the plot (it'd be odd not to have some maps based on maps from each of the games anyways).

If they do use any retainers, it'll probably be no more than one per royal.  I just don't feel that they're going to limit Fates to the royals (or any of the games to just story relevant characters), though that could be baseless hype based off of the PR talk we keep getting about the roster size and picking characters from a fan's perspective.

1 minute ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:

KT has stated an interest in remaking notable scenes from the games.  They don't have to have the exact same context as they originally did, but they can still use the scenes for each story without picking a side.  Admittedly, they can also play with the characters in each scene; using my previous example instead of Elise and her retainers, they could have Elise and one of the twins show up while you're playing the other twin.  Maybe the monsters in the scene are from the dragon that attacked Aytolis, rather than being Faceless.

Though we do know that Xander, and some others, will start out as enemies because of stuff said during the E3 segments for the game.  We're probably going to end up fighting through parts of both Conquest and Birthright (and maybe Revelations) during the plot (it'd be odd not to have some maps based on maps from each of the games anyways).

If they do use any retainers, it'll probably be no more than one per royal.  I just don't feel that they're going to limit Fates to the royals (or any of the games to just story relevant characters), though that could be baseless hype based off of the PR talk we keep getting about the roster size and picking characters from a fan's perspective.

Ooo, true, they did state they had an interest in that before. It's completely possible they could remake scenes from it

The plot when Rowan/Lianna crossover onto Fates is probably going to be really complicated tbh since there's three paths they could pull from and reference. There's not much we can say about it now since we don't have much to go off of :lol:

In my opinion, it makes sense to limit Fates to the royals because they're all pretty unique and popular, and there's already 10 of them so there's not much room to add more characters. Maybe if the roster is really bigger than what we think it is there might be room for other characters, but if they've said they're picking characters from a fan's perspective then that makes the royals even likelier imho because as a fan, it makes sense to include all of the important characters of a game. Especially when they're all so different from each other. Also as a fan, it would be frustrating for there to be side characters (retainers) over important characters (royals).

34 minutes ago, Pokechu said:

Ooo, true, they did state they had an interest in that before. It's completely possible they could remake scenes from it

The plot when Rowan/Lianna crossover onto Fates is probably going to be really complicated tbh since there's three paths they could pull from and reference. There's not much we can say about it now since we don't have much to go off of :lol:

In my opinion, it makes sense to limit Fates to the royals because they're all pretty unique and popular, and there's already 10 of them so there's not much room to add more characters. Maybe if the roster is really bigger than what we think it is there might be room for other characters, but if they've said they're picking characters from a fan's perspective then that makes the royals even likelier imho because as a fan, it makes sense to include all of the important characters of a game. Especially when they're all so different from each other. Also as a fan, it would be frustrating for there to be side characters (retainers) over important characters (royals).

The only actually important royals are the brothers due to their connection to the Yato.  Two of the brothers of which have been confirmed, and one of the other two has been hinted at.  Takumi's the only one missing completely so far, but I think he's pretty likely, given that the Fujin Yumi is a lightsaber bow.

Also, keep in mind that they are 'competing' against units from other games as well, not just Fates.  KT has also stated that they wanted the weapon triangle to be a factor in the gameplay, which means they probably want some balance in the weapon types available.

- Camilla and Azura have very little competition as an Axe Flier and infantry lancer, respectively.  They're the most likely of the remaining royals.  Azura is more plot relevant, is a dancer, and her only competition as an infantry lancer is Oboro.  Camilla is more popular, but competes with Minerva, Michalis, and Cherche (Beruka, Percy, and Gerome are probably unlikely).

- Hinoka is a lance flier.  I think Caeda is very likely as one of the SD characters, and SD gave her the Wing Spear (since you couldn't give her Jagen's Silver Lance like in the original).  There's also the Whitewings, Sumia, Cordelia, and Subaki.  The SD fliers could be sword fliers (in fact they're really the only options for that), but Cordelia has a notable popularity lead on Hinoka.  Hinoka and Takumi are the only notable royal sources for a flying Archer, though Takumi is far more associated with Sniper, since Fujin Yumi lets him ignore terrain movement penalties already.

- Elise's only troubadour competition is Maribelle, since SD doesn't have troubadours, but staves aren't a weapon in this game so far.  However, Elise's 'main' promotion is Strategist, which is a mounted Tome user like Leo.  She can be differentiated by using staves alongside the tomes like Lissa uses staves and axes, since Leo is known for fire and gravity magics.  Maid Elise seems unlikely as she loses her horse, and would compete with Felicia, Flora, and Jakob, as well as potentially any ninjas or thieves (depending on the weapon type).  I'd put her more likely than Hinoka, less likely than Camilla/Azura.  Also depends on how tomes fall into the weapon triangle.

- Sakura is an infantry healer like Lissa was.  If they move her towards Priestess, she overlaps some with Takumi due to infantry bow, though like Elise, she could use staves alongside the bows for some variety.  This also overlaps with Gordin, Virion, Jeorge, Tomas, Norne, and Setsuna (Noire and Kiragi are unlikely due to being second gen), for similar reasons as Takumi.  If they move her towards Onmyoji, she starts overlapping with the SD cleric promotions, and possibly with SD and Awakening mage promotions, though she would have some distinct visual differences (assuming they depict her 'tomes' as Hoshidan scrolls).  I'd rate her chances pretty close behind Elise, giving Elise the edge since she's slightly more plot relevant than Sakura and has less competition.

- There have been statements that some characters will show up (presumably in the story) but will not be playable.  Of the royals, Hinoka is the most likely to be hit by this, since she has the least plot relevance in Fates and the most competition in her weapon and movement class.  Elise and Sakura are also potential casualties, as Elise is an NPC for her most notable story scene, and Sakura has about as much plot relevance as Hinoka.  Camilla's got similar plot relevance, but she's got a massive amount of popularity backing her inclusion as playable, and Azura is as plot relevant as the brothers.  There's a chance Leo and Takumi could get hit with this, but i think it's unlikely.

I would like for them all to be playable (though I only really care about Elise personally), and I think they have the better chances to make it in compared to most of the other characters in Fates.  But since they've stated that they want the weapon triangle to be a core gameplay element, I personally would rather they focus on weapon diversity than exclude literally everyone but the royals from Fates.  It is the reason FEW isn't Lord-fest 2017, after all.

...That reply ended up a lot longer than I expected.

2 minutes ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:

The only actually important royals are the brothers due to their connection to the Yato.  Two of the brothers of which have been confirmed, and one of the other two has been hinted at.  Takumi's the only one missing completely so far, but I think he's pretty likely, given that the Fujin Yumi is a lightsaber bow.

Also, keep in mind that they are 'competing' against units from other games as well, not just Fates.  KT has also stated that they wanted the weapon triangle to be a factor in the gameplay, which means they probably want some balance in the weapon types available.

- Camilla and Azura have very little competition as an Axe Flier and infantry lancer, respectively.  They're the most likely of the remaining royals.  Azura is more plot relevant, is a dancer, and her only competition as an infantry lancer is Oboro.  Camilla is more popular, but competes with Minerva, Michalis, and Cherche (Beruka, Percy, and Gerome are probably unlikely).

- Hinoka is a lance flier.  I think Caeda is very likely as one of the SD characters, and SD gave her the Wing Spear (since you couldn't give her Jagen's Silver Lance like in the original).  There's also the Whitewings, Sumia, Cordelia, and Subaki.  The SD fliers could be sword fliers (in fact they're really the only options for that), but Cordelia has a notable popularity lead on Hinoka.  Hinoka and Takumi are the only notable royal sources for a flying Archer, though Takumi is far more associated with Sniper, since Fujin Yumi lets him ignore terrain movement penalties already.

- Elise's only troubadour competition is Maribelle, since SD doesn't have troubadours, but staves aren't a weapon in this game so far.  However, Elise's 'main' promotion is Strategist, which is a mounted Tome user like Leo.  She can be differentiated by using staves alongside the tomes like Lissa uses staves and axes, since Leo is known for fire and gravity magics.  Maid Elise seems unlikely as she loses her horse, and would compete with Felicia, Flora, and Jakob, as well as potentially any ninjas or thieves (depending on the weapon type).  I'd put her more likely than Hinoka, less likely than Camilla/Azura.  Also depends on how tomes fall into the weapon triangle.

- Sakura is an infantry healer like Lissa was.  If they move her towards Priestess, she overlaps some with Takumi due to infantry bow, though like Elise, she could use staves alongside the bows for some variety.  This also overlaps with Gordin, Virion, Jeorge, Tomas, Norne, and Setsuna (Noire and Kiragi are unlikely due to being second gen), for similar reasons as Takumi.  If they move her towards Onmyoji, she starts overlapping with the SD cleric promotions, and possibly with SD and Awakening mage promotions, though she would have some distinct visual differences (assuming they depict her 'tomes' as Hoshidan scrolls).  I'd rate her chances pretty close behind Elise, giving Elise the edge since she's slightly more plot relevant than Sakura and has less competition.

- There have been statements that some characters will show up (presumably in the story) but will not be playable.  Of the royals, Hinoka is the most likely to be hit by this, since she has the least plot relevance in Fates and the most competition in her weapon and movement class.  Elise and Sakura are also potential casualties, as Elise is an NPC for her most notable story scene, and Sakura has about as much plot relevance as Hinoka.  Camilla's got similar plot relevance, but she's got a massive amount of popularity backing her inclusion as playable, and Azura is as plot relevant as the brothers.  There's a chance Leo and Takumi could get hit with this, but i think it's unlikely.

I would like for them all to be playable (though I only really care about Elise personally), and I think they have the better chances to make it in compared to most of the other characters in Fates.  But since they've stated that they want the weapon triangle to be a core gameplay element, I personally would rather they focus on weapon diversity than exclude literally everyone but the royals from Fates.  It is the reason FEW isn't Lord-fest 2017, after all.

...That reply ended up a lot longer than I expected.

A lot of the characters you mentioned have like no chance though. Camilla's definitely beating Cherche. For Hinoka, Sumia and Subaki definitely aren't getting in. And I don't see us getting the Whitewings; just put in Caeda. For Sakura, Tomas, Norne, Setsuna, and I wanna say Virion have no chance. I also don;'t see Maribelle getting in, so Elise is a bit more safe.

And if I remember correctly, Lissa can cast thunder from her staff in this game. I'm not too sure though, I heard it on this forums though. I think it's very likely Elise can get in and kind of have a focus on staves. It would be awesome to use staves like Freeze offensively and this would allow her to play differently from Leo. Sakura is kind of harder to pinpoint, but I think that since archers are going to have bonus damage against Pegasus Knights, that we'll have an alternate archer to choose from, so that that bonus doesn't apply to just one character. If they can come up with movesets for 8 swords, I think they could brainstorm 2 archer movesets. I think the little sisters could play different enough from their brothers, because their brothers have their own special weapon that would of course have an impact on their moveset. Leo can summon trees, but have somewhat small hitboxes and high damage. Elise would be limited to just Fire/Thunder/Wind magic, and she could be more focused on larger crowds but have lower damage. That would completely change how they play. Or shoot, have Elise be able to do Fire, Thunder, and Wind and be able to switch between them. Wind could have a large range, Fire could have high damage, and Thunder could stun. For Sakura/Takumi, the two could have different niches as well, by kind of copying Leo/Elise and giving Takumi high damage, short range and giving Sakura low damage but high range. Or vice versa. Just a bit of brainstorming but I don't think it would be difficult to make the little sisters unique. We do have three Falchion users after all :lol:

I don't think we'll see a SD archer because they've stated a few times that representation will be uneven between the three games, and that one will seem smaller than the other two. I believe that one is SD. If we get Marth/Tiki/Caeda/Camus, that's four. Add in Hardin and Linde or Merric and that's 6. I think that, depending on the roster size, that's a reasonable amount to expect if SD is truly the smallest one of the three games. This saves all of the archers for Fates, specifically Sakura, a magic one, and Takumi. With Awakening, we already have 5 characters confirmed, and if we add Tharja and Cordelia, it's 7. If we round it off with a villain pick, say Gangrel, that's 8. That'd make the roster 6/8/10 split for SD/Awakening/Fates and that sounds pretty fair to me. They could say the 2nd Awakening villain is a Grima moveset for Robin and the Fates villains are like Xander (who could be against you at first for a bit) and Possessed!Takumi. This all has like no chance at all but it's just a little bit of brainstorming. Regardless, I think that since they've been praising the roster size forever now that they'll find enough room to squeeze in all the royals.

And you don't have to worry about weapon diversity when adding in all of the royals. Just from those 10 you get a dragon Swordsman, a foot lancer/dancer, a legendary tome, two legendary swords, a legendary bow, a Wyvern Rider, a Pegasus Knight, a cleric/archer and a cleric/mounted mage. Each one is different from the rest. The only weapon not in these 10 is like kunai/shuriken I think? I think all of the royals are pretty likely, even though some are more likely than others. I really want to see how they'd take on Sakura and Elise in particular (those two are my favorites so I'm really biased but they have a lot of potential in my opinion). It'd really suck to have some royals but leave some out because they're all pretty popular and the face characters of all of the routes.

1 minute ago, Pokechu said:

A lot of the characters you mentioned have like no chance though. Camilla's definitely beating Cherche. For Hinoka, Sumia and Subaki definitely aren't getting in. And I don't see us getting the Whitewings; just put in Caeda. For Sakura, Tomas, Norne, Setsuna, and I wanna say Virion have no chance. I also don;'t see Maribelle getting in, so Elise is a bit more safe.

And if I remember correctly, Lissa can cast thunder from her staff in this game. I'm not too sure though, I heard it on this forums though. I think it's very likely Elise can get in and kind of have a focus on staves. It would be awesome to use staves like Freeze offensively and this would allow her to play differently from Leo. Sakura is kind of harder to pinpoint, but I think that since archers are going to have bonus damage against Pegasus Knights, that we'll have an alternate archer to choose from, so that that bonus doesn't apply to just one character. If they can come up with movesets for 8 swords, I think they could brainstorm 2 archer movesets. I think the little sisters could play different enough from their brothers, because their brothers have their own special weapon that would of course have an impact on their moveset. Leo can summon trees, but have somewhat small hitboxes and high damage. Elise would be limited to just Fire/Thunder/Wind magic, and she could be more focused on larger crowds but have lower damage. That would completely change how they play. Or shoot, have Elise be able to do Fire, Thunder, and Wind and be able to switch between them. Wind could have a large range, Fire could have high damage, and Thunder could stun. For Sakura/Takumi, the two could have different niches as well, by kind of copying Leo/Elise and giving Takumi high damage, short range and giving Sakura low damage but high range. Or vice versa. Just a bit of brainstorming but I don't think it would be difficult to make the little sisters unique. We do have three Falchion users after all :lol:

I don't think we'll see a SD archer because they've stated a few times that representation will be uneven between the three games, and that one will seem smaller than the other two. I believe that one is SD. If we get Marth/Tiki/Caeda/Camus, that's four. Add in Hardin and Linde or Merric and that's 6. I think that, depending on the roster size, that's a reasonable amount to expect if SD is truly the smallest one of the three games. This saves all of the archers for Fates, specifically Sakura, a magic one, and Takumi. With Awakening, we already have 5 characters confirmed, and if we add Tharja and Cordelia, it's 7. If we round it off with a villain pick, say Gangrel, that's 8. That'd make the roster 6/8/10 split for SD/Awakening/Fates and that sounds pretty fair to me. They could say the 2nd Awakening villain is a Grima moveset for Robin and the Fates villains are like Xander (who could be against you at first for a bit) and Possessed!Takumi. This all has like no chance at all but it's just a little bit of brainstorming. Regardless, I think that since they've been praising the roster size forever now that they'll find enough room to squeeze in all the royals.

And you don't have to worry about weapon diversity when adding in all of the royals. Just from those 10 you get a dragon Swordsman, a foot lancer/dancer, a legendary tome, two legendary swords, a legendary bow, a Wyvern Rider, a Pegasus Knight, a cleric/archer and a cleric/mounted mage. Each one is different from the rest. The only weapon not in these 10 is like kunai/shuriken I think? I think all of the royals are pretty likely, even though some are more likely than others. I really want to see how they'd take on Sakura and Elise in particular (those two are my favorites so I'm really biased but they have a lot of potential in my opinion). It'd really suck to have some royals but leave some out because they're all pretty popular and the face characters of all of the routes.

Subaki happens to be the only male Pegasus rider, which could be enough to get him a spot.  The Whitewings have the triangle attack, which is unique to them among the rep'd games.  Virion is somehow notable enough to have made it to TMS and be the first summon ever in FEH.  Jeorge has Parthia (probably).  Gordin is the first archer of the series.

I don't doubt that they can make all the movesets relatively unique (in fact, I brought up how their movesets could be made unique).  Potential for a moveset isn't the issue here, weapon diversity is.  Robin will have the coverage on the weapon triangle as Leo, with the main difference being movement type (they've mentioned horse-mounted characters would be generally more mobile).

Like I said, I'd prefer they balance the available weapon choices, even if they have to pass over some main characters to do so, because that is the reason they gave for not spanning the series.  I want them to actually stick to what they gave as a reason, even if it means some of the characters I'd like to play from the games they chose don't make it.

-----

Using your example, we'd have:

- 3 Axes (Camilla, Lissa, Frederick)

- 5 Tomes (Linde/Merric, Robin, Tharja, Elise, Leo)

- 5 - 6 Lances (Camus, Cordelia, Hinoka, Azura, Hardin and maybe Caeda if they don't give her swords)

- 1 Dragonstone (Tiki, maybe Grima!Robin falls here?)

- 8 - 9 Swords (Marth, Chrom, Lucina, Ryoma, Xander, Corrin, Lianna, Rowan, Gangrel, and maybe Caeda if they don't give her lances)

- 2 Bows (Sakura, Takumi)

Say there's a map where all enemies are Lances.  Almost a third of the cast is then weak to the entire map, while only 3 out of the 25-ish characters are strong against that map (assuming Tome, Dragonstone, and Bow are neutral).  They could force the issue by putting Tomes in with Axes, Dragonstones in with Swords, and Bows in with Lances, but that doesn't match up with any FE game I know of.  Fates had Tomes with Swords, and Bows with Axes, but that makes a full 13 characters minimum (almost half the roster) weak to this hypothetical Lance map, and only 5 strong against it.  That's not good if they want the weapon triangle to be a consideration for what characters you pick for a map.

This also gives us all of one possible armored unit, Hardin, and only if he's from FE3/FE12, which is not one of the games they mentioned pulling from.  He was a Cavalier in FE1/FE11.  Guess armorslayers, heavy lances and hammers don't have much of a special effect anymore.