Rex Glacies plays Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones!

Rex Glacies

Which route should I take?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which route should I take?

• Only Eirika.
    • Only Ephraim.
    • Eirika first, then Ephraim.
    • Ephraim first, then Eirika.

17 hours ago, Rex Glacies said:

Completely off topic, but it occurs to me that every character has the same eye color as they do hair color. Kinda strange, I wonder if that’s the case with every character in this game, and by extension, common amongst most Fire Emblem characters.

i think the reason behind this at least in the GBA Fire Emblem games is mostly because of palette limitations, each of the face sprites in the game can only have 15 different colors in it plus the background so it'd be easier to just re-use the hair colors for the eyes too

that said I think it being a purposeful design decision could also factor into it since a lot of anime does this sort of thing too and there are definitely examples later in the series as well

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/30/2017 at 3:37 PM, Rex Glacies said:

Za’ha? Odd name for a forest, especially since nothing else in Fire Emblem is named like that.

There is a Za'albul Marsh in Grado as you'll see if you pick Ephraim's route. Jehanna is also named after the Islamic version of Hell. But having these locations with names that don't look at all European in Renais and Grado is weird. Za'ha sounds "foreign" enough to be ominous, and given the forest has monsters, the name works.

The problems here are several though: Za'albul has no monsters. Za'ha sounds like it was named for having monsters, but it's clear they didn't exist there until just now. And the center of monster-dom in Magvel where they've been extant for centuries is called Darkling Woods, not Za'abbasid Woods or something. 

On the eye colors, you do find plenty of exceptions in other games. Flipping through PoR's introduction pages here on SF shows loads of hair/eye color differences, FE4 has a bunch too. Why to stay in the GBA era, in FE6 Roy, Lugh, Raigh, Klein, and Clarine break with it too.

On 7/31/2017 at 3:09 AM, MadJak91 said:

Haha, once you write that paper, make sure to publish it. I will read it! :D

I am not sure about its origin (Wikipedia says Celtic) but yup! That is how we spell it here in Eastern EU plus a lot of other EU countries spell it without the 'h' as well!

I've already begun writing it!

Huh. Interesting. I guess it would make more sense if it was originally Celtic (I mean, Arthur and the Round Table and the like), and if I recall correctly, I think the Celts eventually traveled to the generalized Russian/Slavic areas in the far past, so one might argue that it is Russian in origin, technically speaking.

On 7/31/2017 at 8:57 AM, Stocke said:

i think the reason behind this at least in the GBA Fire Emblem games is mostly because of palette limitations, each of the face sprites in the game can only have 15 different colors in it plus the background so it'd be easier to just re-use the hair colors for the eyes too

that said I think it being a purposeful design decision could also factor into it since a lot of anime does this sort of thing too and there are definitely examples later in the series as well

Oh, definitely. It is both a design factor used to make characters look better, and used in conjunction with limited coloration possibilities. However, that does not mean it cannot be fun to craft a pointless theory on the nonexistent genetics of fictional characters who don't even exist.

On 8/1/2017 at 0:15 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

There is a Za'albul Marsh in Grado as you'll see if you pick Ephraim's route. Jehanna is also named after the Islamic version of Hell. But having these locations with names that don't look at all European in Renais and Grado is weird. Za'ha sounds "foreign" enough to be ominous, and given the forest has monsters, the name works.

The problems here are several though: Za'albul has no monsters. Za'ha sounds like it was named for having monsters, but it's clear they didn't exist there until just now. And the center of monster-dom in Magvel where they've been extant for centuries is called Darkling Woods, not Za'abbasid Woods or something. 

On the eye colors, you do find plenty of exceptions in other games. Flipping through PoR's introduction pages here on SF shows loads of hair/eye color differences, FE4 has a bunch too. Why to stay in the GBA era, in FE6 Roy, Lugh, Raigh, Klein, and Clarine break with it too.

Wait a second; Jehanna is named after the Islamic Hell? Well, that explains why everyone is trying to run away from there.

Yeah, I never really understood naming conventions in things like these. It's like Lord of the Rings - there's all these cool names like Erebor and Mirkwood and Mordor, but the final location - the location that lies at the heart of the enemies power - is called... Mt. Doom. It just feels... anticlimactic... somehow.

I do realize it is not true of all situations, and I simply have not yet searched hard enough to determine the validity of the statement "Anime people's hair and eye color is the same." However, I have looked at many GBA characters, and have found something rather interesting regarding characters with different eye and hair color: if their hair color is a natural hair color (as in, it exists in the real world) then they can have a different eye color. The only problem is Lugh and Raigh, but one might argue that their eye color is so similar to their hair that it checks out with the theory.

• 2 weeks later...

Late again, but technically speaking I never specified when I was going to be posting, so, might one argue that I've never been late with this? Ah well, let's just hope I can get the next chapter faster than this.

Chapter 5: The Empire’s Reach

Spoiler

Despite the light of the Sacred Stones, monsters have sprouted up across the continent of Magvel, creating more trouble for the continent aside from just the war. Still, Eirka presses forward, to the now conquered town of Serafew on the border of Grado and Renais.

598de6039b451_51.jpg.19ed9d77c1b7ff442ae85594a37111d1.jpg

Ah, and here are two more characters. One is the Cleric Natasha, and the other is the Myrmidon Joshua. At first glance, Joshua looks like he adds to the anime eye-and-hair color theory, while Natasha breaks it. However, that is the second part of my theory - anime characters with “normal” colored hair don’t adhere to the same-color doctrine.

598de60cb577a_52.jpg.f6f41b7ab34810d39700507be4b70867.jpg

In the same town of Serafew, Glen, one of Grado’s greatest generals has arrived. He tasks one of his lieutenants with securing the once-peaceful town, as well as capturing Eirika when she passes through the town. He also tasks the lieutenant with finding a traitor to Grado who ran away and is hiding in the city. The lieutenant agrees, holding the utmost loyalty to Grado.

598de610e46f3_53.jpg.d1f8c86206e5865b0145e8d1fadae8cb.jpg

Glen is gladdened by his subordinate's loyalty, and wishes he himself had it in these times. His brother, Cormag, notices his distress, but Glen brushes it off and they both leave.

598de6158e125_54.jpg.a25c38478c1003a53c62f9adebd99868.jpg

Eirika remembers Serafew - it was a peaceful town celebrating the great alliance between Grado and Renais. But now Grado soldiers have taken it. Such peaceful memories seem long ago to Eirika now.

598de61a46983_55.jpg.c37abd505d7bd87b18541c83d9c70a2d.jpg

While Seth and Eirika are discussing how they’ll get through the city, a travel approaches, looking for someone. When Eirika says she hasn’t seen anyone, he thanks her and abruptly leaves. He’s probably not an important character.

598de61e22a43_56.jpg.6d2f5e6f58152af8a166d05a7ca9fa2d.jpg

Man, it seems like Serafew is just a meeting place for everyone! Natasha, the cleric from before, turns out to be the traitor! She resists Grado’s hand, wishing to explain herself and the things she has found out. Running away, she finds Eirika and begins to tell her something, but they are interrupted by battle.

598de62120d62_57.jpg.4a06928ed14cbfec477312304aa69c91.jpg

Right before the battle begins, Joshua leaves the arena, cursing his luck. He’s a mercenary sellsword to Grado, and they don’t like him. Maybe he might like to change sides if the right person spoke to him…

598de625cee4b_58.jpg.498a14328f28eee614ad67c7dac9534c.jpg

Entering a house we receive a Dracoshield, and more evidence for the eye-and-hair color theory. Though, if this is some random civilian, she probably shouldn’t really be used for evidence…

598de628a80df_59.jpg.9aa48594fd55dbda6697ad1a86f23b59.jpg

Culunka culunka culunka wa-POW! I love the Paladin critical animation.

598de62dbb31a_510.jpg.b334fccb5949f45f009808acbb4b397c.jpg

And on a similar topic, I forgot how powerful Seth is. Maybe I shouldn’t have brought him in this level…

598de630e7b68_511.jpg.7b182dfa4f3efb48f239c66f534cb42b.jpg

Phew, Franz just avoided three hits in a row, including two from Joshua and his Killing Edge. That was slightly terrifying. But now that Joshua is within range, time to try to recruit him!

Natasha talks to Joshua, and tells him that the emperor of Grado has changed, and that “the other nations must be warned before he extinguishes all light from our lands.” Joshua, however, doesn’t care. He’s just a mercenary (well, Myrmidon class, but mercenary by profession), and he had been hired to silence Natasha. But he’s not quite willing to kill such a pretty woman. And so, he gambles:

598de635c8fa7_512.jpg.1709343a9779f373e57a926b72831782.jpg

Natasha calls heads… No! Tails! Joshua flips the coin…

598de63ca61a3_513.jpg.64fb2aa4bcd1f3c337c5ed6a7bc137d3.jpg

Actually, I’d say you won, because otherwise I’d be forced to kill you.

And just like that, Joshua obeys Lady Luck and sides with Eirika. We now have a myrmidon!

598de64087e2d_514.jpg.1465c04fa47521c0a58f610d169be668.jpg

And just off the bat, he… misses, but follows up with a crit!

598de645188bc_515.jpg.afbc13df0e13b47dc369d20caab896b9.jpg

Wow, almost a perfect level up!

598de64a584bd_516.jpg.649cbca45b71854dd4fa0d3853448af4.jpg

And here’s an arena. I never liked arenas, largely because they were too dangerous. But maybe I can give this one a go…

598de64de051b_517.jpg.8ece92e1157e6e83db129e36db996d33.jpg

Oh, phew, that went well.

598de650e6b44_518.jpg.1f9c42eef690ebfc88c58b08e05dfe36.jpg

That one was more terrifying.  I don’t think I’ll try a third time.

598de653b061c_519.jpg.e60f9c753baf20ec1605ab019cb7e7bb.jpg

Oh, I didn’t notice, but Ross is now level 10. That means at the beginning of the next chapter he can “promote” to a base class.

The Grado soldiers in Serafew have been defeated, and now Natasha can explain herself.

598de65664068_520.jpg.5881b50e122e455be5a491630caccab9.jpg

Natasha was a member of Grado’s Temple, when her mentor was executed without warning a few days ago, with accusations of being a traitor. But the truth was that the emperor had him killed to silence him. What did the man know? He told Natasha with his final breath:

598de658eca36_521.jpg.54b2bb21fe4cb00af7e45ddac15a5708.jpg

No one understands why. The Sacred Stones keep evil at bay, with one in each nation.

Natasha doesn’t understand either. But she does know that Emperor Vigarde was once a kind man before one day he simply changed. And that she needs to ward the keepers of the Sacred Stones before they are all destroyed.

Seth is suspicious. He knows no one from Grado should be trusted in these times, but still remembers the story and is disturbed by it.

598de65c259b5_522.jpg.a4f4a1771b8c7763f140114b1b83a2f4.jpg

A random villager recognizes Eirika and is delighted to see her safe. He is gladdened that Grado’s forces have been driven out, as they had been terrorizing Renais citizens. Eirika is troubled by that fact. She used to spend such happy times in the city with Lyon.

The villager knows Grado will come back and ushers Eirika to continue on her journey. They know that there will still be hard times as Grado continues to harm Renais, but the village - and all of Renais - can wait with hope for the day Eirika and Ephraim liberate their country.

Edited by Rex Glacies

2 hours ago, Rex Glacies said:

Late again, but technically speaking I never specified when I was going to be posting, so, might one argue that I've never been late with this?

Haha, no. No, no, no. This is your job now and as an entitled reader, I expect you to sit down and publish your LP regularly. You do know what regularly means, do you not?
;D

However, that is the second part of my theory - anime characters with “normal” colored hair don’t adhere to the same-color doctrine.

You talk like a politician now. Tsk :T   :D
Also, Natasha does look kind of Slavic, haha.

I forgot how powerful Seth is.

That is why you were reminded. Never ever doubt the power of Seth! He might as well be one of the Sacred Stones incarnate!

You know... Someone in the FE universe should sit down and look VERY closely at every job application. Statistically, the leaders always hire the most useless lieutenants OR myrmidons who do not even care about the plan. Why did you hire them then?? I am not even going to talk about all the usual mass defections to the other side thinking joining a group of 12 people is better than a whole army behind your back...

Edited by MadJak91

On 8/11/2017 at 4:00 PM, MadJak91 said:

You do know what regularly means, do you not?

... At unexpected intervals once a month?

You talk like a politician now. Tsk :T   :D
Also, Natasha does look kind of Slavic, haha.

I get that a lot.

Like, seriously. A lot of people have said that I've "spoken like a true politician."

I'm starting to get really worried.

As for Natasha, I noticed that as well. I was thinking about saying it sometime in the playthrough, but I suppose now is OK: I think The Sacred Stones takes a lot of inspiration from Eastern Europe/Russia. I mean, a lot of names are or sound Russian/Slavic in origin (Natasha, Morav, maybe Artur), and the main enemies in the game are monsters (and what is often associated with Slavic Europe? Transylvanian vampires - monsters!). Admittedly, not much evidence, but still, I think such a theory is reasonable enough.

You know... Someone in the FE universe should sit down and look VERY closely at every job application. Statistically, the leaders always hire the most useless lieutenants OR myrmidons who do not even care about the plan. Why did you hire them then?? I am not even going to talk about all the usual mass defections to the other side thinking joining a group of 12 people is better than a whole army behind your back...

Really though. And if our characters can just waltz up to the enemy and say "Hey, wanna join?" then why can't the enemy do so with us as well? I mean, if the good guy's army is made of a bunch of turncoats, why can't the enemy re-recruit them? It's not like all the "good guys" have an undying loyalty to their lord.

1 hour ago, Rex Glacies said:

Really though. And if our characters can just waltz up to the enemy and say "Hey, wanna join?" then why can't the enemy do so with us as well? I mean, if the good guy's army is made of a bunch of turncoats, why can't the enemy re-recruit them? It's not like all the "good guys" have an undying loyalty to their lord.

Well you do get the Jill betrayal possibility in PoR, and Zihark can leave the DBs if you have him talk with Lethe or Mordecai in 3-6 (he can't attack them, and if they attack him, he won't counter, but won't betray either- you have to be the one to initiate it).

It wouldn't be a terrible idea if they threw a few special instances of potential allied betrayal in each game. As long as we get a heads up that in essence if not outright says "Commander, I'd be wary of sending X to fight Y".

As for Seth, if I field him in C5, I frequently let him take out the leftmost zone beyond the wall. Somebody might as well clear it, and the only units who could do a solo job are him and Gilliam.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

5 hours ago, Rex Glacies said:

... At unexpected intervals once a month?

That is not why I am pay-- sigh, alright. You do this for free. FINE! :T

Like, seriously. A lot of people have said that I've "spoken like a true politician."

Whoops! Sorry! Really, always, always take my words as bad sarcasm or a joke!
I was snickering because you quickly and conveniently added a clause to your theory about hair and eye color that does not apply to normal colors :D
I know it was a joke, haha.

I think The Sacred Stones takes a lot of inspiration from Eastern Europe/Russia.

Priateľu, však oni ani vodku nepijú!
Good point though and pretty interesting. That would make me happy! Yeah, at the very least it seems they tapped into other mythologies :>

Really though. And if our characters can just waltz up to the enemy and say "Hey, wanna join?" then why can't the enemy do so with us as well?

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It wouldn't be a terrible idea if they threw a few special instances of potential allied betrayal in each game.

I guess people would hate that sort of thing but I agree. That would be cool. If there were instances where an enemy leader can do the same to you. Sure, you can reset like usual but it would possibly have influences later.

Edited by MadJak91

On 8/13/2017 at 1:48 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

It wouldn't be a terrible idea if they threw a few special instances of potential allied betrayal in each game. As long as we get a heads up that in essence if not outright says "Commander, I'd be wary of sending X to fight Y".

On 8/13/2017 at 5:48 PM, MadJak91 said:

I guess people would hate that sort of thing but I agree. That would be cool. If there were instances where an enemy leader can do the same to you. Sure, you can reset like usual but it would possibly have influences later.

Yes, it would be annoying at times, but it would add to the tactical parts of the game - knowing who to send to attack whom and when not to use them. Plus, it could add more emotion - what if you have a character that is conflicted on their loyalties and by not sending them to talk with an enemy they regret the death of that enemy and question if they took the right path (even though you, the player, might know if they spoke to each other it would only had made the first character join the enemy and resulted in their death).

On 8/13/2017 at 1:48 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

As for Seth, if I field him in C5, I frequently let him take out the leftmost zone beyond the wall. Somebody might as well clear it, and the only units who could do a solo job are him and Gilliam.

I sent Gilliam to clear that path... sort of. He blocked the entrance while everyone else went up the other way, before he joined up with them.
Seth, however, was off duty and was just sent to go on a shopping trip at the armory when the enemy assaulted him. Eirika had to pay him overtime for that...

Whoops! Sorry! Really, always, always take my words as bad sarcasm or a joke!
I was snickering because you quickly and conveniently added a clause to your theory about hair and eye color that does not apply to normal colors :D
I know it was a joke, haha.

Yeah, that was a joke. I mean, people still do sometimes say that, but I meant no offence to you. Alas, though, this is the internet, and it is often difficult to acknowledge what is said as sarcasm and what is said as not.

Priateľu, však oni ani vodku nepijú!
Good point though and pretty interesting. That would make me happy! Yeah, at the very least it seems they tapped into other mythologies :>

... no idea what that means.
Anyway, thank you. As someone who also has Eastern European heritage, I love to see that generalized area represented in fiction.

Also, something occurred to me about the Slavic influence. Vikings (the main influence in The Sacred Stones) once populated the Russian region. Therefore, that can add to the theory as they were once well integrated with Slavic people.

Also, the next chapter should be coming soon. Not next month!

Edited by Rex Glacies

Chapter 5x: Unbroken Heart

Spoiler

Wait a second, 5x? Not 6?

Oh, and we’re jumping right into it! No world map or nothing.

5993c3dde0bdc_5x2.jpg.38bb4aa87c8ef3b3b0133a25be2a678e.jpg

This chapter takes place at Fort Renvall, where Valter, the general who faced Seth at the beginning of the game, has arrived. He has also been tasked by Emperor Vigarde to find Ephraim and Eirika, but it appears he (well, his general Tirado) is still trying to capture Ephraim.

5993c3e030206_5x3.jpg.1896d9d4f98269603eb1b7e5c2b27b3a.jpg

Oh neat. So it appears that Ephraim is familiar with guerrilla warfare. And it is serving him well. He has only a few knights with him, and yet is greatly resisting Grado’s might.

5993c3e3c0461_5x4.jpg.fd4174a6e6f8e0f5797a22dc0904ed87.jpg

*gulp* Valter… isn’t a cannibal, is he?

But according to Valter and Tirado, they have a plan to find Ephraim. They will leave their castle and search for Ephraim in the northern woods, where a “friend” will help them find Ephraim…

5993c3e69de0c_5x5.jpg.8a5efdbfa3b97a0672caa05ca26e611b.jpg

And here is Ephraim in the woods, with his Cavaliers Forde and Kyle. Alas, thus is the problem with extended guerrilla warfare. You will be annoying, but it will eventually have a cost on your own supplies.

5993c3ea938f7_5x6.jpg.6bd7e6a511b8600ed9d7b3b71e2a581d.jpg

Scratch what I said earlier about Eirika having bad messengers. Unless this chapter takes place before where we are in Eirika’s route, Ephraim has the worst messengers.

Anyway, Ephraim, and all of Renais, is losing, but Ephraim needs to keep Grado distracted, and at the same time he needs to find more supplies without involving innocent civilians. Plus, an army of Grado has just gone off in search of him. How will he be able to solve all these problems? His answer: Renvall. He’s going to take down the fortress.

5993c3ed2aaef_5x7.jpg.240a6256bf60b57b354f732cbe7a44f2.jpg

I agree with Forde here. You have about three knights with you. Do you really think you can take down an entire castle with a total of four people?

5993c3ef843d4_5x8.jpg.bdbd7be7a5cd64fc38f26675bac332e4.jpg

Um, your life?

Ephraim does have a cool head though. It is insane, but he needs to keep Grado distracted, and attacking this fortress is a way to do that. Furthermore, the castle is very important to Grado. If Ephraim were to take it down, Grado would invest many resources to take it back. In addition, Ephraim knows that the enemy would know it’s insane to attack the fortress. So, they wouldn’t expect an attack, and would be caught off guard.

… Oddly enough, he actually has a point…

5993c3f25b7e1_5x9.jpg.c8b6b27828447ed04895172ee9a91e86.jpg

… But I don’t like his arrogance here. It’s a cool line, yes, but I guess we’ll see if it holds true.

5993c3f5ea0f2_5x10.jpg.4bafd6a41cf39a0e2776feb1c3dc55e2.jpg

That’s what I thought. Time to start over!

Really though, it took a lot of effort to have him killed just for this picture. Ephraim is a lot stronger than I initially thought. I guess his line was mostly true - the only reason he lost here was because his tactician wanted to prove a point, and ended up getting schooled instead! Now, to restart!

We’re taking down the fortress with four men - one Lord, two Cavaliers, and one Paladin. Orsen, the Paladin, I believe is much like Seth - the “Jeigan” of this chapter but for Ephraim, so I'll be using him as little as possible.

5993c3f8d209f_5x11.jpg.1069863587bd66ac4a788f48be381053.jpg

And the final thing I’m saying before I start the takedown is that Ephraim has a personal weapon - the Reginleif. It works as a lance version of the Rapier, much like Hector’s axe Wolf Beil and Lyn’s personal Mani Katti. I’m not certain what the etymology of its name is, otherwise I’d say so here.

5993c3fcbc287_5x12.jpg.40895dede6f375a233f3335d94735718.jpg

Something of note is that we don’t have any healers - therefore, everyone will need to rely on vulneraries and elixirs to stay alive.

5993c418bb8b1_5x13.jpg.22ed2e9d66136de54d3f51781bd7b7e7.jpg

Wow, now that was a cool critical. Spinning your weapon is the key to landing double (or triple; I don’t quite remember) the damage.

59ba00cc2a99c_5x14.jpg.c6d232c82a8095f47af23fffb750763b.jpg

I’m not superstitious, but…

(Frankly, I don't believe 666 is some immensely unlucky number or anything; I just felt it was worth pointing out.)

5993c42bafb5f_5x15.jpg.b4370daadc0e083a81cc2b5eee3dee05.jpg

Forde is overpowered! He keeps stealing the kills! I want Ephraim to be defeating the enemies!

5993c42dcdc1f_5x16.jpg.91e6c118ea774ddd02a9fc11f0bad12a.jpg

Finally he gets a kill! And it’s a nearly perfect level up! Woo! Plus, his weapon level rose!

5993c42ee27a8_5x17.jpg.9253193c6310cd6780bc5d23f16a64fd.jpg

Another perfect level up? Man, I must have seriously underestimated Ephraim.

5993c434507f5_5x18.jpg.e0da87be1d81bf39f640025159ae561a.jpg

Well, we already got to you, the boss, so I’d say so, yes.

5993c4360e719_5x19.jpg.fe3f4ff844e70996dd84db4c0f65fbc7.jpg

Almost perfect level again? What sorcery is this?

With the mercenary Zonta defeated and Ephraim having sat in his chair, he and his three compadres have now taken Fort Renvall. But Ephraim knows he doesn’t have the strength to keep the fort under his control. He opts to leave already. But bad news - while the castle was being taken, Grado sent reinforcements to surround the fort. Ephraim and his men run as quick as they can, but they are stopped.

5993c436b84f8_5x20.jpg.68ff38810f3e1b02013cf78747f3978f.jpg

Valter has caught up with Ephraim now, and is impressed with his actions. But now he wishes to end Ephraim’s little crusade. Ephraim is surprised Valter knew Ephraim would attack Fort Renvall, and demands to know how he knew, but Valter commands them to surrender and lay down their arms. Kyle believes in Ephraim and tells him to fight, but both Ephraim and Valter know there are too many enemies and that it would be futile.

Valter tells Ephraim to grovel at his feet and beg to live, but Ephraim, cocky Ephraim denies him.

5993c437918e5_5x21.jpg.9bcd9c58c98e7a68776fb50eaf2d9c22.jpg

“Watch and see. I don’t pick fights I can’t win.”

Well, you surprised me once Ephraim (well, multiple times if you count the critical and level ups). Let’s see if you can surprise me again.

Edited by Rex Glacies

But I don’t like his arrogance here. It’s a cool line, yes, but I guess we’ll see if it holds true.

Ephraim is like: "Forde. Dude. Do you see this?"
Forde: "Yes, My Lord, I do. And it is not exactly heavy armor."
Ephraim: "Forde, listen. This is plot armor. We are going to win. Trust me."

That’s what I thought. Time to start over!

Er... Em.... Plot armor within margin of error, of course. Of course.

Let’s see if you can surprise me again.

Ephraim: "Valter. Dude. Do you see this?"
Valter: "Plot armor? Tsk. ... Throw him in prison then!!"

1 hour ago, Ottokar said:

No, Sir. No, indeed, Sir. He's a lecherous, domineering, sadistic Casanova.

Also previously confirmed stripper. Valter the Moonstone. It all makes sense now.

All in all, I really like this chapter. Weird comparison incoming but it reminds me of StarCraft's sudden guerrilla mission where you get a bunch of marines and have to rely on carefully picking your fights. There is something really cool about this mission and Thracia also had quite a few of these.
Naturally, I know such mission appear in like every FE, yes, but not this kind of cozy sneaking atmosphere lmao :D

On 8/1/2017 at 9:15 AM, Interdimensional Observer said:

1. "Jehanna is also named after the Islamic version of Hell." Huh. Jahan'nam to Jehanna. Never thought of it that way. ... wait, what the heck?
  2. "But having these locations with [non-European sounding] names ... in Renais and Grado is weird." Why not Schwarzheim or Angsthall or something like that instead of Arabic-Berber gibberish?
  3. "... not Za'abbasid Woods or something." Well stated.

@Interdimensional Observer really has raised some good points here. 

On the "influence" question I always thought Magvel takes as much queues from Biblical (the demons/monsters, Rausten being a theocracy, the names of Jehannan characters like Joshua and Ismaire) and Norse (essentially all the Sacred Twin weapons and the tragic nature of Lyon's possession) mythology/culture than Eastern Europe, but those connection are definitely cool. 

So, Rex... what route are you going to play?

On 8/16/2017 at 1:23 AM, Ottokar said:

No, Sir. No, indeed, Sir. He's a lecherous, domineering, sadistic Casanova.

... I love this description.

On 8/16/2017 at 3:04 AM, MadJak91 said:

All in all, I really like this chapter. Weird comparison incoming but it reminds me of StarCraft's sudden guerrilla mission where you get a bunch of marines and have to rely on carefully picking your fights. There is something really cool about this mission and Thracia also had quite a few of these.
Naturally, I know such mission appear in like every FE, yes, but not this kind of cozy sneaking atmosphere lmao :D

Don't know anything about Starcraft, but I also liked this chapter. It was a good mix of strategy, strength, and "feel" that wasn't either too hard nor too easy (well, maybe a bit on the easy side). Plus, the small amount of units on Ephraim's side never made me feel like I was paying attention to a specific unit, as they all contributed to the chapter's success. Er, except Orson, the already promoted Paladin. But yeah. "Cozy sneaking atmosphere." That is a good description.

On 8/19/2017 at 4:51 PM, Alistair said:

On the "influence" question I always thought Magvel takes as much queues from Biblical (the demons/monsters, Rausten being a theocracy, the names of Jehannan characters like Joshua and Ismaire) and Norse (essentially all the Sacred Twin weapons and the tragic nature of Lyon's possession) mythology/culture than Eastern Europe, but those connection are definitely cool. 

So, Rex... what route are you going to play?

The Biblical influence would be neat as well, though I wouldn't hold the "Rausten theocracy" to be a piece of Biblical evidence. Yes, it would make sense, but if I recall correctly Plegia in Awakening is referred to as a theocracy as well; not really a Biblical reference. Regardless, I'm going to assume that the games simply take influence from all these sources: Eastern Europe for a number of names, the Bible for the theme of good humans against evil demons, and Norse for the ancient weapons.

As for the route... good question. I was thinking that once I got to the split, I would copy my save and do Eirika's route. Then, once that's done, I would double back to the earlier save and do Ephraim's. Though, I'm not completely certain. Maybe I should make this a poll: Eirika's route first or Ephraim's?

As for the route... good question. I was thinking that once I got to the split, I would copy my save and do Eirika's route. Then, once that's done, I would double back to the earlier save and do Ephraim's. Though, I'm not completely certain. Maybe I should make this a poll: Eirika's route first or Ephraim's?

That's the strat I was thinking, if you wanted to both routes.

Note that Ephraim's route is generally considered more difficult overall. Not to say Eirika's is completely devoid lacking of challenge, but given a side-by-side comparison of each of her battles to each of Ephraim's, her path is certainly easier. Once you get past Scorched Sands, the differences in the two routes weakens, though there are still some minor differences in subsequent chapters.

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

That's the strat I was thinking, if you wanted to both routes.

Note that Ephraim's route is generally considered more difficult overall. Not to say Eirika's is completely devoid lacking of challenge, but given a side-by-side comparison of each of her battles to each of Ephraim's, her path is certainly easier. Once you get past Scorched Sands, the differences in the two routes weakens, though there are still some minor differences in subsequent chapters.

Yes, that's what I had heard - Eirika's is easier while Ephraim's is harder. However, if I may ask, do you know if the story is significantly different/better if you take one route before the other? Like I'm aware that there are a couple of differences while the general story is the same, but is it a situation like (I truly hate to make the comparison) Fates where it is recommended you play Revelations last in order to find all the remaining secrets?

1 minute ago, Rex Glacies said:

However, if I may ask, do you know if the story is significantly different/better if you take one route before the other? Like I'm aware that there are a couple of differences while the general story is the same, but is it a situation like (I truly hate to make the comparison) Fates where it is recommended you play Revelations last in order to find all the remaining secrets?

There is no Revelation like problem. Eirika and Ephraim have their routes differ in their portrayals of Lyon- but neither is truer than the other. Each also covers details the other doesn't. Ephraim's does reveal more important stuff than Eirika's I think, but it's not so important as to affect the final outcome of the story. The stuff is only background details and hints at what the post-ending future holds (and such a future comes the same on both routes).

In terms of characters being recruited, everyone save Amelia feels better included on Eirika's route, though a few others aren't terribly integrated into Ephraim's route, just not as well as the Eirika's.

storywise: Eirika's route > Ephraim's route
gameplaywise (term of difficulty and map design): Ephraim's route >>> Eirika's route 

Just a little thing for screenshot LPs in general: Just post each part in a spoiler tag. It'd be clearer for the viewer and easier to scroll down to read all the comments.

On 8/20/2017 at 11:31 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

There is no Revelation like problem. Eirika and Ephraim have their routes differ in their portrayals of Lyon- but neither is truer than the other. Each also covers details the other doesn't. Ephraim's does reveal more important stuff than Eirika's I think, but it's not so important as to affect the final outcome of the story. The stuff is only background details and hints at what the post-ending future holds (and such a future comes the same on both routes).

In terms of characters being recruited, everyone save Amelia feels better included on Eirika's route, though a few others aren't terribly integrated into Ephraim's route, just not as well as the Eirika's.

Alright. Thank you for clarifying.

On 8/21/2017 at 3:10 AM, MadJak91 said:

In case you are taking votes then I vote for Eirika first. Recently completed Seth solo run on Ephraim's so that is why :D

On 8/21/2017 at 3:16 AM, Aya Shameimaru said:

storywise: Eirika's route > Ephraim's route
gameplaywise (term of difficulty and map design): Ephraim's route >>> Eirika's route 

Just a little thing for screenshot LPs in general: Just post each part in a spoiler tag. It'd be clearer for the viewer and easier to scroll down to read all the comments.

... I'm starting to think the poll was unnecessary. Regardless, thank you both for your input.

And Aya, thanks for the suggestion. I'll go through and edit them right now.

As for the next chapter, I hope to get it done soon, but there is a slight... bug... in my controller, so it might take longer to play the chapter than I would hope. The problem is nothing game breaking, but it is annoying nonetheless.

Sorry for the vary long wait. My Wii U finally allowed me to play for a bit.

Chapter 6: Victims of War

Spoiler

Passing through Serafew, Eirika and her companions head into Grado territory. However, they are being tracked by the enemy…

59a722a6efe61_61.jpg.2f8aef8bb99a0f714dc342074f0e8707.jpg

And here is the enemy. They look creepy - Riev, one of Grado’s six greatest generals, and one of his lackeys Novala. Both of them must have delved deep into the dark arts.

59a722ab03d4a_62.jpg.dcaa36b02e3fc79d714be94cdf04b436.jpg

Yesh. Even one of them agrees.

Riev leaves, trusting his servant to capture Eirika. Novala states he has an extra something to use provided the ambush fails.

59a722adef44b_63.jpg.ba1789876319df152ccabfba801f52ab.jpg

And the ambush is sprung. Novala demands Eirika’s bracelet in the name of the emperor, but where did he learn that it was important? No matter - Eirika refuses, but Novala has another revelation up his sleeve:

59a722b1360c5_64.jpg.a7ec39a8eb9d46bb29c1cd5f1dab4ef4.jpg

Oh? I guess the plot armor did indeed run out. He states that Ephraim is in a Grado prison, but Eirika refuses to believe him. So, Novala pulls out something else - a child citizen of Renais, and demands the bracelet or he’ll kill her.

59a722b4c98ae_65.jpg.bd8763c10c4e853784052e8d0c9fbeaa.jpg

And she goes with it? Huh. I wasn’t expecting that. Nonetheless, she gives him the bracelet for the child’s safety. But Novala isn’t done, and he demands everyone gives up his or her weapons, to which Seth refuses. Realizing the hostage is of no more use, Novala comes up with a horrible idea:

59a722b8d1a68_66.jpg.fae456586abe062eacebb7c4b5bf21ae.jpg

“Follow the spiders? Why couldn’t it be follow the butterflies?”

... You can probably guess what his plan is.

59a722bc2a4fa_67.jpg.0e5271ad417d80cac29c1a6b38f7a54b.jpg

Well, all’s fair in love and war, or so the saying goes. Novala is in delight. He can’t wait to see the people of Renais be brutally eaten, and continues to insult Renais.

I think I touched upon this already, but why is Grado so hateful towards Renais? They were at peace, and a good peace... from Renais's standpoint. But most every Grado allied soldier hates Renais and wishes to see them suffer. Why? Is Grado envious of Renais? Was the Grado-Renais alliance benefiting Renais more than Grado?

Back to the story, Eirika can't bear his insults. She knows Grado and Renais were once at peace, and has been trying to keep high hopes that peace will be restored, and so has been willing to forgive them despite all the atrocities they have committed against Renais. But if Grado has nothing but hatred for Renais…

59a722beb7d6b_68.jpg.334b9b8606df2e55a671c4cddcc99256.jpg

“If this is the case, then there is no room in my heart for forgiveness.”

At her words Novala simply rebukes her and teleports to near the spider infested mountains, bringing the child to her captive parents. Eirika and her group now get ready to defeat Novala and save the hostages.

(Yet another question. Why can all the enemy sorcerers teleport while none of the good ones can? It's like in every Fire Emblem game.)

59a722c177e28_69.jpg.8bb30d4af2702fbcfb7958311edda21a.jpg

Oh! We didn’t get the chance before, but now Ross can “promote” to a basic class - either a Fighter or a Pirate. As Garcia is a Fighter already, I chose Pirate because we don’t yet have this class. Though I can’t think Garcia would be glad to know his son is now a scheming scallywag of the sea...

59a722c3f2f75_610.jpg.249d96db8862be73850ed78710ee438a.jpg

Oooh! This map is the first in this game to have “Fog of War!” It hasn’t been used in recent games, but it is a fun (read: frustrating) little gimmick to spruce things up in battle. With it, you can only see a few spaces ahead of your units - therefore, you might not know where the enemy is. There are two counters to it - Thieves can see further than normal units, and an item called the torch can light up the surrounding area.

59a722c64e1dd_611.jpg.6902bb0c9d7e631d5979a3eef0d90b72.jpg

Visiting a village, a boy says that the spiders in the mountains are poisonous, but if you have antitoxins, you’ll be safe.

59a722c8b10a6_612.jpg.0436e8d6f076586fd9c2e18166550e92.jpg

Well, at least he’s optimistic. A coincidence, but he actually looks like he could be related to Franz here.

59a722ccdb2e0_613.jpg.102dfa35e2c09d27e40b9d6f3c90370e.jpg

Phew! Thank goodness that guy missed.

59a722d6ac5ef_614.jpg.0a5a11c37c8c8b21c6c0f57320d2019b.jpg

… But I guess that was the cost of such.

59a722da86524_615.jpg.1288d81c4bd78331e78982653ba4ec36.jpg

As per what @MadJak91 stated some time ago, behold: the Can Opener Attack! You hold the fighter, and twist until the helm comes off! Buy now for 14.99*!

*Plus shipping and handling. While supplies last. Ask your doctor if Can Opener Attack is right for you.

59a722dd1b04f_616.jpg.cc494c854610269cca7ae3675340c40a.jpg

Seriously, what’s with it and these bad level ups? So far I’ve only gotten about one good one.

59a722e0d9cfe_617.jpg.68ef335e0a359691c509811a9ec58546.jpg

Waiting to defeat the boss to long will result in the spiders coming out. Which begs another question - are these spiders just monsters that live around these mountains, or are they servants of the Demon King of old? As in, have they lived here for centuries, or have they just come into being recently much like the Bonewalkers and Revanants in a previous chapter?

59a722e323b21_618.jpg.e9482794568c809f6dcf77c70211af0a.jpg

Is it just me, or does the enemy Troubadour look a bit like Ashley from WarioWare?

59a722e81226b_619.jpg.de4fca3c6ef926f044fceb3673abad0e.jpg

Gah! It’s getting closer!

But Novala was defeated quick enough, and that led the spiders to run back to their lairs, or something. Eirika retrieves her bracelet (again), and the hostages thank Eirika for saving them, as none of them were harmed.

59a722ea35b93_620.jpg.6fe703998371f27159c404abdea8cbc5.jpg

With mysterious music playing, Seth decides to explain what King Fado told him long ago - the secret of her bracelet. Renais is one of the Sacred Stone nations - it houses a Sacred Stone within a temple. But the stone in the temple is fake - the real one lies beneath the royal castle, behind a series of complicated locks. The keys to the locks were also sealed - within bracelets.

59a722ec6a5bf_621.jpg.e6c1818449f82ff1a4631a25b977dcab.jpg

Plot twist! Although, it was actually kind of expected. Regardless, only King Fado and Seth - and now Eirika - know of this secret. Not even Ephraim knows. However, there lies a dilemma:

59a722ef4bac4_622.jpg.0e33722dffd0be19cf083f59cfd45298.jpg

Grado knows the secret of the bracelet. But how?

However, there is a more pressing matter. If Ephraim has truly been captured, that means Grado has one half of the requirements to find Renais's Sacred Stone. Eirika has no time to lose. She gets ready to get invade Fort Renvall, where Ephraim is likely being held captive.

I guess Ephraim is a damsel in distress?

Fun Fact: Promoting Ross is your only chance to get a Pirate in Sacred Stones. (There's a prepromote Berzerker, but I'm getting ahead of myself)

Do you know about the "thing" that happens in a few chapters?

55 minutes ago, KnightOfNohr said:

Fun Fact: Promoting Ross is your only chance to get a Pirate in Sacred Stones. (There's a prepromote Berzerker, but I'm getting ahead of myself)

Do you know about the "thing" that happens in a few chapters?

I was aware of something of that sort; that is indeed why I made him a Pirate.

And... what thing? I guess it depends on which "thing" you are talking about, though I'll likely find out soon enough!