[FE8] A Typical FE8 Draft

Peppy

13 minutes ago, PaulDogg said:

Colm and Duessel mite b cool. Also I might be thinking about the wording too hard, but if Eirika/Ephraim are free does that mean both of them are always free or do you only get one or the other depending on your route? Wouldn't have batted an eye if it said "Eirika, Ephraim, ..."

They are both free for use, even if both are deployed.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, I figured no one would pick Duessel. I'll take Dozla instead then, he's kind of the same right? Also Knoll because Phantoms might be useful for the egg chapter.

Ewan considering that L'Arachel will do nothing useful for me. Training two Trainees will be tons of fun.

So Sturm gets L'Arachel since she's the only one left.

Edited by Peppy

P - 2/2
Torch dat RN.

1 - 5/7
Standard stuff.

2 - 6/13
Moar Eirika solo. With two Strength level ups to boot.

3 - 7/20
Eirika had just enough Strength to break down walls with Neimi in one round. Eirika charged through and Neimi shot down enemies in Eirika's way.

Prologue: 2 Turn 2 Total
Took me a bit to figure out how to do this one right.

Chapter 1: 5 Turn 7 Total

Chapter 2: 5 Turn 12 Total
This was difficult to work out getting Vanessa as much exp as possible. Moulder kinda just visited the north villages since he couldn't be around to heal without taking attention off of Eirika and Vanessa. 

Chapter 3: 6 Turn 18 Total
This took way too long to figure out how to 6 turn. Colm couldn't get exp because he kept taking back his lockpicks from the thief but I don't want to touch this chapter anymore to figure out if there's a way to optimize it.

Chapter 4: 4 Turn 22 Total
Colm handles the northwest mostly. Eirika hangs around the bridge. Vanessa runs around going south, then east to aggro everything, then helps Eirika a bit with the eyes while positioning herself to bop as many zombies as possible. Without rigging a slim lance crit on the last turn, I'd be 1 (one) enemy HP away from 4 turning the map on enemy phase so I rigged it.

Chapter 5: 5 Turn 27 Total
Well, you kind of need Eirika or a mage to take the boss, and I couldn't figure out a decent way to get Vanessa to just carry Eirika up there without dodging a million things. We walked and took the rightmost path, got the armorslayer and recruited Joshua to save us the trouble of fighting him and also for his sweet sword. Moulder took some hits that Natasha would have otherwise been the target of.

Chapter 5x: 7 Turn 34 Total
Maybe having Kyle means I can do this faster, but I just had him get the Killer Lance.

Chapter 6:  3/37
Moulder blazes it with his newly bought torch staff. Colm sees a little bit of combat on his own. Vanessa and Eirika fly to the boss. Eirika's there to take some heat off of Vanessa and get sight on the boss. Vanessa finishes the boss on enemy phase.

Chapter 7: 4/41
You can probably 3 turn this if Vanessa gets Str and Def nearly every level up, but for me, those archers hurt and Vanessa doesn't do a whole lot to the boss. Vanessa carries Eirika to the boss, Colm and Moulder walk around for exp.

Chapter 8: 7/48
This chapter took a few hours to get to 7 turns. We basically rushed the throne and didn't get any treasure. Kyle and Ephraim got some exp. 

I don't know which route is technically faster but it's probably Eirika's.

Chapter 9A: 9/57
This is another chapter that took a while. I think this is as low as I'll be able to get it with Vanessa the way she is now. Vanessa and Eirika fly south. Kyle gallops for the west village. Colm takes care of the northeast with Moulder trying his best to heal but also not be in enemy range. 

Chapter 10A: 3/60
I have Vanessa.

Chapter 11A: 7/67
This chapter is basically finish in 7 or bust because of those NE reinforcements. Colm promotes from level 18, becoming an assassin. Vanessa heads south because she's strong and doesn't mind the trees in the way, and she'll make her way to the west chest. Eirika mostly hangs around the start for the 4/5 turn reinforcements. Tethys dances for Moulder a lot and a bit for Colm and Kyle. Kyle moves as quickly as he can toward the southeast door to aggro that group. Colm cleans up what remains from Kyle's blazing trail so that Tethys and Moulder can follow. Liberal use of my killer weapons.

Edited by PaulDogg

I'll admit that I could have picked more wisely for this draft. Oh well.

4 - 11/31
Picking Neimi was a terrible idea. GBA archers are just horrible. Couldn't have done 10 turns thanks to the reinforcement's wonky AI. Eirika took care of most of the enemies while Lute took care of the bottom right corner. Neimi destroyed the snag and got a small amount of kills.

5 - 6/37
Lots of rigging just to pull this off. Eirika desperately needs a Lancereaver. Lute and Neimi didn't do much since they are frail as all hell.

5x - 8/45
Gotta get dat Chest Key for Elysian Whip.

6 - 5/50
Eirika rush to Novala. Lute and Neimi camp in forests to do their best to stay alive.

7 - 7/57
Eirika treks through the water to seize while Lute and Neimi focus on self-improving.

Unit         Class             Level HP ST SK SP LK DF RS Weapon Ranks
Eirika       Lord              19.91 27 12 20 20 18 07 11 A Swords
Neimi        Archer            04.82 17 06 07 08 05 03 05 D Bows
Lute         Mage              05.57 18 10 06 08 12 03 06 C Anima
Edited by Peppy

Chapter 12A: 11/78
This map is dumb. There's probably optimal places to put Vanessa and have her take out as many monsters as possible but I don't feel like doing any more attempts. Vanessa flew north, everyone else protected Moulder, Tethys, and Saleh from combat. 

Chapter 13A: 2/80
The boss wasn't going down easy unless Kyle was promoted to Great Knight, swinging a halberd around, so I did just that. In other news, I completely forgot Cormag doens't show up until turn 5 on this map, so now I more deeply regret not getting the whip way back when. Maybe I'll get one from the secret shop next map, or maybe I'll wait until the master seal. Vanessa's strong enough, but she could be getting stronger and it's a bit of a bummer.

Chapter 14A: 10/90
Definitely could have saved at least one turn on this try if I wasn't going for the secret shop, and probably another turn or two if I did some rescue chaining and high level stuff.

Prologue: The Fall of Renais.

Turns - 2/2

Seth kills an RN and Eirika gets the bloodlust and goes ham on three unsuspecting Fighters, R.I.P. O'Neill.

Chapter 1: Escape!

Turns - 5/7

Eirika walks to the Gate murdering things on her way Gilliam kills some Soldiers and pokes the reinforcements. Eirka got one great level and one meh level, while Gilliam got a standard Gilliam level Hp/Str/Def, had to burn one RN before the boss fight or Eirika would have missed one of her attacks :rolleyes:

Chapter 2: The Protected

Turns - 5/12

Eirika rolls over most of the Bandits while Gilliam takes the two reinforcements and Garcia and Ross take the Fighter and Archer in the east. I didn't technically need to move anyone else but it changed how Ross and Garcia acted for whatever reason, as did visiting the Red Gem Village, so I just stuck with what worked once I found it. I don't think I'll miss 2500 gold, famous last words. Eirika got another great level up, I would prefer if Gilliam got the good level up, as well as more of the experience, but he did get speed so can't complain.

Unit      Class    Level  HP Atk Skl Spd Lck Def Res Weapon Level
Eirika    Lord     6.35   19 07  10  13  08  05  02  D Swords
Gilliam   Knight   6.18   27 10  06  04  03  10  03  C Lances
Garcia    Fighter  4.00   27 08  07  07  03  05  01  C Axes

@Peppy When it says Seth is banned from all use, is he still allowed to do stuff other undrafted units are allowed to do or is he strictly not allowed to do anything whatsoever?

Edited by Sturm

As far as I know, he can do things the undrafted can since he is really not giving you an upper hand by doing so. If you still feel doubtful about that, just get other units to do trading and whatnot.

Chapter 15A: 7/97
Vanessa is finally a Wyvern Knight, and Moulder got just enough exp last chapter to promote as well, becoming a Bishop. Got some treasure, including Warp. Vanessa did a lot of the heavy lifting and Kyle took care of the NW boss.

Chapter 16: 3/100
Vanessa eats some boots. Moulder with his, like, 10 Magic isn't doing much with warp, but he puts Vanessa and Eirika over the wall and they mosey on up to the throne. 

Chapter 17: 2/102
No matter which way I put it, Vanessa's one tile short of getting a shot at a one turn. I blame Moulder. Used one Warp charge. Two turns did let me give a lot of my units a little exp, so there's that I suppose.

It's cool that you're making videos, Sturm.

Chapter 3: The Bandits of Borgo.

Turns - 6/18

The first map that takes a bit of thought and isn't just going through the motions, in particular not getting blocked by two-range enemies that neither Garcia nor Gilliam can ORKO causing Eirika to not be able to proceed. Seth was helpful here, he blocked the gap in the second wall so the Thief couldn't steal the Chest Key from Garcia while Eirika took Gilliam's Vulnerary so the Thief attacked her and was finished by Gilliam for some nice experience. He also blocked the Archer from attacking Eirika which would have meant Gilliam couldn't kill the Mercenary in her way. 

Chapter 4: Ancient Horrors.

Turns - 4/22

Garcia and Gilliam are very helpful here if you don't have Vanessa or Franz, probably one of their best contributions before the route split. Garcia ran as fast as he could towards the boss while Gilliam helped Eirika break the Snag so she could take care of the enemies around Lute's village before heading back to take out the reinforcements from the north west and Artur took out the Mogalls and Skeletons in the east. Eirika continues to get all the stats and Artur and Garcia also got nice level ups here plus more speed for Gilliam is always welcome.

Unit      Class    Level  HP  Atk Skl Spd Lck Def Res Weapon Level
Eirika    Lord     8.91   20  09  10  15  09  07  04  C Swords
Gilliam   Knight   8.86   29  11  06  05  04  10  04  C Lances
Garcia    Fighter  7.96   30  11  08  08  05  06  02  C Axes
Artur     Monk     4.16   21  08  08  09  03  02  07  D Light

Chapter 18: 7/109
Four or five enemies short of a 6 turn, but I'm far too lazy to see if I can optimize these rout maps.

Chapter 19: 2/111
Another map where Moulder is one magic short of making this a one turn. Vanessa can actually reach the boss with javelins here, but there's two problems. First, she doesn't have sight on the boss and can't initate a player phase attack. Second, she needs two crits/pierces to one round the boss on enemy phase and I'm just not going to reset until that happens.

Chapter 20: 2/113
Well Moulder wasn't exactly warping us aaaaaall the way over there on 11 Magic, so the best we could do is get Vanessa and Eirika out in front of the dragon. Took a lot resets not for rng, but to find the specific positioning of Vanessa dropping Eirika and cantoing a little bit so that nothing blocked the way to the dragon for turn 2. 

Final 1: 2/115
Rescue, Dance, Warp, Move, Wait with Javelins equipped. Enemies suicide. Vidofnir double Pierce without no rigging require, thank you lady luck. I had rescue dropped Tethys to be closer for a warp over to Vanessa if she needed an extra round of combat, but this will certainly do.

Final 2: 1/116
Vanessa double Pierces again somehow, which is nice. Warp Tethys up there to dance Vanessa and let her get the final blow.

116 Turns

Vanessa is practically an unfair advantage for whoever gets first pick, isn't she? Rennac's kind of worthless though, he doesn't get much done in combat and you aren't really opening many chests at that point in the game. Only picked him because he wouldn't really need any training, but it may as well have been a dead pick. What's everyone else's thoughts on promoting a healer in an LTC? Like, do you do it right away, or after hitting a certain benchmark? Moulder slinging light magic actually helped a bit in the desert map, but I probably should have let him get some levels off of using warp before promoting him because his magic stat was trash. Still, he got the job done, like most of my picks. Probably the number one thing I learned is to take those extra ~2 turns to get the first whip if I'm not going Ephraim route. 

Chapter 5: The Empire's Reach.

Turns - 6/28

I had to visit all the villages here to get the Guiding Ring for Artur, if I was going Eirika's route I would wait for the one you get from Pablo but on Ephraim's route you don't get one until later and Artur wouldn't be able to hit Warp in time. It only ended up losing me one turn which I'm pretty pleased with although it did take a while to work out though mostly because I didn't realise Eirika could visit the Secret Book village and still reach Saar by turn six but once I noticed that it was not too hard. Seth, Franz and Vanessa were deployed to help Natasha reach Joshua and to hem an archer in against the wall. Eirka also had to burn quite a few Rapier uses here but I should have more than enough to last until her show down with Tirado (who she's probably going to one round seeing how strong she is:Eirika:).

Chapter 5x: Unbroken Heart

Turns - 7/35

Orson and Ephraim stomp some scrubs the map. Had to burn a few RNs so Ephraim would survive turns three and four but aside from that pretty straight forward. Orson doesn't even need the Silver Sword so Forde took it at the start meaning Orson only made off with a lone Steel Lance. Ephraim didn't quite live up to his sister in terms of level ups but he's Ephraim so I doubt he'll have many issues, plus he'll have plenty of time to level up, one good thing about going Ephraim's route I guess is that both Lord's are likely to be at or near level 20 by the time they can promote.

Eirika    Lord     11.47  23  11  12  15  12  08  04  B Swords
Gilliam   Knight   9.51   30  12  06  06  04  10  04  B Lances
Garcia    Fighter  8.96   30  12  09  08  05  07  02  B Axes
Artur     Monk     5.84   22  09  09  09  03  02  07  D Light
Ephraim   Lord     8.00   27  09  12  12  10  08  02  D Lances

17 hours ago, PaulDogg said:

Vanessa is practically an unfair advantage for whoever gets first pick, isn't she? Rennac's kind of worthless though, he doesn't get much done in combat and you aren't really opening many chests at that point in the game. Only picked him because he wouldn't really need any training, but it may as well have been a dead pick. What's everyone else's thoughts on promoting a healer in an LTC? Like, do you do it right away, or after hitting a certain benchmark? Moulder slinging light magic actually helped a bit in the desert map, but I probably should have let him get some levels off of using warp before promoting him because his magic stat was trash. Still, he got the job done, like most of my picks. Probably the number one thing I learned is to take those extra ~2 turns to get the first whip if I'm not going Ephraim route. 

Yeah, getting first pick and being able to take the first flier is always a big boon. Rennac's basically a dump pick true but then so are Marisa, L'Arachel and Ewan more or less I suppose Ewan gets 15 free levels so less so for him. Healers are kind of tough to use in an LTC I feel because their exp gain is so slow, Moulder promoting around desert sounds about right but from there all chapter's are Warp skips aside from one so there's not much room to level up in battle, Natasha would have it even worse. Their magic stat just ends up being really low no matter what, especially as they tend to start with low base magic as well; Moulder has 4, Natasha 2, which is not so good seeing as their main purpose is for warping. They also have the downside of being useless in rout maps and are even a hindrance due to enemies targeting them. Personally I would have taken Lute over Moulder much harder to hit Warp in time true, though if you're diligent about it I definitely think it's doable by chapter 16 on Eirika's route at least, and you actually have someone with good Warp range and combat once she gets rolling. In a game like FE7 where there are lots of defend maps it's not so bad though, as they will actually have time to level once promoted. Still any Warper is definitely better than no Warper at the end of the day even if they only have five or six range.

I see! Thanks for the insight, I was wondering if my experience with Moulder just comes from being new to drafts in general. Lute over Moulder would certainly have been a better pick in hindsight, but then Peppy would probably have an even more brutal early game to go through. Still, yeah, having Moulder even with his 5 warp range, 6 for the final map, was a big help nonetheless. 

Also, I like you what you did for chapter 5 on your run. That archer can be a real nuisance and is basically the reason why I had my team barrel down the right side, and it's cool that you're getting all the mileage you can out of the undrafted units. I wouldn't have thought to use them like that.

8 - 14/71
This map was a nightmare. I took the bottom route since it was easier to get the Elysian Whip that way and dealing with all those Armors with my frail units was just not happening. Eirika made her way to the Throne, Ephraim made a beeline to kill Tirado. Lute and Neimi just killed enemies that were in the way and worked together to get the Elysian Whip.

Chapter 6: Victims of War.

Turns - 4/39

Fairly easy map, Gilliam and Garcia rescue drop Eirika onto the forest so she can reach Novala by turn four and then they and Artur self improve while she does her thing. Got the Iron Blade which might be useful for Garcia once he becomes a Hero as well as the Elixir, unfortunately no Halberd which is a shame. I also bought a Torch Staff for Artur to spam on Phantom Ship.

Eirika    Lord     13.27  25  11  13  17  13  08  08  B Swords
Gilliam   Knight   10.79  31  13  07  06  04  10  04  B Lances
Garcia    Fighter  10.49  32  14  11  08  05  08  02  B Axes
Artur     Monk     7.47   24  10  10  11  04  02  08  D Light

Chapter 7: Waterside Renvall.

There's not much you can do here to save any turns if you don't have Vanessa or Pirate!Ross, it's just up to Eirika to walk over the river and head to the Gate while others mingle around self improving. Garcia and Artur dropped Eirika onto the river on turn one which saves one turn while Gilliam went off to try and get as much experience as he could before his promotion next chapter, unfortunately he was about 1 kill away from level 13, maybe I can get him one last level before he promotes next chapter it won't be the end of the world if he can't get it though.

Eirika    Lord     15.24  27  13  15  18  15  10  08  B Swords
Gilliam   Knight   12.75  33  14  08  07  05  12  04  B Lances
Garcia    Fighter  10.68  32  14  11  08  05  08  02  B Axes
Artur     Monk     8.57   24  11  11  12  05  02  09  D Light

Chapter 8: It's a Trap!

Turns - 6/51

So I actually spent quite a bit of time devising a plan to get both Artur and Gilliam in range to kill Tirado on turn 6 with Eirika in range to seize which allowed Gilliam to get one last level as a Knight. It looked pretty cool and involved such things as Garcia chugging two Elixirs whilst carrying Artur plus Gilliam actually got a six stat level up as a result, but then it all was for nought because Artur did six damage to Tirado nowhere near enough for Gilliam to finish him because of course Thrones give +5 resistance which I had completely forgotten about, c'est la vie. After that ill fated detour Gilliam just promoted to Great Knight before the map and using his new horse was able to move just far enough to drop Eirika in front of Tirado on turn five who she promptly deleted from the game. Garcia grabbed the Angelic Robe while Ephraim got some nice experience in the south. I also deployed Seth, Vanessa and Franz so I could trade chain the Silver Sword over to Eirika, no one else is going to be using it at least before she rejoins and it could be helpful for her to have in chapter 15.

Unit      Class         Level    HP  Atk Skl Spd Lck Def Res Weapon Level
Eirika    Lord          16.62    28  13  16  19  16  10  08  A Swords
Gilliam   Great Knight  12/2.40  37  16  10  09  05  15  06  E Sword, D Axes, A Lances
Garcia    Fighter       11.83    33  15  12  08  05  08  02  B Axes
Artur     Monk          9.68     25  12  11  12  05  03  10  D Light
Ephraim   Lord          11.09    30  11  14  14  12  09  03  B Lances