Conquest is the most nerve-racking game I've played

Ronnie

On 7/8/2017 at 9:19 PM, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Anyways, if chapter 18 took a lot out of you, wait until chapter 20.

Super late reply but felt like sharing anyways: I hadn't touched Conquest in a while and decided to tackle chapter 20 today. Just beat it in one try but it took me 24 turns lmao. I took my precious time with the wind to make sure I got all the chests without getting jumped. It did take a lot out of me so thanks for the warning! xD

5 hours ago, MeddlingMage said:

I'm still having trouble with Chapter 19.    Ugh.   This is worse than 18. 

Is not so hard, if you equip beast killer to Effie and to another character with high defense, just keep your mages and healers as far from the enemy sight.  

For me chapter 20(Fugas wind ride), 25 (if you want to get the loot)  and 26 (staff paradise of hell) are the most annoying and hard one.

9 hours ago, MeddlingMage said:

I'm still having trouble with Chapter 19.    Ugh.   This is worse than 18. 

Do you have any Hunter's Knives or Hunter's Bows? Oui? Then use them - they're free damage against the Kitsunes.

On 1.8.2017 at 6:26 PM, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Do you have any Hunter's Knives or Hunter's Bows? Oui? Then use them - they're free damage against the Kitsunes.

That is, if you even manage to hit them.

Because hitting those guys is easier said than done with Fates' wonky RNG which does love to screw you over one too many times, at least it happened to me. Your Hunter's Knife or Hunter's Bow user will probably be squishy (as in: Niles, Mozu, Kaze, Nina, Bow Knight!Selena), so they'll die if they miss. And even then, bonus damage only does so much. Unless you have (weapon)faire skills or Life and Death, the Kitsune won't die and as they are fast as hell, you aren't doubling them either.
Couple that with the *ahem* gimmick of this map and you have one of the most annoying maps in the franchise. I only beat it thanks to having Certain Blow on almost all of my units on Hard difficulty (which I still have not beaten, by the way). The ones that didn't have the skill were pretty much dead weight as well as anyone on horseback. 

I got stuck on Chapter 20 and went to play a different game instead to take a break, that's how much it frustrated me.

Ignore this part if you're tired of me ranting about Conquest's difficulty.
I know I may be incompetent, but I swear from Chapter 17 onwards, the game is DESIGNED to f*** you over and incentivise you to buy skills from other people's castles.
If anyone knows how to speak German I recommend you to watch Let's Player lookslikelink's final episode of Fire Emblem Fates Conquest. Many of the points he makes I can totally agree with about the gameplay.

If anything, I really don't see how Conquest is anything but unfair in higher difficulties, but maybe my definition of what's fair and what isn't is different from others'? I honestly have no idea. If anyone is willing to talk to me about this and maybe offer me a different perspective, I'd be happy to listen.

Conquest may be remarkably difficult, but I always found it to be fair....for the most part. Having a unit felled by 1% critical is no fun.

As for the chapter with all kitsune's, I was able to surround Jacob with high defense units and rally defense units. He was completely protected while picking enemies off with hunter knives. It was quite enjoyable.

Personally, I'm having more of a nerve wracking time with Awakening's reinforcements than I ever did with Lunatic conquest (played fates first, just now playing awakening.) So much so, that I abandoned my classic hard awakening playthrough and started on Casual mode. 

Every player is different. An easy game for one player is a frustration fest for another.

1 hour ago, DarkDefeater said:

Every player is different. An easy game for one player is a frustration fest for another.

This so much.
I have a very hard time enjoying my current Hard mode playthrough of Conquest. Right now, the only thing it lacks to become my most hated game of all time is ambush spawns, that's how far it has pushed me.
But I do not intend to put anyone who likes the game or thinks it is fair down, because I am aware that I am not the best Fire Emblem player out there and Conquest is giving me a run for my money that will end in my personal demise.
I still think the game is incredibly unfair in some of its enemy placement, skill distribution (enemies having skills you cannot get normally (Staff Savant, Point Blank, Inevitable End, Bold Stance, Grisly Wound on everything that isn't a Wolfskin or Kitsune, Draconic Hex on everything that isn't Corrin or his / her children) is unfair by default, in my eyes) and the sudden power level increase midway through.

Enjoy Awakening's Valm Arc were the enemies are all high movement, promoted units that come in great numbers and will overwhelm you if you aren't careful. That has given me an incredibly hard time on my first time through as well, only stopping after I realised how OP Manaketes in that game are.