Do you use Dancers (and other refreshers)?

Do you use Dancers(and other refreshers)?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use Dancers?

• Yes
    • Sometimes
    • No

eh, really just depends on if I like them a lot

i didn't use tethys and I think I stopped using azura pretty early on, but I did use reyson and ninian and leen

I only used Olivia and Azura because they were able to fight back if needed. Other dancers in previous games don't have that luxury to my knowledge so they're dead weight to me.

19 minutes ago, unique said:

i didn't use tethys and I think I stopped using azura pretty early on, but I did use reyson and ninian and leen

Yeah, Tethys is probably among the worst of the Dancers. No ability to buff, can only refresh one unit at a time, can't attack.

I still find myself using her anyways though.

I use them more often than not nowadays, even though I didn't when I was younger. They don't compete for EXP with anyone else, and just fielding another unit doesn't replicate all of what refreshers can do. And in the case of the Herons and Ninian/Nils, multi-refresh and the rings (Ninis's Grace's +10 Def & Res can make a big difference for one enemy phase) are things you absolutely couldn't do even if you had fielded another unit.

The one instance where I really don't bother with one at all is Olivia. Awakening's giant flat open maps with an enemy phase the size of Jupiter aren't very conducive to refreshers, as it makes the player phase near-meaningless outside of Lunatic+ and Apo. Olivia can fight sure, but she is terrible without loads of grinding. Other games do have maps where refreshers aren't exactly able to perform their job all that safely (siege tomes and ballistae are a common cause of this), but Awakening is the worst when it comes to it. I do miss having one in SoV (Anew takes three centuries to learn, so practically speaking it doesn't count).

Every time. There really are barely any situations in the series where it's more beneficial to not bring your dancer than it is to bring them to the chapter.

Edited by SecondWorld

It depends on the game for me.  The Herons are almost mandatory for me in the Tellius games, but in every other iteration except for Awakening and Fates I only used them if I feel like it or to help Arena Abuse faster.  Didn't exactly use Olivia as a dancer too much, but I did use Azura quite a bit.

1 minute ago, I'm a Spheal said:

The ability to let someone move again is fantastic; I use them.

This, basically. Dancers are probably the only non-lord characters that I use in every playthrough of every game; I just love their versatility. Even when they can't do anything but refresh a single unit, like Lalum and Tethys, I always find them more useful and fun than almost every other unit.

I only remember using Ninian and Nils when I was younger. Now I almost always use them.  Tethys is the only exception. If I ever replay Awakening I probably wouldn't bother with Olivia either.

Sometimes yes.

Olivia and Azura were more so combat units for me, I used Ninian and Nils solely because they could buff stats. I always used the Herons, IMO, they do their jobs as refreshers best. I never really used the other dancers much, with the exception of Lara in Thracia for some parts and also Sylvia to pair her up.

Depends on how much I like the unit, I guess, and how much I like the other characters relative. I don't use them much in FE6, FE10, or FE13.

Eh depends. I used Azura a lot because she can fight back without much extra work, but I didn't really use Olivia much after a couple of maps because I preferred having somebody that could do more damage without needing to put the extra work into them.

Not sure why one would not use them. Even at their worst they are still essentially all of your best units at once.

Well technically I did not use Olivia but that's because of Awakening's map design. Like, the Serenes in Radiant Dawn are made of paper mache too. But in Awakening I had no idea how I could possibly cover Olivia's frail butt while still keeping her anywhere close to the front lines. Fortunately this wasn't an issue in Fates at all, at least in Conquest. I still would have preferred if Azura could at least survive a single round of combat though.

Edited by BrightBow

On a more realistic note, how on earth could there be dancers on a battlefield? And how does dancing make a soldier more inclined to have another go at killing an enemy? Does Olivia dance and pass a can of Red Bull with a Silver Sword or something?

Sometimes.

I had runs when I seriously tried utilizing dancers but I felt like I was forcing it. There are not disadvantages to your units moving again but... I guess that is not how I usually play? So I mostly fill the spot with someone else.

Depends on the game as well. I actually got Thetys to LV20 but then realized I was mostly looking for excuses to move her than anything else :D

Ninian/Nils are cool though!

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

On a more realistic note, how on earth could there be dancers on a battlefield? And how does dancing make a soldier more inclined to have another go at killing an enemy? Does Olivia dance and pass a can of Red Bull with a Silver Sword or something?

lmao :D

Honestly, I think you have to look at it as turns lasting longer than a minute of gameplay time. I think the dancers entertain others while in the camp with their army or something. Although yeah, on some maps it is probably just that. Red Bull and cookies!