Is the Weapon Triangle necessary or effective?

Ronnie

7 minutes ago, SpearOfLies said:

I feel it have more potential strategically and game design. It's not necessary but I will feel less "fire emblem" if they decide to remove them from not-remake game. It's one of feature than make fire emblem unique than plain regardless its utility.

I don't know way but I feel that the WTA scaling with weapon rank or I'm wrong?

Yeah, the WTB has been dependent on the rank of the advantaged side since Shadow Dragon.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

On 10.07.2017 at 8:46 PM, Azz said:

(Especially in 5 because your hit rates only went from 1-99 and not 1-100)

In Thracia, WTA/D was +/− whole 5 hit. Yeah, WT mattered in Thracia so much.

21 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

In Thracia, WTA/D was +/− whole 5 hit. Yeah, WT mattered in Thracia so much.

Oh I never realised. I thought Thracia had the same A/D of Genealogy. My mistake. Thanks.

It's just another one of those features that make FE what it is. Gives variety, as well as a sense to make you use certain weapon types. And hell, it's fun.

Heroes takes this up an extra notch.

Don't fix if it ain't broke.

It helps in early game but it stops being that relevant after mid-game.

I think weapon triangle should work differently. For example, instead of giving hit bonuses vs other weapons, I think each weapon should have their own quirks that put them in advantage or disadvantage, like axes being really strong, but heavy (thus not likely to double, but they deal enough damage to OHKO sometimes and save yourself from being counterattacked), while swords have mediocre strength but allow doubling more easily (potentially giving as much damage as an axe, but at the cost of dealing with an enemy attack retaliation) and lances always attack first if the enemy wasn't previously directly adjacent to the unit's square, but only counterattack later (combat against them, when your unit can double, would be like fighting while using a Brave weapon).

4 hours ago, Rapier said:

It helps in early game but it stops being that relevant after mid-game.

I think weapon triangle should work differently. For example, instead of giving hit bonuses vs other weapons, I think each weapon should have their own quirks that put them in advantage or disadvantage, like axes being really strong, but heavy (thus not likely to double, but they deal enough damage to OHKO sometimes and save yourself from being counterattacked), while swords have mediocre strength but allow doubling more easily (potentially giving as much damage as an axe, but at the cost of dealing with an enemy attack retaliation) and lances always attack first if the enemy wasn't previously directly adjacent to the unit's square, but only counterattack later (combat against them, when your unit can double, would be like fighting while using a Brave weapon).

The way you describe swords and axes is basically how they've always been (with any system that has weight at any rate).