Who do you hate seeing on a map

jameslove001

I have had my fair share of learning how to deal with certain characters and learning who has the ability to counter who. Because I run a typical team of Olivia, Julia, Tharja and Donnel, I have found ways to deal with some of the bigs like Ryoma, Ike, Hector and Nino with Tharja, Azura and any blue mage with Julia and most distant counters by using Donnel to pull them into range where someone else can counter them pretty well. But there are still a few people I hate encountering on a map, whether it is Xander or Eldigan (because the horsies can get to me before I am ready), Gordin, because he is particularly tanky with Donnel doing little damage or any dagger user, because of trying to get in a good position for Donnel to hit them and a mage to finish them. I think beyond that group I have learned how to be pretty successful. 

Who do you hate encountering on a map?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally my team is typically well rounded enough to handle a situation...

BUT ON SOME MAPS ITS HELL >_< like the "Updated" arena maps...

I typically run Olivia (4star) Julia/Nino, Lucina and Sharena. Basically a Waifu squad XD... They typically can take some damage or instantly kill whoever they face but sometimes due to map placements like the new lava one can make matchup hell if your opponent has a dancer on their side... mainly because if its dancer plus their ranged unit next to them... then GG.

as for normal ones I typically hate Takumi as (I normally Run Julia but shes getting phased slowly by nino who I gave skill inheritance too) is put in a badsituation as with Hone attack and Spur attack sometimes doesn't do enough to OHKO takumi, and instead OHKOs me back. Then that Takumi has Vengance setted up and I'm completely screwed!

At least for Tempest trials the teams are much easier in my books... the only map I have trouble with my first team (Horseemblem first with 4 Star Camus, 4 Star Eliwood, 4 Star Cecilla with Gronnblade + and Olwen 5 star.) can have major troubles when dealing in the "Alm Paralogue PT 3 map" due to the wooded areas around them. But other than that map... all the tempest trials this time around is easy to set up and kill (except for final map) with Horseblem team.

Anyone with a Firesweep anything, which seems to be growing increasingly common in the 730-736 arena.

I typically play using enemy phase teams, and it's incredibly annoying to deal with these units. Firesweep Bow+ Cordelia is particularly annoying because I can't get weapon triangle advantage against her with my usual team.

The fact that I don't want to deal with these units at all is the main reason I've been hunting out 740 teams, which are currently all composed of easy-to-deal-with armors.

In the arena, I'll just surrender if I see the top team with a flier or cavalry because it usually means a full team of them and it's usually very difficult for me to beat those without losing someone, so I'd rather give up the one sword and keep my score. Firesweep weapons and green mages also tend to be a pain for my team of Hector, Nowi, Eirika, and [bonus unit] (currently Peri), although Hector can often OHKO Nino so Julia is the real problem.

In the Tempest Trials, anyone with Wings of Mercy, but especially Faye for having WoM and Firesweep Bow, with my starter team being Tharja, Azura, Hector, Priscilla.

I think my issue is just the maps in general. Like, there are times where i feel like i could've won, but lost because of the map layout. Maps with lots of trees are probably the worst since they fuck with my Calvary units. 

But when it comes to units specifically, i've always dreaded fighting Takumi and Ryoma, especially if the former has Vantage. And i'm starting to see Dancers way more often now, and I particularly nasty encounter with a Bride Caeda left me dreading her every time i encounter one in the Arena.

2 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

Takumi. Just. Screw Takumi. I even have him and I feel like an awful person for using him.

Amen, man. Amen. I agree with you there. I have learned that if I have Tharja take care of him, I can be okay. The worst I ran into though was Takumi, Hector, Ike and Azura...since Tharja is who I use for all three. She obviously couldn't take the counters for all three.

3 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

Takumi. Just. Screw Takumi. I even have him and I feel like an awful person for using him.

Takumi was the sole reason the first ever inheritance I did was giving Lilina Bowbreaker 3. (almost) Never regret.

Henry.  His defense is just so damn high when you're trying to kill everyone with Bride!Cordelia he always just sits there smiling.

6 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

You just need some kind of brave user.  Whether it be dire thunder with Olwen and Reinhardt or Bride!Cordelia/Klein/Summer!Gaius.

Edited by Lushen

Kagero and Takumi are the ones that give me the most trouble since my top team has 2 flyers right now.  Takumi I can work around if I am careful but Kagero just messes my team up to the point I will lose.

Right now a horse emblem team will kill me dead 8/10 those other two times are when I can fanagle Reinhardt and Xander away from each other and keep Soren out of Rein's range on the enemy phase. 

Full Horse Emblem in the arena is lethal at times. So is S!Camilla Flier Emblem if I cannot bait and remove her.

In the current Tempest I run a core of Azura/Tharja/Julia with Lukas as my bonus unit and physical tank, and the main things that cause an early death are high-Res colorless units. Felicia, Niles and Faye are the main ones, and Kagero becomes a tossup when Tharja is not in Desperation range. Next in line are other bow users and red mages since Julia can't safely bait them. Maps play a big role in this: these threats are less troublesome when isolated but when they're clumped together on Alm 2 or Celica 2 you can end up being forced to lose a unit early. Celica 1 is this for the opposite reason: it drags on considerably, especially when I have to use my B team there early (said B team is budget full Horse Emblem).

I hate seeing any dancers, Hector, and Peri.

I used to have trouble with Takumi, but now my Reinhardt eats him up (and all bow-users in general). I also used to have trouble with Ryoma, Xander, and other sword-units, but my Cordelia is now specifically set up to destroy them.

I hate seeing mages. Always. On any map.

Particularly Linde, who is too fast for her own good.

Also Boey, who is too physically bulky for his own good. I'm also starting to hate Celica on the Tempest Trial maps.

I can deal with one, maybe two, but most of my favorite units have trash RES, so they get bodied pretty quick. I piss my breeches when the map is all mages. 

I mean, I can work around them, but I hate having to do so. 

Horse Emblem, Flier Emblem with S! Camilla, Firesweep Bow B! Cordelia and Azura. Those always ruin my deathless arena runs, Reinhardt can be annoying but he's so common that I don't have to worry about him because I always have a counter these days.

I only hate seeing pony teams on the Arena map with parallel bridges in rotation 1. I have no space to maneuver and enemy ponies just rush me.

Other than that specific team and map combination I can deal with pretty much anything.

Full Horse Emblem teams with Gronnblade Cecilia on it (since it's possible for her to OHKO Xander).

Buff Bladetome teams since they almost always contain a dancer on it (usually Azura).

Any team with a dancer on it (unless everybody on the team runs an assist skill).

I have most trouble with dancers, espcially a dancer teaming up with Firesweep Cordelia and Reinhardt. The main reason is because I only have 1 unit to tank both of them and with a dancer they can both attack him on the same turn, which guarantees a death.

Just dancers.

Otherwise, I have full color control with three units, which means I have a spare slot for whatever I need.  It was funtimes when Jakob was the bonus unit~!