Introducing your friends to Fire Emblem

Ronnie

Have you ever introduced a friend to Fire Emblem? If so, with what game?

My friend's a huge RPG fan so I had her try out Awakening. She chose Normal/Casual since Permadeath was alien to her. She created her character and skipped most of the dialogue so I had to teach her the mechanics. She fell in love with the cutscenes and after the 2nd mission she was glued to the 3DS and just kept playing in silence lol. She's Japanese and loves her culture so maybe I should have started her with Birthright since it fits more but I'm biased towards Awakening and was more familiar with its mechanics.

I introduced my best friend into Awakening since he wanted to know what games to get on the 3DS.  He had a blast with it and definitely wanted to try to break the game by giving the characters the most OP of skills and find out the best parent combos and the such.  He even did a Lunatic playthrough because he enjoyed the game for what it was.  However, it's his only Fire Emblem game he's played since he doesn't game as much anymore.

I bought my brother Awakening for his birthday last year. He married Chrom off to the villager (quite a feat) and got halfway through the game before running into problems because he had no real idea how to play, haha. I don't believe he ever completed it.

Funny thing is, I myself was introduced to the series through a friend...

2 hours ago, Res said:

... married Chrom off to the villager (quite a feat)...

... and this very thing happened to me on my first playthrough.  I wasn't even trying, either; I married my avatar to Sumia (and to this day, my sister seems to think that she's my favorite lady from Awakening for this very reason) and I didn't have him support any other ladies, really.  I didn't even have him pair up with Olivia; I thought I'd have more time to get him married, then I hit C11 and it just happened.  It was extremely disappointing.

Anyway, I haven't really "introduced" it to others, but I did talk to a very close friend of mine about it at his B-Day party last year, and he did mention he played one of the GBA ones (probably Sacred Stones).  I told him he should definitely get FE: Awakening or maybe Birthright, but highly recommended the former first.  I don't know if he's gotten into it at all; most of my friends have sort of moved on from playing anything more than casual smartphone/tablet games.  Maybe next time I ought to tell him about FE Heroes.

In high school a friend was creating a smash bros. comic but didn't know anything about the fire emblem nerds. I let him borrow my copy of path of radiance. He loved it, and the sequel which I was also fortunate to have picked up. Then Awakening came out two years later, and I was suddenly surrounded by classmates that introduced themselves to the series with that game. Holy moly.

12 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

Everybody says that when I tell this story

It's like nobody on this site has any trusted friends ~

More like I prefer keeping my games in good condition but my friends just jam the case in their bags before heading over to give it back to me. Already had my Awakening case all dented and bought a replacement lol.

25 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Shoot, if I had Path of Radiance I wouldn't let anyone touch it lol

The only reason I got to play PoR and RD in the first place was because a friend lent them to me.  I lent him Sacred Stones and Shadow Dragon in return.

I've tried to introduce friends to FE, but haven't had too much success.  Two of my friends have played Awakening and one played Conquest, but both of them did that of their own volition. 

I find that FE is something not many people I know are willing to try.

My Mum first introduced me to FE7 and I asked to borrow it off her and never gave it back. Then I recently suggested that my sister played Awakening and now she's pretty hooked on the series. I've not had much luck other than that.

59 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

I have trusted friends, but none of them have ever touched my PoR because any kind of accident could happen.

I remember having two of my brothers try out PoR some time after I first got it (it was my first FE). The older one decided he liked games like Zelda more, where you move one character through an overworld and all that. That's cool, strategy RPG isn't for everyone. :P I think my younger one liked it okay, I don't really remember. I just know he didn't finish it because he kind of never finished games. He seemed to always move on to something else and forget about what he'd already started.

And that's the best I've got here...

Edited by Anacybele

I bought a friend Conquest for her birthday recently because it was cheaper than Awakening and her boyfriend wasn't fast enough getting back to me about which of the versions of Fates she had tried. Other than chapter 10 she seems to be having a great time. 

I convinced another friend to get Heroes awhile back, but she doesn't have any Nintendo consoles so she's a bit limited. I think I'll try to force her to play some of Awakening during our 8 hour flight next week though. 

I've gotten several friends into Fire Emblem over the years, always starting with FE7. One of them became a huge fan, most of the rest took to it at least reasonably.

On 2017-07-10 at 11:54 PM, Gustavos said:

Yeah I'm with you on this one for sure. If a friend damages a case or something, so what? That stuff doesn't matter. Getting others to play and enjoy the games you love is easily worth it.

Just my cousin who's a year younger than I. I was seen playing Birthright a lot when he was around, so he decided to get Conquest. He's beaten it and is playing Heroes with me.

My brother tries it on my game, but he stops after like 4 chapters and never touches it. He gets upset if I delete his files though. :/

Edited by KongDude

• 2 weeks later...