The main character in Smash?

I'd sit and be amused by the inevitable salt from there being a seventh Fire Emblem character.

Beyond that, I can't say anything, since we don't know anything about this game and its protagonist by extension.  

Considering we don't know the slightest bit about the characters, no idea, though I can see others going crazy over another sword-wielder. If we have someone using an axe or lance, that'd be cool.

I would react pretty negatively if it's a character from a game that has yet to reach the west, like when Corrin was announced. But without knowing more about FE Switch or Smash 5, it's hard to say. If Smash 5 isn't an enhanced port, and instead is a refocused game with a severely shrunken roster, then I have my doubts anybody besides Marth/Lucina would appear initially. So a second representative would be nice to see, even if their sole purpose is to advertise an upcoming game. Welcome to FE representation in Smash.

It depends on when SSBS releases. This game could possibly fall into a ditch. We haven't heard anything about SSBS (or SSB4S) at all yet. If it's a Deluxe version of 4, that might come out too late for FES. If it's a real SSB5, then it might release too soon to make it in.

3 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

If Smash 5 isn't an enhanced port, and instead is a refocused game with a severely shrunken roster

I can hear the screams right now at this statement! Cutting the roster significantly, while normal by other fighting game standards, would result in a lot of whining with Smash. I mean we the FE community alone would enter a war with such statements as "Marth is ancient- retire him now!" "Attention! It's bird hunting season on Robins!" "Clones we moan, Lucina, never wanna see ya!" "Corrin nobody is mournin'!" "Roy is my disowned boy!" "We dislike Ike!".

Then we get to axing the Nintendo retro-ites (Rob, Little Mac, MG&W, Duck Hunt), the characters with dead franchises (Earthbound, F-Zero, Wii Fit, Kid Icarus), and others like Rosalina and Jigglypuff who don't really matter majorly anymore to their series. No amount of actually playing Smash could alleviate all the the rage and frustration.

9 hours ago, Glaceon Sage said:

I'd sit and be amused by the inevitable salt from there being a seventh Fire Emblem character.

Beyond that, I can't say anything, since we don't know anything about this game and its protagonist by extension.  

Same with the salt thing. It's pretty inevidable that they would add the new character, considering the past (Melee=Roy, Brawl=Ike, Sm4sh=Lucina, Robin and Corrin). It'd be even more shocking if they added Alm though. 

If there's one thing I know, one of the FE characters in Smash 4 is going to get dropped, and I have a feeling it's Lucina. 

@International Observer You do realize that they can just keep the same physics as Sm4sh right? That way, they can just import the majority of the models, animations, etc from Sm4sh into Sma5h and not much work will need to be done. True, there are still going to be characters that'll be removed, and I have a feeling Lucina is going to get cut due to just being female marth without the tipper and was going to be an alt skin anyway. If they cut her and add the new character, the FE representation will remain with 6 characters. Besides, Roy was put into Melee to promote BB so why not add the new character? And what's so wrong with getting rid of the classic characters, outside of the OG 12? No one wanted Duck Hunt Dog, Bowser Jr., etc? 

Edited by AmericanBuizel

11 minutes ago, AmericanBuizel said:

Same with the salt thing. It's pretty inevidable that they would add the new character, considering the past (Melee=Roy, Brawl=Ike, Sm4sh=Lucina, Robin and Corrin). It'd be even more shocking if they added Alm though. 

If there's one thing I know, one of the FE characters in Smash 4 is going to get dropped, and I have a feeling it's Lucina. 

@International Observer You do realize that they can just keep the same physics as Sm4sh right? That way, they can just import the majority of the models, animations, etc from Sm4sh into Sma5h and not much work will need to be done. True, there are still going to be characters that'll be removed, and I have a feeling Lucina is going to get cut due to just being female marth without the tipper and was going to be an alt skin anyway. If they cut her and add the new character, the FE representation will remain with 6 characters. Besides, Roy was put into Melee to promote BB so why not add the new character? And what's so wrong with getting rid of the classic characters, outside of the OG 12? No one wanted Duck Hunt Dog, Bowser Jr., etc? 

I find the first part of your post somewhat ironic, considering what I have seen of you elsewhere on the forums regarding things like localization and FE15's sales vs 13/14's.

Also, regarding the last statement, there is *always* someone who would miss [insert literally any character] if they got cut.  Any character would get backlash from someone for being removed.  Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr. do have fans.  

I would miss Dark Pit if he got removed, even though he's a clone, because I happen to like Dark Pit quite a bit.  And he's possibly even clonier than Lucina is aside from his Final Smash.

45 minutes ago, AmericanBuizel said:

I'm not against dropping characters or adding a new FE one, I'm just saying that people in general will be raging against it. But then again, what makes that different from anything else on the Internet?

8 hours ago, Gustavos said:

I would react pretty negatively if it's a character from a game that has yet to reach the west, like when Corrin was announced. But without knowing more about FE Switch or Smash 5, it's hard to say. If Smash 5 isn't an enhanced port, and instead is a refocused game with a severely shrunken roster, then I have my doubts anybody besides Marth/Lucina would appear initially.

Sakurai is well known FE fan, so it won't happen. If anything it would be

So a second representative would be nice to see, even if their sole purpose is to advertise an upcoming game. Welcome to the Donkey Kong and Metroid representation in Smash.

15 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Sakurai is well known FE fan, so it won't happen. If anything it would be

He is a fan of FE. Along with dozens of other franchises, many of which are not Nintendo. He's just a gamer on the side. And probably the only Japanese person that owns an Xbox. that's how diverse his experiences are. And he repeatedly says he doesn't let his personal tastes conflict with character inclusion. Here is evidence suggesting this:

Marth was planned for Smash 64, but scrapped when they decided they could create more characters with shared assets, Jigglypuff made from Kirby, Luigi from Mario, etc. He always believed Fire Emblem was popular enough to warrant a representative. But instead of letting his favoritism influence his decisions, he said no to making Marth in favor of more fan favorites from other franchises. In Melee, Roy started as an unnamed Marth clone since Roy's game was in constant development hell. The appearance, personality, and even name of Roy kept changing. They went ahead in making him with confidence that FE6 would release before Melee. It did not. In Brawl, Ike was included by IS' request over just remaking Roy since they believed Melee primed the west for their series and wanted that magic to happen again for Tellius. If Sakurai had this irrational love for the series, he would have made all three. The concept for Chrom was scrapped when the team wasn't confident they could make him feel unique, so they made Robin in his place. And Lucina is the alt-turned-clone character made during excess development time. Roy's DLC, like Mewtwo and Lucas, is the result of fan outcry from their exclusion.

Corrin is the most probable counter-argument. Corrin was the result of a request from Nintendo to promote a new first party title. Corrin's spot potentially would have been taken by a Xenoblade Chronicle X rep, and it's anybody's guess on how they decided on promoting Fates instead.

I'm sure there will be another FE character either in the base game or DLC. I'm confident that Marth/Robin/Ike will be in the base game but Lucina/Roy/Corrin might be cut or be DLC only.

No idea about what the FE Switch protagonist will be like but if he's has some trait that sets him apart from our current FE representatives, I'm sure he'll make it in the game. FE returning to consoles is huge, so I don't think they'll skip the chance to promote it on another Switch title.

6 hours ago, Glaceon Sage said:

I find the first part of your post somewhat ironic, considering what I have seen of you elsewhere on the forums regarding things like localization and FE15's sales vs 13/14's.

Also, regarding the last statement, there is *always* someone who would miss [insert literally any character] if they got cut.  Any character would get backlash from someone for being removed.  Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr. do have fans.  

I would miss Dark Pit if he got removed, even though he's a clone, because I happen to like Dark Pit quite a bit.  And he's possibly even clonier than Lucina is aside from his Final Smash.

I'm simply a fan with more money compared to when I was a kid that doesn't want his products censored (Not talking about the petting mini game btw) or casualized (outside of the casual mode). If they want my money, they need to treat their fans seriously. I've criticized this newer direction because I think it's horrible and is turning FE into something I don't like. And yes, I do partly blame the newer fans for this, considering they're buying the games, ergo giving Nintendo more money, which tells them to make more crap. Besides, I was hoping Echoes' sales would be on par with Awakening/Fates to show IS that we the veteran fans are tired of this weeaboo and casual pandering that they're doing and want more challenging games like Echoes, but was disappointed in how it flopped in the end. Money speaks to these companies louder than words. 

3 hours ago, Gustavos said:

He is a fan of FE. Along with dozens of other franchises, many of which are not Nintendo. He's just a gamer on the side. And probably the only Japanese person that owns an Xbox. that's how diverse his experiences are. And he repeatedly says he doesn't let his personal tastes conflict with character inclusion. Here is evidence suggesting this:

Marth was planned for Smash 64, but scrapped when they decided they could create more characters with shared assets, Jigglypuff made from Kirby, Luigi from Mario, etc. He always believed Fire Emblem was popular enough to warrant a representative. But instead of letting his favoritism influence his decisions, he said no to making Marth in favor of more fan favorites from other franchises. In Melee, Roy started as an unnamed Marth clone since Roy's game was in constant development hell. The appearance, personality, and even name of Roy kept changing. They went ahead in making him with confidence that FE6 would release before Melee. It did not. In Brawl, Ike was included by IS' request over just remaking Roy since they believed Melee primed the west for their series and wanted that magic to happen again for Tellius. If Sakurai had this irrational love for the series, he would have made all three. The concept for Chrom was scrapped when the team wasn't confident they could make him feel unique, so they made Robin in his place. And Lucina is the alt-turned-clone character made during excess development time. Roy's DLC, like Mewtwo and Lucas, is the result of fan outcry from their exclusion.

Corrin is the most probable counter-argument. Corrin was the result of a request from Nintendo to promote a new first party title. Corrin's spot potentially would have been taken by a Xenoblade Chronicle X rep, and it's anybody's guess on how they decided on promoting Fates instead.

Honestly, even though I didn't really like this title, I would've prefered a character from Xenoblade X over Fates, just to add more Xenoblade representatives. 

2 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

I'm sure there will be another FE character either in the base game or DLC. I'm confident that Marth/Robin/Ike will be in the base game but Lucina/Roy/Corrin might be cut or be DLC only.

No idea about what the FE Switch protagonist will be like but if he's has some trait that sets him apart from our current FE representatives, I'm sure he'll make it in the game. FE returning to consoles is huge, so I don't think they'll skip the chance to promote it on another Switch title.

I really do think that this new lord is going to be in the base game of Sma5h, considering how each new Smash has the latest lord of FE at the time they come out. 

5 hours ago, AmericanBuizel said:

I'm simply a fan with more money compared to when I was a kid that doesn't want his products censored (Not talking about the petting mini game btw) or casualized (outside of the casual mode). If they want my money, they need to treat their fans seriously. I've criticized this newer direction because I think it's horrible and is turning FE into something I don't like. And yes, I do partly blame the newer fans for this, considering they're buying the games, ergo giving Nintendo more money, which tells them to make more crap. Besides, I was hoping Echoes' sales would be on par with Awakening/Fates to show IS that we the veteran fans are tired of this weeaboo and casual pandering that they're doing and want more challenging games like Echoes, but was disappointed in how it flopped in the end. Money speaks to these companies louder than words. 

You've been incredibly childish about it in the past.  For an example in this post in particular, blaming newer fans for daring to like something you don't and paying for it is a rather immature outlook.

Back on topic, I stand by the statement of not knowing whether I want the game's protagonist in or not, due to us knowing nothing about them.  It would be like asking if we wanted Corrin before Fates was announced, when we knew nothing about them and thus didn't have the widespread criticism for them we do now.

1 hour ago, Glaceon Sage said:

You've been incredibly childish about it in the past.  For an example in this post in particular, blaming newer fans for daring to like something you don't and paying for it is a rather immature outlook.

Back on topic, I stand by the statement of not knowing whether I want the game's protagonist in or not, due to us knowing nothing about them.  It would be like asking if we wanted Corrin before Fates was announced, when we knew nothing about them and thus didn't have the widespread criticism for them we do now.

I'm not blaming the fans for liking the newer games, I'm blaming them for throwing their money toward the companies that made it. Like it or not, money speaks louder than words.

I was never really saying I wanted this new character in, I was mainly trying to say that it's pretty much to be expected at this point.

9 hours ago, Gustavos said:

Thank you for all this information.:^_^: And by the way, I read in a recent interview that Tetsuya Takahashi, Mr. Xeno-game, apparently enjoys FPSes- not something you'd expect from a typical Japanese gamer. He actually can't play JRPGs because he has too much of a developer's mindset going into it and spends time wondering why things were chosen to be what they are instead of what they aren't.

As for XCX- Elma would have been the most likely of candidates, given she might as well be the MC of that game. Dual Guns + Dual Swords would have been a fairly unique weapon setup for Smash- only Bayo has the former half, and the Pits the latter. Hopefully they'd include Ghostwalker, having a char who can null a certain number of hits without even flinching from them would be possibly broken, but unique. If not that, then at least give her an Aura of some sort. Throw her a Skell (ideally an Ares, but anything works) or Overdrive for her Final Smash. Throw Sliding Slinger, Zero Zero, Hundred Shells, and Sky High somewhere in her arsenal of Specials, Smashes, and Aerials.

Just now, AmericanBuizel said:

I'm not blaming the fans for liking the newer games, I'm blaming them for throwing their money toward the companies that made it. Like it or not, money speaks louder than words.

I was never really saying I wanted this new character in, I was mainly trying to say that it's pretty much to be expected at this point.

That's essentially the same thing.  If they like it, chances are they're going to pay for it.  Do you genuinely expect literally every new fan to only play used copies and not get the game at launch or something, just because you don't like it?  That's incredibly selfish.

I don't think we can really say "expected" yet.  It depends on when both games release and what releases between them, if you ask me.  There could for all we know be a second FE released in between them, especially since Smash Bros. usually takes a while to develop.  We don't have a word on a fifth Smash Bros., after all, for all we know Sakurai might be working on something entirely different.

11 hours ago, Gustavos said:

And he repeatedly says he doesn't let his personal tastes conflict with character inclusion..

Which is why the "true hero" of Brawl's Subspace Emissary was Dedede who, along with Meta Knight, were new characters to the Smash games (and came from the Kirby series, which Sakura had worked on). Also, Smash 4 had various things in it that were taken from Kid Icarus: Uprising, which was another game that Sakurai had worked on, including Palutena and Dark Pit being newcomers in that game.

So yeah, I don't believe that statement of yours one bit.

Hmmm... I think they should probably get rid of Roy, Lucina, and Corrin. Roy because he doesn't have a western title to his name and he could always be DLC if people really wanted him, Lucina because she wasn't really that important in her game and we can always find someone else to be a Marth clone, and Corrin because the reason he was included was to advertise a game that doesn't need advertising anymore. I think Marth should stay for old times sake, Ike should stay because he's (apparently) the most popular character in the series, and Robin because Awakening is still super popular and he's not just a swordfighter. Alm and Celica should be an assist trophy, and other games that were overlooked can be represented with new stages. 

What Smash really needs is Lyn. She's popular, sexy, and she could have a very interesting moveset. 

1 hour ago, SullyMcGully said:

Hmmm... I think they should probably get rid of Roy, Lucina, and Corrin. Roy because he doesn't have a western title to his name and he could always be DLC if people really wanted him, Lucina because she wasn't really that important in her game and we can always find someone else to be a Marth clone, and Corrin because the reason he was included was to advertise a game that doesn't need advertising anymore. I think Marth should stay for old times sake, Ike should stay because he's (apparently) the most popular character in the series, and Robin because Awakening is still super popular and he's not just a swordfighter. Alm and Celica should be an assist trophy, and other games that were overlooked can be represented with new stages. 

What Smash really needs is Lyn. She's popular, sexy, and she could have a very interesting moveset. 

I can agree with getting rid of Lucina and Corrin, but I hope they don't get rid of Roy. Roy kinda has a western title (FE7) and keep in mind, before Awakening, FE7 was the popular title here in the west. I know either Lucina or Robin is going to go, considering that Awakening is popular, but keeping two Awakening characters would just take up more space on the roster, especially considering that they're both not top tier. Corrin is sadly going to stay due to how popular Fates is. Like you said, Alm and Celica might be assist trophies.

If they do add Lyn, I have a feeling they'll add her if an FE7 remake is out sometime after Sma5h is out.

1 hour ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Which is why the "true hero" of Brawl's Subspace Emissary was Dedede who, along with Meta Knight, were new characters to the Smash games (and came from the Kirby series, which Sakura had worked on). Also, Smash 4 had various things in it that were taken from Kid Icarus: Uprising, which was another game that Sakurai had worked on, including Palutena and Dark Pit being newcomers in that game.

So yeah, I don't believe that statement of yours one bit.

You can believe what you like. I'm not the thought police.

Kirby is a slightly younger franchise than Fire Emblem, but has been international since the first title, and consistently outsells Fire Emblem even now. Yet kirby has half the representatives. Dedede's part in saving the world in SSE is a reference to Kirby's adventure where the twist is he was trying to protect the star rod from everybody, including Kirby whom he just didn't trust. In the finale, Kirby has to save Dedede's world from an evil he helped create. SSE adds to a running gag that Dedede is actually a misunderstood hero when he's not being possessed. Kid Icarus Uprising was the first game of a classic franchise in 20 years. And a good one, I mean, have you played it? Of course they're gonna add a character from that. And an alternate skin that they eventually decided could be a clone. And Dark Pit is the clone with the least deviation of the three.

I'll let you know when we actually know what the main character of FE: Switch is going to be like. Since I doubt Smash 5 is coming out any time before FE: Switch.

On 7/12/2017 at 6:27 PM, Glaceon Sage said:

Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr. do have fans. 

Pfft, Bowser Jr.?! I wouldn't miss him, only top-tier characters like Wendy O. Koopa.

I like sword-wielding characters so I really don't mind what kind of weapon they use but I'd like to actually know about the lord first before they put him/her into the game. It's hard to form an opinion about something we don't know anything about.

Also I highly doubt that they'd cut characters. I'd think that if anything, Smash 5 would just be a port but with more content, yeah? But who knows. Although if they were to potentially cut a character, then it'd probably only be one. (I'm placing bets on Roy)

Considering Sakurai thinks that there are too many reps, unless some FE reps get the axe (which I REALLY hope doesn't happen) or the rest of the games gets more reps to make up for the disproportion (which is unlikely), I really do not see Fe getting any more reps.