Potentially 1 Weapon Type Per Class (FE Warriors)

Jedi

In the new Nintendo everything we have a bit of information that hasn't been fully translated yet but this stood out to me 

Edited by Jedi

I didn't know there were "classes" in this game. Just that leveling up would change character appearance in a vague reference to promotions. Do they mean 1 weapon type per character? That makes more immediate sense.

I don't really understand this either. Robin and Lucina have been shown wielding more than one weapon type (Robin has his Levin Sword along with magic while Lucina can attack with a bow as well as a sword). So what do they mean, exactly?

I wonder if class advancing will allow to use a 2nd weapon type. But that would basically mean doubling the work on animations, so I have my doubts.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

I don't really understand this either. Robin and Lucina have been shown wielding more than one weapon type (Robin has his Levin Sword along with magic while Lucina can attack with a bow as well as a sword). So what do they mean, exactly?

Those were only used in musou attacks tho, not part of the actual moveset.

Edited by Escalario

8 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

I didn't know there were "classes" in this game. Just that leveling up would change character appearance in a vague reference to promotions. Do they mean 1 weapon type per character? That makes more immediate sense.

Well it does show Class when people level up in the game. I think its just a very rough translation unless we have reclass. 

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Well the Levin Sword is going to just fall under magic, and Lucina's bow will have sword properties because its her main weapon, just like how previous games Elements worked even if a move looked like it was a different element. 

Chrom's Lance he throws will probably be the same as well.

4 minutes ago, Escalario said:

Those were only used in musou attacks tho, not part of the actual moveset.

Oh, they were? I couldn't tell. xP

2 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Well the Levin Sword is going to just fall under magic, and Lucina's bow will have sword properties because its her main weapon, just like how previous games Elements worked even if a move looked like it was a different element. 

Well, I guess. It sounds awkward, but if it works, it works.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Well, we only saw Robin and Lucina's secondary weapons through attacks that were already part of their moveset. I don't think those weapons actually influence anything other than being used for certain moves, but their equipable weapons (Tome for Robin, Sword for Lucina) will determine things like overall power, how they interact with the weapon triangle mechanic, and unit effectiveness.

I think this probably means that the characters we see will have unique movesets compared to each other.

This makes sense. For example, any lance using cavalier would mostly play the same as any other lance using cavalier, so them being restricted to one main weapon (swords for Xander, axes for Frederick) allows variety and leaves open a slot for a dedicated lance cavalier.

I'm also under the impression that class changes will be largely cosmetic aside from having higher stats and maybe extra moves, though as Chrom already uses electric lances as a Lord I find the latter idea unlikely.

31 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

I'm also under the impression that class changes will be largely cosmetic aside from having higher stats and maybe extra moves, though as Chrom already uses electric lances as a Lord I find the latter idea unlikely.

That's what I'm leaning towards at this point as well. We might get lucky with a few extra moves, but I think it will most likely just be cosmetic.

And as others have mentioned I Lucina's bow and Chrom's lance are just going to count as "swords" for gameplay purposes.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Well, I guess. It sounds awkward, but if it works, it works.

Also note i'm not 100% sure this is worded correctly so it could mean something different once we have a proper translation haha

7 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Also note i'm not 100% sure this is worded correctly so it could mean something different once we have a proper translation haha

Heh, okay.

8 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Well, a bit bummed I won't get to play bow Lucina or sword Robin, but maybe we'll get DLC weapons too.

Honestly, I don't see this game having multiple weapons for a single character.

Hyrule Warriors did that to offset a rather low character roster, while Fire Emblem has multiple possible characters for every weapon.

I suspect they'll follow Heroes example and keep one weapon type per character.

I know there could be something lost in translation and all that, but for the sake of the thread (and because I know zero Japanese), I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and assume it's 100% accurate.

It's almost like they knew this was exactly what we were talking about.

And it probably serves to further justify their "too many sword users" explanation slightly.  Not that I'm saying it's right; I'm still impartial until I witness the full roster.

I also think it might be to help broaden the cast more.  Like our good pal Sentinel said, HW gave some characters lots of different weapons to counteract the low volume of important characters (anyone remember how many versions of Link we got or how many movesets he had in the end?), but they don't really need to do that at all for FE.  In fact if anything, they need to limit the versatility of the each individual character so that they all have their advantages and disadvantages.

1 hour ago, Ertrick36 said:

I know there could be something lost in translation and all that, but for the sake of the thread (and because I know zero Japanese), I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and assume it's 100% accurate.

It's almost like they knew this was exactly what we were talking about.

And it probably serves to further justify their "too many sword users" explanation slightly.  Not that I'm saying it's right; I'm still impartial until I witness the full roster.

I also think it might be to help broaden the cast more.  Like our good pal Sentinel said, HW gave some characters lots of different weapons to counteract the low volume of important characters (anyone remember how many versions of Link we got or how many movesets he had in the end?), but they don't really need to do that at all for FE.  In fact if anything, they need to limit the versatility of the each individual character so that they all have their advantages and disadvantages.

3 Links, and the roster was actually average by it's contemporaries, wasn't it?

On 7/12/2017 at 6:30 PM, Sentinel07 said:

Honestly, I don't see this game having multiple weapons for a single character.

Hyrule Warriors did that to offset a rather low character roster, while Fire Emblem has multiple possible characters for every weapon.

I suspect they'll follow Heroes example and keep one weapon type per character.

Also to my knowledge the only Musou spin offs (I haven't played Arsland and Gundum) no spin off have had characters with more than one weapon other than Hyrule. Dragon Quest kinda had it but it was only for the OCs in 2 so I don't really count it. 

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

Not sure if this should go here, but the Brynhildr connection mentioned refers to the tome in this image:  https://www.gamecity.ne.jp/fe/img/character/ss/chara08_02.jpg

Which is a different tome than the image you used on the article when talking about those posts.  You used this one:  https://www.gamecity.ne.jp/fe/img/character/ss/chara08_03.jpg

Edited by YotsuMaboroshi

17 hours ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:

Not sure if this should go here, but the Brynhildr connection mentioned refers to the tome in this image:  https://www.gamecity.ne.jp/fe/img/character/ss/chara08_02.jpg

Which is a different tome than the image you used on the article when talking about those posts.  You used this one:  https://www.gamecity.ne.jp/fe/img/character/ss/chara08_03.jpg

Yeah I fixed that. My mistake

On 7/12/2017 at 3:12 PM, Jedi said:

Well it does show Class when people level up in the game. I think its just a very rough translation unless we have reclass. 

I meant to reply to this forever ago

In Hyrule Warriors each characters' movesets had a specific element, but some of them had attacks that dealt damage of a different element. For example, Sheik's Harp moveset was the Lightning element, but she had attacks that dealt, Fire, Water, Darkness and Light damagge, Twili Midna's Mirrior moveset was Darkness elemental but it had a few Light based attacks, and Link's Great Fairy Moveset was Water elemental but had a Fire attack and a Lightning attack. I forget what Ravio's Rental Hammer moveset element is, but he also has Fire, Water, Lightning and Light based attacks. I'm also are there are others I'm forgetting.

So even though each character may have only one main weapon, it's possible they might use different weapons in certain combos that deal different types of damage.

11 minutes ago, Mysterique Sign said:

In Hyrule Warriors each characters' movesets had a specific element, but some of them had attacks that dealt damage of a different element. For example, Sheik's Harp moveset was the Lightning element, but she had attacks that dealt, Fire, Water, Darkness and Light damagge, Twili Midna's Mirrior moveset was Darkness elemental but it had a few Light based attacks, and Link's Great Fairy Moveset was Water elemental but had a Fire attack and a Lightning attack. I forget what Ravio's Rental Hammer moveset element is, but he also has Fire, Water, Lightning and Light based attacks. I'm also are there are others I'm forgetting.

So even though each character may have only one main weapon, it's possible they might use different weapons in certain combos that deal different types of damage.

All of Sheik's moves do Lightning damage last I checked.  The 'elemental' finishers inflict the appropriate elemental status (Fire's knockup, Water's dot, etc) but still did Lightning damage.  Same with Twili Midna (all damage was Darkness), Ravio (all damage was Darkness) and Great Fairy (all damage was Water).  Showing the other elements inflicted the appropriate status effect, but didn't actually change the damage type of the attack.

3 hours ago, Mysterique Sign said:

3 hours ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:

All of Sheik's moves do Lightning damage last I checked.  The 'elemental' finishers inflict the appropriate elemental status (Fire's knockup, Water's dot, etc) but still did Lightning damage.  Same with Twili Midna (all damage was Darkness), Ravio (all damage was Darkness) and Great Fairy (all damage was Water).  Showing the other elements inflicted the appropriate status effect, but didn't actually change the damage type of the attack.

Though, to add to this, if an attack is of a different element than the main element, the attack can still chip off more gauges from a giant boss's Weak Point Gauge: Manhandla's WPG will almost empty itself if Sheik's C1-3 (Bolero of Fire) hits it while it's stunned since it's a fire attack, while C4, Sheik's lightning attack, will do more damage to Argorok's WPG. It probably won't work like that in Fire Emblem Warriors though.