Fire Emblem Canon

TheEmblem

So I have a question, are there canon genders for the avatars in awakening and fates. If so what are they because I am so confused mostly about the fates canon.

Edited by TheEmblem

1 hour ago, Glaceon Sage said:

Well, Robin is a guy in Warriors while Corrin is a lady, for however much that is worth.

Well, truth be told, FE Warriors ain't canon, just like Hyrule Warriors. Plus, Smash 4 conveys that both avatars are male, with secondhand female options. The canon is all over the place. It truly was meant for interpretation. 

Well for Fates, it seems to point at F!Corrin for Conquest and M!Corrin for Birthright as the 'canon' options for those games based on box art and just general merch (Like Cipher) associating them with those games. Can't really say about Rev (Though you could say F!Corrin based on Warriors and how she appears with both Ryoma and Xander who appear to be allies, though Warriors is non-canon).

As for Awakening, you can't really say either is canon and you could make arguments for both and their 'canonisity'.

Though if you were to take merchandise and other appearances into account, M!Robin and F!Corrin get a lot more attention than their opposite sex counterparts, so take that as you will.

Though, TLDR, their is no canon except your own personal headcanons.

Them showing off female Corrin and male Robin doesn't mean they're canon; it means that the devs recognize that those are the most popular versions of those avatars.

I'd wager them depicting male for BR and female for CQ is also just their way of showing off the two genders.  They probably realized that they would get more sales if they showed up front that you could be male or female in the game; probably also compensating for the lack of female Robin representation this way.  And they repeatedly go with these depictions not to solidify canon, but more to stick to a common theme.  I wouldn't read too much into any of it.  Then again, I don't give a damn about canon, really.

12 hours ago, Azz said:

Though, TLDR, their is no canon except your own personal headcanons.

So Oboro becoming the Supreme Beauty Queen of Impeccable Fashion and Also Valla can be canon?  What about my headcanon about all the Hoshidan survivors of the war in CQ and some of the dissenters of Nohr staging a coup against their respective royal families?  Or Takumi both dying and not dying in the same universe due to Yukimura creating a time paradox?  Or even the one where every single FE world ever created merges and all the different casts fight to the death against each other?  Dorcas wins in that war because he learned to build his armies and trust no one who gives him mutton.  He learned from his mistakes.

I guss this clears it up a little thanks. But yeah fe warriors just confused me on how that was to be taken, I didn't know if there was an actual canon or if they chose f corrin just because she's more popular.

Edited by TheEmblem

This may be a crappy answer but I'm pretty sure there's just no canon for the avatar's gender in any game. It's just kind of "a default" that's meant to be customized rather than the canon character.

This may be a crappier answer but I'm pretty sure you could make arguments for either gender being canon in either game considering they've already gone over the fact alternate timelines/realities can and do exist. 

The only other way you could possibly determine canonicalness is for some of the children who have specific hair colors that correlate to certain pairings. But even then you can use the above argument to explain that away as well. Oddly enough they managed to come up with a way to explain why the avatar or corrin can be a different gender and things can be completely different. 

There's no specific canon. However I feel like Male Corrin seems like it's the most canon for Fates. Being the third king and makes sense to be paired with Azura. As for Awakening it could be either way, I don't think there's any specific marriage that would determine it. So for Awakening I'd say no canon specifically.

Since Fates and (moreso)Awakening involve not just multiple timelines, but multiple universes, I think you could probably say both are canon.