Cell Phones

Lushen

Cell Phone  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of cell phone do you prefer?

• iPhone
    • Android
    • Windows Mobile
    • I don't own a smartphone
    • I don't own a phone

I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to cell phone devices.  I was curious, what kind of cell phones does everyone have.  And, do you like it?  What do and don't you like about it?  What was your favorite/first cell phone?  What cell phone do you wish you could have?

Note: I'm asking about features. This is not another thread where you can argue whether android or iOS is better like a toddler.  If you like some features android has but iPhone doesn't you can mention them but I'd rather not see back and forth arguments about which one is better when both are unarguably great phones.

My preference is an Android, I just like the complexity.  That being said I used to use an iPod touch before I realized the one I had damaged all my earbuds I inserted into it (visible scratches would appear on the plug within a week, went through like 6 pairs before I realized it wasn't me breaking them).  Been wanting to get a new iPod touch, I prefer my music on a separate device and I think apple has a better interface for music.  It was also nice to be able to download iOS exclusive games/apps.

I have a Google Pixel XL.  Originally I was going to get the regular Pixel because the price on the XL is ridiculous.  But, google had some production issues with the phone and it was unavailable at the time so I couldn't get it :sadface:

My first phone was the Samsung Epic 4G, followed by the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, the LG G3, and my new PIxel XL.

The Pixel is incredible.  For a long time my iPhone friends were always bragging with me that their phone could load an app/webpage faster than my phone.  This is the first phone where I'm happy to compare the speeds to an iPhone, they're very close.  It's smooth, fast, intuitive, and made by google.  It has a reversible type C charger which is amazing because I'm always in bed with my phone and too tired to figure out which way a standard charger goes.  Most importantly, people have been saying the phone doesn't slow down at all over time, but it's still fairly new.  Still, my G3 slowed down within the first month and this one is still going strong.  Battery life is impressive, everyone says the battery specs can't possibly be enough but I only charge it every other day (unless there's a heroes event going on in which case my screen is on all day).

Apparently the Pixel XL's camera is something to drool over, but I have a lifeproof which kind of impairs the focus and blurs the image.  I take more screenshots than pictures anyways.

The G3 was another amazing phone.  It was very highly regarded by most people that had it. However, as it got older I noticed some problems and the plastic became significantly less appealing as most smartphones moved to aluminum.  It broke twice, one of which was from a less than a foot drop.  The other I don't recall ever dropping it, I just picked it up off my table and the screen was shattered.  It was great for it's time but it didn't hold up for me.  

The epic 4g was....yea, not a fan.  I got it when not everyone had iPhones and Android smartphones weren't widely available.

I tend to prefer iPhones. They overall tend to be less bulky and thinner and they don't take up a lot of space in my pockets and are easy to hold.

However, I have owned Androids in the past, in fact I had more Android phones than iPhones, though since switching, I prefer the iPhones. With the exception of their lackluster battery life, they preform well in every way I need them to, so yeah.

Not a fan of Windows Phones tbh. Never had one, don't ever intend to. My dad had one for a bit and it was the most frustrating thing to use whenever I used it.

26 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Swearing off LG for a while.

Try buying one of their appliances...

To be fair, they make a lot of base parts for a ton of technology used by other companies.  An example would be ASUS monitors that almost always uses LG panels.  They also provide panels for a lot of TV sets and I believe the Iphone 8's OLED.

Their parts are great, but whenever they assemble something it does everything but what it's supposed to.

27 minutes ago, Lushen said:

Try buying one of their appliances...

To be fair, they make a lot of base parts for a ton of technology used by other companies.  An example would be ASUS monitors that almost always uses LG panels.  They also provide panels for a lot of TV sets and I believe the Iphone 8's OLED.

Their parts are great, but whenever they assemble something it does everything but what it's supposed to.

LG's fine, but they have fucked their phone processors for so long and didn't attempt to fix it until well into the G4's lifespan(Well after I first got mine, AND my first replacement).

Plus, the only reason I stuck with LG phones when my G2 had the same problem was because I think they had, ergonomically, the best phones. The volume rocker and hold button being on the back has always made way more sense than on the sides of the phone for me. But they stopped doing that, so I have no reason to continue buying LG phones.

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

Plus, the only reason I stuck with LG phones when my G2 had the same problem was because I think they had, ergonomically, the best phones. The volume rocker and hold button being on the back has always made way more sense than on the sides of the phone for me. But they stopped doing that, so I have no reason to continue buying LG phones.

Yea the G3's volume rocker on the back was really nice.  The pixel at least has the fingerprint scanner and unlocker on the back which I think was more important than the volume control.  My only complaint with the G3 on the volume rocker is over time something sticky must of gotten underneath it and was annoying to use.  I didn't know they stopped doing that.  Sad, to me it's more logical to put it all on the back with big phones because that's where your pointer finger naturally rests and your thumb isn't very useful on a huge phone.

Ergonomically from a shape standpoint, I would agree they had the best phones.  Unfortunately, they lost credit with me as a whole ergonomically when they were like the last ones to switch to a metal phone.  Plastic is just not cool anymore.

I prefer Androids because of the customization options. Right now, I own a refurbished LG G3 because my old LG G3 often boot looped and the charger port stopped working. I really like the LG G3, but after some time the battery life completely deteriorated. It was probably because I overused it and didn't really take care of it. Now it's pretty laggy and it becomes hot really quickly. I love the back buttons though. 

Well my phone tends to be  the cheapest one I can get since I am on a prepaid plan and I have to buy my phone out right, so Android is all I know and I am quite happy with using Android.  Right now I have a LG Tribute 2 which I am happy with except the small amount of memory, but it was the phone I could afford at the time.

I've actually never had an android, all my phones since 2011 or so have been iphones. I like them a lot, they're fast, have all the apps I need, and I like the interface. I also find them very durable despite the fame they seem to have. I'm the clumisiest person in the world and I drop my phone all the time and I have never had any of them break. In fact, my iPhone 7 I got last october still looks new despite me droping it countless times.

Edited by Nobody

I've been an IPhone user for about 6 years now (Not originally by choice) and I've thoroughly enjoyed the phone and the features it offers. I didn't originally appreciate the switch since I originally had a Galaxy S4G and I liked the freedom of customization android OS gave. I grew to love the IPhone though and while I was actually planning on switching it up and getting the Galaxy 8 the leaked info on the IPhone 8 has me excited.

I like Android.  I actually just got my new Samsung Galaxy S8 yesterday!  It's pretty cool.  The screen is funky cause it's curved on the sides.  I like that.

This is my 3rd Galaxy phone.  I previously had the S4 and the S6.  I get a new phone every two years when my contract expires.  :):

On 7/20/2017 at 3:51 AM, Infinite Dreams said:

I like Android.  I actually just got my new Samsung Galaxy S8 yesterday!  It's pretty cool.  The screen is funky cause it's curved on the sides.  I like that.

This is my 3rd Galaxy phone.  I previously had the S4 and the S6.  I get a new phone every two years when my contract expires.  :):

I was thinking about getting the curved screen but I decided against it because I wasn't sure I'd like it.  Though, so far everyone I know has loved it - I'm just skeptical.

I didn't know anyone still did 2yr contracts.  Sprint just stopped doing them and I thought they were the last ones.

Edited by Lushen

10 minutes ago, Lushen said:

I was thinking about getting the curved screen but I decided against it because I wasn't sure I'd like it.  Though, so far everyone I know has loved it - I'm just skeptical.

I didn't know anyone still did 2yr contracts.  Sprint just stopped doing them and I thought they were the last ones.

Omg, you don't have contracts there?  (Canada just banned the 3 year contracts a few years ago, so they are all 2 years now.)  How does that work, then?  Do you need to pay the full price up front?  

I got the Galaxy S8 for $290 up front because of the 2 year contract, otherwise it would be like $1000 or whatever new smartphones cost nowadays... I also got a really good plan this time because I just found out that I could get a discounted plan through my work.  I'm saving like $30 a month for more data than before! :^_^:

The curved screen makes it feel like it pops out a bit.  It's neat.  I feel like it could have more of a risk of breaking than flat screened phones, though.

24 minutes ago, Infinite Dreams said:

Omg, you don't have contracts there?  (Canada just banned the 3 year contracts a few years ago, so they are all 2 years now.)  How does that work, then?  Do you need to pay the full price up front?  

Couple options.  

You can pay installments which will run you well over the price of the phone, but paying monthly.  With this option, you get to keep your phone after it's paid off.

You can also rent your phone, which will cost the price of the phone, but they will take it back at the end of 2yrs (god knows why, a 2yr old phone is worth literally nothing to them, they don't sell used phones)

Or you can buy an unlocked phone.  It's what I do because I don't believe I should have to pay for something I use intensely for two years and not get to keep it.  It's not a car, it's a computer.  You don't rent computers.

I miss my $200.00 2yr contract phones.

Edited by Lushen

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer Androids specifically Galaxys.  I have an S8+ and love it.  Though I will admit that IPhones are extremely good at memory management mostly due to the locked down ecosystem of iOS and Snapchat drains your battery on android to no end if you are into that sorta thing but I'm not lol.