Orb Summoning Strategy

tanuki

Just wondering if anyone had a different strategy for using their orbs for summoning.  Normally people save up 20 orbs and then spend them all, because this is the most economical.   Today, I got 20 orbs and planned on getting Sonya from the new banner.  I got one green orb, two red, and two colorless.   The green orb was a three star Barst (Damn you Barst!)   Instead of spending the rest, I backed out.   The appearance rate stayed at 3%, so maybe this is not the best method, but it would lead to more chances for a specific character.   Thoughts or other ways to spend orbs on summoning.

I originally just spent all 20, but I've moved to just picking colors with focus units I want, especially multiple focus units, and I think so have a lot of people. Part of that was getting a better understanding of how pulls work and how much higher the 5* rate is when pulling from colors with focus units, especially multiple. I'm mostly concerned with getting 5* pulls at this point, and an average of about 5 orbs per pull with like a 10% 5* rate is a lot better than an average of 4 orbs per pull with a 6% 5* rate.

Just now, tanuki said:

Just wondering if anyone had a different strategy for using their orbs for summoning.  Normally people save up 20 orbs and then spend them all, because this is the most economical.   Today, I got 20 orbs and planned on getting Sonya from the new banner.  I got one green orb, two red, and two colorless.   The green orb was a three star Barst (Damn you Barst!)   Instead of spending the rest, I backed out.   The appearance rate stayed at 3%, so maybe this is not the best method, but it would lead to more chances for a specific character.   Thoughts or other ways to spend orbs on summoning.

There are primarily two ways to summon as you have already described. I generally do a full summoning session in most banners since I generally want the fodder rather than the banner units themselves.

If there is a unit I really want, then I would snipe for just that color. For example, on the Bridal Blessings and Vantage banners, I snipe for colorless and blues respectively to get B!Cordelia and Reinhardt.

On the other hand, for the current Ylissean Summer banner, I just do full summoning sessions since I primarily want the skill fodder. With enough summoning, I will get at least one of each limited character anyways. Currently, I am only missing Summer!A!Tiki, so I might snipe for her towards the end of the month.

My nephew (hes 5)  visits generally once a week (stays over), with it being the summer he's been staying over a few more days, but once a week he'l say "lets get new characters" and we'l spend 20 orbs - been doing it for a while, quite funny when we open a 3* we have because his resopnss is "awww we already have him.....hes stupid" - helps make light on those summons were you get dirt haha

I save my orbs up until there's a character I want. First time I tried that I saved up to about 80 and spent them all trying to Ninian, didn't get a single 5 star character. Then I saved up to about 70 and tried to get Elise, didn't get her but I kept using orbs when I got them and finally got her. Now I'm saving up again and I have 107 orbs today, I'm going to save them for Ninian, Ephraim, Camilla, Leo, or for a Radiant Dawn summoning. I was going to try and get Leon in one of the new summonings, but I changed my mind. I'd rather just save my orbs. It's usually hard for me to do because I'm such an impatient person, but I'm doing good so far. Hopefully the next summoning will feature Radiant Dawn characters.

Yeah, I save orbs and then I go for orb colors that I want. If the color I want isn't there in a session, I have to pick a different color, but then I pick the color of some other character I wouldn't mind having. Lately my secondary color choice has been green since while I have three 5 star green units now, I still only have one 5 star axe. xP And colorless if that one is there because the summer banner is still up and I wouldn't mind another Summer Freddy.

There aren't any characters I want right now, though, so I haven't been summoning. I could go for Sonya since as I said, I want more 5 star greens, but I don't need another green mage and I think her design is hideous (she's yet another sexualized female who either has bigass boobs spilling out of her top or appears to be wearing no underwear).

Someone in tumblr say that the orbs with more sparks are 5* but I don't see any difference in the orbs, and yesterday that I summoned Leon, his orb was the same as the other 2 colorless orbs in the session. Since I have a lot of orbs saved from events and daily login, I tried to test it and I spend 20 minutes looking at the orbs to trying to decide which of the 3 colorless to open but I couldn't find a difference, then I closed my eyes and throw something to my phone, and the orb choosed with that method was the one that give me Leon haha

So for now, the best looks to be to open only orbs of the color you want... Or another way, if you have enought orbs, is to do a full session to increase the rate and then start opening the color you want, but that use even more orbs and still you aren't warranty anything :|

I used to open all, but now I have pretty much all the characters, so I only bother going for the colours I want. Currently, it's colourless for Leon, since I've had the red for Saber :)

I save up orbs and do focus summoning to get characters I want. At this point, I have enough characters to fill the important niches, so I might as well save for the characters I like personally rather than get a greater number.

I usually save up orbs and wait for characters that I like. I then splurge them all for one character in order to build up the pity rate. I haven't been doing that recently though because of the SOV banners that I just spend orbs for immediately. 

I only summon from green orbs now in the hopes of getting a Hector, a better IVed Sonya than my current one, and some other useful fodder units like Hawkeye, Minerva...etc. Of course even then it's best to take a precaution and always save up 20 orbs for each session.

@Lemmy said:

i only target colors, i'd rather have 1 character i like over 20 i'd never use. 

This was me until I realized how useful wrathful staff healers are in tempest trials. Now I'm considering getting Sakura and Elise, by taking the risk with colorless, most of the time people manage to get those two so it could be worth it.

Edited by Logos

14 minutes ago, Logos said:

This was me until I realized how useful wrathful staff healers are in tempest trials.

What are they doing that an actual mage isn't (besides healing)? I can see them doubling roles, but most of them aren't really that good in that aspect to begin with. Only thing I can see is something like +Spd/Not -Atk Maria and Elise (much more with Horse Emblem boosts).

10 minutes ago, Soul~! said:

What are they doing that an actual mage isn't (besides healing)? I can see them doubling roles, but most of them aren't really that good in that aspect to begin with. Only thing I can see is something like +Spd/Not -Atk Maria and Elise (much more with Horse Emblem boosts).

Lucius makes excellent non-raven bait, and he's +Atk to boot.  I'd use him mostly for heavy chip damage (hi Lukas).

EDIT: Right, topic.  I'm more interested in 5* units, with a focus being gravy.  Thus, I do full pulls, to increment the mercy counter.

Edited by eclipse

5 minutes ago, Soul~! said:

Really that's it, just the healing and survivability of a team full of healers that makes it easier to do the maps, and get a higher score. I don't really have any good offensive Falchion healers atm that I'd take with me, so I instead would like to take offensive healers with me to do the maps.

Unless there's a character I really want from another banner (like a 5-star exclusive that has never previously been on a banner), I only pull from new character banners and only pull the focus colors. There's not much point for me of pulling off-focus colors for Skill Inheritance when I can wait two weeks for the banner to change.

18 minutes ago, Soul~! said:

Two-man cell with Elise and Cecilia. My +0 Elise [+Atk, -Def] (Gravity, Recover, Kindled-Fire Balm, Attack +3, Wrathful Staff 3, Hone Cavalry, S Fortify Res 1) is capable of one-round killing a lot of the slow low-Res melee units you see like Chrom and Bartre and has Kindled-Fire Balm to give a +4 Atk buff to my Tharja and Mae for the first turn of the last map. 50 Atk that targets Res and is unaffected by the weapon triangle is quite respectable (and I'm not even using Assault).

Edited by Ice Dragon

15 minutes ago, Logos said:

@Lemmy said:

This was me until I realized how useful wrathful staff healers are in tempest trials. Now I'm considering getting Sakura and Elise, by taking the risk with colorless, most of the time people manage to get those two so it could be worth it.

I went gray to get a good natured Felicia, a Genny, a Faye, and a Bride Cordelia.

I do want to build a firesweep bow user in the future, but outside of that I don't think I'll pull anymore, they'd likely be too redundant.

(While Faye does have the bow she's not a good user for it)

30 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Two-man cell with Elise and Cecilia. My +0 Elise [+Atk, -Def] (Gravity, Recover, Kindled-Fire Balm, Attack +3, Wrathful Staff 3, Hone Cavalry, S Fortify Res 1) is capable of one-round killing a lot of the slow low-Res melee units you see like Chrom and Bartre and has Kindled-Fire Balm to give a +4 Atk buff to my Tharja and Mae for the first turn of the last map. 50 Atk that targets Res and is unaffected by the weapon triangle is quite respectable (and I'm not even using Assault).

uhhh 50 Atk is pretty much Sanaki-level. Like, literally 1 point away.

22 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

So how does the pity bonus rise? Is it for every single pull that isn't a 5* or every session that isn't a 5*?

The pity rate rises every five units you summon that aren't a 5*. 

51 minutes ago, DarkLordIvy said:

The pity rate rises every five units you summon that aren't a 5*. 

I see. If you aren't particular about which 5* you get, I suppose either doing full summons or at least every color with a focus unit is the most economical way of getting a 5*

I just focus on summoning one color only, going for a specific character. If there aren't orbs of that color, I'll summon 1 of another color and back out.

It's less orb efficient, but it maximizes the chances of getting the hero I want. I prefer to have heroes I actually want, whether for gameplay or character reasons, than many 5*s I don't particularly care for.

So far I've gotten the focus character I wanted from several banners - Eirika, Hector, Linde, Reinhardt - using this method. Only Bride Lyn eluded me...

Edited by Xaos Steel Wing

2 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

I see. If you aren't particular about which 5* you get, I suppose either doing full summons or at least every color with a focus unit is the most economical way of getting a 5*

It depends on the color distribution of a focus. If the focus units are evenly distributed across all 4 colors, then the probability of pulling a 5-star isn't too different when pulling only one color or pulling all colors. Furthermore, the pity bonus isn't large enough to make too much of a difference if you're off by one or two pulls from exact multiples of 5.

If the focus is not evenly distributed, pulling from the color with the most focus units gives you by far a larger 5-star rate than anything else can. For example, for the Wyvern Riders focus had only green units and an absurd 17% chance of pulling a 5-star unit when pulling green. That +11% boost relative to making full pull sessions is way higher than the pity bonus of 0.5%.