What;s your favorite and least favorite character(s)?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite character is everyone. My least favorite character is Deen, but that's only because he sounds like a buff Squidward.

Spoiler

Take a shot every time someone says that Faye is their least favorite character in this game

Favorite... That's a good question. I love pretty much all of them! There isn't one particular unit that stood out to me as someone I'd give favoritism, but there were a few, such as Kliff.

Least Favorite? Delthea. She's a good unit, but her personality is horrible.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Take a shot every time someone says that Faye is their least favorite character in this game

Because those who don't like her are just being silly, right? 

My favorite character in this game by far is Lukas. He was good in the base game, but the DLC treated him and Python exceptionally well, and while Python went from an unlikeable tool to a much more well-rounded and sympathetic character, Lukas went from good to great.

My least favorite characters are:

Alm - Arguably the worst character in the game and the second worst lord in the series. Had he just been a generic Fire Emblem lord I wouldn't have minded as much, but the problem is that he goes against the two main themes of the game, and him being a perfect individual renders Celica's role in the game frankly much less necessary.

Celica - Again, I wouldn't have minded so much if she was just another typical anime princess we've seen dozens of times, but the fact that she goes along with what Jedah says and ignores her friends while marching towards the tower is idiotic and callous. I know someone might want to interject that Jedah has a point, to which I reply that sure, we know he does, but Celica doesn't. All she sees is a madman attacking her friends and making claims he never bothers to back up, so even if she "surrendered to despair", she had absolutely zero reason to go along with the guy anyway. Also, she doesn't seem to care about Jedah shouting about plunging the world into chaos. What the fuck. Her idiocy even renders Conrad's inclusion meaningless.

At the end of the day though, what does Celica do as far as the main story is concerned? She helps out Alm on occasion, but ultimately, she just becomes a damsel in need of rescue, and Alm is the one who defeats Rudolf, Jedah and Duma. 

Faye - Unchanging, obsessive, and an unnecessary new addition to the cast that offers absolutely nothing. The idea of a village girl who just wants to return to her normal life is fine, absolutely, but this is barely touched upon. Instead, all we get to hear her talk about is Alm, and rather than exploring her character we're faced with a whole lot of nothing. What's worse, we already knew Alm was going to end up with Celica, and Clair is initially smitten with him as well, so even on the one front where she was supposed to contribute something she was already superfluous. 

Berkut - A whiny, incompetent filler villain who we're supposed to care about even though he does or says nothing worth sympathizing with. If you remove him from the story, the overall plot remains the same. The only thing he actually does is make Alm come across as even more of an inhuman saint. The guy sacrifices his girlfriend to Valentian satan and the game seems to think we're still supposed to think this guy has a shred of dignity or deserves our respect.

Rinea - She's not even a character so much as she is an accessory to Berkut. She never interacts with any other character, apart from reacting to a thing Nuibaba says. That's it. 

Fernand - The guy I want to like but simply can't. The way they write him makes little sense, and he could've been salvaged had only a few tweaks been made to make him make sense. Rather than objecting to Alm becoming leader because of his supposed station, have him object to Alm being untested and inexperienced, and thus dangerous for the average Deliverance soldier and their cause as a whole. Sure, Alm never fails in the story, so he would've inevitably had to kiss his ass and apologize, but the Fernand we got in the game leaves everything behind because he's so stuck up on being classist that it completely clouds every other trait he has, and I just don't buy it. What's more, Alm doesn't even get angry with the guy in spite of  Fernand insulting him, his friends, betraying his country and fighting against them with all he's got. What does it take to piss Alm off?

Delthea - Generic lolibait who's just annoying to listen to.

Rudolf - Pretty sure this guy should be labeled clinically insane.

Edited by Thane

Re-posting verbatim from the old thred (because I'm lazy):

Favorites:

Alm: He's kinda adorable, between saying stuff like "Hello, Mr. Sun" with a straight face and some of his dorky comments in general when you examine the environment. Really, he's just very likable in a lot of ways, and I'd say he's my second-favorite lord after Roy.

Mathilda: The best. A great unit, gets to be awesome both in story and out, and generally lives up to her reputation as a war goddess. Plus her relationship with Clive is surprisingly sweet.

Clair: All Hail the Goddess of Killing Cavalry! A great unit who also has some good interactions with others, especially Alm. Plus, her Support chain with Grey is fantastic.

The Masked Knight: Great for spoiler reasons, and also because he's a great unit.

Mae: I wasn't initially sold on Mae, but she has some great lines and a fun personality in general. I wish she was a little better in general as a unit, though.

Palla: Still best Whitewing, 10/10 would recruit again.

Honorable mentions go to: pretty much every playable character who isn't mentioned below, because Echoes has one of the best casts in the series.

Neutral On:

Nomah: I don't actively dislike Nomah, but he doesn't really do much for me either. I wish his Support with Celica had been something more serious instead of him being a creep.

Coldsteel the Hedgehog the Human Deen: An edgelord supreme. Didn't recruit him because he's 2edgy4me, but read his supports/base convos and listened to his post-battle quote if someone dies and goodness is he boring and tryhard.

Rinea: Didn't get enough screentime for me to go in either direction with her.

Least Favorites:

Faye: Faye is just a waste of a character. Leon, Mathilda, Clair, Delthea and Gray all show romantic attraction to other characters and all have more aspects to their personalities, but there's nothing else to Faye. Plus she isn't even as good as her most obvious predecessor Marisha, who had the benefits of a( being responsible for some of the funniest conversations in the game, b( the game not treating her crush as anything more than a crush, and c( being a great unit as a Mage or Cleric, whereas Faye is just kinda mediocre except for getting Anew.

Fernand: I'm sure I'm supposed to dislike him to some extent, but this is definitely a case where the writers overestimated how much sympathy his tragic backstory would allow for. Maybe if his split from the Deliverance had been more built up to I wouldn't dislike him as much as I do, but abandoning his friends and country instantly with zero hesitation or remorse just makes him thoroughly unsympathetic to me. Plus, I find villains whose sole motivation is "a select number of a certain larger group wronged me in the past so now I hate all of them!" to just be badly written in general; it just comes off to me like those characters were already prejudiced and whatever wrongdoing they suffered reinforced that pre-existing hate.

Berkut: See Fernand above, but replace "tragic backstory" with "love for Rinea." Given a certain event late in the game, I have absolutely zero sympathy for him.

Berkut's voice acting in both versions is so damn good I just can't bring myself to dislike him. He's a well written piece of shit, and tattsun/Sinclair play him fantastically. I do feel bad for the guy, like, finding out your entire existence was just a castle on stilts and everything you knew came crashing down upon you at the same moment? It doesn't justify his actions, but he was backed into a corner, and in his own mind, there was no other way out. Maybe not my favorite character in the game, but he's up there for my favorite villians, if only for the entertainment his voice brought me. Fernand and Rinea are whatever.

Valbar/Leon/Kamui are high on my list, Sonya, Gray, Tobin, Kliff, Python, Conrad and Mae are my favorites. I like Alm and Celica well enough. The rest of the Deliverance is good, Mycen, Boey, Genny and Saber are great, and Atlas is cool. 

Don't really care too much for the Whitewings, Deen or Nomah, but I guess when it boils down, I don't dislike anyone. Every character has merit to me.

Favorites:

Faye - In other threads, I've already explained why I like Faye. Now that another topic like this has come up, I'm really not in the mood to type it up again. I know a lot of people dislike Faye, and I could see why. But I find her very cute and endearing, and I don't find her crush on Alm creepy, for the most part. One thing that does bother me though is when people call her a thot. This mostly happens on YouTube, so I know that I shouldn't expect much from reading the comments, but I still find it very silly. She has absolutely zero qualities that would make her one; all she is is a girl with a crush on her childhood savior.

Lukas - I like Lukas a lot; he's very caring and kind, and also cares a lot about his job with the Deliverance. He has a great design and a beautiful voice. What I don't exactly like about him is the lack of emotion he displays. I've never really been able to connect with any Fire Emblem character emotionally, but man Lukas takes the cake for least-relatable for me.

Other favorites are Gray and Mae. I'm just too lazy to describe why. I like both of their designs and they are great units for me.

Least Favorites:

Berkut - I think Berkut is a very well written character, so that's not why I dislike him. He just seems really crazy for power, and honestly I thought his relationship with Rinea was cute, until

Spoiler

he sacrificed her. I already disliked Berkut before, but this really sealed the deal for me.

Fernand - I don't like how quickly he writes off Alm and the others simply for not being a noble.

Everyone else is fine. I don't feel super excited or annoyed when I see other characters.

Favorites

Alm: He's just such a nice, lovable dork and a nice guy. It makes him a very pleasant character to have on screen. I don't entirely disagree with Thane's points, I just don't mind because Alm is just that likable. 

Boey and Mae: With a tad more favor going to Mae. She's funny and very expressive and in his own, more low key way Boey is this as well. The two play off each other very well. 

Saber: Baddass. So baddass. 

Lucas: Lucas got quite the voice on him. It suits him incredibly well and I enjoy how they made a ''cold'' character such a nice and gentle guy. He also has his good share of baddass moments. 

Conrad: Big dorks sitting behind baddass personas tend to sit rather well with me and so Conrad does too. 

Least favorites

Clive: I don't really think Clive is a bad person but he certainly looks like one. Doubting Alm's leadership after he has already been more successful then Clive ever was and him only having done so because Clive pushed him comes off as really ungrateful. He also did it the moment Alm was done saving his wife for him which makes it seem as if he was waiting for Alm's use to run out. As a unit he's also just one string of failures after another. 

Python: I don't dislike Python for his personality. He can be funny. Usually I try to rate characters for their personality rather than their stats....but I do draw the line at complete garbage. 

Fernand: You hate commoners, I get it. No reason to betray your homeland and all your friends just for that. If you make the snobby attitude of Begnion's senators seem downright reasonable in comparison then something definitely has gone wrong. I think the DLC does salvage him a bit though. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

i like almost all the characters. tobin's probably my favorite, but there's a lot of other ones I like. tatiana, kamui, atlas, and jesse are just a few others I really like

i don't really dislike any of the characters, but there are a few I can't really say I like, like genny, catria, and probably deen but i've never actually recruited him

genny's voice is kinda bad and that's really the only reason i don't like her. i did like her little story though, and her support with sonya was okay

catria was just really dull, though. like, she's the one character in the whole cast who I felt had barely any real personality to her. one of her conversations kinda goes into why, but there still aren't really any moments where she shows much actual emotion.  i feel like her voice actress was a good choice from a casting perspective, I did really like her in heroes, but even her voice acting feels so flat and boring compared to almost all the other characters in the game. it feels like she has more personality in her 8 lines in heroes than pretty much everything she says in echoes.

My favourite is (somewhat obviously, given my entire thread on him) Lukas.

My least favourite is Clive. As a character it's not so much that he's the worst, but he's exactly the kind of character I love to hate. 

Favourites:

• Saber- He's cool without trying to hard. 
  • Clair- Maybe it's because of her voice actress but I found her charming.
  • Delthea- I find that their aren't many units that are exceptional in this game; so to find one is like seeing big foot.
  • Leon- For not being a walking stereotype
  • Catria- She comes off as very mature and I find that alluring.

Least Favourites:

• Tatiana- She reminds me of Sumia, I hate Sumia
  • Faye- Outside of Alm; their is less than nothing to her.
  • Alm- I hate that "adorkable" shit, I never find that quirk charming. Especially if they are lead.
  • Clive- The game makes such a big deal about how he is top shit, he's not.
  • Mae/Python/Gray/Boey- It's not that I dislike them, I would like them more if they would shut the fuck up (voice acting is fine).

Everyone else in the game is just their for me.

Edited by I'm a Spheal

I bet most people would love Faye if she had a ridiculous breast size and fitting cleavage. Because those are the only merits Camilla and, to a lesser extent, Tharja have.
The only thing that bugs me about Faye is her honestly nonsensical ending, which doesn't really detract from her character, though.

2 hours ago, Carter said:

Faye - In other threads, I've already explained why I like Faye. Now that another topic like this has come up, I'm really not in the mood to type it up again. I know a lot of people dislike Faye, and I could see why. But I find her very cute and endearing, and I don't find her crush on Alm creepy, for the most part. One thing that does bother me though is when people call her a thot. This mostly happens on YouTube, so I know that I shouldn't expect much from reading the comments, but I still find it very silly. She has absolutely zero qualities that would make her one; all she is is a girl with a crush on her childhood savior.

I don't even know what thot is supposed to mean.

I'll also leave my post from the old topic here, since nothing changed from last time I wrote about them and I'm too lazy to type everything up again.

Anyway, after beating the game once I can safely say that I STILL like every character in it to a certain degree and that there is no one that lets me want to vomit in disgust whenever they appeared on screen (looking at you, Xander, Takumi, Ryoma, Azura and Forrest). I can, however, now give more opinions on why I like them, so here goes (I'm not going to list everybody. Just seven of my absolute favourites I actually have something to say about):

Alm - He does a great job as a protagonist. He's just the right balance between a peace-loving idealist and a realist who knows that sometimes you have to make sacrifices to gain something. After Awakening's DLC portrayed him as such, I was afraid he was just another war-mongering idiot like Ephraim from Sacred Stones, but I was happily surprised to see that this wasn't the case. I also really enjoyed his occasional sassiness and of course, his relationship with Celica, which is - at last - a natural love story in a Fire Emblem game that I can actually buy into. Haven't seen that since FE7. As a unit, he's fittingly powerful, though somewhat on the weak side compared to other characters, I found. He needed a lot of help a lot of other Lord characters from past FEs didn't. I also like the way he looks. It fits his personality perfectly.

Faye - I am a sucker for the Hopeless Suitor archetype, I have to admit (most likely because I, myself, am one as well). I do think they handled her obsession with Alm well and it feels believable that she would feel that way. I mostly like Faye because I can somewhat relate to her struggle and her unwillingness to be friends with others. Also, she's pretty.
As a unit, she's fantastic. Probably the best of the Villager bunch. If you make her a Cleric and get an A-support with Alm, you have a nearly invincible tank on your hands.

Delthea - Lolinuke. Enough said.
I'm joking, of course. Her being the best magic user in the game (and maybe even the best unit) certainly helps her case, but I also like her upbeat personality and overall demeanor. She has a big mouth, sure, but she knows what she can do and isn't afraid to show it off. That's the kind of self-esteem most of us wished they had. Me included.

Genny - I like her for the opposite reason I like Delthea. I am also a sucker for the shy and introverted type, since I am normally a very introverted person. There is a saying that 'Quiet waters are deep' and I think this fits Genny incredibly well, what with her fondness of older men and subtly implied love of incest stories, between father and daughter no less...
As a unit, she, too, is fantastic. Together with Faye the best Cleric / Saint you can get, even though Tatiana has Fortify and Silque has the best Invoke spell, summoning friggin' Dread Fighters, but you get Genny fairly early, her Invoke is my go to way of baiting Necrodragons on Celica's route and you get her extremely early on, while Tatiana comes in a little late and Silque is incredibly slow and inaccurate (she also gets Invoke pretty late).
Her voice actress is also my favourite in any game ever, which makes every character voiced by her immediately one of my favourites, along with Genny herself just being the cutest thing this side of Nowi helps her out a lot, as well.

Mae - Actually, her and Boey, since they are the Tobin / Gray of Celica's route in that they provide all the entertainment and funny moments, but in Mae's case, she IS the funny moment. I can't help but chuckle at almost everything she says and her ending makes everything all the more hilarious. Me calling her 'Bae' was initially a joke of mine, because of my fondness of her, her name and her entertaining personality, but I made it a habit; I switched hers and Boey's initials to make them 'Bae' and 'Moey'. I WISH this was canon, somehow.
As a unit, she falls a little behind Delthea in terms of raw power, but she is still an incredible powerhouse with her strong spells and strong growths in the right places. Possibly the best Mage on Celica's side.

Saber - His character begins and ends with 'badass'. I like to think he is the Navarre / Zihark / Lon'qu of this game, the badass swordfighter. But, different from the other three, he isn't actually the strong, silent type, but very outspoken and easygoing. Despite that, he gives solid life advice to Celica (I actually love the father-daughter dynamic the two have going on) and her group. His character is a perfect example of why I like Echoes' characters in general: They are all multi-layered and actually FEEL like human beings.
As a unit, he's the opposite of what his archetype would imply: The guy is INCREDIBLY tanky. Like, he ended up with more Defence than freakin' LUKAS tanky.

Lukas - Speaking of Lukas, he also makes the list of my favourites just because of his calm and soothing voice. Seriously, the guy could calm down a coffee-addict on a sugar trip. There's more to it than just that, though. He is also an incredibly nice, down to earth kind of guy, which most people would likely find underwhelming, but I like down to earth people a lot. They are a lot less annoying most of the time. I also like that Lukas is a noble, but doesn't view people 'below' him as lesser, a trait he shares with Clive, whom I also like, but who didn't make the list because as a unit, the guy is honestly atrocious.
He's the go-to physical tank on Alm's side, though you'd probably not want to throw him at Dagons, Fire Dragons or The Creation, because their Breath attacks bypass Defence and since everyone and their mothers run circles around Lukas, he'll be dead in no time.

Other absolute favourites include Celica, Palla, Zeke, Tatiana, Tobin, Boey, Clair, Leon, Mathilda (more for her being a great unit, however), Duma,

Reveal hidden contents

and Berkut.

Edited by DragonFlames

22 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I bet most people would love Faye if she had a ridiculous breast size and fitting cleavage.

Why can't we ever discuss Faye without bringing those two into the mix? I think Camilla is a far, far worse character than Faye, but that doesn't make Faye good at all. This is such a ridiculous notion and it bothers the hell out of me that you can't discuss Faye without someone coming along to say this.

1 minute ago, Carter said:

thot is synonymous for hoe

I see. Thank you!

Yeah, Faye is far, FAR removed from being a 'thot', then. Pretty much anyone is, since none of them are prostitutes, last time I checked.

3 minutes ago, Thane said:

Why can't we ever discuss Faye without bringing those two into the mix? I think Camilla is a far, far worse character than Faye, but that doesn't make Faye good at all. This is such a ridiculous notion and it bothers the hell out of me that you can't discuss Faye without someone coming along to say this.

I'm just saying, that's what would have happened.
On the surface, both Camilla and Tharja obsess over Corrin and Robin respectively, while Faye obsesses over Alm.
The difference is that Faye doesn't obsess over an Avatar, she doesn't show any cleavage, of which she doesn't appear to have much anyway and that her obsession is actually portrayed as anything but positive (even in gameplay) if one bothers to read between the lines.
But I'd argue that the only thing that makes Faye hated among most fans in this case is exactly that: She doesn't show any cleavage, her breasts aren't that big and she doesn't obsess over a player created character or self-insert. Whether or not she's a good character is another matter entirely and irrelevant to what I was meaning to convey.

10 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I'm just saying, that's what would have happened.

A claim of which you have no proof. Believe it or not, but some people like Camilla and Tharja for reasons other than their designs. This would be like me claiming that the only reason why people want to defend Faye is because she looks cute without exposing too much skin.

The difference is that Faye doesn't obsess over an Avatar

This is completely subjective. To me, Alm is more of an avatar than Robin and Corrin, and much harder to separate myself from for the simple fact that everyone looks directly at him during conversations, and he doesn't reply in base monologues. To me, Alm is an avatar in all but name, and the protagonist worship is equally obnoxious.

But I'd argue that the only thing that makes Faye hated among most fans in this case is exactly that

Four people here have brought Faye up as a least favorite character, and only one wrote anything about Camilla and Tharja in the same sentence. Why do you bring in other random people on the internet's opinions which you think are only the result of a design, rather than addressing our arguments here in the thread?

Whether or not she's a good character is another matter entirely and irrelevant to what I was meaning to convey.

A meaning you tried conveying where, again, only one other person mentioned those two characters, and where we discuss our favorite and least favorite characters in a game that has nothing to do with Awakening or Fates apart from beloning to the same series.

Edited by Thane

I like most of the characters, but standouts are:

• Saber: He's an interesting take on the typical advisor/Jeigan figure that most FEs have.
  • Clair: Funny, comes across well as a flawed but good person at heart.
  • Palla: Like pretty much everything. Most people who know me shouldn't be surprised
  • Clive: He's one of the most human characters in the game and one of the more human characters in the series, honestly.
  • Mathilda: Strong and does the whole tomboyish knight thing infinitely better than Cecile or Sully.
  • Celica: Actually has flaws that mean something and a thought process that makes sense and can be funny without being either generically endearingly dorky (like Chrom and Alm) or sounding like a Joss Whedon character (like most 3DS FE characters). Frankly, a lot of the critique I see about her being dumb in Act IV is often blown out of proportion or blatantly false and demonstrates the lack of reading comprehension people have.
  • Gray and Tobin: The best bros.

I guess my least favorites are Rudolf, Alm, and Faye, but I'm mostly neutral on Faye because she keeps her mouth shut and she actually has the balls to confess her feelings, which is frankly refreshing.

2 hours ago, Dark Sage said:

Replace Palla with Est, Tobin and Gray with Boey and Mae, and Saber with Lukas and this is my list tbh.

If I had to pick a least favourite, it'd be Delthea. She's very shrill (and I used her a lot because Alm's mages are mediocre) and her character is kind of inconsistent.

Lukas - It's nice to have a "cold observer" who is still very much human, it's a lot more realistic than the usual "emotionally distant character" trope. He probably is my favorite character in Shadows of Valentia. The best part? He is also friggin' self aware, a trait severely lacking in most characters and also people irl.

Clive - What a nice guy. Honestly, not a great leader, he is too humble and can't seem to put his foot down when he needs to, which makes me like his character even more. Also, his relationship with Mathilda is so adorable!

I like many more characters, but those two deserve the top spot.

Dislikes

Rudolf - I wouldn't be surprised if he shared a bed with Corrin.

Most of the villains - None of them are remotely interesting.

Man, I really liked these sets of characters. I'm going to pick a lot.

Alm's Group:

1. Lukas is definitely a favorite. He's such a chill guy without being considered boring. The fact that he's aware of his emptiness brings a nice self-questioning character. It's quite nice to know that he was a charmer in his past, trying to court a woman. I wish they referenced this in the end somehow, but I guess not. The Deliverance DLC did so much for him.

2. Forsyth is great. After playing Fates and Awakening, I think it's nice to see a soldier who's driven for the sake of knighthood. Everyone seems to find him boring because of that, but I'm glad we got someone like him.

3. Delthea is a lovable loli brat. I'm glad the youngest looking was ACTUALLY the youngest this time and is actually clothed well. Nyx and Nowi are super jailbait, being barely covered but it's okay because "they're actually old". She's only thirteen, so I think being somewhat obnoxious the way she is is normal. She's much better than some of the one's I've seen IRL. I do find her character a bit conflicting though. She hates being noted for her magic but likes to brag about it too.

4. Tobin is my favorite of the Ram boys. I like Kliff and Gray, but I feel like Tobin added a lot more to the dialogue. He brought cluelessness and struggle in his character. Many times, he is conflicted with what to do, and for a village boy who wants the best for his family, his character works well.

5. Tatiana. I've never been familiar with Camus, so I don't relate to some of the people who don't like her. She's clumsy and self-aware of it, but it's nothing that holda her back. She tries very hard to do what she can, and I enjoy her character for that.

Celica's Group:

1. Genny. Invoke has saved my ass many times. Lol, but for reals. Her design is adorable, a little too young be my age though. Her Sonya support tells us a bit about her past, and I wish she had more, especially since Sonya will not always be available.

2. Kamui, the asian merc. I know we just came from Hoshido, but tbh, the Hoshidans were just animu. His design is my favorite of all the guys, and I forever love it. Plus, he was a much better merc for me than Saber. Great offensively, and pretty decent defensively.

3. Sonya is fanservice but good. She's got a generally "sexy" design with a likable personality and no over obsession like the last two fanservice characters.

4. Catria is my favorite of the Whitewings. Her design is lovely and she's my best Peg knight of the four in game (excluding Emma). I've been attached to this character for while (hoping she gets in Warriors). As a middle child, I understand where most of her is coming from. I seriously need to play SD. I'll give Palla an honorable mention. She sucked in game for me, but I liked the base convo where she wants girl talk with Celica.

And now for Dislikes

Alm's Group

1. Python. I like the dude, it's just that he was an unbelievably terrible unit. He did almost no damage, and even when he can kill an enemy with around 3 HP left, he misses. RNG is harsh towards the guy.

2. Faye. I'm mostly neutral towards her, but she was really wasted potential and the image I had for her before we discovered her character is ruined. My first impression of her design was very different; I thought she would act as an older sister, sticking up for her friends and sometimes it would even get her into trouble, but nah. Nothing is wrong with liking someone. When it contributes to a lot of actions, there is. The ones who do show love interest in the story can at least exist without their interest. I've also developed some sort of headcanon (if that's what they're called) to remedy for her crap ending. 

Spoiler

Her disappearances are her helping Silque to heal those all around Valentia.

Something else I want to say. Most people dislike her as a character, not as a person. It's not that we think she's a shitty person, we think she's a very wasted character.

Celica's Group:

1. Deen, the guy I'll never use. I'm basically never going to recruit him. I miss out on Sonya and Genny's only support.

2. Valbar was really uninteresting. He had a sob story and that was pretty much it. His design was cool, but nothing else really.

3. Jedah. Not because he's the bad guy, but because the design they chose for this bad guy. I can't take it very seriously when he looks like he came out of Scooby-doo. (Not on Celica's team but whatever)

Edited by KongDude

As far as Alm is concerned, I mostly just don't like how he's treated.  Everything is just convenient for him; everyone who's a "good guy" showers him with praise and unlike Celica he's never made to face any adversity that is born out of one of his own traits other than killing Rudolf, and to even say that event is all that relevant to his character is a stretch.

But I like him better than Corrin because he isn't quite at that level of naive and is actually a studied combatant.  As far as war readiness, he's like a lesser Roy.  The rest of his character isn't remarkable; just a shonen protagonist.  But I want more from my protagonists than boring trite like that, and more than that I want them to actually progress as a character.

Anyway, here are my lists.

Faves (Alm's side)

• Villager Trio: I mostly like Tobin and Gray here, but Cliff is okay, too.  I like the dynamic they have.
  • Clair: Probably my favorite from Alm's group, even if she progressively becomes less relevant.  Lately I've been liking the pompous lady types in these games, so this just comes naturally.
  • Mathilda: Even though she's a prisoner you need to rescue like every single woman in Alm's path, she's a certified bad ass.  I do like her ending when Clive is killed, as bitter as such an ending may be.
  • Luthier: I just like his attitude and voice, mostly.
  • Lukas/Silque: Silquey smooth voices.
  • Mycen: He's just my favorite Jeigan-like character in the series, not counting those who are more like Oifey.  Even as flawed as elements of the story may be, I can't bring myself to dislike this guy in any way.  It's just too bad our Bad Grandpa can't really improve himself enough to take on the Thabes Labyrinth, otherwise I'd totally have used him there.

Faves (Celica's side)

• Boey and Mae: Like the villagers, they've got a good dynamic going.  It's a ship I'm totally cool with, and I just really like Mae.
  • Saber and Jesse: The vet and the newb dynamic works well here, and beyond that they're appealing characters in their own rights.  It's funny how Saber sort of takes on the Jeigan role both in gameplay and in story, even if it isn't immediately apparent.
  • The Whitewings: I'm sure some here already know that I like Catria a lot, but I like the other two as well.  Though I sort of shudder every time I see people sexualizing Est.  Catria is bae, tho.  No qwuestionne.
  • Sonya: People on GameFAQs keep saying she has severe manface, and it makes me hate that site all the more.  Being a guy, I don't want to sound like a judgmental fuckboy when talking about this sort of thing, so I'll try to say this carefully.  Sonya has a fanservicey design, but it isn't shoved in your face shamelessly.  And she also celebrates her own beauty.  I think both of these things in combination make her sexualization more... tasteful.  It doesn't feel like the game is treating her like a piece of meat, which seems like a rare thing for Japan.  Ultimately, I appreciate it.
    Beyond that, I like her tie-ins with the story and her supports with Genny.  Even if both are somewhat minimalist, I still appreciate them.  It also helps that she doesn't worship the protagonist like certain fanservicey characters do.
  • Valbar: If you really want to know why I like him, just read his supports with Leon.  He's more of an inspiration than Alm could ever be, IMO.  Plus, he is chin.  Heck, he could be the next Crimson Chin.

Faves (Villains)

• Rudolf: Okay, he's actually the only villain I really like as a character.  Again, there may be flaws in his writing or in the writing of his story with Alm, but I just have a soft spot for these kinds of tragic villains, and I think he's better done than some like Anankos.
  • Grieth: More of a gameplay/worldbuilding element, though he is slightly amusing in the way a Saturday cartoon villain would be (maybe it's just the voice acting).  But from the start of Celica's route until the moment you meet him, he's already a big presence, and fighting him is actually a bit of a (tedious) challenge.  But he's the only other villain who stood out to me in this game, which doesn't bode particularly well because he isn't exactly great.
  • Jedi: That's right, JediSuperSonic, the SF editor who writes articles on FE Warriors, is the true villain of SoV, and the pinnacle of villains in FE, really.  I mean Jedah here, but I just can't get over this name change.  He isn't remarkable, but his voice work is top notch, IMO.  Maybe it's because it's the same talent as Walhart.

Detestables

• Faye: Alright, people have had discussions over the moon and back about this character.  I don't hate her, but she isn't a very good addition to the game.  Her main prerogative is to worship Alm, a purpose that's already trite in nature.  The fact that it's the only female character who doesn't get captured in Alm's route and the fact that she's the only new playable female character makes her catering to this trope come across as blatantly sexist as well, no matter how well she actually is written.  And really, I wanted her to be as well-rounded as the other villagers, but she... kinda isn't.
  • Berkut and Fernand: I lumped them together because they're both disappointing villains.  Berkut is a whiny, power-hungry child who randomly becomes a good person when Rinea comes down from Heaven (I guess, anyway; that's what it seems to imply) to bring him back with her.  Fernand is similar; is a total bitch who acts like a dick to even people he's really close to, but then finally sees the error of his ways when he's killed because this is an anime, I guess.  The latter had more potential to be a decent villain, though.  There are ways he could've been tweaked to make him all the more a compelling villain.  But he just boils down to "hate commoners" up until the end, and his own death doesn't really do anything for me.  If everyone "see's the light" when they're near death, you'd get a lot more confessions from characters as dastardly as Desaix.  But you don't; it's just a convenient plot device to make you feel sympathy for the better looking villains.
  • Rinea: Not terrible; just bland.  Why the hell is she so smitten by that power-hungry man-child?  All I could really gather that was realistic and consistent was that Berkut was the one smitten, and because he was above her station and was showering her with flowery words, she felt obligated to love him.  And beyond that, I never like it when a female character's sole purpose is to be a man's lover.  That's some 1950's nuclear family housewife shit, and it makes me feel uncomfortable every time I encounter it in modern media.
  • Shizas: It's detestable he isn't in the game; he already has the makings to be a better foe than Berkut.  Look at how many times he has a freakout about Alm versus how many times Berkut does.  It's funny 'cuz he doesn't say anything at all... no spaghetti, maximum regretti.