Where would Fire Emblem be if Shouzou Kaga didn't leave IS?

Armagon

7 hours ago, Hardin said:

Binding Blade simplified the gameplay of Fire Emblem. It removed dismounting, it abandoned fatigue and capturing, the skill system was removed, it reduced the number of classes, and the magic triangle was streamlined. The game was still challenging, but there was a conscious effort to remove things that over-complicated the games for more casual fans. You look at TRS in comparison, and it while it does drop some of the features from the Jugdral saga, it still maintains a lot of them. 

And let's be honest, we know that Kaga killed one franchise. I don't think it's a stretch that he would have killed FE if left at the helm. 

Those simplification was pretty unique to the GBA games, and once we got to Tellius, we got most of those things back. Ignoring the things TRS didn't keep, or heavily modified, and Tellius didn't have THAT much less going on than the Kaga games. And I don't think there's a person in the world who doesn't have a mature, malignant brain tumor that would call PoR "over complicated". 

Even the 3DS games, far and away the most popular in the franchise, and regardless of how you feel about the games, have WAAAAAAY more going on than the GBA games. 

Pretty much the only thing from the Kaga era games that hasn't made its way into back newer games is mounting/dismounting, and once again, I don't think there's a person who has played 776 that didn't think it wasn't a good idea, even if the execution made sword cavs 10x more desirable than other mounted units. 

Edited by Slumber

If the things I hear about Thracia 776's excessive complexity are true, I think the series would remain Japan-only and eventually die off as Nintendo's home consoles lost ground to Sony worldwide. A FE in the N64 wouldn't make any sense because the system was a major failure in Japan, largely because it didn't have enough JRPGs with shiny FMVs (which were the trend at the time), and on the 64DD, even less, as you'd be forcing people to buy an addon for a console they didn't own. There was a better business case for the Sega CD than for the 64DD, and look how that went.

In that generation, Shining Force on the Saturn actually got a more grandiose release than FE and was in a better position to be successful as that series had already made the transition to the West back in the Genesis days, but Sega's incompetence ("the Saturn is not our future") meant it was all futile.

6 hours ago, Slumber said:

Those simplification was pretty unique to the GBA games, and once we got to Tellius, we got most of those things back. Ignoring the things TRS didn't keep, or heavily modified, and Tellius didn't have THAT much less going on than the Kaga games. And I don't think there's a person in the world who doesn't have a mature, malignant brain tumor that would call PoR "over complicated". 

Even the 3DS games, far and away the most popular in the franchise, and regardless of how you feel about the games, have WAAAAAAY more going on than the GBA games. 

Pretty much the only thing from the Kaga era games that hasn't made its way into back newer games is mounting/dismounting, and once again, I don't think there's a person who has played 776 that didn't think it wasn't a good idea, even if the execution made sword cavs 10x more desirable than other mounted units. 

What you're forgetting, is the personnel behind the scenes who make those decisions changes over time. For the first two GBA games, Takehiro Izushi was in charge of the franchise and he absolutely wanted the games to be simpler. After he retired, Hitoshi Yamagami took over and started reintroducing classic features into the games. 

• 8 months later...